exo / Réseau de transport métropolitain (formerly AMT)

kellergraham

The only reason I can guess that AMT is running 8 cars instead of 10 on the DM line is that they have a backlog of repairs and/or they ran out of spare parts.

Running trains over capacity for a small periods of time would not probably cause problems but it has been a number of years now that the rush hour trains are way over capacity.

The persons frequenting this discussion board seem to know what to do better than AMT :lol: .

As far as I can see (DM line) so far is that the East - West junction underpass should have been built already to be able to increase traffic.

All lines to be at least "GREEN" should have been electrified. Quebec produces no oil but a lot of electricity.

Common equipment to run on the electrified lines should have been ordered.

Heated storage and maintenance garages built to house the trains so they are well maintained and free from "ICE".

Just my thoughts, but I am not a high paid transportation executive so do not know very much.

I'm not saying that the photographer is wrong, but I'd like to see a credible source that these are coming to Montreal. I haven't heard anything yet.

It dont make sence to me , thats why im asking you Montreal guys, all i could think is maybe to replace the leased ex Amtrak F40's already leased from Railworld?

I wouldnt be surpised if Railworld bought them for the prime movers to send to Poland

More delays on 2 AMT lines this morning... of 15 and 20 minutes.. Also, I man in the west island has filed a class action lawsuit against the AMT that could total $65 million!

From CJAD:

"A Pincourt man has filed a request for a class action lawsuit against the AMT on behalf of the Greater Montreal region's 45,000 regular trains users.

The request calls for a refund of 30% of the cost of every monthly pass for every rider, retroactive to December 2007 Plus, an extra thousand dollars in damages and interest for each rider.

If it the suit goes through, it could cost the transit agency as much as $65-million."

More delays on 2 AMT lines this morning... of 15 and 20 minutes.. Also, I man in the west island has filed a class action lawsuit against the AMT that could total $65 million!

From CJAD:

"A Pincourt man has filed a request for a class action lawsuit against the AMT on behalf of the Greater Montreal region's 45,000 regular trains users.

The request calls for a refund of 30% of the cost of every monthly pass for every rider, retroactive to December 2007 Plus, an extra thousand dollars in damages and interest for each rider.

If it the suit goes through, it could cost the transit agency as much as $65-million."

Retroactive to December 2007??? The punctuality on the DM line was been excellent until this January. Only a few delays in winter which is to be expected. The Lakeshore line has had it's delays but nothing to justify a 30% refund. I guess it's just someone else trying to get attention like Ania Kazi. I hope this gets rejected.

I just found out from reading the Gazette that the DM line has been plagued with mechanical problems. The traction motors need to be revised again due to water infiltration in the winter. This is why they are only running 8 cars instead of 10. Repairs should be done by June for a cost of 3 million...HA! This will also be the fifth time they are revising the design!!!

The best part is a quote from Nacy Frechette from the AMT "Last year, the AMT ordered a new type of Bombardier locomotive. The 20 units, which cost $263 million, are dualpowered, meaning they run under diesel power or electricity. Bombardier bills them as a “North American first.”

Nancy Fréchette, AMT vice-president of operations, said she has great confidence in the locomotives, noting Bombardier is using proven diesel and electric technology."

Using proven diesel and electric technology????? hahahaha It's great to see that the VP operations for the AMT knows nothing!

These units are super experimental, and they expect them to be more reliable than the DM line which uses actual proven technology?

I just found out from reading the Gazette that the DM line has been plagued with mechanical problems. The traction motors need to be revised again due to water infiltration in the winter. This is why they are only running 8 cars instead of 10. Repairs should be done by June for a cost of 3 million...HA! This will also be the fifth time they are revising the design!!!

The best part is a quote from Nacy Frechette from the AMT "Last year, the AMT ordered a new type of Bombardier locomotive. The 20 units, which cost $263 million, are dualpowered, meaning they run under diesel power or electricity. Bombardier bills them as a “North American first.”

Nancy Fréchette, AMT vice-president of operations, said she has great confidence in the locomotives, noting Bombardier is using proven diesel and electric technology."

