GOA transit news, info etc

Well it looks like the status quo will continue unfortunately. Prepare for cuts within cuts in coming years. 800m off peak and 400m peak coverage is here to stay. Supposedly they will consult with "experts" and bus drivers, but given Mark will add zero (yes, ZERO) dollars to the the operation budget, any service improvements we will see in local service will be at the expense of other existing services, whether peak or some other catch.

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Compared to McKenney, who wanted to freeze fares, free transit to those under 17, $250 million on bike paths, while roads are getting worst. She would ruined the city.

I know the results are what they are. But this is just completely false narrative. The 250M was an accelerated plan instead of a set amount yearly, it would simply finish projects earlier. 

transit being free for under 17 isn’t even much of a stretch considering students and low income already have heavily subsidized fares and the 20% they had suggested directed for transit would of brought OC close to pre 2011 cuts. 

for advocates for transit im surprised anyone would neglect to look at the bigger picture and instead vote for sutcliffe who has said he thinks buses are running empty. When is the last empty bus you’ve seen, especially downtown? My only hope is he lets people with knowledge direct OC in a better direction and not interject constantly like Watson. 

Enjoy your 4.00 cash fares and 3.90 presto July 1. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Compared to McKenney, who wanted to freeze fares, free transit to those under 17, $250 million on bike paths, while roads are getting worst. She would ruined the city.

Let me get this straight, the massive cost of *Stroad* infrastructure is costing the city so much money that they can't keep up with maintaining them, but we they should just throw more money at the problem instead of actually getting people out of their car and into a bus which overtime reduces wear on our roads? I really think the suburban areas missed the real big picture. Also Mark says he doesn't want to pit one against another but when he says we need to invest in car infrastructure while he calls OC Transpo a deficit that needs to be reckoned with, you can just tell we got ourselves another Larry O'Brien - business man who thinks a bus service is a business and not a *service* and that it's something you just kill off slowly instead of investing into it to get people aboard. Let's recap, we've had 4 major transit cuts in 10 years; 2011, 2015, 2019 and 2021. Mark is also proposing another "optimization" with whatever Peak service is remaining. It's not much to begin with. Maybe an extra 20-30 buses during rush hour if they cancel most 200s. I don't think it would be enough money to actually improve services to where they need to be. All and all, was really looking forward for someone to be elected who'd actually *invest* in transit and not cut it for a 5th time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

I know the results are what they are. But this is just completely false narrative. The 250M was an accelerated plan instead of a set amount yearly, it would simply finish projects earlier. 

transit being free for under 17 isn’t even much of a stretch considering students and low income already have heavily subsidized fares and the 20% they had suggested directed for transit would of brought OC close to pre 2011 cuts. 

for advocates for transit im surprised anyone would neglect to look at the bigger picture and instead vote for sutcliffe who has said he thinks buses are running empty. When is the last empty bus you’ve seen, especially downtown? My only hope is he lets people with knowledge direct OC in a better direction and not interject constantly like Watson. 

Enjoy your 4.00 cash fares and 3.90 presto July 1. 

More like 7.50 Cash and 7.00 Presto because Inflation

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

Let me get this straight, the massive cost of *Stroad* infrastructure is costing the city so much money that they can't keep up with maintaining them, but we they should just throw more money at the problem instead of actually getting people out of their car and into a bus which overtime reduces wear on our roads? I really think the suburban areas missed the real big picture. Also Mark says he doesn't want to pit one against another but when he says we need to invest in car infrastructure while he calls OC Transpo a deficit that needs to be reckoned with, you can just tell we got ourselves another Larry O'Brien - business man who thinks a bus service is a business and not a *service* and that it's something you just kill off slowly instead of investing into it to get people aboard. Let's recap, we've had 4 major transit cuts in 10 years; 2011, 2015, 2019 and 2021. Mark is also proposing another "optimization" with whatever Peak service is remaining. It's not much to begin with. Maybe an extra 20-30 buses during rush hour if they cancel most 200s. I don't think it would be enough money to actually improve services to where they need to be. All and all, was really looking forward for someone to be elected who'd actually *invest* in transit and not cut it for a 5th time.

I'm pretty sure the 200s were bound to be cancelled no matter who won, however all those busses will just be plopped onto the 74 and 75 as horribly predictable as that is, also say goodbye to the U-Pass!

