exo / Réseau de transport métropolitain (formerly AMT)

kellergraham

It appears as though the AMT is "GO"ing towards a more dynamic user experience on their website. They seemed to have launched Info-Train a website that displays the current train's status and ontime performance.

The page is blank but is online:

http://www.amt.qc.ca/comm/info_train.asp

Alex

But if you go to the very bottom of the page, you can read

This website is updated daily between 8:00 and 16:00 with exception in this range, like 12 to 1 for lunch, 15 minutes morning and afternoon coffee break and during meetings and press conference. Oh, if the computer guy is sick ... no updates "itou!"

:)

Seems 25 years to electrify all the lines (existing technology) and equipment (also existing technology) is ridiculous.

AMT is lucky that there is no maximum operating capacity on the trains since they can stuff people into the doorways to way over what is safe. Hopefully there won’t be an accident since this could be catastrophic.

Maybe they can place handles on the outside of the cars for people to hang on to :) .

Oops better not give them ideas!

But if you go to the very bottom of the page, you can read

This website is updated daily between 8:00 and 16:00 with exception in this range, like 12 to 1 for lunch, 15 minutes morning and afternoon coffee break and during meetings and press conference. Oh, if the computer guy is sick ... no updates "itou!"

:lol:

It also says that the page was last updated on 02/21/07 !!!!

That's the plan to electrify the whole network by 2035

See this thread for more information: http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=5505

These locomotives are required for the transition from a diesel to a electric network.

Also, these locomotives and the 160 new bilevels are part of a standardisation program at the AMT. They want every new locomotive and every new passenger car to be able to operate on any line (including the DM line).

I still don't see why the dual power locomotives. They are going to be complex, and probably harder to maintain and won't last as long. I would just concentrate on making an entire electric network. I don't really know a lot about locomotives, but would it be possible to have an electric and a diesel locomotive at the end of the train. They could just shutdown the diesel one while heading into the tunnnel and tow it as a dead weight. It would only be through the tunnel, so it wouldn't have to work hard for long. Or they could come up with a quick efficent uncouple / couple routine. As they electrify the network, they could just slowly get rid of the diesels.

I don't know if my idea will work, but it just sounds so much simpler than experimental and really expensive locomotives.

I just spotted this on the AMT info train site:

http://www.amt.qc.ca/comm/affiche_info_train.asp#DM

DM Line

15:30-19:00 - Réduction du nombre de voitures en pointe p.m.

- - - Les trains seront composés de 8 voitures au lieu de 10.

So, during rush hour when the trains are really packed, they are going to eliminate 2 cars / train???? What the #$%# is going on here? The AMT claims to have added two extra cars in the AM making a 12 car train (Which has yet to be seen by anyone I know), and now they are removing two cars in the PM??? Hopefully it is for today only!

The DM 16:05 train was only 8 cars. This is OK since it stops at Roxboro-Pierrefonds and is "at capacity".

With less cars it is crowded but not too bad.

I really hope that it is only today that the PM trains are shorter because over crowding would be horrific.

But could this be an AMT strategy making the service bad enough to limit the amount of people using?

Tuesday Feb 3rd, 2009:

pointe a.m. 6:00 - 10:00 - Réduction de voitures

- - - Les trains circulent avec 8 voitures au lieu de 10.

I took the train this morning and it had only 8 cars. What a disaster! I really want to know what the #$%# is going on. They reduced all their trains by two cars? They have that many cars out due to maintainence??? Like I said before, something is up with the AMT and they are not telling us. This has never happen before from what I can remember, and I have been taking the train for 10 years.

Tuesday Feb 3rd, 2009:

pointe a.m. 6:00 - 10:00 - Réduction de voitures

- - - Les trains circulent avec 8 voitures au lieu de 10.

I took the train this morning and it had only 8 cars. What a disaster! I really want to know what the #$%# is going on. They reduced all their trains by two cars? They have that many cars out due to maintainence??? Like I said before, something is up with the AMT and they are not telling us. This has never happen before from what I can remember, and I have been taking the train for 10 years.

and the only thing you keep hearing from the AMT all the time is that their fixing all the problems.. :wacko:

Apparently the same thing with the short trains is happening on the other lines too.

From today's Gazette:

"Friday I paid for my February commuter-train pass, at the higher 2009 rate.

Monday morning my inbound Dorion-line train was about 10 minutes late (with no announcement) and packed to the doors, literally. It didn’t have the usual kind of cars, either; I think it was an earlier train running late.

At the downtown station I had to line up to complain to the poor flak-catcher they station there. He told me “all the trains are short today” because some cars were being repaired.

Another week off to a great start, thanks to the AMT. "

Again, what is going on?????

Ideally this would be a Roxboro-Pierrefonds departure during AM rush. I'm no train expert and I haven't studied the schedule, but this is the best case scenario of removing cars to create a new train. Why else would I even want this to happen. If anything, the demand warrants 12 car trains today at peak periods.

I arrived at my station this morning, and picked up a copy of 24heures, on the cover of which stated that as of today, all the problems at the AMT were resolved! Oh joy! However, to my dismay, my train was 10-15 minutes late, and was using a mixed set of cars (NJT), and not even all the doors on the AMT cars were working, so that left only about 4 places where people could board the train!

Oh, and there were in fact AMT employees standing on the platform...they didn't have any new information for me and my fellow passengers, on the contrary they were simply radioing in the time that our train arrived.

Today train 89 to Candiac (F59 + 2 NJT Comets + 3 AMT Comets) pulled into Montreal-West at about 16:26 (scheduled time)... but on the inbound track!

The switch at the station must have been frozen - what a surprise! (just an assumption)

This manoeuvre delayed an inbound train (F59 + AMT Comets). It was parked just west of Westminster, west of the South Jct Lead, with the locomotive lights off.

On the bright side, this may have been forward thinking from the AMT. It's possible that they knew the switch wasn't working so they redirected the train at an earlier switch.

Something really has to be done about this switch at Montreal-West station, since it is inevitably frozen relatively often.

I arrived at my station this morning, and picked up a copy of 24heures, on the cover of which stated that as of today, all the problems at the AMT were resolved! Oh joy! However, to my dismay, my train was 10-15 minutes late, and was using a mixed set of cars (NJT), and not even all the doors on the AMT cars were working, so that left only about 4 places where people could board the train!

Oh, and there were in fact AMT employees standing on the platform...they didn't have any new information for me and my fellow passengers, on the contrary they were simply radioing in the time that our train arrived.

The Scandal Daily News didn't say all the train problems were resolved, they said that it's getting better. No overnight success story.

On the bright side, this may have been forward thinking from the AMT. It's possible that they knew the switch wasn't working so they redirected the train at an earlier switch.

Something really has to be done about this switch at Montreal-West station, since it is inevitably frozen relatively often.

I don't think the AMT control any switch. I don't know where is located cpr's control room for this subdivision, but this switch may be activated by someone (or some computer) somewhere in toronto...

CPR has a small shelter that's usually staffed with a few employees right at Mo-West, and I often see them out digging and scraping and melting ice on the switches around the station. It seems to me like they're doing quite a bit, but possibly there's a mechanical defect with the switch itself, or the person/computer doing the switching...

I saw on RDI Express that the provincial govt is giving the AMT one week to solve their problems. Finally the Charest govt is leaning on the AMT! This is great!

There's a big article about this in La Presse too on the 3rd page.

Here's the Montreal Gaztte article:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/boss+given+...1522/story.html