exo / Réseau de transport métropolitain (formerly AMT)

kellergraham

16 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Does anyone know why Gare Ahuntsic did not get a high platform for its main platform? I thought this track was considered a siding where there shouldn’t be any freight trains.

My guess would be that since this siding is owned by the CN, they would never allow to build a high platform. The siding could theoretically be used by freight trains too.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:34 AM, FelixINX said:

My guess would be that since this siding is owned by the CN, they would never allow to build a high platform. The siding could theoretically be used by freight trains too.

Strange though that they electrified on that section of track though. Were they sure that no double-stacks would need to pass there? (here's a video of the location)

23 hours ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

Strange though that they electrified on that section of track though. Were they sure that no double-stacks would need to pass there? (here's a video of the location)

It's a good point, but looking at Google Satellite, I think my first idea is wrong. On the Rail Canadian Atlas, there is a switch at either ends of the siding, but on Satellite view, there is no switch to enter the siding from Taschereau, which makes the siding difficult to use for freight trains.

I have simply no idea why it's a low platform then. Strict CN rules?

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/commuterregional/first-look-montreals-crrc-multilevels/

Exo’s first two CRRC multilevels are on their way to Montreal. In the coming days, they will arrive at the Pointe-Saint-Charles maintenance center.

First Look: Montreal’s CRRC Multilevels
Written by Marybeth Luczak, Executive Editor
February 03, 2022

Early this month, CRRC will deliver the first two of 44 multilevel railcars to exo, Montreal’s regional/commuter rail and bus system.

The agency—officially known as Réseau de Transport Métropolitain, or RTM—placed a 24-car order with CRRC in 2017 and exercised an option for an additional 20 in 2019. Included are eight cab cars and 36 trailer cars. The total order is valued at nearly C$196 million; funding was provided by the government of Québec through the Programme d’aide gouvernementale au transport collectif des personnes (PAGTCP).

The new multilevels, which can accommodate up to 147 seated riders, will modernize the exo fleet and run first on the exo2 Saint-Jérôme line. They “have been adapted to exo’s needs through a collaboration between the project team and the manufacturer, CRRC,” the agency reported. “This substantial order has also enabled a dozen Canadian suppliers, including eight from Quebec, to build and develop partnerships with CRRC. More than 28% of the content in the cars is local.”

The first two multilevels will be delivered to exo’s Pointe-Saint-Charles maintenance center, where they will undergo “minor finishing work and assessment,” including complete mechanical safety checks and static tests. In the coming months, the cars will put through dynamic testing on the network as well as brake tests.

Exo said it expects to receive 32 more cars over the course of the year. Those cars, plus the initial two, are slated to enter service in early 2023. The final 10 are “undergoing final adjustments to be accessible to passengers with reduced mobility,” exo said; they will be delivered at a later date, with service expected in 2024.

Delivery had been scheduled to begin in June 2019, but was delayed “due mainly to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as technical adjustments to the cars and increased local content,” exo reported.

“Throughout the project, we’ve worked very closely with the supplier to design the cars,” said Michael Émond, Director, Maintenance and Rolling Stock Project Management at exo. “Our maintenance teams are in place to complete the necessary tests and assessment to put the cars into service. The result is very high-quality cars that are specifically designed to meet our needs, giving our customers an exceptional, state-of-the-art travel experience.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

That's a major fuck-up, no way around it.

Why were they even shipping these cars on flatcars in the first place? Commuter rail cars usually get delivered in regular freight consists, given that they're designed and certified/qualified to operate on the same rails they're being delivered on, and I've never heard of one needing to ride a flatcar. Unless there's some extremely odd design choices such as lacking standard couplers or some other end clearance-related issues preventing them from being joined with regular freight cars... Being double decks they're already tall cars before being jacked up on top of a flatcar, so I can't imagine why they felt that was a smart choice to ship them like that.

Strong possibility that the car will need to be replaced, and considering this was a "prototype" car, it will likely slow down the already extremely delayed procurement for this order.

6 hours ago, Articulated said:

That's a major fuck-up, no way around it.

Why were they even shipping these cars on flatcars in the first place? Commuter rail cars usually get delivered in regular freight consists, given that they're designed and certified/qualified to operate on the same rails they're being delivered on, and I've never heard of one needing to ride a flatcar. Unless there's some extremely odd design choices such as lacking standard couplers or some other end clearance-related issues preventing them from being joined with regular freight cars... Being double decks they're already tall cars before being jacked up on top of a flatcar, so I can't imagine why they felt that was a smart choice to ship them like that.

Strong possibility that the car will need to be replaced, and considering this was a "prototype" car, it will likely slow down the already extremely delayed procurement for this order.

I couldn't say it better than you...

The cars are probably not certified yet, since they come from China and this is CRRC's first car in Canada. I also don't understand why the cars were heading towards Central Station? They could very well have entered the yard directly from the Victoria Bridge.

This order is getting worse and worse every year.

On 2/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, FelixINX said:

I couldn't say it better than you...

The cars are probably not certified yet, since they come from China and this is CRRC's first car in Canada. I also don't understand why the cars were heading towards Central Station? They could very well have entered the yard directly from the Victoria Bridge.

This order is getting worse and worse every year.