Some news:

Ridership has returned to 63% of pre pandemic levels this September. Ridership to the core is still low (no crap...) however youth passes including passes sold to school boards have reached 117% of pre pandemic levels. U-Pass holders are at about 95% of pre pandemic, however only 85% consistently use them. OC Transpo has also recently graduated 10 new drivers into the company and will now be full-time bus drivers. OC Transpo expects to hire 290 more bus drivers to honour their commitment for better reliability.

The only reason school(high school, Colleges & University)pass are up is because of in-school learning as compared to on-line schooling has dropped off. I see it every time I get on the LRT head home, the train gets packed at UOttawa. I can't comment on Carleton U but Ottawa U most definitely has seen a increase in in school learning.

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

The only reason school(high school, Colleges & University)pass are up is because of in-school learning as compared to on-line schooling has dropped off. I see it every time I get on the LRT head home, the train gets packed at UOttawa. I can't comment on Carleton U but Ottawa U most definitely has seen a increase in in school learning.

Buses to Algonquin and Carleton are filled as well, the 88's Overcrowded as hell and the 75 isn't faring much better.

6 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I remember my time in college and no one would do online learning. Instead they wanted in-person learning if it is available.

3 hours ago, Dexter249 said:

Buses to Algonquin and Carleton are filled as well, the 88's Overcrowded as hell and the 75 isn't faring much better.

I remember when I had to take the 88 (back then, it was 118) and how overcrowded it can be sometimes having to wait for the next departure if it shows up. Sometimes you will see two or three back to back considering the length of the route. 

Route 75 being another critical route for those coming from downtown. Back during the 95 days, it would run a combined frequency of every 5 minutes or less with articulated buses and proof of payment fares.

Combined branches is 95 Baseline and 95 Barrhaven Centre on weekdays during the daytime. This was between Place D'Orleans and Baseline. 

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Back during the 95 days, it would run a combined frequency of every 5 minutes or less with articulated buses and proof of payment fares.

Combined branches is 95 Baseline and 95 Barrhaven Centre on weekdays during the daytime. This was between Place D'Orleans and Baseline. 

This pre 2015? 95 Baseline/PDO trips during the day were replaced by the 91 in 2015. Not to mention the Cambrian extension in 2017.

Back in the glory days of OC transpo it was rare to see anything but articulated buses on the 95, this was due to lack of interlining and it was much easier to maintain proper bus types on proper routes. We need to get back to this as it’s clear we cannot manage properly. Far too often do I see 75s running 40ft at night with people smashed up against the window, or DD 88s finishing 10-15 late because of the dwell times and just overall slower buses. 

if OC isn’t going to get extra funding with sutcliffe (and we don’t know yet so maybe we’ll be surprised) then we certainly need to restructure and take a look at the day to day operations. Any route that’s “frequent” (I say that term loosely) needs a 60ft, with life essentially back to normal minus feds our ridership is suffering and even being left behind. 

33 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Back in the glory days of OC transpo it was rare to see anything but articulated buses on the 95, this was due to lack of interlining and it was much easier to maintain proper bus types on proper routes. We need to get back to this as it’s clear we cannot manage properly. Far too often do I see 75s running 40ft at night with people smashed up against the window, or DD 88s finishing 10-15 late because of the dwell times and just overall slower buses. 

if OC isn’t going to get extra funding with sutcliffe (and we don’t know yet so maybe we’ll be surprised) then we certainly need to restructure and take a look at the day to day operations. Any route that’s “frequent” (I say that term loosely) needs a 60ft, with life essentially back to normal minus feds our ridership is suffering and even being left behind. 

Personally, I'd order XE60s and replace the D40is with XE60s, as well as allow the DDs to operate on routes that don't have the need for a 60ft (the busiest local routes, for example, such as the 173)

1 hour ago, Dexter249 said:

Personally, I'd order XE60s and replace the D40is with XE60s, as well as allow the DDs to operate on routes that don't have the need for a 60ft (the busiest local routes, for example, such as the 173)

Regardless future buses will be electric so that’s not even a question about model type. once line 1 is fully operational we won’t need 300+ artics, it’ll be nice but not needed. As for DD on any run except a connection or potentially new express in the future it’s a waste of time. Each DD takes on average 20 seconds a stop due to stairs and slow doors. It’s not what local routes need. 

im currently looking at a DD offload at hurdman, it took the operator 1.5 minutes to unload. Talk about efficient. 

