Manually Calling Stops

rapidtransit

Just wondering JCL...are you not under federal regulations? Why manually as you're not obligated until 2025?

Yes, Ottawa is under federal regulation.

A visually impaired customer by the name of Terrence Green (who is also a lawyer) filed a complaint to the Canadian Transportation Agency (http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-decisions/decisions/2007/MV/AT/200-AT-MV-2007_e.html). In 2007, the CTA made a ruling that forced all OC Transpo operators to call out stop, as listed in the Route Description. Shortly after the ruling, OC Transpo provided training to all operators on calling out stops (the training program was called "Next Stop Announcements"). Operators have since been required to call out stops.

In June 2008, the City issued an RFQ on automated system that would call out stop (http://www.merx.com/English/Supplier_Menu.Asp?WCE=Show&TAB=1&PORTAL=MERX&State=7&id=152587&FED_ONLY=0&hcode=cK00ERWgg6aWurgGudeV%2bw%3d%3d). I don't know what the present status is.

Based on my observations, Transitway stops, major intersections, and points of interests do get called out. However on suburban local routes, compliance is much lower.

I know of a couple of ETS drivers doing it. One of them is on the Route 5 and I find him annoying. He just calls out a name of some building that happens to be at the stop. I don't find that helpful if it has no relevance to a street and avenue. For example, if he must call out, he should call "127 Street" not "Camsell". (Just my opinion of course).

As for OC Transpo, they sometimes don't call out the stops at all, even after the date that they were supposed to. I see this happen EVERYDAY during AM rush but I guess its not as big of a deal since everybody pretty much gets off at Hurdman.

When I first started taking transit they didn't have this calling out stops thing and I was in a crushloaded D60LF on the Transitway. The windows had all fogged up and I could not see outside at all and me being the anti social person wouldn't ask anybody where we were. Thankfully I knew where we were by the curves and straights in the road and was able to get off.

As for OC Transpo, they sometimes don't call out the stops at all, even after the date that they were supposed to. I see this happen EVERYDAY during AM rush but I guess its not as big of a deal since everybody pretty much gets off at Hurdman.

When I first started taking transit they didn't have this calling out stops thing and I was in a crushloaded D60LF on the Transitway. The windows had all fogged up and I could not see outside at all and me being the anti social person wouldn't ask anybody where we were. Thankfully I knew where we were by the curves and straights in the road and was able to get off.

If you read a few posts above you, OC Transpo was already mentioned.

Mississauga, but not all drivers do.

Woodstock as well.

VERY FEW 1C or 1 drivers do it, I have never heard it done on other routes except the 5 dixie, the few times I've been on it lately...

201 Dundas Express, forget it, they NEVER call the stops...

VERY FEW 1C or 1 drivers do it, I have never heard it done on other routes except the 5 dixie, the few times I've been on it lately...

201 Dundas Express, forget it, they NEVER call the stops...

It all depends on the drivers, not the routes. Also you could be getting the same drivers (that don't call out stops) over and over. You have to ride the system everyday to really see how many drivers call out stops and how many don't.

It all depends on the drivers, not the routes. Also you could be getting the same drivers (that don't call out stops) over and over. You have to ride the system everyday to really see how many drivers call out stops and how many don't.

Are there any supervisors/inspectors monitoring compliance?

Are there any supervisors/inspectors monitoring compliance?

There's supposed to be.

After all they have ads inside every bus telling passengers that stops are supposed to be announced by the drivers.

Also, fairly recently I've noticed that some Brampton Transit driver's have begun calling out major stops, didin't hear anything about it on their website though.

hmmmm, good point, I've been on them fairly frequently, but not everyday anymore......miss that a lot, there are a few Gems out there, they just make my day and make me smile with gratitude..

I do know of a few drivers out there on the 1/1C that are awesome, they have gotten to recognize me and know that I usually get off at Dixie going into Miss, and coming home, I get off at Royal Avon, sometimes if I get the one lady or the one guy that are my regular drivers, they let me off at the front entrance of my building...I've called in a couple of commendations for that little stunt...

Select HSR drivers do it but it's certainly a rare occurrence.

that is one of the reasons for me moving to Toronto..... The older HSR Drivers are Great they get used to the blind customers and get to know us, but the newer drivers (less than 3 years), just dont care anymore...its really sad, there are a few people in HSR that DO actually care and show it, but most dont, most have been so downtrodden by management's treatment of them, that they just want to get there job done and leave...

I get the one lady or the one guy that are my regular drivers, they let me off at the front entrance of my building...I've called in a couple of commendations for that little stunt...

Just be careful when calling in about things like that. Some transit agencies/contractors are very strict with not allowing passengers off away from bus stops (aside from the "request stop" program at night on most systems). I know you mean well buschic, but just a heads up!

Concerning Mississauga, why is it so hard to call out stops?

I noticed that many stops now have a large sign with the next stop listed.

Is it really that hard to speak into the mike, and call out a stop?

- What if the driver has a sore throat or an existing disorder that doesn't allow them to speak clearly?

- What if the driver speaks English as a second language or has a thick accent and people cannnot understand them?

- What if the signs get vandalized, knocked down or covered in snow?

- What if the PA system fails on route? Is it worth changing off buses for a faulty PA? Will the driver then need to yell out the stops and risk injury to themselves?

- What if inconsiderate passengers start verbally harassing the driver for the announcments being annoying, or claiming (due to their own inattention) that the driver didn't call out their stop when they actually did?

- What if a situation come up where the driver must communicate on the radio to a supervisor or dispatch or another driver for connections, what takes precident, the radio conversation or the stop annoucnements? Heaven forbid the driver misses calling one of the stops.

Shall I go on??