Canadian National

GOA transit news, info etc

1 hour ago, OCCheetos said:

I'm talking about the industrial spur leading to this building.

Ah thank you!

Also judging by that, it is owned by the people developing the Chaudiere area, Zibi, not the city of Ottawa. Not sure if they owned it before Zibi existed, but it is on Gatineau soil so I very much doubt it.

Charlie

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

I don't see why they'd have to. I guess as a formality, but it isn't required. I'm not sure if the city owns the factory or even any of the rail there. As far as I know they only own a short piece of track approaching the bridge.

It was also a CP line, not CN.

I looked up from old OC maps from Carleton U and it says the railline pre 2001 is C.N.R not C.P.R. also I've occasionally seen C.N trains west of Greenboro Station and never a C.P

SystemMap1999.pdf

20 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I looked up from old OC maps from Carleton U and it says the railline pre 2001 is C.N.R not C.P.R. also I've occasionally seen C.N trains west of Greenboro Station and never a C.P

SystemMap1999.pdf

image.thumb.png.c9c0462be4a080217ded1aebcd396cc2.png

You can also read about the initial leasing of the Ellwood/(Prescott) subdivision(s) from CP for the original O-Train pilot project here.

CP has since left the city entirely which is why you wouldn't see any CP trains in this area (other than the 150 train!) anymore. CP also owned the northern half of Walkley Yard (including the buildings where Trillium Line trains are maintained) and if you look closely at satellite imagery you can still see old lamp posts and ties where the yard tracks would have been.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

SystemMap1999.pdf

The reason you only see CN freight trains now in the Ottawa area is because CP has completely left Ottawa. CN is currently the only freight operator in the city as they bought Ottawa Central in 2008 and it is now a subsidiary of CN. That also means that CN does all of the odd freight traffic jobs in the city, including to the NRC at the airport.

-Charlie

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2018 at 12:50 PM, Charlie said:

The reason you only see CN freight trains now in the Ottawa area is because CP has completely left Ottawa. CN is currently the only freight operator in the city as they bought Ottawa Central in 2008 and it is now a subsidiary of CN. That also means that CN does all of the odd freight traffic jobs in the city, including to the NRC at the airport.

-Charlie

The O-Train part of walkley yard is on a 999 year lease from CP. So you could say they still technically own land in Ottawa