Canadian National

GOA transit news, info etc

Well Halifax does have similar fare boxes, so it would make sense for the tickets to be Halifax size.

So I assume that OC still requires us (adults) to put 2 tickets into the fare box instead of 1? Boy considering the size of Halifax Tickets, that will feel weird when putting into the fare box.

I have some Kingston adult tickets from around 2000 and they are the biggest I have at about 3 cm square. The child and senior tickets were even bigger at about 3 cm x 6 cm or something like that. :angry:

I haven't had the chance to buy some of the new tickets yet, probably this Sunday if I have the time.

If they are as big as people are saying they are, how will I fit them in my wallet now? I just thought of that as the old small tickets fit in my wallet perfectly.

Essential Service?

So what happen? I know it was supose to be debate by the transit committee then if passed on to city council> So was it passed on to city council?

I was readin gin the Citizen today that a there was yet another accident at Albert and Kent involving OC Transpo, if I find the article, i'll post it.

Mississauga Transit student tickets are currently 2x3 inches which translates to roughly 5x8cm.

heres a pic i took i added a Tonnie so people know how big the new bus tickets are. has well for the ones that seen the new bus tickets im sure everyone can agree it feal more like paper

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

post-3402-1236412506_thumb.jpg

post-3402-1236412506_thumb.jpg

heres a pic i took i added a Tonnie so people know how big the new bus tickets are. has well for the ones that seen the new bus tickets im sure everyone can agree it feal more like paper

Heh, not surprised about it. There are several system that have large ticket as well.

YRT is another one, only slightly bigger.
Only real surprising fact that still amazes me is that we still have to put in 2 tickets, instead of the 1 ticket that every other system uses.

Only real surprising fact that still amazes me is that we still have to put in 2 tickets, instead of the 1 ticket that every other system uses.

Yeah, that can confuse out-of-towners or, conversely, OC users on the STO or other systems: "You sure I don't have to put in two tickets?" :P

May I trouble you for a picture? I still haven't been able to purchase some. I usually buy tickets at Zellers, but they still sell the old green ones. :angry:

ISMichael.

I went to St. Laurent Station this morning to buy the new tickets and got green ones. It looked as thought they still had lots of them on hand too. :D

I went to St. Laurent Station this morning to buy the new tickets and got green ones. It looked as thought they still had lots of them on hand too. :P
You could try asking for the new ones specifically. Sure they might give you a weird look, but say you heard the new ones are big and would like to see for yourself.

I went to St. Laurent Station this morning to buy the new tickets and got green ones. It looked as thought they still had lots of them on hand too. :P

Try Mackenzie King.

I bet most of the opponents were suburban and rural councillors. What a disgrace! This was a good occasion to try to attract more ridership. Although seems most are more preoccupied by cueball's zero-means-zero nonsense.

Transit pass plan for students fails at council

Councillors vote against waiving rules for debate

By Patrick Dare, The Ottawa CitizenMarch 11, 2009 11:02 PM

OTTAWA-The push for a pilot project for a transit pass for University of Ottawa students died at Ottawa Council on Wednesday when councillors decided they couldn’t even debate the issue.

City council’s transportation committee had unanimously approved the program, which would see more than 24,000 University of Ottawa undergraduates from Ontario getting a transit pass for $125 per semester.

However, city solicitor Rick O’Connor told council in a memo that they should waive the rules of procedure because council had already looked at the university pass issue in December. At the meeting, Mayor Larry O’Brien ruled that council must waive the rules. That’s a high bar, since three quarters of council must support waiving the rules.

Councillors supporting the project argued there were a lot of new facts that mean it was not simply a re-debate. Those new facts included falling transit ridership at the university, the need to rebuild ridership after a 53-day transit strike and a promise that any costs of the program would not result in additional property taxes.

Rideau-Rockcliffe Councillor Jacques Legendre begged his fellow councillors to debate and support the initiative. Capital Councillor Clive Doucet said the university pass was a rare opportunity to do something positive after a devastating transit strike in December and January. He noted that, if the pilot is successful, it could be expanded to serve a total of 50,000 postsecondary students in the city.

However, only half of councillors were willing to debate the project. Sixteen votes were needed and only 11 councillors voted to debate the issue.

