GOA transit news, info etc

Both OC Transpo's General Manager and STO's General Manager (as well as the City Manager from the City of Ottawa) appeared before a Parliamentary Committee today to discuss the future of Wellington Street (in the Parliamentary Precinct area), as a result of the Freedom Convoy 2022/Occupation/Trucker's Protest.

Link to Agenda: https://www.ourcommons.ca/DocumentViewer/en/44-1/PROC/meeting-26/notice

Link to Video: https://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Harmony/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2?fk=11732938

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/train-maker-alstom-says-ottawa-knew-lrt-wasnt-ready-but-launched-anyway-inquiry-documents

Looks like the tight curves cause the bearings to wear out faster causing the derailment. 

Maybe if they went with Flexity Freedoms they wouldn't have had this issue since they have shorter car sections making it easier to navigate curves. Did they have to make the curves so tight?

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/train-maker-alstom-says-ottawa-knew-lrt-wasnt-ready-but-launched-anyway-inquiry-documents

Looks like the tight curves cause the bearings to wear out faster causing the derailment. 

Maybe if they went with Flexity Freedoms they wouldn't have had this issue since they have shorter car sections making it easier to navigate curves. Did they have to make the curves so tight?

My understanding is that the the radius of the curve isn't the issue, it's the the profile of the rail head in conjunction with the curves. It causes excessive contact between the rail and the wheel flanges.

There's nothing atypical about the curves on our LRT, and you can find plenty of examples of tight curves like this on other systems (like the TTC's Line 1 near Union, or on the SkyTrain near Main Street-Science World).

A different vehicle wouldn't help much. There were also a number of design constraints that led to the curves that we have. e.g. needing to cross Riverside, the existing VIA tracks, avoiding the Hurdman pumping station, the position of Hurdman Station, the existing Lees bridge, etc.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

The article is based on recent documents (interviews) that were recently posted on the Ottawa Light Rail Transit Public Inquiry web site: https://www.ottawalrtpublicinquiry.ca/documents/evidence/

• 2 weeks later...

Canada Day Operations have been revealed on the City of Ottawa Media Release

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/oc-transpos-no-charge-service-best-travel-option-canada-day

I will emphasize in red on points that are of interest

OC Transpo’s no charge service is the best travel option on Canada Day

June 24, 2022
Announcements and Events

OC Transpo is the best way to travel to Canada Day events across the city, with no-charge service all day on O-Train Line 1, buses and Para Transpo. OC Transpo will have extra service running throughout the day and into the evening. With the main event taking place at LeBreton Flats this year, OC Transpo wants to make sure you know how to get to and from the event site with ease!

OC Transpo’s Travel Planner (link is external)is the best way to plan your trip!

Leave early and arrive on time at LeBreton Flats

• July 1 is a busy day for transit so give yourself plenty of time.
  • Based on the Government of Canada’s plans for events at LeBreton Flats, take O-Train Line 1 or a bus to Lyon Station and walk to the event site entrance via Wellington Street.
  • Customers travelling on Para Transpo to LeBreton Flats on Canada Day will be dropped off at a pre-designated location at LeBreton Flats, Pimisi Station or Place Des Festivals (Gatineau).
  • The Société de transport de l’Outaouais (STO) will be providing service at no charge on July 1, and it is the only option to get to and from Gatineau. For more information on STO service, visit sto.ca.
  • Only customers with accessibility needs should use Pimisi Station to access the LeBreton Flats event site via Booth Street according to the Government of Canada’s plans. Visit canada.ca/canada-day for information about who can use this site entrance.
  • Some detours will be in effect downtown due to road closures. Check octranspo.com for the latest detour information.
  • Use the Travel Planner to plan your trip on Canada Day.

