GOA transit news, info etc

23 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

Timetable pamphlets are printed by a third party, as are most handouts, brochures, etc. I'm guessing the decision not to print things had more to do with uncertainty than work restrictions, though not having to stock and manage them likely had a role in it too.

So, I would imagine that there are no updated system maps as well?  The most recent one I have is from October 2019.

1 hour ago, tomsbuspage said:

So, I would imagine that there are no updated system maps as well?  The most recent one I have is from October 2019.

I don't know if they are changing shelter maps this year - there haven't been many significant changes since October 2019. The biggest ones are the closure of the Trillium Line and replacement with bus service, and the new road at Carleton U. Both are included on the latest map online, dated August 30th, 2020.

• Thanks 1

I can't comment on the maps, but as for the Pocket Schedules/Maps, I honestly don't see any being printed till the Covide-19 is well under control.

In most case with access to computers you can check schedules And in most case OC Transpo bus cell phone/tablets  apps(from various sources) most either have the actual schedule at your stop(in most case, but not all)have the GPS as well, as a route map on the app.

Yes it would be nice to have the "Full route Schedules Bundle" for those that collect them like myself, but hey if there not available there not available, there's not much u can do.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, Flalex72 said:

Timetable pamphlets are printed by a third party, as are most handouts, brochures, etc. I'm guessing the decision not to print things had more to do with uncertainty than work restrictions, though not having to stock and manage them likely had a role in it too.

Yeah you're right, I see it under the contracts awarded section that they disclose to council every once in a while (I specifically see it at the May 15, 2019 meeting)

But third party timetables are likely subject to the same social distancing regulations anyway, and I feel like both OC and the contractor probably mutually agreed that timetables are unessential material at this point of time, as if they are social distancing in the print shop, they are likely only printing urgent material only (due to lack of staff)

UPDATE: Also after looking at who won the contract, and checking out their site, the contractor has shifted their priority to making medical masks and such (and less on printing materials for businesses) so they might have even dropped OC as a customer. As they proudly proclaim on their website that on the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, they bought 3 mask making machines, and rejigged their warehouse to accommodate their new venture. (Plus mask making is probably a profitable venture at this point in time)

So I feel it's safe to assume that OC has nobody right now to print the timetables. So unfortunately 2020 may just be a gap in everyone's collection. Luckily, like I said earlier, there has basically been no changes to require new material (unless we start seeing some cuts).

• Thanks 1

I'm against this pointless name changes. Why can't the NSAS just say "Carling Station,  Dow's Lake. Station Carling, Lac Dow's", similar to what they did with Campus Station?

More people use it for transfers to Carling/Preston than Dow's Lake at any given time of the year, and chances are, tourists would rather visit the Rideau Canal than Dow's Lake. Could just be me, but there was little to no reason to change the names of LeBreton, Campus, Confederation Stations

5 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

I'm against this pointless name changes. Why can't the NSAS just say "Carling Station,  Dow's Lake. Station Carling, Lac Dow's", similar to what they did with Campus Station?

More people use it for transfers to Carling/Preston than Dow's Lake at any given time of the year, and chances are, tourists would rather visit the Rideau Canal than Dow's Lake. Could just be me, but there was little to no reason to change the names of LeBreton, Campus, Confederation Stations

"Carling Station, Dow's Lake" is difficult to fit on a map, not great for messaging, and all around more complicated. Lincoln Fields isn't called "Carling Station", but it is on Carling.

Anyway, this is pretty tame compared to the "Corso Italia" proposal for Gladstone, though Gladstone doesn't really have an existing name.

25 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Responding to your comments:

• The name change from Campus Station to uOttawa Station is because it right University of Ottawa. I have no issue with the name change.
  • The name change from Confederation Station (on the Trillium Line) to Mooney's Bay Station is because of the word "Confederation", it might confuse customers with "Confederation Line" for LRT Line 1. There was a need to rename the station, however coming up with a new station name was tricky -- they did not want to rename it to Heron Station because it was not within walking distance to Heron Station (Transitway), that's probably why they chose Mooney's Bay Station even though it is not right at Mooney's Bay
  • The name change from Lebreton Station to Pimisi Station has to do with trying to recognize the Algonquin Heritage. I do prefer that they had stuck with Lebreton Station.

You forgot about the station name change from Train Station to Tremblay Station -- I do recall a few transit advocates going to the Transit Commission meeting opposing the name change from Train Station to Tremblay Station and instead proposed the station name change to "VIA Rail Station". 

