GOA transit news, info etc

Highlights for new summer service and changes:

Rideau Street Detour – July 6 to August 28

Routes 7, 12, 14, 15, 18, 306 and 316 will be on detour from July 6 until approximately August 28 due to the closure of the intersection at Rideau Street and King Edward for repairs.

Chaudière Detour – Revised June 21

Starting Sunday, June 21, Routes 8, 88 and 105 will once again operate via the Chaudière Bridge and will no longer loop around the War Museum.

St. Laurent Station Renovations – June 21- August 29

The local platform on the upper level at St. Laurent Station will be closed for maintenance and rehabilitation work from June 21 to August 29 inclusive. All buses will be detoured to the lower level of the station. Temporary bus stops will be installed on St. Laurent Blvd. southbound next to the station, and across the street at the corner of the bus roadway.

The elevators will also be replaced and may be unavailable for a period of time, which will be posted on the web site.

During the rehabilitation work, the Sales and Information Centre will remain open, except for the period from July 1 to 26. The Sales Centre will also be open on Saturday, June 27, and Saturday, August 1, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Here the pamphlet

scan0001.jpg

Stabbing again...

Man stabbed in attack at Baseline Transit Station

The Ottawa Citizen | June 15, 2009 7:49 AM

OTTAWA — Ottawa police are investigating another stabbing on the city’s transit system, the second in three days.

The most recent attack occurred at about 1 a.m. Monday morning at Baseline Station, when a 17-year-old youth was stabbed and suffered a punctured lung. Police say his injuries are not life-threatening, however, and he was listed in stable condition Monday morning.

On Friday afternoon, a 29-year-old man suffered a collapsed lung after he was stabbed while riding the No. 12 bus near Blair and Montreal roads. A young woman was arrested shortly after that attack.

The stabbings follow the high-profile trial of Shawn McKenzie, who was convicted in February of first-degree murder in the death of Michael Oatway. In September 2006, McKenzie, then 17, confronted the 23-year-old Oatway aboard a No. 118 bus on Baseline Road and tried to steal his iPod. Oatway was stabbed with a butterfly knife in the struggle.

McKenzie was sentenced as an adult to life in prison with no chance of parole for 15 years.

Anyone with information about Monday’s assault is asked to call West Division police at 613-236-1222 ext. 2212 or Crimestoppers at 613-233-8477 (TIPS).

© Copyright © The Ottawa Citizen

So much for special constables claim to be "reducing crime on transit".

Either way the special constables should be focusing more on reducing crime like this instead of focusing resources on people who are taking photos and people who don't write in their numbers on their bus pass.

Stabbing again...

So much for special constables claim to be "reducing crime on transit".

Either way the special constables should be focusing more on reducing crime like this instead of focusing resources on people who are taking photos and people who don't write in their numbers on their bus pass.

To be fair they cant be everywhere all the time!!!

To be fair they cant be everywhere all the time!!!
Yes but they could be patrolling more frequently at troubled spots like Baseline. I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about if you've been there late at night.

When I was at Baseline at midnight about 2 weeks ago, there was no special constable in sight for about a hour.

But I am pretty sure now they will start patrolling baseline more often, but this all could of been prevented.

St. Laurent Station Renovations – June 21- August 29

The local platform on the upper level at St. Laurent Station will be closed for maintenance and rehabilitation work from June 21 to August 29 inclusive. All buses will be detoured to the lower level of the station. Temporary bus stops will be installed on St. Laurent Blvd. southbound next to the station, and across the street at the corner of the bus roadway.

The elevators will also be replaced and may be unavailable for a period of time, which will be posted on the web site.

In other words, seniors and the handicapped will be forced to get off the bus on St. Laurent Blvd. and cross the parking lot to access the mall. OC's suggestion to "alter your travel plans" doesn't help much either. IMHO, OC would have done better to have delayed the elevator work until after the local platform is reopened. :lol:

In other words, seniors and the handicapped will be forced to get off the bus on St. Laurent Blvd. and cross the parking lot to access the mall. OC's suggestion to "alter your travel plans" doesn't help much either. IMHO, OC would have done better to have delayed the elevator work until after the local platform is reopened. :lol:

I agree. For trhose that say its better of this way spend a year in a wheel chair and we'll see how you feel afterwards.

for oc transpo's orion V 1991 how come we are the only transit agency to have the flat panel rear while other orion V's had there's go out OttawaOrionVAlt.jpg

(not my photo )

from www.busexplorer.com

Photo taken by J.Veerkamp

as opposed to this

SarniaOrionV-2.jpg

From www.busexplorer.com

for oc transpo's orion V 1991 how come we are the only transit agency to have the flat panel rear while other orion V's had there's go out OttawaOrionVAlt.jpg

(not my photo )

from www.busexplorer.com

Photo taken by J.Veerkamp

as opposed to this

SarniaOrionV-2.jpg

From www.busexplorer.com

Your photos didn't come up so here are three of mine from the same era:

OC Transpo 9126:

OC9126b.JPG

Mississauga 8915:

MT8915b.JPG

Centro 5xx (with RTS 9765):

Cent9765b.JPG

Your photos didn't come up so here are three of mine from the same era:

OC Transpo 9126:

OC9126b.JPG

Mississauga 8915:

MT8915b.JPG

Centro 5xx (with RTS 9765):

Cent9765b.JPG

o ok thank you so for the flat rear was that just another one of oc's interesting choices??

STO's first 3rd Gen LFS has arrived. Currently in ghost livery.

I too saw the bus today just as I arrived Les Promenades at around 2:40pm.

Are you sure this Nova LFS is STO's? The front destination sign said Nova LFS, which leads me to believe it is a demo unit being borrowed.

I too saw the bus today just as I arrived Les Promenades at around 2:40pm.

Are you sure this Nova LFS is STO's? The front destination sign said Nova LFS, which leads me to believe it is a demo unit being borrowed.

I don't know 100%, will look into that tomorrow.

I don't know 100%, will look into that tomorrow.

That all-white LFS is a NovaBUS Third Gen factory demonstrator and is not STO's...they have it for testing purposes before they get about 15 (IINM) of them to finish off a few Classics. That is my understanding.

--Dr. C

On a related note, does anyone know if any other transit system ordered Orion V buses with rooftop A/C units, like OC Transpo did in 1992?

OC9244.jpg

OC9254a.JPG

EDIT: I just noticed that 9254 had windows taken from a 1991 Orion V. ^_^

out of all the cities ive been to and also pictures OC transpo is the only ones with the rooftop A/C units

According to a mechanic at St Laurent who I trust, there is a demo supposed to arrive this week but he doesnt know what model

hmm. interesting cant wait to see what it will be thank's for the tip

maybe a D40LFR or D60LFR