GOA transit news, info etc

Am I missing something with the 62? If they were that concerned with lack of service to iber why not have the 62 from granite ridge go Left Harry Douglas Dr, Right Iber, Right Abbott to cardelrec and vice versa. 

I get OC is severely short on buses, funding and ideas but common. A deviation and a roundabout for 650m doesn’t make sense. If you route it down Harry Douglas you serve more area and waste less time. 

also disappointing no return of full 55 or a boost to service that service Carleton U or Algonquin.. but not surprised 

C402EB55-17DC-41E9-B8C5-31E437F22396.jpeg

Edited by ZümmyZüm
I drew a fancy line

10 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

but not surprised

That *huge* $85M transit deficit MUST be tackled... But $88M for Strandherd widening, that's a *small investment* that must not see cuts! (Sarcasm)

On a serious note, yeah, they need to bring back the 55 to Bayshore. The 85 is just crap. All I see on Carling are empty 55s ever since being shortened to Westgate. That's ignoring the fact that I'm now car dependent because of Jimbo, but any who, Hospital staff at the Civic would like their direct trip to Bayshore via 417 back and Queensway Terrace users would like to not walk a kilometer to get a bus to Bayshore...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dexter249 said:

Routes to be cut in 2023:
All 200s

All Local Limiteds.

And probably the 175, maybe even all the school routes too.

In my opinion if this happened I feel like some of the more harder hit areas would be the rural ones which the 200s serve. Granted most people would probably just drive into the city if they needed. Any other area served by the 200s already have closer routes to them.

For the local limiteds it would just be a longer walk to a more reliable bus.

I feel like cutting the school specials would be a bad idea, since alot of students rely on that.

Now my opinion might be in the wrong mindset and I'd be happy to hear what you think of this if it would happen or if it is going to happen. 

All the speculation seems unnecessary, we know OC is in bad shape. We have so many 200s routes running empty and a lot and I mean lot of the locals run empty as well.

We need changes and what might end up happening is a serious revision of routes in the suburbs. Winding routes aren’t working and if we can get people on buses using linear and frequent then why not? A fantastic case study is Brampton Transit. Look at what they were before ZUM and now. They saw a problem and fixed it and it sutcliffe allows the people that know make changes, we could be in for a pleasant surprise 

3 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

Why are the 200s running empty anyway? When it was still the green and red peak routes they always seemed full from what I remember

Shifting travel patterns such as federal public service employees taking the option to work from home if available. 

At one point, the 200 series (Connexion routes) ran hourly before being reduced to every 30 minutes or better. To provide direct connections to the suburbs from the major terminus stations (Hurdman, Tunney's and Blair) without needing to make additional transfers. Rural express routes still operate hourly or better.

• Thanks 1

Has anyone though as why the 200's are empty? Government working from home. Trudeau & Southcliffe should tell the workers  "Guess what you have to come to work to work not work from home) but like before Covide. Then you'll see thev 200's crowed once again.

Cutting services and locals are just going to make those that can car pool or take a car say F*** Y** OC I'll take a car and get there faster.

Also once stag 2 is complete you'll have better access to downtown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Has anyone though as why the 200's are empty? Government working from home. Trudeau & Southcliffe should tell the workers  "Guess what you have to come to work to work not work from home) but like before Covide. Then you'll see thev 200's crowed once again.

One of the most idiotic ideas to come out of this pandemic (other than all the nonsensical conspiracy theories obviously) is this idea that politicians got into their heads that the job of a public servant is to spend a bunch of unnecessary money on things they don't want - like bad transit and overpriced downtown sandwich shops - and not, you know, whatever their actual jobs are. With the LRT getting closer and closer to the suburbs the entire idea of the 200s as an express service also becomes less and less relevant, since you're essentially cutting down on the number of stops that the buses get to skip.

The politicians at City Hall (especially folks like Hubley) talk all day about how they built OC Transpo to cater to public servants, but culturally they still see public transit as some kind of glorified social welfare for poor people that you'd be insane to use once you're able to afford a car, hence this whole reluctance to actually work on making it better instead of focusing on how much profit it doesn't make. I'd at least be in favour of cutting the 200s if they redirect all those cost savings into improving service elsewhere on the network, but let's be real City Council is just going to cut them loose and leave it at that so they can brag about holding to Sutcliffe's 2.5% tax hikes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CanadianBrick1 said:

Why are the 200s running empty anyway? When it was still the green and red peak routes they always seemed full from what I remember

Because of COVID-19, office workers have been working from home and many don't want to return back in-person!

Since September this year, there has been an increase in passengers, but that's mainly because of the students attending university/college in-person. 

3 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

I work for the Federal Government and we have to be in the office at least 3 days each week. My wife is in the office every day, she has to get permission to work from home now.

I know it's mostly department related, that being said, you'd think most Gov. Departments would/have been choosing work at home to this day given its popularity and efficiency (and you know, not spreading diseases and all). Currently in a CRA candidate pool, but the positions I applied for state they're all work at home with very limited in person meetings at their Heron Rd HQ to this day despite "COVID is over". I could not bare driving or busing the whole length of Baseline to get at Heron on a daily basis.

Curious to know, did your department give you a rationale for making you come in for 3 days a week after going online for 2 years? It just seems spiteful to employees because the department has a prime real estate expense or something of that nature they need to make use of.