35 minutes ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Regardless future buses will be electric so that’s not even a question about model type. once line 1 is fully operational we won’t need 300+ artics, it’ll be nice but not needed. As for DD on any run except a connection or potentially new express in the future it’s a waste of time. Each DD takes on average 20 seconds a stop due to stairs and slow doors. It’s not what local routes need. 

im currently looking at a DD offload at hurdman, it took the operator 1.5 minutes to unload. Talk about efficient. 

In my opinion, I believe the best time to deploy DDs on routes would be when the frequencies are low on very busy routes (i.e. frequent and rapid). For example, during the midday when busy routes are running every 15 minutes. A DD would very efficiently fulfill the capacity as a result of waiting that long on a busy route. However, during time points where frequencies are at 10 minutes or lower, I certainly agree that articulated buses are the way to go in order to move passengers efficiently. DDs do have good use, but they can of course, be improved with its implementation of service

3 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Far too often do I see 75s running 40ft at night with people smashed up against the window

This is also the case for the 88 during rush hour, and at night. And in my honest opinion, I think the 88 is currently the busiest route on the network, and requires several improvements (i.e. restoring proper frequencies at rush hour)

31 minutes ago, TransitGeek said:

In my opinion, I believe the best time to deploy DDs on routes would be when the frequencies are low on very busy routes (i.e. frequent and rapid). For example, during the midday when busy routes are running every 15 minutes. A DD would very efficiently fulfill the capacity as a result of waiting that long on a busy route. However, during time points where frequencies are at 10 minutes or lower, I certainly agree that articulated buses are the way to go in order to move passengers efficiently. DDs do have good use, but they can of course, be improved with its implementation of service

This is also the case for the 88 during rush hour, and at night. And in my honest opinion, I think the 88 is currently the busiest route on the network, and requires several improvements (i.e. restoring proper frequencies at rush hour)

Double deckers really are better suited to special event routes (400 and 450 series) which you only have people boarding at limited stops and getting off at the venue. Since they are more designed for seating capacity and long haul routes versus routes with frequent or station stops. 

There are plans to build a bus rapidway along Baseline between Heron and Algonquin College to better address corridor demand. The environmental assessments have been done. Current status is the project is unfunded and no new information right now.

You could run 5 minute frequency on the 88, but those buses would still be tied up in traffic. With three back to back buses since they are operating in mixed traffic. 

2 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Good for trips to there, not so much on return trips, especially those that are intoxicated. I see that's too much of a liability for OC.

And you’re exactly right, they are changed off for return trips for 60ft buses. In reality the DDs were purchased for express routes and have slowly ended up throughout the network. Over the years they will dwindle out and we won’t have nearly what we have now. DD are great in theory and on paper, in service where every second counts though is a different story. Even on local routes they’re terrible because local routes simply are not the casual driving around they used to be. If you ever take a 170/171 or 161/168 you’ll see they don’t have time to cruise and wait for upper deck passengers

anyway,  I’ve derailed this thread enough with my love of the double decker, movin on!

• 3 weeks later...

New initiative this Winter should there be a snow storm with 31 cm or more on a weekday: OC Transpo to operate a modified Saturday schedule (regular Saturday service, lus some weekday routes that would not normally operate on a Saturday schedule

News article from CTV Ottawa: https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo-to-pull-most-articulated-buses-from-service-when-more-than-31-cm-of-snow-is-in-the-forecast-1.6167541

----

I can confirm that there will be double deckers buses on select trips on Routes 12 and 15, in addition to the usual route that normally get double deckers on a regular basis. Furthermore, there are 25 Extras (109s) that will be getting double decker buses. 

• Thanks 1

OC Transpo have announced their winter service changes, effective 25 December:

https://www.octranspo.com/en/plan-your-trip/service-changes

Aside from the Severe Weather Schedule @JCL mentioned, not much is being changed aside from a short rerouting of route 62 in Stittsville.  Most of the changes are schedule adjustments.

Good to see OC Transpo making giant improvements and major steps towards refining their once glorious transit system. Hopefully they don't have to cancel a few more routes in the future to compensate...

4 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

OC Transpo have announced their winter service changes, effective 25 December:

https://www.octranspo.com/en/plan-your-trip/service-changes

Aside from the Severe Weather Schedule @JCL mentioned, not much is being changed aside from a short rerouting of route 62 in Stittsville.  Most of the changes are schedule adjustments.