Canadian National

GOA transit news, info etc

2,815 posts in this topic

Well at least this time the station at Hurdman have doors on the shelters and assume are heated?

Question does anyone know why as you come in off Riverside/Terminal leading into Hurdman Station just off to the right wqhere the LRT goes towardsTrain Staion there's a bridge/overpass? Will buses eventually use that underpass?

I don't think anyone posted this but:

http://www.kitchissippiward.ca/content/proposed-changes-kitchissippi-oc-transpo-routes

kwardroutemap.jpeg?itok=Hj8ZiC-T

No surprise to anyone, in roughly mid-2018 the Confederation Line light rail will begin running between Tunney’s Pasture and Blair Station. This will be the beginning of a profound transformation in how residents of Ottawa move around the City, and there will be multiple changes to how public transit offered by OC Transpo will work.

If you click the route map attached to this post, you’ll see a bigger version. To some degree, it will look familiar (with some changes to route numbers and tweaks to some routes). But, there are some key changes that represent a new approach to transit. With the LRT operational, I’d characterize transit planner’s new priority as moving people from their neighbourhood to the nearest LRT station.

One of the key shifts is that many journeys will now require passengers to transfer to the LRT or another bus. I’m comfortable with this. Even with a transfer, most journeys will be quicker by incorporating rail into them. The stations have been thoughtfully designed, and key transfer points will have fare-paid zones that obviate the need for proof-of-payment. At most times of the day, the train will arrive around every 5 minutes, and its trip won’t be subject to the delays we currently experience trying to shove too many buses through the core. Bus trips will also be more reliable for the same reason.

Some of the key changes in our ward that I believe need to be highlighted are:

• The current 14 will now arrive at Gladstone/Parkdale, turn north, and terminate at Tunney’s. Those who wish to go to Carlington will now take a new route 53 that also terminates at Tunney’s. That does have implications for residents particularly in the Civic Hospital neighbourhood. I recognize that there are some trips generated in Civic that are currently a single route straight downtown. And, there are some trips that will go to destinations along Gladstone. Going straight to Gladstone/Bank is a quicker way to get to the Glebe than catching a 1 or 7 further north. Staff are getting back to me with those numbers.
  • The 11 (former 2) will now leave the corridor to serve Tunney’s instead of Westboro.
  • The 16, after serving Champlain Park/Westboro Beach, will now terminate at Westboro. The 50 and 51 will now serve Westboro and McKellar Park.
  • While the detour on Scott Street of Transitway buses will end, some Rapid route 75, 61 and 63 trips will continue to use Scott during weekday peak to avoid to serve Gatineau without requiring two successive quick transfers.

Both Councillor Brockington and I are engaged in discussions with OC about these changes, taking into account feedback we’ve already heard. If you have a concern, please let me know.

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Question does anyone know why as you come in off Riverside/Terminal leading into Hurdman Station just off to the right wqhere the LRT goes towardsTrain Staion there's a bridge/overpass? Will buses eventually use that underpass?

For future Alta Vista Parkway expansion towards Lees Ave

5 minutes ago, sdgta2008 said:

Really...?  Hasn't that project been deferred to around 2025...?  I'm surprised they've built an overpass so soon.

54 minutes ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

I don't think anyone posted this but:

http://www.kitchissippiward.ca/content/proposed-changes-kitchissippi-oc-transpo-routes

For future Alta Vista Parkway expansion towards Lees Ave

i highly doubt that bridge is for the parkway as there's no viable way to link the Nicholas off ramp to it!
from a CBC story
"The parkway would start at the Nicholas Street exit of the Queensway and run south to Conroy and Walkley roads."
The proposed extension would run south through the park to the hospital link overpass at Lycee Claudel 

Map for reference

3.thumb.JPG.3e07a0eb10730d8851b4b87508f01267.JPG

11 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Well at least this time the station at Hurdman have doors on the shelters and assume are heated?

It's a planned extension of Industrial Avenue. See page 58.

6 hours ago, sdgta2008 said:

Really...?  Hasn't that project been deferred to around 2025...?  I'm surprised they've built an overpass so soon.

It's currently used as a construction access, and appears to be vital in not having construction traffic interfere with the general flow of public transit too much.

6 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

i highly doubt that bridge is for the parkway as there's no viable way to link the Nicholas off ramp to it!
from a CBC story
"The parkway would start at the Nicholas Street exit of the Queensway and run south to Conroy and Walkley roads."
The proposed extension would run south through the park to the hospital link overpass at Lycee Claudel 

Map for reference

3.thumb.JPG.3e07a0eb10730d8851b4b87508f01267.JPG

See page 58.

On 2017-06-25 at 3:54 PM, CyrusKafaiWu said:

New hurdman is open, nice shelters, but no shelter at platform D (sorry, rte 9 users)

As of 19:40, the remaining two shelters were being installed at Hurdman D.

Looks like Carleton students will be getting a new heated shelter this fall ! 

IMG_4294.thumb.JPG.321757031ea4e1b77004d22d7014c3d1.JPG

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Looks like Carleton students will be getting a new heated shelter this fall ! 

IMG_4294.thumb.JPG.321757031ea4e1b77004d22d7014c3d1.JPG

Shelter is maintained by Carleton university!!

15 minutes ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

Shelter is maintained by Carleton university!!

Maybe this one will be bigger and have doors this time.

2 hours ago, andreasv said:

Maybe this one will be bigger and have doors this time.

I'm confused though, because the shelter in that picture is the same one that was there before, but on new concrete. A few weeks ago, it was moved back off the concrete temporarily. Maybe they are reinstalling it temporarily and will put in a new shelter this fall?

Here is a photo of the Western Transitway Extension (Bayshore to Moodie):

I don't think it will be used much by buses for very long. With Stage 2 adding Moodie, they will be converting this section over and buses will be using highway 417 that is currently being employed. 

They completely destroyed the present Transitway/Holly Acres intersection for this work. The Transitway entrance/exit is now nowhere near wide enough for two lanes of buses. I've seen at least three near-accidents and several buses crushing the traffic pilons protecting some kind of cut they've made in the roadway for no obvious reason.

1 hour ago, HB_1024 said:

They completely destroyed the present Transitway/Holly Acres intersection for this work. The Transitway entrance/exit is now nowhere near wide enough for two lanes of buses. I've seen at least three near-accidents and several buses crushing the traffic pilons protecting some kind of cut they've made in the roadway for no obvious reason.

It's to prepare for realignment slightly to the north so it lines up with the new Transitway.

Can someone answer me as to why the STO and other Quebec transit agencies IE the ones in Montreal have that same paint scheme on the rear of the buses that goes over the rear side windows(left & right)?

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Can someone answer me as to why the STO and other Quebec transit agencies IE the ones in Montreal have that same paint scheme on the rear of the buses that goes over the rear side windows(left & right)?

A design trend that transit agencies in Quebec like, perhaps?