Either way some level of government is going to have to end the ambiguity whether that be OC Transpo with the city of Ottawa or the federal government allowing some departments to stay home, others have to come in for some time, while others have to come in all the time

On 12/3/2022 at 3:04 AM, Loud-Invero said:

I know it's mostly department related, that being said, you'd think most Gov. Departments would/have been choosing work at home to this day given its popularity and efficiency (and you know, not spreading diseases and all). Currently in a CRA candidate pool, but the positions I applied for state they're all work at home with very limited in person meetings at their Heron Rd HQ to this day despite "COVID is over". I could not bare driving or busing the whole length of Baseline to get at Heron on a daily basis.

Curious to know, did your department give you a rationale for making you come in for 3 days a week after going online for 2 years? It just seems spiteful to employees because the department has a prime real estate expense or something of that nature they need to make use of.

Either way some level of government is going to have to end the ambiguity whether that be OC Transpo with the city of Ottawa or the federal government allowing some departments to stay home, others have to come in for some time, while others have to come in all the time

Some jobs cannot be done from home eg. Having to access secure networks on a regular basis or working with classified documents that cannot be taken out the office.

• Thanks 2

OC Transpo is receiving $63.3 million dollars from the provincial government to help cover most of the $85.5 million dollar operating deficit that is projected.

Under Phase 4 of the Safe-Restart Agreement funded by the federal-provincial governments. To address lost revenue due to COVID-19 along with maintaining regular operations. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-receiving-63-3-million-to-help-cover-oc-transpo-operating-deficit-1.6184448

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 1:13 PM, MCIBUS said:

Well 22.2 Million deficit is way better the a 85.5 million deficit. 

True it would better if there was no deficit,  hopefully the cuts won't be as bad.

Still think the Cuts are going to completely eliminate most of the Local Limited routes, along with the 200s.

Perhaps, but with recent ridership drop(OCT) and announcement of  the elimination of public members on the transit commission it's going to hard for the Mayor and city councilors to say to the public to have trust in OC Transpo not with all the cuts and such?

Well we'll see how effective OC's "Winter Storm Schedule" does this Thursday evening into Friday and possibly Saturday Morning? If the forecast is accurate there calling anywhere from 10 cm to 40 cm depending on what source you getting your info from? 

In any case I suspect tons of canceled trips, packed buses, people unable to get on a bus because it's so packed. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens? 

I fell sorry for you OC drivers on the board and at OC as not only will you haver to deal with awful driving conditions, but 'Pissed Off' customers because of waiting so long for a bus, which isn't your fault as you have no control of the weather or driving conditions or how OC will assign schedules or bus runs.

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Well we'll see how effective OC's "Winter Storm Schedule" does this Thursday evening into Friday and possibly Saturday Morning? If the forecast is accurate there calling anywhere from 10 cm to 40 cm depending on what source you getting your info from? 

In any case I suspect tons of canceled trips, packed buses, people unable to get on a bus because it's so packed. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens? 

I fell sorry for you OC drivers on the board and at OC as not only will you haver to deal with awful driving conditions, but 'Pissed Off' customers because of waiting so long for a bus, which isn't your fault as you have no control of the weather or driving conditions or how OC will assign schedules or bus runs.

Winter Storm Schedule will not go into affect until Winter Schedules go into affect. We are still currently in the Fall Schedule.

9 hours ago, JCL said:

Winter Storm Schedule will not go into affect until Winter Schedules go into affect. We are still currently in the Fall Schedule.

Even if so, I can imagine they'll implement some on the fly service alterations like they normally do with any predicted/planned disruptions. A good start is not operating any 60 footers on any portion of Carling between Bronson all the way to March and tether their runs to more cleared roadways like the transitway or 417/174 (mostly attics on the 61-62, and 39 between Blair and PDO).

Im curious how the electrics will perform. Maybe the instant torque might hurdle their performance.

• Like 1

I don't know how everything will turn out mainly Friday, but it all depends on how much snow and whether it's heavy wet snow or light snow, as well as how much is falling an hour.

If it's going to be like what we had several years ago(about 2 feet) where the snow plows couldn't keep up clearing the roads, then no matter what size of bus you have there going to be issues across the bus fleet network.

If it's light snow and not coming down as fast as the previous storm we had several years ago, then it won't be as bad. Sure you're going to have stuck buses but not as bad if it was coming down heavy & quickly.

19 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Even if so, I can imagine they'll implement some on the fly service alterations like they normally do with any predicted/planned disruptions. A good start is not operating any 60 footers on any portion of Carling between Bronson all the way to March and tether their runs to more cleared roadways like the transitway or 417/174 (mostly attics on the 61-62, and 39 between Blair and PDO).

Im curious how the electrics will perform. Maybe the instant torque might hurdle their performance.

They’re pretty solid In the snow, little more wheel spinning than I’d like but they get the job done. One thing I despise about the electrics and snow is you lose that “feel” and the sound of the engine to help you get out. Lot of times just hearing what the diesel engine is doing will help you get out of a sticky spot 

on another note, I finally drove down the transitway and saw the new Lincoln ramp off Carling.. I predict many many jackknifed buses, that curve makes no sense even in rain you’ll be sliding

• Like 1