exo / Réseau de transport métropolitain (formerly AMT)

kellergraham

((INTRO))

I just realized there's no thread for general AMT discussions (looked in Quebec and Railway)

So I created this thread for a general discussion of the AMT. It's fare structure, express buses, train services, contracting, etc...

Here's the first post...

((/INTRO))

Just got a Press Release from the AMT:

Joel Gauthier will be addressing the media this Sunday with regards to the lateness and cancellations that have plagued the AMT this week

The meeting will be at Lucien L'Allier Train Station this Sunday between 13:30 and 15:00

Alex

How is the NJT equipment working out for you guys, other than the one GP40-2FH that crapped out?

Dan

From what I heard the major complain is the doors not opening on those cars.

I actually ended up going to this Press Conference this afternoon at Lucien L'Allier. The AMT sent an F40 (243) and some ex-GO equipment which served as a filler footage for the report.

It wasn't setup in the format I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be an open Q&A with members of the media. My intention wasn't to ask any questions but to listen to answers.

Instead, Joel was granting individual interviews with newspaper reports. Daniel Randall (VP Securité), Martine Rouette (Main Media Contact), and Marie Gendron (VP Communications, Marketing) were also there.

I was just about to leave when Mr Randall approached me and asked if I had made an appointment with Mr Gauthier. I said no, that I wasn't a journalist, just a rider curious to know what was going on (I didn't say I was a transit fan).

He was more than delighted to answer a few questions I had for him. Martine Rouette also said hi.

I asked about the petition of the Deux-Montagnes line as well as the expected delivery of the Comet VI cars.

He responded that the AMT is meeting with petitioners this week to find a solution to the problem on the DM line.

As for the Comet VI cars, first delivery is expected in Fall of this year and will continue for three years. After an initial testing period they should be rolling by this time next year, if not earlier.

Alex for CPTDB News :)

I asked about the petition of the Deux-Montagnes line as well as the expected delivery of the Comet VI cars.

He responded that the AMT is meeting with petitioners this week to find a solution to the problem on the DM line.

Not being in tune (enough) with the Montréal scene, I ask: What petition of the Deux-Montagnes line?

Did you ask ask what they have planned to increase service in the long-term? It may not be a bad idea to tack some units onto SEPTA's Silverliner V order?

Dan

Not being in tune (enough) with the Montréal scene, I ask: What petition of the Deux-Montagnes line?

Did you ask ask what they have planned to increase service in the long-term? It may not be a bad idea to tack some units onto SEPTA's Silverliner V order?

Dan

The petition on the DM line is from Roxboro users upset about the cancellation of the 8:00 train (Shortturn) from Roxboro). That train now leaves DM as train #922. At first many dismissed this as being a cry baby attempt at securing their seat on the train. As of last Monday when the new schedule came into effect people discovered that not only were there of course no seats when the trains (all peak trains) got to Roxboro, but in many cases the trains were packed to the doors by Bois-Franc (my personal observation one morning).

I was only able to find French news articles on Google News Search "Roxboro AMT"

They just put out another press release as follows:

(This is the condensed version, see the full one at http://www.newswire.ca/fr/releases/archive...9/18/c8485.html

L'AMT dresse un bilan de la semaine: Mesures correctives et excuses à ses clients

Fiabilité et accroissement de la capacité d'accueil

Outre des mesures de resserrement des opérations et d'information à la clientèle, l'AMT ajoutera dans les prochains mois 14 voitures et 5 locomotives afin d'accroître la capacité d'accueil et assurer la fiabilité du service.

Ajouts par ligne :

- 5 voitures sur Dorion-Rigaud d'ici fin février

- 2 voitures sur Blainville-Saint-Jérôme d'ici deux semaines

- 2 voitures sur Delson-Candiac d'ici la fin du mois de janvier

- 3 voitures sur Mont-Saint-Hilaire d'ici lundi le 19 janvier

- 2 voitures sur Deux-Montagnes d'ici lundi le 19 janvier

"Des retards importants étaient liés à des aiguillages coincés. Le mauvais fonctionnement de ces installations lorsqu'il affecte un train en heure de pointe, crée un effet domino sur l'ensemble des départs", précise M. Gauthier.

"Le prix de l'essence et la situation économique ont amené beaucoup de nouveaux usagers. Nous sommes victimes de notre succès. Mais nous veillons quotidiennement à préserver la confiance des usagers dans la fiabilité et la qualité de notre service. Nous attendons avec impatience la livraison de nos 160 nouvelles voitures à deux étages et de nos 20 nouvelles locomotives à partir de la fin de l'année 2009, ce qui accroîtra la capacité d'accueil de 70% et règlera les problèmes de fiabilité de notre flotte vieillissante. Nous sommes également limités par des contraintes d'opérations et d'entretien et par la disponibilité des rails. Rappelons que nos trains empruntent les rails qui sont propriétés du CN et du CP qui accordent toutefois la priorité aux trains de marchandise", explique Monsieur Gauthier.