The flatcars were used as per someone i spoke to at Taschreau Yard they are not Transport Canada certified yet. The CN convoi came from Taschreau yard and had to Y their train to get into the PSC yard in order to get to the exo yard

The accident is quite unfortunate and seems like it was very avoidable. The historic catenary will probably be dismantled as a result.

exo is saying the CRRC bilevels will go into service on the St-Jerome line in 2023, at which time the 700s will be retired from the Candiac line.

Any word on what cars will get sent to the Candiac line?

Since there are only 4 cab cars in the 2000 series, and the Candiac line needs 4 train sets, which wouldn't leave any spare cab cars leftover, I would guess the 3000s will make their return to the Candiac line. But I don't have any official info.

22 hours ago, rgilmtl said:

In seriousness, Aren't double deckers banned over the St-Laurent River bridge due to concerns over wind?

After the Great Boxcar Dangle of 2006, the 3000 series cars - and double-stacks - are not allowed on the bridge whenever wind speed is 85 km/h or more.

• 2 weeks later...

So what would happen when it gets windy? From the discussion above, what I get is they'll no longer keep any single-deck rolling stocks.

exo posted a video of the CRRC trains: https://exo.quebec/fr/actualites/nouvelles-voitures-de-train. The passenger coach numbered #2100 seem to be the victim of the delivery incident, although it's hard to tell.

exo_crrc.thumb.png.fb7f6db813bb3d46de86fba09e0c500f.png

Finally, it seems like there's not really any wiki template for exo at the moment with the fleet and bus sectors listed, so I made one basing off the old AMT template. Any feedbacks and suggestions are welcome.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Template:Exo_new_template_conception

4 hours ago, Frozen Yogurt said:

Finally, it seems like there's not really any wiki template for exo at the moment with the fleet and bus sectors listed, so I made one basing off the old AMT template. Any feedbacks and suggestions are welcome.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Template:Exo_new_template_conception

I was following your creation of the template - it looks good! Very simple and well laid out, it contains all of the systems in logical placement.

The only suggestion I might have is to add the exo line numbers (i.e. "exo1 (Vaudreil-Hudson)" since Exo now seems to refer to the train lines more often by their number than their name.

2 hours ago, Articulated said:

I was following your creation of the template - it looks good! Very simple and well laid out, it contains all of the systems in logical placement.

The only suggestion I might have is to add the exo line numbers (i.e. "exo1 (Vaudreil-Hudson)" since Exo now seems to refer to the train lines more often by their number than their name.

Thanks! I like your suggestion of putting the line name inside brackets. Initially, I considered putting the route number as shown on individual route pages, but the result had too many dashes (it would say "exo1 - Vaudreuil-Hudson - exo2 - Saint-Jérôme - [...]"). This is a fantastic solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Some things I noticed at the exo public board meeting:

• They confirmed that double deckers can be run on the Candiac line
  • They suggested to one person that they file an access-to-information request to find out what will happen to the MR-90s
  • There's potential to add service to the St-Hilaire line on weekends and on the St-jerome line in general
  • There's concern about the future of the Mascouche line with the REM de l'Est coming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 11:50 PM, Chris_the_traveller said:

Some things I noticed at the exo public board meeting:

• They suggested to one person that they file an access-to-information request to find out what will happen to the MR-90s

Sounds like some people there don't exactly believe in proactive disclosure.

• 3 months later...
On 8/10/2022 at 11:57 PM, MTL66 said:

exo recently announced that the 700-Series cars will be retired by next week. They currently operate only on the Candiac Line. These are the last STCUM purchased railcars in service.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChGoXtINoUz/

Seems like I took the set led by 701 on its last ever trip (train 80 yesterday morning). It went out of service afterwards and got replaced with a 3-car multilevel set led by 3017 for PM rush. The other 3 consists (705, 707, 708 as cab cars) were all at Lucien L'Allier this morning, and I took the one with 708.

20220811_090732.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 5:50 PM, Mark Walton said:

All but 2 MR-90 cars apparently destined for preservation will be scrapped: Les trains de l’ancienne ligne Deux-Montagnes seront mis à la ferraille | Radio-Canada.ca

>Avant même la fin du service, l'exploitant exo avait l'espoir de trouver un acquéreur qui aurait pu prolonger la vie utile des 56 voitures MR-90, qui avaient été construites à l'usine de Bombardier à La Pocatière en 1995.

The fact that they only check the one in america instead of giving it in a country in Africa or Asia, even eastern europe shows me how lazy exo is. At least they are only keeping 2

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bus_Dealership said:

>Avant même la fin du service, l'exploitant exo avait l'espoir de trouver un acquéreur qui aurait pu prolonger la vie utile des 56 voitures MR-90, qui avaient été construites à l'usine de Bombardier à La Pocatière en 1995.

The fact that they only check the one in america instead of giving it in a country in Africa or Asia, even eastern europe shows me how lazy exo is. At least they are only keeping 2

What?

These aren’t puppies up for adoption.

The onus is on buyers in need of cars to seek out sellers, not the other way around. The public transit entities of the world have had more than ample time to express any interest.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

What?

These aren’t puppies up for adoption.

The onus is on buyers in need of cars to seek out sellers, not the other way around. The public transit entities of the world have had more than ample time to express any interest.

Besides, like with Nigeria and the TTC, why get well used North American rolling stock when China can give you something new for the same or lower price.

• Like 1