Canadian National

GOA transit news, info etc

The D60LF that was hit by a truck on Albert/Kent #6387 has been completely rebuilt (not the entire bus, just the front area and etc...). Got to ride it on it's first road test.....not bad except for an alarm that keeps going off when the brakes are applied and a burning smell at the front...

oc_6387_f.png

I rode it today. The seats in the articulated section were really shaking

impossible seeing as the bus is not road worthy and you mentioned in the spotting thread that you rode 6378

<_< Just looked back... Yep. My mistake >_<

6399 now has a farebox. I read a memo from fleet that mentioned the new buses to be numbered from 6399 to 6404. (assuming 6400 isn't skipped)

Wasn't there supposed to be only 4 units...6399, 6400, 6401 and 6402?

Wasn't there supposed to be only 4 units...6399, 6400, 6401 and 6402?

I was told by another source (Not going to reveal who, it doesn't matter anyways) that OC Transpo bought some more units. Though I cannot confirm this, so we'll have to wait until these buses get delivered.

I was told by another source (Not going to reveal who, it doesn't matter anyways) that OC Transpo bought some more units. Though I cannot confirm this, so we'll have to wait until these buses get delivered.

Alright...iirc, it only said 4 units in the document JCL posted a while ago, I can't put a name to the doc. cause i dont remember which one

You still think these are the Chicago Rejects? Lol.
No, but still, I ain't going to rule it out, but I highly doubt they will be chicago rejects. The Chicago Rejects are DE60LFs. Now that I thought about it I highly doubt OC would buy hybrid artics. I'm just going to wait for them to arrive. Besides the Chicago Rejects have no middle door, that will really screw things up for OC. Especially like for a route like the 12 or 95.

So I highly doubt it, but OC has done some pretty surprising things in the past, that is why I am not ruling it out.

Also I don't really care anymore.

Edit: Beside look at those seats on them in this video, those would be vandalized so quickly if OC was to buy them:

Not to get in the middle of he said or he said this?

Wasn't there a doc, not sure who post it maybe JCL that OC had an option to buy up to 77 more units if they want to?

I wonder what the NCC has to say about this, seeing that re-opening Union would mean putting rails back over Colonel By Drive.

Ottawa's Union Station could see trains again

Last Updated: Thursday, January 14, 2010 | 9:32 AM ET

CBC News

A historical former Ottawa train station may welcome rail passengers again in coming years.

Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien told CBC News Wednesday that the city is looking to buy the downtown Union Train Station, which was Ottawa's main railway station from 1912 to the mid-1960s. The stately stone building would be used as one of the downtown stations for the city's proposed light rail transit line.

"It would be a very exciting addition," said O'Brien.

He added that the landmark on Wellington Street, across from the Chateau Laurier hotel, is "perfectly located." It is on the Rideau Canal, close to the Ottawa Convention Centre that is currently under construction, the Parliament Buildings and the Byward Market.

The building is owned by Public Works and Government Services Canada, which uses it as a government conference centre.

O'Brien said the city is currently in "preliminary stages" of discussion about the station. One idea has the city paying a dollar for the site, with the province kicking in $60 million to $70 million to pay for removal of asbestos and other improvements to the building.

EDIT: A second transit-related article but unrelated to the first.

Council OKs design for $2.1B LRT

Last Updated: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 | 4:33 PM ET

CBC News

Ottawa city council has taken the next step towards building a $2.1 billion light rail system, which will include a transit tunnel under the city's core.

Council voted 19 to 4 in favour of the design plan for the project's first phase, which includes a 12.5-kilometre light rail line from Tunney's Pasture to Blair Station, and a 3.2-kilometre tunnel through the downtown.

Now that the plan is approved, the environmental assessment phase can begin.

It wasn't quite unanimous. Coun. Gord Hunter was among only four members of council to vote against the underground option.

"It's time that we see the light, and end the tunnel. Thank you very much Mr. Mayor," Hunter said.

But the tunnel won the day, with an overwhelming majority -- 19 councillors -- in favour.

The vote comes just a day after mayoral candidate MPP Jim Watson expressed concern over the project's $2.1-billion price tag, and said he'd re-think the downtown tunnel, and even consider a "BRT," or bus-only plan.

Transit committee chair Alex Cullen, who's also running for mayor, had this to say:

"[it's] time to get on the train. The BRT option we've looked at. We took it very, very seriously. But you have to choose; we made a choice; it's electric light rail using a transitway system, and it's going through a tunnel, so the BRT days are gone."

The vote was a victory for Mayor Larry O'Brien.

"Yeah, I think it sends a very, very clear message to those that would be second-guessing the entire plan. It's a bold plan, it's a bold plan, it's a plan for the future, and one that I could stand behind in any kind of campaign should I be in one," O'Brien said.

There are still two vital pieces of the plan missing -- confirmation of federal funding for the project, and permission from the National Capital Commission to use the Ottawa River Parkway. The project's backers promise both are on the way.

I wonder what the NCC has to say about this, seeing that re-opening Union would mean putting rails back over Colonel By Drive.

