GOA transit news, info etc

3 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Only Ottawa Citizen said there were 3 fatalities. None of the other sites said that.

4 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

17 injuries. Two in critical condition. Still (hopefully) no fatalities.

22 minutes ago, C.Flat said:

Sounds like 3 fatalities so far now

Ottawa Paramedics confirms 17 injured.

• Thanks 1

Ottawa Police Chief has confirmed in a live news conference at Westboro Station (via CTV News Ottawa) just now that there have been fatalities, but did not indicate the number. So only Ottawa Citizen is saying 3 fatalities.

There will be a press conference at 7pm.

• Sad 4

16 minutes ago, JCL said:

Ottawa Police Chief has confirmed in a live news conference at Westboro Station (via CTV News Ottawa) just now that there have been fatalities, but did not indicate the number. So only Ottawa Citizen is saying 3 fatalities.

There will be a press conference at 7pm.

To add on, CBC has confirmed that there are now nine in critical condition

According to the CBC article, this happened on route 269 (former 61).

3 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Given the extent of the damage, it is likely that it was moving at high speed during the impact. Some express buses travel really fast through the corridor.

It was a connextion route (269) so it would have bypassed Westboro, hence that's plausible. Though of course, an investigation needs to be done as @CanadaGoose has said.

Also, for those who wants to watch the press conference at 7 p.m., CTV News app (CTV News go) will be broadcasting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Lmao, that's what I said to my friend ? The shelter seems stronger than a million dollar bus.

That's not funny at all. This is a very serious matter. This is nothing to laugh about.

Anyone else get that same weird feeling when 8017 crashed?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TTC 9701 said:

That's not funny at all. This is a very serious matter. This is nothing to laugh about.

Anyone else get that same weird feeling when 8017 crashed?

I’ve seen so many of these empathy impaired posts every single time a fatal accident occurs, I expect them now.

This board has collectively sunk to a new low.

• Thanks 5

Just now, Bus_Medic said:

I’ve seen so many of these empathy impaired posts every single time a fatal accident occurs, I expect them now.

This board has collectively sunk to a new low.

Why shun/generalize everyone because I made an insensitive remark on what was only 3 injuries at the time of the making of that post? 

CTV news is reporting 4 fatalities.

Because it was an insensitive remark. Doesn't matter what the circumstances were.

For whatever it's worth, this incident hits home in a big way: route 269 is (one of) my regular routes, and based on the time of the incident I could well have been a passenger on that bus if I was working today...

Because it happens over, and over, and over again.

I stand behind my inference that the use of “LOL” and the use of laughing emojis (or any emojis, really) while a mass casualty incident is unfolding is mind blowingly tone deaf and obtuse.

There are just some statements people make that tell you all you care to know about a person. You sir, have the character depth of a birdbath.

Par for the course amongst transit fans, as I’ve learned over the last 13 years here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

There is a phone number set up for those who need support and think a loved-one is involved.

1-(855) 797-8875

Flags in Ottawa will be at half-mast for the time being as a show of support. Condolences to the victims and their families.

9 critical injuries

Transitway will remain closed until further notice. TSB investigation is pending. Anyone with any information or video is asked to contact Ottawa police collision unit. *Will update with number*.

My thoughts are with everyone who was affected by this tragedy. Also, a big thank you to all the first responders and transit constables who responded to the scene.

• Like 1