Using proven diesel and electric technology????? hahahaha It's great to see that the VP operations for the AMT knows nothing!

These units are super experimental, and they expect them to be more reliable than the DM line which uses actual proven technology?

OK, lets get one thing straight. The MR-90s have provided a fantastic service save for this winter and the weeks following the inauguration in 1995. Prior to this winter you could have set your watch to the DM line. I was a daily user of the DM line from 2002-2006 (and still use it fairly regularly now) and I could say I was late for work about 2-3 times per year (about 1% of the time). Please provide more information (The Gazette doesn't count*) about this being the 5th redesign.

*Oh, and the Scandal Daily News (aka 24 Heures) doesn't count either.

End of Rant.

I agree. I have been a daily user of the DM line for the past 10 years. You're right, before this winter the train were always on time. I couldn't remeber when I was left stranded. I think I was stuck twice on the train in 10 years.

I don't have any other source to say that this is the 5th time they have updated the traction motors. It's just strange that everything wrong is happening this winter. Maybe the extreme cold in January cracked the seals or insulation in the traction motors.....something that shouldn't happen anyways. All diesel locomotives have electric motors, and you don't hear of them shorting out.

Guess no one else read the Gazette today.

Interesting stuff pertaining to the AMT.

AMT FEB 11th

Other than what has been said already:

-Return to the old schedule starting on Monday during AM rush only. Thank God! This was an obvious problem from the start.

-In a related story, a passenger-induced delay of 20 min, after a West-Islander and a DM resident had an altercation over the new sched, resulting in the emergency brake being pulled.

(The DM resident complained they were loosing service!....I want to punch this guy straight in the face, for one, it's service they didn't have until January, and two, West-Island residents deserve the service they were and will get once again with the old schedule, this guy should shut up and blame himself for moving to a suburban wasteland.)

-Cars still reduced to 8 card until problems are fixed in June (and yeah, IMO the equipment on the DM line has always been reliable, although I am not impressed that they keep having to rebuild the electrical system. Stuff like this put Budd out of business, but since Bombardier is really the only manufacturer of railway equipment left in NA, we don't really have a choice anymore...this isn't so good.)

-Shuttle buses, that's right shuttle buses, to provide service from Deux Montagnes, Ste. Doro-thée, Roxboro-Pierrefonds, Sunnybrooke and Du Ruisseau stations to the Métro.

This means direct service from DM to Cote-Vertu! And this will last until the cars are fixed! Get your cameras ready. Wonder what the schedules will be like and what equipment they will use.

-Discounts will be offered (albeit in a complicated way) to those affected.

All the details can be found in this article, including the altercation:

DETAILS

...Stuff like this put Budd out of business, but since Bombardier is really the only manufacturer of railway equipment left in NA, we don't really have a choice anymore...this isn't so good.)

It wasn't "stuff like this" that put Budd out of business (and in reality, they are not out of business - they still produce car parts, which was their original business). The only units that Budd built completely were the RDC's - all of the mechanicals for their electrically powered rolling stock was provided, and generally assembled, by GE.

And there are other builders available in NA as well - Rotem is building new cars for SEPTA (which have largely the same specs as what you Montréalers need, hint hint), and Kawasaki is building the M8 railcars for Metro-North. And let's not forget about GE, who is more than capable of providing at the very least electrical and control equipment, and at the most complete cars.

Dan

It wasn't "stuff like this" that put Budd out of business (and in reality, they are not out of business - they still produce car parts, which was their original business). The only units that Budd built completely were the RDC's - all of the mechanicals for their electrically powered rolling stock was provided, and generally assembled, by GE.

And there are other builders available in NA as well - Rotem is building new cars for SEPTA (which have largely the same specs as what you Montréalers need, hint hint), and Kawasaki is building the M8 railcars for Metro-North. And let's not forget about GE, who is more than capable of providing at the very least electrical and control equipment, and at the most complete cars.

Dan

Also Alstom still a player in the north american market