What are you eating right now?

Kenster102.5

I’m having a late night bowl of barbecue chicken soup.

C645E296-73FB-46CA-9AA2-988CD8AD73DC.thumb.jpeg.8a1ed7768595e23acaa351bb3ae6575c.jpeg

91EBBC42-BA7D-43BB-9D24-954139F1D74F.thumb.jpeg.41eef4a6946b32e4076bbe739c7e334f.jpeg

So I took the carcass of the chicken I barbecued last night and boiled it down and added some vegetables I had on hand.  This time it was some carrots and celery.

Then, so I still have leftovers from that chicken for another meal or two, I took two boneless, skinless, flavourless chicken breasts and did something about the flavourless part.   Cut them in half and added lots of the same rub I used last night on the chicken since it’s on the carcass as well and gave them a fast sear on the barbecue to get the same grilled flavour and a touch of char but without cooking them through.  The chopped them up and let them finish cooking in the simmering soup.

• Like 1

I think I'll join you @captaintrolley, you seem really lonely here.... I think we need a dedicated "What is captaintrolley eating today?" thread :P

Anyways, I was eating something that you can call questionable...

My parents made their own version of a poutine, but there's a catch to it. They baked the fries (leaving them soft), added in cheese shreads (not curds), and put no gravy on the top. Surprisingly, it turned out decent but I really don't like soft fries. 

They really don't seem to be crazy about actually frying french fries any time we have them. 

Random question for everyone while I'm at it: baked or deep fried french fries? I don't usually like them baked because they turn out soft every time which I strongly dislike. I much prefer them fried because they have a crispy exterior.

30 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

you seem really lonely here..

I am. Since Edmonton no longer has trolleys, it seems my main participation here on the board is in the General Lounge. So Food, FY, FML, LOL, WTF moments, Gas Prices and Random Thoughts are my people now.

32 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Random question for everyone while I'm at it: baked or deep fried french fries?

I prefer baked if they turn out crispy (I have experienced crispy baked fries - must be a trick to making them crisp). Deep fried is fine as long as they aren't overly greasy.

Somehow, some days an enamelled cast iron pan and a hot oven are just the thing and Boxing Day just felt like it for some reason.

I decided to make a baked ham macaroni and cheese and that’s what I’m having now.

15E00D1D-7F97-43EC-AF3E-CBD5ED3256A7.thumb.jpeg.ed63f4662339de4afb36d25741653a4a.jpeg

883A6166-CD03-41FD-B6A7-CA3EE9E2634F.thumb.jpeg.e89543c8b8f13613c3302834a874e521.jpeg

The best part is the leftovers will be lunches at work for a good chunk of the next seven shifts (out of 8 in a row starting yesterday, so much for the five day work week...) which will make my life a lot easier.

• Like 1

Started off the New Year at Northern Chicken. They are having a special, $1.00 per piece of 'Edmonton's Best Fried Chicken' (limit 3 per customer dine-in-only). Normally their individual chicken pieces sell for $5.00 each. So I had three pieces, along with some deviled egg potato salad and in-house-made Lemonade.

Later on...

Still full from the chicken, I didn't feel like having a big salad and dish of fruit for supper, so I opted for a green smoothie instead.

IMG_4880.JPG