Canadian National

GOA transit news, info etc

On 12/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, MCIBUS said:

I don't know how OC has the announcement system set up or how they can control the volume, but in today's world of computers & electronics I'm sure there must be some way of controlling the volume?

There is, but it's not accessible to operators.

On 2017-12-19 at 6:22 PM, HB_1024 said:

OC Transpo fined $25K for failing to call out bus stops

Unsurprised. I'd need more hands than I have to count the number of times I've been on a bus in the last few months alone where the announcements were either silent or too quiet to be of any use.

I am glad that the CTA is finally putting some pressure for OC Transpo to make sure the announcements are working a audible, but what good does it do with a publically funded federal agency fineing another publicly funded agency. I don’t think that it is really in the interest of the people for OC Transpo to pay that 25 thousand dollars of Taxpayer money to another agency. To me, it would just make more sense to just force OC Transpo to announce all the major destinations, then maybe take further action or help OC Transpo in some way to make sure they comply. My point is is that the Canadian Transportation agency should be working with OC Transpo , not makin them pay 25 thousand dollars of public money.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years,

-Charlie

• Like 1

You can expect to see the double deckers being used during the middays and on other routes, effective for the Winter Service (and not applicable to Reduced Weekday Service - Christmas Week, New Years Week, Family Day, March Break Week and Easter Monday).

Most noticeably, you'll see them on Routes 91 and 95 during the middays. But there are few other routes where you can expect to see them on (without disclosing the actual start times of the trips and run numbers):

- Route 6, approximately between 7am and 6pm (some trips, but not all trips)
- Route 12, one mid-morning trip eastbound to Blair
- Route 61 in the late-morning rush hour (one westbound trip to Stittsville, one eastbound trip to St. Laurent from Terry Fox) - that is in addition to the three existing afternoon trips on Route 61C to Stittsville
- Route 94 rush hour only (a couple of trips in the morning, and a number of trips in the afternoon)
- Route 97, approximately between 8am and 7pm (some trips, but not all trips)
- Route 111 in the PM rush hour (two eastbound trips and two westbound trips)

7 hours ago, JCL said:

You can expect to see the double deckers being used during the middays and on other routes, effective for the Winter Service (and not applicable to Reduced Weekday Service - Christmas Week, New Years Week, Family Day, March Break Week and Easter monday

- Route 94 rush hour only (a couple of trips in the morning, and a number of trips in the afternoon)

Saw this 5 mins ago 

5a44192b3a4a0_2017-12-2717_04_42.thumb.jpg.c67bea599e9dc5c768d039886924b9e3.jpg

50 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Saw this 5 mins ago 

5a44192b3a4a0_2017-12-2717_04_42.thumb.jpg.c67bea599e9dc5c768d039886924b9e3.jpg

Perhaps it was poor choice of wording when I said "and not applicable to Reduced Weekday Service - Christmas Week, New Years Week, Family Day, March Break Week and Easter Monday" in my initial post. There are indeed double deckers on Route 94 on Reduce Weekday Service. However, it's not to the same extent as regular weekday service. For example, Route 6 does not have many trips with DDs on Reduce Weekday Service compared to the Regular Weekday Service.

Another example would be that only for Reduce Weekday Service levels, there are two very late-afternoon rush hour trips on Route 189 with double deckers (upon completion of a trip on Route 94 Riverview), whereas on Regular Weekday Service there aren't any. 

13 minutes ago, JCL said:

Perhaps it was poor choice of wording when I said "and not applicable to Reduced Weekday Service - Christmas Week, New Years Week, Family Day, March Break Week and Easter Monday" in my initial post. There are indeed double deckers on Route 94 on Reduce Weekday Service. However, it's not to the same extent as regular weekday service. For example, Route 6 does not have many trips with DDs on Reduce Weekday Service compared to the Regular Weekday Service.

Another example would be that only for Reduce Weekday Service levels, there are two very late-afternoon rush hour trips on Route 189 with double deckers (upon completion of a trip on Route 94 Riverview), whereas on Regular Weekday Service there aren't any. 

Thanks for clairifying 

4 hours ago, JCL said:

Um, the 189 has now been renumbered to 198, but I know what you are referring to.

Especially with the interlining on some crews (completion of one trip, then doing a different route shortly after). 

21 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Um, the 189 has now been renumbered to 198, but I know what you are referring to.

Especially with the interlining on some crews (completion of one trip, then doing a different route shortly after). 

Yes, that is what I meant.

With this week being so cold, I expect to see various issues with OC buses, especially accessibility issues like ramp & lowering the bus. Also I do believe(not sure on this) OC has policy about washing buses after certain temp if its to cold buses won't get washed. 

Step by Step: Designing and Building Accessible Bus Stops

Here's an interesting articular on bus shelters.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/accessibility/article/721873/step-by-step-designing-and-building-accessible-bus-stops?

I know the Transitway shelters are Mobility Accessible  and thev New LRT Stations will be.

But?

What about the on street  shelters? I know there somewhat wheelchair/walker accessible and depending on which version(seen at least 3 different styles of shelters)which is the best and can they be improved for better access?

Lets face it the shelter we have presently(on street) aren't the greatest. Depending which way the wind is blowing, it blows right into the shelter.The  ones with ads half the time there never lit up, the maps displays  are hard to read at night.

The old OC shelter(the ones that where White & Silver on a wooded or cement platform with the small entrance way where way better.Although they weren't  very Handi-cap accessible , but at least the wind wasn't a factor.

But is there any way of making them better?

(Street shelters)I'm not saying putting   doors or heating them, that would be cost prohibit, but something, like lighted shelters to make them safer, lighted map displays, make sure those with ads that there properly lit, etc.

Any thoughts? 

On 12/28/2017 at 10:15 AM, MCIBUS said:

Step by Step: Designing and Building Accessible Bus Stops

Here's an interesting articular on bus shelters.

http://www.metro-magazine.com/accessibility/article/721873/step-by-step-designing-and-building-accessible-bus-stops?

I know the Transitway shelters are Mobility Accessible  and thev New LRT Stations will be.

But?

What about the on street  shelters? I know there somewhat wheelchair/walker accessible and depending on which version(seen at least 3 different styles of shelters)which is the best and can they be improved for better access?

Lets face it the shelter we have presently(on street) aren't the greatest. Depending which way the wind is blowing, it blows right into the shelter.The  ones with ads half the time there never lit up, the maps displays  are hard to read at night.

The old OC shelter(the ones that where White & Silver on a wooded or cement platform with the small entrance way where way better.Although they weren't  very Handi-cap accessible , but at least the wind wasn't a factor.

But is there any way of making them better?

(Street shelters)I'm not saying putting   doors or heating them, that would be cost prohibit, but something, like lighted shelters to make them safer, lighted map displays, make sure those with ads that there properly lit, etc.

Any thoughts? 

OC Transpo's shelters are some of the most accessible in the province. Although there are a variety of different manufacturers and designs, they are almost all identical in size and accessible features. There are a few old shelters left, but they are all left for a specific reason that would make replacing them very difficult or prohibitively expensive.

Modern shelters are large, and allow a wheelchair to enter and turn around. This is why garbage cans have been removed from inside shelters. There is also usually a bench. The glass has a stripe for visibility. New standards for shelters include thicker glass stripes, mounted higher up, closer to eye level. The current shelter design, silver with a curved roof, has a transparent roof for better nighttime illumination. Not every shelter is connected to electricity for the advertisement panel to be lit up.

The next thing to consider is solar lighting, and I have heard some rumors they might try that sometime soon.