River Councillor Maria McRae was appalled, saying councillors happily approved $5.7 million in spending for pet projects in their wards earlier in the day but wouldn’t support a measure to advance public transit’s cause.

“It’s very disappointing,” she said, adding that Ottawa was the only large city in Ontario not to have such a program. “We’re letting the students down. This reflects a lack of city-wide vision.”

Doucet was bitterly disappointed, saying it was the fourth attempt in 10 years to get a university pass and this time he felt a majority of councillors wanted it. However, he said he was tripped up when the mayor ruled that there was not new information and that the rules had to be waived.

The chairman of the city’s transit committee, Alex Cullen, said the failure to approve a university pass was “a setback” that meant such a program will not happen in Ottawa for years.

John Rausseo, sustainable development co-ordinator at the University of Ottawa, said the university has been working on this proposal for five years and the refusal of council was “a shame.” Still, he said the university, whose undergraduates voted to support the pass, would not give up.

A universal transit pass for university students has been discussed for 15 years in Ottawa.

Council did vote Wednesday to delay a ticket-price increase scheduled for April until July 1, with the $1.1-million cost to come from OC Transpo’s bus refurbishment program. Council also confirmed a strategy of reducing new bus purchases from 38 to 13 this year to cover the $22.7-million shortfall created by the transit strike.

© Copyright © The Ottawa Citizen

The buses that were supposed to be on 100-1 and 100-2 were D40i's and they did not have run numbers in their slot at the front windows.

Also, as said by JCL, Double Deckers will be in service on March 30, 2009.

ISMichael. :)

If they get the approvals, it would be March 30th. I am going to be following up with my source on Friday to make sure that the date is a go.

If they get the approvals, it would be March 30th. I am going to be following up with my source on Friday to make sure that the date is a go.

Btw not sure if you saw my other post in the OC Spotting, but, if the DDs do go back into service, will they be on the same runs and same paddles?

Btw not sure if you saw my other post in the OC Spotting, but, if the DDs do go back into service, will they be on the same runs and same paddles?

The answer is yes.

I went to St. Laurent Station this morning to buy the new tickets and got green ones. It looked as thought they still had lots of them on hand too. :angry:

I was given the choice between the green & huge pink ones at baseline

Repair backlog delays full bus service

Transit boss warns of increased congestion on high capacity routes

By AEDAN HELMER, Sun Media

OC Transpo’s return to full service has been temporarily derailed by a backlog of buses in service bays across the city.

According to a memo OC Transpo boss Alain Mercier sent to councillors Thursday, buses requiring “extensive work to make them roadworthy” and buses requiring modification and refurbishing are running behind schedule.

OC Transpo staff and local repair shops are on schedule when it comes to vehicles requiring scheduled Ontario Ministry of Transportation safety inspections and those undergoing preventative maintenance, but other buses might have to be shipped out to Kingston or Montreal to ease the burden.

“The use of external repair shops is necessary due to internal resource capacity limits, both from a staffing and facility perspective,” Mercier said in the memo.

As the return-to-service plan rolls into its third phase, only 745 of the anticipated 770 buses are roadworthy.

The shortfall has forced staff to revisit the timetable for a return to full service, which had been running three weeks ahead of schedule.

OC Transpo has now set a goal of having 820 buses on the road by April 6 — 26 buses shy of the original target.

In the memo, Mercier warns of increased congestion on high capacity routes.

Mercier said in addition to experiencing delays with local repair shops, the transit service is finding “unexpected design deficiencies” in recently purchased articulated and 40-foot buses.

OC Transpo has been in contact with the Winnipeg-based manufacturer to receive additional assistance and to expedite the delivery of parts.

recently i have noticed a lot of problems with oc's buses. Eg. hand rails loose on inveros, and other buses being refurbished with parts that clearly do not match the rest of the bus. is it just me, or does it seem that oc's fleet is falling apart?

I guess I'll post this here as it's general info... I ran into a mechanic at the Veolia St-Jean-sur-Richelieu garage today and he told me that he bought an old OC Transpo GM New Look last year from the military base in Petawawa! Appearently after its days in OC Transpo, it got shipped to Petawawa for service for military personel and he bought it from them. Anyone know what unit it could be? The guy runs it in the summer for fun and its at this house in a field in Farnham, Qc.