[UK/Worldwide] FOTOPIC IS NO MORE!

DaveHarries

Hi all,

Have just found that I can not access my Fotopic site. Further to that it has gone round on an enthusiast group here in England that fotopic has gone BUST (ie. to the wall). So, with much regret, I hereby inform you all that my bus photograph site - previously at http://buses.fotopic.net - is no more. I hope to reconstitute something similar on another site and I will post any info on that in due course.

I am gutted, and quite p****d off. :rolleyes:

Dave

Umm.........How certain are we about this? I checked wikipedia half an hour ago, and there's a line stating "As of January 2nd, 2009, Fotopic has announced to cease operation due to ongoing financial difficulties, and users are expected not to obtain refunds for their subscription due to lack of liquidity". Then, I checked just now, and someone deleted that statement.........are there other ways we can varify on this?

*sigh* Better back up the gallery, it would probably take MONTHS for me to reorganize everything, due to the huge amount of photos I have on my computer AND external hard-disk and probably a few CDs here and there!

Dave

It would be nice if the websites would let you know a couple days ahead of time so that you could back things up. Not that you shouldn't back things up elsewhere in the first place. At least keep the original on your computer.

I have a flickr PRO account, so I've used that, but havent uploaded in a seriously long time....

I used to have a fotopic account, but deleted it a few months ago...

I've heard photobucket is pretty good, but when I tried it out, I just didnt like it one bit, so I stopped using that account.....

Right now, I'm concertrating on hunting down software that is easy to use that I can put watermarks on my photos.....

Guys,

In the words of Americans: "I think we have good news!"

This has come my way via. a bus enthusiast messageboard here in the UK of which I am a moderator:

"Update : "Fotopic.net was taken over by a company called Snappy Designs Ltd in May 2008 owned by ANY-Web Group, it is offline today due to a technical fault at Kingston Communications and I've been told by Snappy that it will be back sometime tonight (Friday). No statement has been issued by Fotopic.net. Directors have told me the company is solvent and this isn't related to it at all - I'd suggest you wait for the site to come back then I'm sure an official statement will be forthcoming."

It looks like we are saved and if the site comes back then I will start singing "Yippee I I yippee yippee I" to something like the tune of "She'll be coming round the mountain". :rolleyes:

Phew!!!!

Dave

I have a flickr PRO account, so I've used that, but havent uploaded in a seriously long time....

I used to have a fotopic account, but deleted it a few months ago...

I've heard photobucket is pretty good, but when I tried it out, I just didnt like it one bit, so I stopped using that account.....

Right now, I'm concertrating on hunting down software that is easy to use that I can put watermarks on my photos.....

Picture Shark works like a charm. Ask me about it on Messenger and I can tell you what settings to use.

I first started in Photobucket, but got totally fed up with their format, uploading procedure and the fact it's overrun with invasive ads (you know, the ones that expand to the entire screen and ones you can't get rid of).

Talking to other board members I got directed to Majhost which has been excellent for my photo and sign collection.

Ok after some major digging on the net i found a place where you can store unlimited pictures...

Storage overview

Snapfish offers free, unlimited storage of your online photos. There is no limit to the number of digital photos you can upload. You can have an unlimited number of albums and photos in your account.

The link -----> http://www.snapfish.ca

and there's always picasa...

The link -----> http://picasaweb.google.com

Wow it's really gone and there was no news or prior warning about it either which actually shocks me. I had my transit gallery hosted there with my pics all organized....oh well I guess. Thankfully I now use a site maintained by board member Mystic @ www.transitfan.com If it weren't for that I would of been totally screwed!!!! I now feel for everyone else that currently uses Fotopic, hopefully they bring back the site.

Before I go off on this rant about other sites, I am a Flickr Pro user.

Flickr has been fantastic, very responsive when questioned, and I've just renewed my membership with them. I've been with Flickr for a year and a half, and been a paying customer for just over a year. I don't mean to sound like a marketeer here, but it's a fantastic value at only $25 a year for unlimited quota.

My photo-hosting history starts back in the day with Webshots. I didn't have a lot of photos back then, and that was before I really got into my professional photography. It worked great for about a year, until the Mid-Life Crisis, which totally destroyed the website. It was difficult to download photos and view them in full resolution, and it is hard to navigate. I quit my membership with them about 2.5 years ago.

I then went to Fotopic, who were OK... for about 6 months. I was not impressed about the resolution that my photos were coming out in, so I began to do a little peaking around for other hosting alternatives. Then I discovered their quota cap, and couldn't upload anymore, so I turned to Flickr who I had been prowling for quite some time. I was a free member, then I went pro, etc, etc.

I'm also a Photobucket user, however I only use that account for coding. I would never, ever consider that for public hosting - it's incredibly frustrating to organize and manage, and I detest the look of it. I also don't like the high number of advertisments, something I don't have a problem with on Flickr.

Though I've never used this "Majhost," I'm very disappointed with it's look and design. It looks as if a grade 6 had been fooling around with HTML coding for twenty minutes and that was the result - I would never go there, no matter the customer service or speed. The design is dreadful and difficult to navigate to find what you're looking for.

Though I've never used this "Majhost," I'm very disappointed with it's look and design. It looks as if a grade 6 had been fooling around with HTML coding for twenty minutes and that was the result - I would never go there, no matter the customer service or speed. The design is dreadful and difficult to navigate to find what you're looking for.

Isn't there a saying "You get what you pay for"? Well this is a prime example.

You pay nothing to get absolutely nothing in terms of style. I was playing around with an account on there yesterday and found uploading to be extremely difficult.

Personally I did not like Fotopic all that much. Maybe I'm a total dumbdumb or others agree with me, but I found adding pictures to collections/making new collections sort of difficult. And who can forget the times Fotopic sites didn't even work at all... :P

Photobucket and flickr are free too, but they are always up and easy to use!