Cascades

Shaun

Amtrak actually has a surplus of power as they have the 1993 vintage P40s stored if not leased out to commuter operations.

Given the holiday season and likely extra traffic, perhaps they just needed a little more power than usual across their entire network.

That's really funny. I took the Cascades from Portland to Seattle on December 31, 2007, there were two locomotives, the one attached to the tail end is a 0 horsepower model cab baggage car. I am wondering if cascades are push and puller type of train.

I guess its easier to use freight power on cascades because they dont need a hep generator?

• 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It says Florida also purchased these charger locomotives.

"All Aboard Florida purchased 10 locomotives with the option to procure an additional 10 further down the line.The locomotives will be used in pairs, bookending 4 passenger cars (expandable to 7) on a new rail system between Miami and Orlando".

Why do they need two 4000HP loco's for a 4 car train?

We use the MP40's to power 12 car trains with no problems.

Someone at Siemens must have done something right to get all of these contracts...

Anyone know if MPI bid on the deal?

• 2 months later...

Amtrak Cascades have becoming to Vancouver for the past 20 years with many improves to the service such as an addition trip to Vancouver. There are many plans that could have between four or six trains coming and going from Vancouver.

http://www.rtands.com/index.php/passenger/intercity/amtrak-cascades-celebrates-20-years-of-international-rail-service.html?channel=

• 2 weeks later...

The Charger order was part of the joint 125mph order Illinois, Michigan and California placed to replace P42s (and in WSDOTs case F59PHIs). EMD bid the F125, MPI did not bid (or at least were not finalists)

I think California is keeping their F59PHI, I think WSDOT should keep F59PHI for all trains have a Cascades livery locomotive. WSDOT will be getting eight Siemens Charger three more than F59PHI.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WSDOT and BNSF, on a joint-venture, constructed a pair of new sidings that back up to about 20 yards from S Holgate street in SODO Seattle, for potential storage and delivery of the Siemens Charger Locomotive later in 2016.

Below are before and after photos:

699f0bf2139e1c5173f70e65e43cd5eb_thumb.pb0e4137752117876adbe51ed0f8a050f_thumb.j
Before: After:
Note the lack of most of the employee parking lot.
The Siemens Charger locomotives are due to arrive around November-December 2016, and into Early 2017.