GOA transit news, info etc

1 minute ago, Loud-Invero said:

I know, but it didn't include debit cards nor did it apply to all stations.

I can't wait until it expands to all buses as well.

The readers were installed at all Line 1 Stations (sans the top reader). And according to the website.  Debit is still not accepted 

55D909E8-AAD4-4759-9A11-0785958663AF.thumb.jpeg.e7c571dcbc115e7e2d39679a1a8ea637.jpeg

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

I know, but it didn't include debit cards nor did it apply to all stations.

I can't wait until it expands to all buses as well.

Buses will be coming after the readers are replaced on those as well. There should be new red readers being installed across the fleet soon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OC Transpo is testing out retaining bike racks only on the double deckers currently. Providing year-round access to bike racks instead of Spring to Fall. 

Currently, the provision is bike racks are removed around October 31st before the first snowfall comes. Then reinstalled around March or April on all buses. 

https://www.octranspo.com/en/news/article/rack-roll-winter-pilot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Also I hope drivers monitor bike ridership so if the program causes more headaches than benefits, they can scrap it easily

it’s not just ridership that Oc Transpo will be monitoring, it’s the overall year round maintenance of the racks on each bus type .  (Which explains why I’ve seen 1-2 of each bus type equipped) 

I don’t see Oc Scrapping it that easily if the pilot is successful.  As City’s like Halifax & Chicago (similar winter conditions as Ottawa) The GTHA  all have year round bike rack service with no known issues.   

Hope they use some type of rust inhibitor and water repellent to prevent them from seizing up

If you use the proper amount of lubricant . The mechanisms won’t seize up.  

5 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Hope they use some type of rust inhibitor and water repellent to prevent them from seizing up. Also I hope drivers monitor bike ridership so if the program causes more headaches than benefits, they can scrap it easily

I imagine the labour cost of removing, storing and re-installing the racks isn't cheap. It would take a lot of "headaches" to match the current annual costs. The racks are also available in Stainless Steel - It wouldn't surprise me to see that be specified in the future if they become permanent in the winter.

Another consideration is the electric buses. A long-time reason to not use racks in the winter was because they wanted to pack more vehicles inside in the winter. With electric buses, spots must be marked for each vehicle as that is where the chargers are located. You can't cram more buses indoors than you have chargers for, so if they fit in the summer than they must fit in the winter.

• Thanks 2

Fair, that being said, that's why I'm hoping they can accumulate the data needed. Labour isn't free, neither is the non stainless steel racks (if we still have those?) failing due to corrosion, and what not. The one thing this inadvertently solves the problem that I've always had when I used to use Transit everyday and brought my bike, is that I found an extreme Oddity where 5 busses out of the 300 LFRs wouldn't have a bike rack because the reinstall program was continuing on into June, and I seemed to get that one more often I should have... Plus, the month they start it's too far into spring, so that's a plus that I don't have to wait until May/June to get decent bike rack coverage.

As everybody is well aware, there has been major transit disruption as a direct result of the Freedom Convoy 2022 demonstration.

This afternoon (and as I write this post), there is a Special City Council Meeting to discuss the entire situation. 

Councillor Catherine McKenny moved a Motion (seconded by Councillor Mathieu Fleury) directing OC Transpo to provide no-charge transit for select routes from February 20, 2022 to until 30 days after the State of Emergency is over. Motion was apparently approved unanimously.

Former Ottawa Citizen Reporter David Reevely also tweeted this out:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

I know the 11 cuts through Somerset and 85 to Gatineau, but would they provide no charge service all the way to Bayshore even though the disruption on the 85 only covered a small portion of the route?

I saw an 11 going north on Bank turning left down Gladstone on my way home from work around 10:30pm.

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

I know the 11 cuts through Somerset and 85 to Gatineau, but would they provide no charge service all the way to Bayshore even though the disruption on the 85 only covered a small portion of the route?

It indicates that at any stop where the affected routes service, passengers can board at no-charge and disembark anywhere along the route. Passengers won't be issued a transfer and asked to pay at the next opportunity.

Pretty difficult to make it at select stops having a two-tier system where one stop, you can board at no-charge and if you went further down you have to pay. The cost of no charge transit will be accounted for in the list of expenses tied to Freedom Convoy 2022. 

26 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Pretty difficult to make it at select stops having a two-tier system where one stop, you can board at no-charge and if you went further down you have to pay.