After the LeBreton Flats fireworks

• Customers travelling eastbound can take O-Train Line 1 service at Pimisi Station. Convenient connections are available at Hurdman, St-Laurent and Blair stations to many bus routes.
  • Customers travelling westbound, including those destined to Tunney’s Pasture Station, will be directed to bus service on Routes 57, 61, 62, 63, 74 or 75 on Albert Street at Booth Street.
  • Customers travelling on Para Transpo will be picked up at a pre-designated location at LeBreton Flats, Pimisi Station or Place Des Festivals (Gatineau).
  • To reduce crowding at Pimisi Station, O-Train Line 1 will bypass Pimisi Station when travelling westbound after the fireworks.
  • To manage the large number of customers using transit, queue lines for eastbound rail service will be in place along Booth Street and marked with special signage. There will be a designated queue line for customers with accessibility needs. Westbound bus customers and pedestrians will use the west side of Booth Street to access Albert Street. OC Transpo staff will be available to help direct customers.
  • Customers also have the option to walk to Lyon or Parliament stations and take the train east or west.
  • At Lyon Station and Parliament Station, entrances will be designated by direction of travel on the train. Customers should follow the signage onsite.
  • Detailed information and diagrams about travelling to and from Canada Day events are available at octranspo.com.

EDIT (11:24pm), OC Transpo has posted details onto their web site: https://www.octranspo.com/en/news/article/canada-day-service-2022/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow... They're actually using, *gasp* buses, to run parallel service between Pimisi and Tunney's to cover the shortcomings of this "train"... Someone is getting fired at the planning department or elsewhere for this abhorrent duplication of service, no matter how convenient it is to customers, like myself! 😱

5 hours ago, JCL said:

Canada Day Operations have been revealed on the City of Ottawa Media Release

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/oc-transpos-no-charge-service-best-travel-option-canada-day

Just reading through the ones in red:

Pimisi is a centre platform station, so it is better to have trains bypass westbound so those waiting on the platform are only waiting for one direction. Having buses bridge the gap so that people can avoid a transfer is a better strategy which I assume the buses will be parked nearby along downtown like in previous years. City of Ottawa did post the motor vehicle control zone which OC Transpo buses are exempt since they need to park nearby to ensure a reasonable response time. 

I think this will be the ultimate test regarding how quickly they can clear the crowd with Line 1 service. Which COVID-19 impacted Canada Day events in 2020 and 2021 leading to not as much service required to be provided. No charge still remained of course. 

2019 Canada Day was still operated with buses mostly pushing out a lot of service and crews. 

New Years Eve 2019, two trains went down which one impacted service between Parliament and Hurdman requiring shuttle buses until the stalled train was cleared. 

It will be a learning experience from how Canada Day 2022 goes from what went good and what could be improved. Having to create a strategy to ensure crowds are managed and directed to the appropriate areas to get home after the event. 

3 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Oh wow... They're actually using, *gasp* buses, to run parallel service between Pimisi and Tunney's to cover the shortcomings of this "train"... Someone is getting fired at the planning department or elsewhere for this abhorrent duplication of service, no matter how convenient it is to customers, like myself! 😱

Are you unable to think beyond your love of sensationalism and maybe think of it from a crowd control standpoint?

The duplication in service is occurring after the festivities only. Westbound trains will bypass Pimisi Station to mitigate the effects of huge customer loads at Pimisi Station's island platform and at Tunney's Pasture Station transferring and buses trying to circulate the bus loop. Those passengers will board trips on routes 57, 61, 62, 63, 74, 75 starting at Albert/Booth. Eastbound to Blair will be regular service at Pimisi.

Nothing to do with "shortcomings."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Are you unable to think beyond your love of sensationalism and maybe think of it from a crowd control standpoint?

I'm being hyperbolic. Settle down, please.

7 hours ago, JCL said:

Canada Day Operations have been revealed on the City of Ottawa Media Release.

I should add here that on Canada Day, the 85 will only run between Pimisi and Bayshore. Service to Gatineau will be available with the STO, which too will provide no-charge service all day.

I'm just curious as to how OC will run the trains on July 1?Will they add more trains being run? I'm not sure as to how much spacing(Time)between each train is allowed, that I don't know, but I'm just curious as how OC wil handle the crowds assuming there will ten's of thousands people attending, assuming the protesters don't keep crowds away?

15 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm just curious as to how OC will run the trains on July 1?Will they add more trains being run? I'm not sure as to how much spacing(Time)between each train is allowed, that I don't know, but I'm just curious as how OC wil handle the crowds assuming there will ten's of thousands people attending, assuming the protesters don't keep crowds away?

