Shaun

Cascades

61 posts in this topic

Talgo Series VI are now back on trains 510 and 517.

On 3/7/2017 at 9:55 PM, Blue Bus Fan said:

1400 and 1401 will be the first locomotive delivered to WSDOT. I am wondering what WSDOT is going to do with F59PHI once the Seimens Charger's enter service.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:20 AM, TheAverageJoe said:

Sell them most likely. I would assume they would keep a few for spares since the will not have to use Amtrak units for back up. Depends if they ordered enough Chargers.

To be clear, Amtrak owns the F59PHI locomotives, not WSDOT.

It's very likely the F59PHI locomotives will be repainted and put into the national fleet to supplement the P32-8, P40 and P42 locomotives. 

15 hours ago, rickycourtney said:

To be clear, Amtrak owns the F59PHI locomotives, not WSDOT.

It's very likely the F59PHI locomotives will be repainted and put into the national fleet to supplement the P32-8, P40 and P42 locomotives. 

Old balls , I would except Amtrak to off load them. Remember even the Amtrak California units are being replaced with Chargers as well. 

9 minutes ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Remember even the Amtrak California units are being replaced with Chargers as well. 

Will Amtrak California get rid of San Juaquin and the Capital Corridor F59PHI also with the Chargers?

1 minute ago, Blue Bus Fan said:

Will Amtrak California get rid of San Juaquin and the Capital Corridor F59PHI also with the Chargers?

3 are at the Oakland yard going testing before the rest of the order is built They ordered 6 first and took 14 options for 20 total coming. They will replace all of the 15 state owned F59PHI's and two ex Amtrak B32-8WH's

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Old balls , I would except Amtrak to off load them. Remember even the Amtrak California units are being replaced with Chargers as well. 

Also with the Midwest states (Illinois/Michigan/Missouri)ordering 33 Chargers that will free up 33 P42's that would replace the rest of the Amtrak owned ones in California and in Washington state. Washington state has 8 Chargers on order. 

1 hour ago, TheAverageJoe said:

I haven't heard anything specifically indicating what Amtrak will do with the F59PHI locomotives after the Chargers come online. It's worth noting that AMTK 450-464 (painted in the Pacific Surfliner livery) and AMTK 465-470 (painted in the Cascades livery) are actually owned by Amtrak and not the states. 

That's 21 locomotives that are middle-aged (built in 1998).

That's more than the 18 P32-8 locomotives built in 1991 and the 12 rebuilt P40 locomotives built in 1993.

34 minutes ago, rickycourtney said:

I haven't heard anything specifically indicating what Amtrak will do with the F59PHI locomotives after the Chargers come online. It's worth noting that AMTK 450-464 (painted in the Pacific Surfliner livery) and AMTK 465-470 (painted in the Cascades livery) are actually owned by Amtrak and not the states. 

That's 21 locomotives that are middle-aged (built in 1998).

That's more than the 18 P32-8 locomotives built in 1991 and the 12 rebuilt P40 locomotives built in 1993. 

Most of the P32-8WH are used in switching service. A few from time to time are used in road service when units are down. Also IIRC the 15 rebuild P40 Locomotives were rebuild to P42 standards

3 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Most of the P32-8WH are used in switching service. A few from time to time are used in road service when units are down. Also IIRC the 15 rebuild P40 Locomotives were rebuild to P42 standards

A few of the P32-8 still see regular road service on the Coast Starlight. 

My point is... Amtrak might not necessarily get rid of them simply because they're oddball units. 

1 minute ago, rickycourtney said:

A few of the P32-8 still see regular road service on the Coast Starlight. 

My point is... Amtrak might not necessarily get rid of them simply because they're oddball units. 

They most likely will as they will have surplus P42's with over 41 Chargers coming on line in the next year or two.

11 hours ago, rickycourtney said:

They won't get rid of them because they're oddballs. They'll get rid of them because they are getting old and they are getting replacement units.

Well, they are hopefully getting replacement units. We'll have to see how the budget gets massaged.

Dan

1 person likes this