rapidtransit

Manually Calling Stops

Wow! The Region of Waterloo can't afford it (because they want to spend the money on a Light Rail that will never fly in this area) yet North Bay is going with the "automated" call out! Last time I checked I thought the population base in the "Region"s CMA was larger than North Bay?

It just keeps getting better - Today's news:

Bus yard to get $45M makeover

TheRecord.com - Local - Bus yard to get $45M makeover

Jeff Outhit

RECORD STAFF

KITCHENER

Grand River Transit has launched a $45-million plan to expand bus storage and maintenance in Kitchener.

Today, 162 buses are stored and repaired in a cramped building on Strasburg Road near Ottawa Street South.

"It has really put a strain on our maintenance effectiveness," transit director Eric Gillespie said. The transit service proposes to:

Build a standalone maintenance garage next door. Repair bays would expand to 29 from 19 today.

Expand the existing building to store up to 250 buses.

Regional council has approved $11 million to plan the expansion this year. This includes buying adjacent public land that's currently used for Kitchener public works.

Construction costs estimated at $34 million are not approved but may be considered in 2010. Construction would take two years.

"This is important, keeping the buses ready for use, making sure they're well-maintained," Regional Chair Ken Seiling said.

To squeeze a new building into the site, Chandler Drive is to be shifted 50 metres north, toward Highway 7/8. There are no homes on this section of road. The public works yard now there is moving to Goodrich Drive.

A public meeting tomorrow will seek neighbourhood input. It takes place from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Zehrs community room at 750 Ottawa St. S.

Gillespie said the additional space will be needed for indoor bus storage and for repairs if transit expands as planned through 2018.

Outdoor storage has been tried in places but doesn't always work, he said.

Buses have to be cleaned off and diesel engines don't always start quickly enough in the cold.

Gillespie said most bus traffic will stay on Strasburg Road, away from homes, if expansion proceeds.

jouthit@therecord.com

At Milton transit one time I was on 2 Downtown (this was in the summer before the route change) my favorite bus driver :D was calling out the stops and another time I was on the same route the stop pull was broken and it looked like the bus driver was doing sign language but I really didn't see that well or hear because I was in the back

Well, I often wondered how long it would be before one of my passengers made a remark about the call out system only benefiting the visually impaired and not the hearing impaired. Well that day finally came yesterday when a hearing impaired rider approached me and showed me a piece of paper and it read : "You call out stops for the blind, why aren't the hearing impaired served also?"

It took me a minute to really grasp the concept the yes, the OHRC has catered to the visually impaired, but forgot all about the hearing impaired. Our call out in North Bay is pretty straight forward, it's a microphone hooked to a P.A. System in the bus. No visual, just audio. I politely directed him to the office to see what could be done about but don't be surprised in the short term to see push on creating an aid to help the hearing impaired also across the province.

Well, I often wondered how long it would be before one of my passengers made a remark about the call out system only benefiting the visually impaired and not the hearing impaired. Well that day finally came yesterday when a hearing impaired rider approached me and showed me a piece of paper and it read : "You call out stops for the blind, why aren't the hearing impaired served also?"

It took me a minute to really grasp the concept the yes, the OHRC has catered to the visually impaired, but forgot all about the hearing impaired. Our call out in North Bay is pretty straight forward, it's a microphone hooked to a P.A. System in the bus. No visual, just audio. I politely directed him to the office to see what could be done about but don't be surprised in the short term to see push on creating an aid to help the hearing impaired also across the province.

The problem is that your system doesn't equip the auto announcer, I've told the system is happy for now drivers calling out stops. But, hoping it will change!

The decision was made because blind people can't see where they are when they're on a moving bus, and have to be told when their stop is. Deaf people can still see where they're going, so they can find their stop. They only miss out on the called stops, which didn't exist in many places before the decision, which is why they were excluded.

Most cities have an AVA system with a screen so if the HRC does issue another statement, it will only affect the few systems left that have yet to install an AVA system with a screen.

I completely agree with the Deaf person, I really do, as I'm technicially deaf/blind in my right side, the automated system in most cities has BOTH audible & Visual callouts..

my fave is MiWay, their's has a clock too!

Deaf People feel stigmatized about a lot of stuff, but I'd have written on the paper, Gee you have eyes dont you? LOOK where your going! (being sarcastic)

We really do need clocks on buses. And perhaps an indicator to show if the bus is running late, early, or on time.