At the most recent Transit Commission Meeting, I understand that they will be operating 15 double trains (which would achieve a frequency/headway of 3 minute/4 minute/4 minute) . See presentation by the GM of OC Transpo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzMlPwwhH7w and go to 12:24 of the video. 

Speaking of the number trains operating, yesterday PM Rush Hour, it appears that they were operating at 13 double trains (achieving a frequency/headway of 4 minutes).

And as a reminder, 11 double trains achieves a 5 minute frequency. 

On 6/24/2022 at 11:24 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Just reading through the ones in red:

Pimisi is a centre platform station, so it is better to have trains bypass westbound so those waiting on the platform are only waiting for one direction. Having buses bridge the gap so that people can avoid a transfer is a better strategy which I assume the buses will be parked nearby along downtown like in previous years. City of Ottawa did post the motor vehicle control zone which OC Transpo buses are exempt since they need to park nearby to ensure a reasonable response time. 

I think this will be the ultimate test regarding how quickly they can clear the crowd with Line 1 service. Which COVID-19 impacted Canada Day events in 2020 and 2021 leading to not as much service required to be provided. No charge still remained of course. 

2019 Canada Day was still operated with buses mostly pushing out a lot of service and crews. 

New Years Eve 2019, two trains went down which one impacted service between Parliament and Hurdman requiring shuttle buses until the stalled train was cleared. 

It will be a learning experience from how Canada Day 2022 goes from what went good and what could be improved. Having to create a strategy to ensure crowds are managed and directed to the appropriate areas to get home after the event. 

Will they repeat that for Bluesfest, which starts July 7?

31 minutes ago, Mark Walton said:

Will they repeat that for Bluesfest, which starts July 7?

Most likely since Tunney's is the western terminus currently, so it is simply not worth forcing a transfer after two stations. Instead bus service will be extended after the event ends for westbound service and providing direct connections.

Still to be confirmed since the event lasts 10 days. From July 7th to 17th. Having to plan for additional resources such as transit operators and staff to mange crowds.

Tomorrow is Canada Day. For anybody who are interested in spotting double decker buses that are in service, these are the routes that you can find them:

• Line 2 Bus/R2: many trips between 7am and 9pm
  • Route 6: select trips throughout the day
  • Route 10: select trips in the early morning hours only
  • Route 25: select trips throughout the day
  • Route 34: one round trip in the morning
  • Route 35: one select trip in the morning inbound to Blair
  • Route 39: majority of the trips until 11pm
  • Route 40: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 42: one select trip in each direction between 7am and 8am.
  • Route 44: select trips throughout the day
  • Route 46: two select round trips in the morning
  • Route 48: one select trip in the morning
  • Route 55: select trips in the morning
  • Route 57: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 62: one select trip in the morning inbound to Tunney's Pasture
  • Route 75: majority of the trips until 9:30pm
  • Route 80: one select trip in the morning inbound to Tunney's Pasture
  • Route 81: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 85: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 86: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 88: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 89: one select trip to Tunney's Pasture
  • Route 90: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 93: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 97: majority of the trips until 8:30pm
  • Route 98: select trips throughout the day until 7pm
  • Route 99: limited select trips in the morning
  • Route 111: limited select trips in the morning
  • There are select trips on Routes N39, N57, N75, and N97 at the start of the day (but not at night after the fireworks)

In addition, there are 18 double decker runs assigned as extras (109s). So they may end up on other routes if required (to either cover a trip or do unscheduled supplement trips). That would be a total of 92 DD runs being scheduled for tomorrow. All DD runs should be back at the garage by 10pm, except for one DD run on Route 39. 

Finally, there are no electric bus runs scheduled for tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm guessing artics will more or less be out as well on certain routes as well?

No, not at all. Even though they make up over 1/3rd of the fleet, don’t expect to see them anywhere.

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2022 at 6:58 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Most likely since Tunney's is the western terminus currently, so it is simply not worth forcing a transfer after two stations. Instead bus service will be extended after the event ends for westbound service and providing direct connections.

Still to be confirmed since the event lasts 10 days. From July 7th to 17th. Having to plan for additional resources such as transit operators and staff to mange crowds.

