Nova LFS Articulated in New York City

JCL

The oldest D60HFs are from 1996, so those would be probably the first to go. The newest are from 2004 and aren't going anywhere.
Actually 2003, 2004 order was cancelled.

2009 NovaBUS LFS Articulated #0054 on the Bx12 @ Botanical Gardens

dscn3329.jpg

2009 NovaBUS LFS Articulated #0054 on the Bx12 @ Botanical Gardens II

dscn3330.jpg

2009 NovaBUS LFS Articulated #0054 on the Bx12 @ Fordham Plaza

dscn3360.jpg

The bus is in Gun Hill Depot as you can see.

• 2 months later...
Nice pics... I can't believe how many busfans from various cities have rode and/or photographed this bus on home turf!

Is this 40881? If so, I also got the pleasure of seeing it on the side of the 50 steaming :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure that the bus is a demo before. Numerous times, demo buses have been sent here only to never leave, most recently a D60HF (#1001).
I heard this bus is a 2007 model and was demo'd much more than once.. Also caught 1001 on the M101.

dscn4339f.jpg

#1001 should eventually become a part of the museum fleet -- it's the first articulated bus whose type NYCT ordered in large numbers. Either #1001 or #1000.

Having read this thread and seen the pictures of the LFS articulated, I've been wanting to say this for a long time -- can't Nova make the back end of the bus look a bit better? The front of the bus looks great, but the new rear with the traditionally-mounted engine is too angular -- especially the vents above the rear window -- and doesn't match the rest of the bus at all.

#1001 should eventually become a part of the museum fleet -- it's the first articulated bus whose type NYCT ordered in large numbers. Either #1001 or #1000.

Having read this thread and seen the pictures of the LFS articulated, I've been wanting to say this for a long time -- can't Nova make the back end of the bus look a bit better? The front of the bus looks great, but the new rear with the traditionally-mounted engine is too angular -- especially the vents above the rear window -- and doesn't match the rest of the bus at all.

nope, engine's radiator goes there now.

• 1 month later...

Found this on BusChat:

Plattsburgh's Nova Bus plant gets big NYC order

By DAN HEATH

Staff Writer

Rendering of MTA LFS Artic

PLATTSBURGH - Nova Bus has received a large order for transit buses from the Metropolitan Transit Authority in New York City.

In a news release, the company announced the MTA has ordered 90 Nova LFS (Low Floor System) articulated buses for its New York City Transit system. The buses will be assembled at Nova Bus’s $25 million assembly plant in The Development Corp.’s Banker Road Industrial Park in the Town of Plattsburgh, with delivery scheduled for the first half of 2010.

The order follows a six-week in-revenue service run of one of the articulated buses on New York City Transit routes in the Bronx and Manhattan.

The company Web site states the articulated bus is 62-feet long, two sections connected by a flexible section that helps it make turns. It has seating for up to 62 people.

The stainless steel bus frames are made in St. Francois-du-Lac, Quebec, and shipped by truck to the Plattsburgh facility. They are covered in fiberglass and thermoplastic skins to help protect against damage from rocks and debris.

Other features include a particulate filter that reduces emissions and a front-door access ramp for mobility-impaired passengers. The wide mid and rear doors feature motion sensors that are triggered after the bus comes to a complete stop.

Assembly work is done at each of 17 work stations in the plant. The buses also undergo systems tests, as well as road and water tests in Plattsburgh.

The company has 172 employees in Plattsburgh. It is already building LFS transit buses for two transit authorities in British Columbia, where they will help transport visitors to the 2010 Winter Olympics.

The MTA's New York City Transit has a fleet of more than 4,500 buses that cover 249 routes in the five boroughs of New York City. It carries an estimated 2.3 million passengers on an average weekday.

Nova Bus is a wholly owned subsidiary of Volvo Bus Corporation, the second-largest motorcoach and transit bus manufacturing company in the world. The company has two plants in Canada and is hosting a grand-opening celebration at its newest plant, in Plattsburgh, at 11 a.m. today.

Interesting it looks like it has the roof moulding option from the LFX.

• Board Admin

From Metro Magazine:

Nova Bus to supply N.Y. MTA fleet

MTA New York City Transit (MTA) purchased 90 Nova LFS articulated vehicles, to be assembled in Nova Bus’ newest plant located in Plattsburgh, N.Y., with delivery slated for the first half of 2010.

The order follows a successful six-week in-revenue service run of a Nova LFS Artic bus on the Bx12 route in the Bronx and the M15 route in Manhattan.

The Nova LFS Artic features a stainless steel structure; a particulate filter that reduces emissions; a time-tested front door access ramp for mobility impaired passengers; a re-designed driver area; and wide mid and rear doors, triggered by motion sensors once the bus has come to a full stop.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2...-MTA-fleet.aspx

• 1 month later...

I'm gald the MTA is ordering NOVABus LFS Artic,hopefully the bus order is clean Diesel and NOT hyrbrid,also the MTA kept the NOVABus LFS Artic #0054 (The Demo bus that was tested),,0054 is part of the TA fleet and will get a paint job and will be renumbered and that one has the ISL/Voith Combo,hopefully the other buses (the one that are getting order) get the ISL/Voith powertrain just like #0054 has. :P

This is indeed great news for Nova! Hopefully, MTA orders 40ft LFS models too when it comes time to replace some of the RTSes.

the MTA demed the NOVABUS 40ft LFS also in 1999: http://www.ttmg.org/pages/nova/nymta-novad.html (NOT mine pictures)

but they MTA never got to order 40ft LFS,maybe that one failed the test or something happn.

Well the third generation of the LFS is improved. Improved so much that a major LFS hater like me actually likes the third gen. So NYC might just get this as it isn't garbage anymore. It took Nova 13 years to get it right, and they finally have.