Sort of? Routes 96 and 92 provided no charge service along Tremblay Ave. After Train Stn up to St. Laurent Blvd. during LRT construction. I imagine it would be something similar to that.

43 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Sort of? Routes 96 and 92 provided no charge service along Tremblay Ave. After Train Stn up to St. Laurent Blvd. during LRT construction. I imagine it would be something similar to that.

My mistake. Forgot how the special provision was made for the 92/96 routes back when they extended to St. Laurent in all time periods instead of Hurdman. It was a pretty small section along with how it was closer to the end of the route. Technically the amount of forgone revenue would be extremely small plus those going beyond St. Laurent and transferring to another route would simply pay the next bus. 

Regarding the proposal for no-charge transit on 15 routes, it is a lot more geography and routes to cover. Most likely why the report said "any bus stop along the route" versus trying to draw boundary lines and possibly missing a section having to account for that factor. This is along with printing signs to mark which stops are no-charge along with the labour to install them overhead so people can see. Being on short notice too aiming to have it ready by February 20th. 

14 hours ago, JCL said:

As everybody is well aware, there has been major transit disruption as a direct result of the Freedom Convoy 2022 demonstration.

This afternoon (and as I write this post), there is a Special City Council Meeting to discuss the entire situation. 

Councillor Catherine McKenny moved a Motion (seconded by Councillor Mathieu Fleury) directing OC Transpo to provide no-charge transit for select routes from February 20, 2022 to until 30 days after the State of Emergency is over. Motion was apparently approved unanimously.

13 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

11 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

It indicates that at any stop where the affected routes service, passengers can board at no-charge and disembark anywhere along the route. Passengers won't be issued a transfer and asked to pay at the next opportunity.

Pretty difficult to make it at select stops having a two-tier system where one stop, you can board at no-charge and if you went further down you have to pay. The cost of no charge transit will be accounted for in the list of expenses tied to Freedom Convoy 2022. 

This is from a City news release this morning:

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/council-takes-further-action-response-ongoing-demonstration

OC Transpo to provide no-charge transit service to residents and workers in the affected areas beginning on Sunday, February 20 and lasting 30 days after the City lifts its State of Emergency. OC Transpo will collect no fares as customers board buses at any stops [emphasis mine] on routes 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 55, 56, 85 and 114 – except that fares will be required at pedestrian entrances to Greenboro, Hurdman and Tunney’s Pasture stations. Payment will be required for transfers beyond these routes. No fares will be collected for Para Transpo trips booked to or from addresses in Somerset and Rideau-Vanier wards. The cost of no-charge transit would be funded by the transit operating reserve while the City seeks additional compensation from other levels of government.

It’ll turn into a free for-all of nobody paying on any route, with all the interlining they must expect drivers to tape up the farebox and Apply/remove sticker over presto for every trip through the core.. I get the idea and I’m all for it but yeah, fun times ahead. 

maybe there’s a way to remotely disable presto readers on select trips but I’m unsure ( presto readers were disabled all December ) 

16 hours ago, JCL said:

Former Ottawa Citizen Reporter David Reevely also tweeted this out:

Follow-up to my post from last night. 

Below is the wording of the Motion full motion (in case the social media screenshot gets removed in the future). And I note that Councillor Rick Chiarelli dissented on the motion.

MOTION

Moved by Councillor C. McKenney

Seconded by Councillor M. Fleury

WHEREAS since on or about Friday, January 28, 2022, hundreds of vehicles and hundreds to thousands of individuals at any given time have illegally occupied the downtown core; and

WHEREAS the occupation has blocked city streets and transit routes throughout the downtown core; and

WHEREAS some monthly transit pass holders paid for February passes but have had limited use of them;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that OC Transpo provide fare-free bus and Para Transpo service to residents and workers in the affected areas beginning on Sunday, February 20, 2022, and until 30 days after the City is no longer in a state of emergency under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, by:

(a)  collecting no fares as customers board buses at any bus stop on bus routes 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 55, 56, 85 and 114 (except that fares will continue to be required at the pedestrian entrances to the fare-paid zones at Greenboro, Hurdman, and Tunney’s Pasture stations); and

(b)  collecting no fares for Para Transpo trips which are booked to or from addresses in Somerset and Rideau-Vanier wards; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the foregone revenue from the no-charge transit be funded from the Transit Operating Reserve and the City seek to recover the foregone revenue from other levels of government in the request for compensation from the occupation.