Not necessarily. The current LRT plan would have the rail tunnel running roughly east-west under the NAC, the Rideau Canal and the old train station to the Rideau Centre. However, last that I heard the federal government had no plans to give up their Conference Centre... :P

Not necessarily. The current LRT plan would have the rail tunnel running roughly east-west under the NAC, the Rideau Canal and the old train station to the Rideau Centre. However, last that I heard the federal government had no plans to give up their Conference Centre... :P

I think you thought they were related. They're two unrelated articles. One is about the LRT, the other is about the City looking into purchasing Union Station again. So I was wondering what the NCC would have to say about the purchase of Union Station, seeing that tracks would be laid over Colonel By Drive again. Sorry about the confusion.

I think you thought they were related. They're two unrelated articles. One is about the LRT, the other is about the City looking into purchasing Union Station again. So I was wondering what the NCC would have to say about the purchase of Union Station, seeing that tracks would be laid over Colonel By Drive again. Sorry about the confusion.

Hmm... The two articles do not appear to be unrelated, as the first article has contains the following passage:

The stately stone building would be used as one of the downtown stations for the city's proposed light rail transit line.

I've been involved in the LRT project at the community level and have been following the progress with great interest, and I first heard about the city's hopes to buy the station several months ago. No worries... :P

CFRA is reporting that the double decker bus trial will end in March - http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=70724

There was a news article on CTV Ottawa last night that the new Industrial Avenue garage will not be able to accomodate the double decker buses. There is a video on ottawa.ctv.ca titled "Double-decker buses create trouble for OC Transpo".

CFRA is reporting that the double decker bus trial will end in March - http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=70724
There was a news article on CTV Ottawa last night that the new Industrial Avenue garage will not be able to accomodate the double decker buses. There is a video on ottawa.ctv.ca titled "Double-decker buses create trouble for OC Transpo".

I attended the Transit Committee meeting this morning. According to the GM of Transit Services (OC Transpo), he said that CFRA was incorrect when they reported that the double deckers would not fit at the new Industrial Garage.

Huh! Too bad but then again with the loading/unloading it is a bit of a joke. Maybe if they had a real limited stop route that they could use it on; or maybe on some sort of a dedicated tourist route... other than that...

Huh! Too bad but then again with the loading/unloading it is a bit of a joke. Maybe if they had a real limited stop route that they could use it on; or maybe on some sort of a dedicated tourist route... other than that...

Route 94 is a limited stop route off the Transitway. Double Deckers do operate on it.

I attended the Transit Committee meeting this morning. According to the GM of Transit Services (OC Transpo), he said that CFRA was incorrect when they reported that the double deckers would not fit at the new Industrial Garage.

The Double Deckers actually do not fit. The Garage doors are not big enough.

In terms of dwell time, some routes perform better than others. Route 94 is a horrible route for double deckers because of the stop-and-go on Innes (particularly in the Blackburn Hamlet area, where there are many bus stops very close to each other) - they have run up to 10-15 minutes late. Route 96 seem to perform better.

Dwell time is also a factor when the operator enforces the policy by asking all passengers who are sitting upstairs to remain seated until the bus is fully stopped. Furthermore, operators are not to move the bus until passengers who are going upstairs have cleared the staircase. Some operators enforce the policy, some don't. Note that when the two previous DD demos took place in June 2006 and February 2007, the policy was either not enforced or did not exist.

Route 94 is a limited stop route off the Transitway. Double Deckers do operate on it.

In my opinion, the so-called "limited stops" on Route 94 (as well as Routes 101 and 102) aren't limited enough. You really need to skip several bus stops consecutively in order to make that "gain".

Here are the list of bus stops (obtained from the Travel Planner) along Innes, from Blair to the Innes Bypass going eastbound:

INNES / BLAIR (8831)
INNES / ANDERSON (2517) **
INNES / INNES BYPASS (8308)
(for clarity, this stop is for the "Ottawa Detention Centre")
INNES / INNES BYPASS (6418) **
INNES / TAUVETTE (2613)
INNES / BEDDOE (8682)
INNES / BEARBROOK (2611)
INNES / AD. 2676 (2610) **
INNES / ORIENT PARK (8199)
INNES / EASTPARK (8197)
INNES / RONDEL (8952)
INNES / CLÉROUX (8198)
INNES / KEYSTONE (2650)
INNES / CLEROUX (2649) **
INNES / INNES BYPASS (1735)

** = bus stops where Route 94 does not service.

A good example of "true" limited stops are the Barrhaven Express Routes when they travel on Woodroffe Avenue, where they skip 5 stops consecutively. After Baseline Station, the next stop would be Hunt Club. They don't service the stop before Meadowlands, Meadowlands/Tallwood, Norice, Knoxdale/Medhurst, and Majestic.

The Double Deckers actually do not fit. The Garage doors are not big enough.

I'm just relaying the information from Mr. Mercier when he was explaining this matter today to the Councillors publically...

Question could be though, how come quite literally thousands of double deckers (around 3000 or so) can operate successfully, and safely, in a city like London which has approx 10 times the population of Ottawa, or indeed operate successfully in other parts of North America (many on services which are not limited stop)?