We really do need clocks on buses. And perhaps an indicator to show if the bus is running late, early, or on time.
OC Transpo's new AA system also has a clock, but we don't seem to have much of an issue since people here are just glad to see that the bus actually showed up, to complain about it being early, or late. As in Ottawa, we do have a big problems with buses not showing up. But it's not as bad as it was 2 years ago. But it was because of that 2 years ago that now we are just glad to have a bus that shows.

So it seems the way to get people to stop complaining about buses being late, is by not having show up at all :lol: It worked in Ottawa.

There are a couple buses here that are scheduled to show up at certain times but never do. I call them Phantom Buses. There are also buses that will go by at times that aren't listed on any schedule. I call those Surprise Buses.

OC Transpo's new AA system also has a clock, but we don't seem to have much of an issue since people here are just glad to see that the bus actually showed up, to complain about it being early, or late. As in Ottawa, we do have a big problems with buses not showing up. But it's not as bad as it was 2 years ago. But it was because of that 2 years ago that now we are just glad to have a bus that shows.

So it seems the way to get people to stop complaining about buses being late, is by not having show up at all :P It worked in Ottawa.

I follow the OCTranspo twitter feed, there are tons of cancellations every day! ridiculous!

I follow the OCTranspo twitter feed, there are tons of cancellations every day! ridiculous!

OC Transpo does not have a Twitter page. The ones people are seeing are unofficial like the very obviously unofficial Facebook page.

BIG bump;

I had been seeing discussion within the Niagara Falls Transit thread regarding automated stop announcements not being installed or used in many Ontario agencies.So I felt I would have the discussion continue within this thread considering that this was made for such a discussion, rather then bogging down an individual thread.

For Burlington Transit, what I can say is that in the 2013 budget, there seems to be money that will be spent for a system that will not only include automated announcements, Global Position System, Automated Vehicle Locator and Automatic Passenger Counters. The hope is from transit's point of view is to get the go ahead with funding from the budget and to tag along with Oakville Transit for the same kind of equipment. If that is successful, these systems would be installed on 15 Burlington buses by mid-2013.

However, if council insists to go it alone with a tendering process and to look at different equipment, it will be in 2014 instead.

Related to a clause in a contract (or the specifics on when each agency has to have the automated announcement systems in place), is it supposed to be in 2014 or sooner?

Edited by newflyerinvero

only about 9 TA's have it installed within Ontario, I know of these systems that have it...

TTC

HSR

MIWAY

Brampton Transit

YRT

OC TRANSPO (( last I heard they were testing it, but this is from about 7 months ago, since I was there, to speak with anyone about it))

London Transit (( TESTING, as of June 7th/12)) I have blind friends there.

I dont really keep in touch with my advocacy contacts in Ontario much anymore since I quit the AODA committees in june..

http://www.e-laws.go...1191_e.htm#BK58

Announcements should've been started verbally in 2011 by all - the electronic announcement system is mandatory for 2017 as outlined in subsection 2.

I had to go through this for work so I know where to find it.

In many cases the various ATU drivers unions have brought Health & Safety Challenges against the manual calling of stops..

only about 9 TA's have it installed within Ontario, I know of these systems that have it...

London Transit (( TESTING, as of June 7th/12)) I have blind friends there.

London had their AA system for the last 3-4 years now!

Windsor has buses that sometimes show up :/ I really don't think they will be deploying such a system any time soon, 1 in 4 of our buses are older than 20.

Reviving an older topic:

A member of North Bay's city accessibility committee says the city will be installing an ASA system in the next two years. It will also be fully low floor very soon, I believe the only remaining HF is mostly used on college/uni runs.

Reviving an older topic:

A member of North Bay's city accessibility committee says the city will be installing an ASA system in the next two years. It will also be fully low floor very soon, I believe the only remaining HF is mostly used on college/uni runs.

Back in 2011 when there was a charter in North Bay they said back then its low floor on on the routes but the one that serves the college/university.

Back in 2011 when there was a charter in North Bay they said back then its low floor on on the routes but the one that serves the college/university.

Yes, as the number of HF buses has dwindled from 3 to 1 they have been relegated to the Campus Special in most circumstances since there are enough LF buses for normal daily operation.

Yes, as the number of HF buses has dwindled from 3 to 1 they have been relegated to the Campus Special in most circumstances since there are enough LF buses for normal daily operation.

I have a friend that used to live in T.B, he has a sweet picture of 2 of the 3, sitting in service, one behind the other, signed up for the Campus runs..

He used to go there for school too, he made me a audio clip of one, doing the route, a few months ago, I dont know how to upload it here though..