CARRIED with Councillor R. Chiarelli dissenting.

Here is the YouTube video of yesterday's City Council Meeting queued-up to where the Motion was introduced and discussed.

There will be a City Council Meeting scheduled for this Wednesday, February 23. 

An e-mail was sent out by Mayor Jim Watson to the City Council members (obtained by former Ottawa Citizen Reporter Ken Gray, where I think all other accredited media outlets would also have a copy), link: https://bulldogottawa.com/giant-aid-package-to-help-core-businesses/

I think there might be a "walk-on" Motion of expanding no-charge transit as a direct result of the Freedom Convoy 2022. There isn't a written copy of the Motion that is available as I write this post. But keep an eye on this. 

On 2/21/2022 at 8:37 PM, JCL said:

There will be a City Council Meeting scheduled for this Wednesday, February 23. 

An e-mail was sent out by Mayor Jim Watson to the City Council members (obtained by former Ottawa Citizen Reporter Ken Gray, where I think all other accredited media outlets would also have a copy), link: https://bulldogottawa.com/giant-aid-package-to-help-core-businesses/

I think there might be a "walk-on" Motion of expanding no-charge transit as a direct result of the Freedom Convoy 2022. There isn't a written copy of the Motion that is available as I write this post. But keep an eye on this. 

The Motion was presented moments ago, and it is essentially to expand no-charge transit to O-Train LRT Line 1 -- it was passed unanimously by Council (the Motion was Carried without yeas and nays being called). 

This is to go into effect this Friday, February 25, 2022 until 30 days after the City is no longer under a State of Emergency. 

I will copy-and-paste the wording of the Motion at a later time (once it's available on the city's web site), by way of an edit to this post. 

EDIT (Feb 25, 2022)

Wording of Motion

MOTION

Moved by Councillor A. Hubley

Seconded by Councillor C. McKenney

WHEREAS the City was subject to a significant and protracted protest and occupation of streets and public areas in and adjacent to the downtown core for a period of three weeks;

WHEREAS this disruption and the resulting street closures, noise and unacceptable behaviour from protesters severely impacted business operations in the affected area, with many businesses unable to provide a safe environment for employees and customers and opting to limit operating hours or close;

WHEREAS additional efforts will be necessary to support the resumption of regular business operations in affected areas by encouraging customers to visit and highlighting the vitality of Ottawa’s main streets and neighbourhoods;

WHEREAS transit services play an important role in bringing residents and visitors to the commercial districts impacted by the occupation, where detoured routes are currently on no-fare service for 30 days, as per the motion adopted by Council on February 16, 2022;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that Council expand the no-charge transit service to include service on Line 1 to start on Friday, February 25, and continuing until 30 days after the City’s State of Emergency ends; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that the foregone revenue from the no-charge transit, at an incremental cost of approximately $1.052 million, be funded from the Transit Operating Reserve and that the City seek to recover the foregone revenue from other levels of government in the request for compensation from the occupation.

CARRIED

Edited by JCL
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So if someone boards the LRT and gets off lets say Hurdman, is that individual "suppose to" tap when boarding a bus or does he or she gets a free ride on the bus?

Supposed to vs policy are two very different things. If you get a free ride through the LRT and jump on a non downtown route you’re supposed to tap.. but will they? Nah. 

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

So if someone boards the LRT and gets off lets say Hurdman, is that individual "suppose to" tap when boarding a bus or does he or she gets a free ride on the bus?

HURDMAN , TUNNEYS , BLAIR (Trackside) and GREENBORO are FARE PAID ZONES so if you take the train and get off at these stations you are NOT required to Tap when boarding a bus. 

But? Since the O-Train is going to be free Friday and you make a connection at one of those stations or hop a bus(walking to station mentioned) but take the bus instead should you pay? It's the O-Train thats free not the bus? So if normally you pay thru the fare gate to catch your bus your getting a fre ride then?

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

But? Since the O-Train is going to be free Friday and you make a connection at one of those stations or hop a bus(walking to station mentioned) but take the bus instead should you pay? It's the O-Train thats free not the bus? So if normally you pay thru the fare gate to catch your bus your getting a fre ride then?

"HURDMAN , TUNNEYS , BLAIR (Trackside) and GREENBORO are FARE PAID ZONES so if you take the train and get off at these stations you are NOT required to Tap when boarding a bus." So, yes, in short.