Plus de la moitié des quelques 80 nouveaux départs hebdomadaires sur le réseau des trains de banlieue cette année desservent les usagers aux heures de pointe. Près de 1000 nouveaux espaces de stationnement ont été aménagés aux abords des gares.

I'm quite interested in the 2 extra cars on the Deux-Montagnes line.

A little math:

Currently there are 58 cars (Bombardier MR-90) that can be used on the DM line

That makes 5 x 10 cars sets with 8 left over. (They originally planned for 7 x 8 car sets)

Does this mean that one particular train (maybe the 922) will have 12 cars? Stay tuned!

Alex

Currently there are 58 cars (Bombardier MR-90) that can be used on the DM line

That makes 5 x 10 cars sets with 8 left over. (They originally planned for 7 x 8 car sets)

Does this mean that one particular train (maybe the 922) will have 12 cars? Stay tuned!

This is foolish.

Can the platforms even accommodate 12 cars?

I hate it when the AMT thinks that the best solution is adding cars!

The best solution to overcrowded trains is adding more trains!

They should have those 7 sets running, that way the schedule can be more flexible!

They really need to step back and take a look at all options here.

How about the return of the Roxboro departures using shorter trains!?!

If they have 8 cars leftover, why don't go and make a train out it?

Letting good equipment sit and do nothing is the epitome of a badly run organization.

I am starting to get the feeling that the AMT is jealous of Mumbai and wants to make themselves look good by crowding their trains. <_<

This is foolish.

Can the platforms even accommodate 12 cars?

Most of them can't. Du Ruisseau for example can barely handle 10 cars!

I hate it when the AMT thinks that the best solution is adding cars!

The best solution to overcrowded trains is adding more trains!

They should have those 7 sets running, that way the schedule can be more flexible!

They really need to step back and take a look at all options here.

They can't add any more trains than what's currently running. The double track on the line only extends to Bois-Franc. There are passing sidings at Roxboro, Des Prairies (Ste-Dorothee) and Deux-Montagnes. Elsewhere it's SINGLE TRACK OPERATION! That's the major issue with the DM line is the single-track----ness.....

How about the return of the Roxboro departures using shorter trains!?!

If they have 8 cars leftover, why don't go and make a train out it?

It is possible. But they'll have to use the 8 that are held as equipment spares.

Like in the bus system, there's always a certain amount of cars that can't be used due to maintenance.

Letting good equipment sit and do nothing is the epitome of a badly run organization.

The STM is a badly run organization

I am starting to get the feeling that the AMT is jealous of Mumbai and wants to make themselves look good by crowding their trains. <_<

Do you have 120+ Million dollars (estimated) needed to simultaneously:

- Add new equipment?

- Add new double track to Bois-de-Liesse or Roxboro?

- Add a grade separation at Jonction de l'est?

- Add new stations and parking lots?

Alex

Well, monsieur l'expert....

I finally got a chance to sit down and figure out the new Deux-Montagnes schedule (sitting in a hotel room for 4 hours will do that).

I've noted three interesting things - one is that they are (finally!) only using two trainsets for the off-peak weekday schedules, the second is that there seem to be quite a few more deadheads in the morning, and the third is that the schedules have been sped up by a good 2 to 3 minutes per run.

Did AMT get on CN's case to upgrade the tracks?

Dan

Well, monsieur l'expert....

I finally got a chance to sit down and figure out the new Deux-Montagnes schedule (sitting in a hotel room for 4 hours will do that).

I've noted three interesting things - one is that they are (finally!) only using two trainsets for the off-peak weekday schedules, the second is that there seem to be quite a few more deadheads in the morning, and the third is that the schedules have been sped up by a good 2 to 3 minutes per run.

Did AMT get on CN's case to upgrade the tracks?

Dan

There was quite a bit of padding in the off peak schedule. Note that the peak trains are still 40 minutes.

Here's the PDF file you've all been waiting for!

My in-depth analysis of the Deux-Montagnes line operations effective January 12, 2009

Deadhead trains are noted by the lack of horizontal lines and the train number preceded by "dh". As for train 954, I'm not sure of it's actual times but the two listed seem to be the only two options available. Times aren't written in stone but are generally accepted. Note that for the colour codes that don't operate off peak, don't necessarily represent the same train in AM/PM rush.

And to the guy who wrote Deux_Montagnes_New.pdf

Edit - regarding deadheads. There used to be 4 in the morning (1 to Deux-Montagnes, 2 to Roxboro and 1 to Bois-Franc), now there are still 4 (3 to Deux-Montagnes and 1 to Roxboro).