Is that speculation or based in fact?

3 minutes ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Is that speculation or based in fact?

I would imagine that OC Transpo would build on the experience from Canada Day and prepare for Bluesfest along with future special events of a large scale. To answer your question, speculation until it is confirmed how the service plan will work for Bluesfest. 

Especially with a total attendance of 250,000 people over 10 days, I would imagine a plan would be created to address large scale public events. 

Can't comment on Bluesfest, but for Canada Day more then likely Canada Da years.y celebrations will be at Lebreton flats for next few years considering construction on Center Block & Hill wiil be going on for the next  10 years or so.

Canada Day service went through very well with minimal issues reported other than a door fault which led to delays. This is along with pushing out 15 trains in-service to ensure that the crowd gets cleared out in a minimal amount of time along with buses on stand-by to provide the westbound service from Pimisi Station and inserted at certain points where needed.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/canada-day-transit-service-a-success-oc-transpo-declares-1.5972172

I don't count Canada Day 2020 or 2021 which additional service was provided with no-charge fares all-day. Those years did not have any large in-person events where as Canada Day 2022 did have a large in-person event at Lebreton Flats. Also providing an opportunity to test how well the system can handle large volumes of passengers which most of the crowds were cleared out within 60 minutes after the end of the event.

I remember my Canada Day in Ottawa where buses would be parked along downtown and certain points to be inserted where needed back in 2012. Back then it was no-charge after 10 PM because they simply wanted to clear the crowd out of downtown as fast as possible. Open all the doors and depart when at full capacity which another bus would arrive soon after. Similar to the 450 event route series where they would load until it is full and run their route.

9 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Canada Day service went through very well with minimal issues reported other than a door fault which led to delays. This is along with pushing out 15 trains in-service to ensure that the crowd gets cleared out in a minimal amount of time along with buses on stand-by to provide the westbound service from Pimisi Station and inserted at certain points where needed.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/canada-day-transit-service-a-success-oc-transpo-declares-1.5972172

I don't count Canada Day 2020 or 2021 which additional service was provided with no-charge fares all-day. Those years did not have any large in-person events where as Canada Day 2022 did have a large in-person event at Lebreton Flats. Also providing an opportunity to test how well the system can handle large volumes of passengers which most of the crowds were cleared out within 60 minutes after the end of the event.

I remember my Canada Day in Ottawa where buses would be parked along downtown and certain points to be inserted where needed back in 2012. Back then it was no-charge after 10 PM because they simply wanted to clear the crowd out of downtown as fast as possible. Open all the doors and depart when at full capacity which another bus would arrive soon after. Similar to the 450 event route series where they would load until it is full and run their route.

As mentioned in this post on another thread, I was on board the very train that had the door fault. 

Obviously after the 10pm fireworks, that is when clearing the crowds is important. I do want to point out overall during the daytime, the amount of people going to Downtown were NOT at the same level compared to previous Canada Day (including 2019). There were no overloads on most buses travelling along the Transitway that I observed, nobody being left behind at Transitway stations, lots parking spaces available for the entire day at Park and Rides. I think a number of people who had in previous years gone Downtown chose not to do so this year (I have my speculative guesses). 

So while O-Train Line 1 did perform well overall (except for that door fault incident), this year's Canada Day did not have the normal crowds. Had the normal size of crowds return, yesterday's 5 minute service with 11 trains during the daytime might not have been sufficient (in my opinion). 

I'm interested in seeing how the LRT performs during Bluesfest that is coming up. 

As for the buses for westbound service after the fireworks, they staged the buses similar to how they did during Bluesfest in previous years -- they parked the buses on Albert Street between west of Bronson Avenue to Booth Street (taking up two regular traffic lanes), as well as excess buses laying up at the Champagne Lay-up (Bayview Station). 

• Thanks 1

Interesting? I recall when I use to go to the Canada Day Festivities several years ago 20+ years ago, the next day there would be several buses damaged, broken windows, smashed beer bootles on the floor, "puck" on the floor, emergeny roof hatches open along with the emergency handles pulled on windows on buses. I guess things have common down since then.