2009 Edmonton and Area Spotting

M. Parsons

• Board Admin

Yeah it was like that since it happened pretty much. Seems like nothing on the LRT is getting repaired now - the announcements at University still aren't working (that's been months, but I guess it makes sense to wait until the extension opens), and the announcement on the SB track at Clareview doesn't work either.

Yeah it was like that since it happened pretty much. Seems like nothing on the LRT is getting repaired now - the announcements at University still aren't working (that's been months, but I guess it makes sense to wait until the extension opens), and the announcement on the SB track at Clareview doesn't work either.

No kidding. Can't ETS get EPCOR to go out and do whatever is need to either:

- return 95 St to previous speed

- modify 95 St to allow a higher speed

Yet, we can pimp out a hybrid bus that doesn't see service... Is that all a New Flyer hybrid is good for? Sitting in the garage?

• Board Admin

Anyone hear of any trouble on the LRT? Apparently it took someone 30 minutes to go two stations today.

EDIT: More details: "for some reason every train that reached grandin decided it didn't want to go to university and returned to claireview. I had to wait for 3 trains till one of them finally went across the river"

"re LRT: they are doing some repairs at the university crossover and are running a shuttle train on one track from grandin to health sciences"

LRT service disrupted between Grandin and Health Sciences

edmontonjournal.com January 13, 2009 11:02 AM Be the first to post a comment

EDMONTON – LRT service between the Grandin and Health Sciences LRT stations is being disrupted today until 2:30 p.m. for track maintenance.

ETS is operating a shuttle train service on a 15-minute schedule between the two stations for LRT passengers. Uniformed ETS staff will be on the Grandin station platform to help customers as needed.

Regular LRT service remains in effect between Grandin and Clareview stations.

© Copyright © The Edmonton Journal

• Board Admin

LRT was fine when I rode it at around 1730. People at Clareview must have been somewhat ticked - there was a 4 car train on the north track out of service, and my train that pulled in went out of service, so who knows how long some people were waiting. :D

• Board Admin

Still slow at 95 Street, we went full speed (straight through SB) University crossover.

We got stopped in the middle of Churchill and Central, and that threw off the trouncer. I still don't get the logic of who programmed that - if it has GPS readings, it should use them not just for triggering!

I caught a train from University NB last night. We certainly didn't do 45 km/h through the crossover, but it was faster than it's been.

The trouncer got confused and told everybody at University that the next stop was Health Sciences. It's a good thing the directional indicators work, or people might have been confused :blink:.

Forgot to post this earlier. At 0730 this morning WW had ZERO buses available for c/o.

This is becoming a regular occurrence. You have to wonder about the quality of the LFB's. They just suck. That's all there is to it...and it hasn't even been cold for the last few days. I was at Kingsway TC today and one of the 4500's + (by rear light configuration) was blowing out diesel exhaust (like jimmies on Monday morning) from all corners of the back end. I didn't get a number because the exhaust was so thick and blue.

Late. :angry:

This is becoming a regular occurrence. You have to wonder about the quality of the LFB's. They just suck. That's all there is to it...and it hasn't even been cold for the last few days. I was at Kingsway TC today and one of the 4500's + (by rear light configuration) was blowing out diesel exhaust (like jimmies on Monday morning) from all corners of the back end. I didn't get a number because the exhaust was so thick and blue.

Late. :angry:

Maybe that was the DPF doing it's thing? Expelling ultra fine particles(re: easier to penetrate the body) into the air? But! They're clean diesels!

From a January 23, 2007 report on buying 231 New Flyer buses:

· Analysis has shown that the new Flyer buses are 7% more dependable than the old GMC buses. The 218 GMC buses will be replaced with 203 Flyer buses.
GMC buses, because of their mileage and less reliability, are generally used 30% less than the low floor Flyers, which leads to overall poor fleet utilization

So, because a GMC is apparently 7% less reliable than a New Flyer, they are used 30% less? It has nothing to do with a GMC not being low floor I guess.

It's ridiculous that ETS actually said that brand new technology is only 7% more reliable than 1959 technology.

And yet we still buy from New Flyer?

And while I'll be the first person to argue that a New Flyer bus might not be entirely crap as New Flyer themselves doesn't build the majority of mechanical components, it is New Flyer that choses those components (although a transit system certainly has a say with some components), and design the bus to use the components.

From a January 23, 2007 report on buying 231 New Flyer buses:
Analysis has shown that the new Flyer buses are 7% more dependable than the old GMC buses. The 218 GMC buses will be replaced with 203 Flyer buses.

This is used to justify buying 203 Flyers to replace 218 GMs (therefore making 28 buses "growth buses"). But now that we bought 231 new low floors and kept 50 GMs, we still have in excess of a 20% spare ratio and we still have a bus shortage. So what "analysis" was done here?

GMC buses, because of their mileage and less reliability, are generally used 30% less than the low floor Flyers, which leads to overall poor fleet utilization.

So, because a GMC is apparently 7% less reliable than a New Flyer, they are used 30% less? It has nothing to do with a GMC not being low floor I guess.

More to the point, it's the fact that ETS continues to plan and operate a very peak-hour-oriented service that "leads to overall poor fleet utilization." Whoever wrote this report is confusing a whole bunch of issues together.

Maybe we should haul a few more trolleys out of storage, and split the 5 in half. Diesels on route 5 can run Downtown to Coliseum, and the 135 trolleys can handle all the Westmount service (you could even do this rush hour/midday only). That would free up an extra 4 low floors during rush hour. Doesn't seem like much, but when you've got no spare buses in the garage...

Forgot to post this earlier. At 0730 this morning WW had ZERO buses available for c/o.