Edit2: For the record, here's the April 10, 2000 - January 11 2009 schedule:

Deux_Montagnes_Old.pdf

Alex

Deux_Montagnes_New.pdf

Deux_Montagnes_Old.pdf

Deux_Montagnes_New.pdf

Deux_Montagnes_Old.pdf

Deux_Montagnes_New.pdf

Deux_Montagnes_Old.pdf

Deux_Montagnes_New.pdf

Deux_Montagnes_Old.pdf

There was quite a bit of padding in the off peak schedule. Note that the peak trains are still 40 minutes.

I can understand the padding - more people taking the train during the peak. They've been doing the same thing in Toronto for years.

Here's the PDF file you've all been waiting for!

My in-depth analysis of the Deux-Montagnes line operations effective January 12, 2009

Deadhead trains are noted by the lack of horizontal lines and the train number preceded by "dh". As for train 954, I'm not sure of it's actual times but the two listed seem to be the only two options available. Times aren't written in stone but are generally accepted. Note that for the colour codes that don't operate off peak, don't necessarily represent the same train in AM/PM rush.

Quick question Alex - is this based on observations or on actual AMT paperwork? Because I too have worked out a schedule, but it's a fair amount different than yours.

And to the guy who wrote Deux_Montagnes_New.pdf

Edit - regarding deadheads. There used to be 4 in the morning (1 to Deux-Montagnes, 2 to Roxboro and 1 to Bois-Franc), now there are still 4 (3 to Deux-Montagnes and 1 to Roxboro).

Edit2: For the record, here's the April 10, 2000 - January 11 2009 schedule:

Deux_Montagnes_Old.pdf

Alex

Yes, I noticed that after you posted it. I guess the deadheads to D-M are more obvious to me than the shorter ones.

And for the record, I still say that they should be running a long express/short local setup.

Dan

And for the record, I still say that they should be running a long express/short local setup.

Dan

That's a brilliant idea! Chances are most people getting on at DM and Laval are heading downtown, especially during Rush Hour.

I would say have every second train become an express to downtown, with shorter train length of course, and use the extra cars to have more short turns from the west-island.

No matter which way you look at, anything is better than the current schedule, even the old one!

I can understand the padding - more people taking the train during the peak. They've been doing the same thing in Toronto for years.

Quick question Alex - is this based on observations or on actual AMT paperwork? Because I too have worked out a schedule, but it's a fair amount different than yours.

Yes, I noticed that after you posted it. I guess the deadheads to D-M are more obvious to me than the shorter ones.

Dan

Can you send me your observations?

This is based on my knowledge of how they use equipment and some personal obervations of of consists in AM rush.

The old one is based on an actual ETT!

Alex

That's a brilliant idea! Chances are most people getting on at DM and Laval are heading downtown, especially during Rush Hour.

I would say have every second train become an express to downtown, with shorter train length of course, and use the extra cars to have more short turns from the west-island.

No matter which way you look at, anything is better than the current schedule, even the old one!

It would be a brilliant idea if the whole line was double track.

They also don't have enough rolling stock to allow for this.

Plus with the quick startup / slow down of the MR-90s the most time they'll save is maybe 5-6 minutes.

Alex

Can you send me your observations?

This is based on my knowledge of how they use equipment and some personal obervations of of consists in AM rush.

The old one is based on an actual ETT!

Send me a PM with your email (since I can't seem to find it) and I'll send it your way.

It would be a brilliant idea if the whole line was double track.

I don't think that it's necessary for the whole line to be double-tracked, but it would certainly go a long way towards helping things.

They also don't have enough rolling stock to allow for this.

I don't think that's necessarily the case. If you run shorter trains, you can get away (at least in the morning) with one spare trainset - which means (for instance) 9 6-car trains (and 1 4-car spare) or 7 8-car trains (and 1 2-car set of spares - you better trust your equipment though), instead of 5 10-car trains (with 1 8-car spare). Of course, this also increases your maintenance requirements a great deal, as fewer trains are out of service at any given time.

Plus with the quick startup / slow down of the MR-90s the most time they'll save is maybe 5-6 minutes.

Alex

Yes they accelerate and decelerate very well, but I think the savings would be a bit better than 5-6 minutes from Bois-Franc.

Let me see if I can chart something for you to consider.

Dan

I know this is off topic but after that fire at the former AMF/CN Charles shop fire , I know AMP was leasing some space in the shops for work on AMT equipment I heard that 2 F59's and some of the least NJT equipment was at the shops during the fire was any of these damaged?

I don't think any AMT-owned equipment was there. From the pictures I saw it was just NJT stuff....

In other news, am I the only one seeing "Serv-U File Server" instead of the AMT's website today?

Did someone finally hack them :)

Alex

I don't think any AMT-owned equipment was there. From the pictures I saw it was just NJT stuff....

In other news, am I the only one seeing "Serv-U File Server" instead of the AMT's website today?

Alex

Won't load for me, 'The server at www.amt.qc.ca is taking too long to respond'.

Alex

ok cause from Feb Trains Mag is was saying that 2 F59's were at the shop but was any of the rail equipment damaged?