• Like 1

Thanks JCL. I knew they renamed Train but I personally was more in favor of it in the sense that there'd be a certain irony in keeping that name. An OC train,  serving train station, to board a VIA Train, so I did omit that. Though I didn't know the history too well with Pimisi and Mooney's Bay, so thank you for informing me.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:58 PM, Loud-Invero said:

Here's a first (I believe). OC Transpo won't be charging bus fare to anyone on November 11th. Veterans in uniform can ride for free from November 5th - November 11th. https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/status/1322280003757875201?s=20

Transit was free on November 11th last year as well. It was spun as being a makeup for the lack of any free days to ride the LRT when it opened.

• Thanks 1

The details of the budget for OC Transpo next year have been posted.

• 2.5 percent fare increase
  • No service reductions yet
  • Different scenarios planned including working on what reductions will occur to save $23 to $31 million dollars

Regarding service reductions, a list will be provided by Spring. Noting that the previous reductions were eliminating the first/last departures of select routes to save half a million dollars taking effect back in April 2016. With less than 10 passengers on those trips getting the axe being a total of 63 runs eliminated. 

Transit commission is set to vote on November 18th.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo-budget-includes-2-5-per-cent-fare-hike-in-2020-no-service-cuts-to-trim-costs-1.5174835

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The details of the budget for OC Transpo next year have been posted.

• 2.5 percent fare increase
  • No service reductions yet
  • Different scenarios planned including working on what reductions will occur to save $23 to $31 million dollars

Regarding service reductions, a list will be provided by Spring. Noting that the previous reductions were eliminating the first/last departures of select routes to save half a million dollars taking effect back in April 2016. With less than 10 passengers on those trips getting the axe being a total of 63 runs eliminated. 

Transit commission is set to vote on November 18th.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/oc-transpo-budget-includes-2-5-per-cent-fare-hike-in-2020-no-service-cuts-to-trim-costs-1.5174835

I've attached the 2021 Transit Budget that was published on the Transit Commission agenda after the reports were tabled.  

2021 Transit Budget.PDF

Keep in mind that there may be other transit related items that approved at other Committees and by the Transit Commission. For example, at the Transportation Committee, there is a budget request to build the Baseline-Heron BRT corridor (provided that the upper level government also provide funding). 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JCL said:

I've attached the 2021 Transit Budget that was published on the Transit Commission agenda after the reports were tabled.  

2021 Transit Budget.PDF 3.26 MB · 5 downloads

Keep in mind that there may be other transit related items that approved at other Committees and by the Transit Commission. For example, at the Transportation Committee, there is a budget request to build the Baseline-Heron BRT corridor (provided that the upper level government also provide funding). 

Further to my previous post above, I'm attaching the transit-related budget request that is to be dealt with by the Transportation Committee.

2021 Transportation Committee Budget.PDF

Items of Interest:

• PDF Pg 66, 907436 Baseline Rd BRT (Baseline Stn-Heron Stn)
  • PDF Pg 67, 910181 2021 TMP Transit Priority Network
  • Thanks 1

Great news!

STO has begun installing the new Conduent VPE-430 validators on buses! The existing validators will be moved to the back doors but will be out of order until COVID-19 measures are lifted in order to respect the "Board front, exit rear" rule...

More info here (in french) http://www.sto.ca/index.php?id=81

New validator installation tracking is here: 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 6:08 PM, Mark Walton said:

For several years, in fact. I forget when it started.

2018 was not free except for vets. The general public still had to pay.

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/remembrance-day-2018-open-closed-1.4895781

Transit

• War veterans who wear their medals or uniforms may ride OC Transpo, Para Transpo and Société de transport de l'Outaouais (STO) for free during National Veterans' Week, from Nov. 5 to 11.
  • OC Transpo will operate on a Sunday schedule on Sunday, Nov. 11 and on a regular weekday schedule on Monday, Nov. 12. Buses will pull over on the side of the road when it is safe to do so to observe two minutes of silence at 11 a.m. on Nov. 11. 
  • The OC Transpo customer service centre at the Rideau Centre will be open from 12:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Nov. 11. Other customer service centres will be closed. 
  • STO will operate a Sunday schedule on Sunday, Nov. 11, and a special schedule on Monday, Nov. 12. 

It likely would have been mentioned in this press release, had it been free for the general public. Only mention is the free service for vets, which is how I remember it being prior to 2019.

Also from 2019: https://www.ottawamatters.com/local-news/city-of-ottawa-to-offer-free-transit-on-remembrance-day-1738116

City of Ottawa to offer free transit on Remembrance Day

Mayor Jim Watson says he had been looking for a good day to be able to encourage residents to try light rail at no cost.

Ottawans will have a chance to try the city's new light rail Confederation Line for free this Remembrance Day. 

On Twitter Tuesday, Mayor Jim Watson said he and Transit Commission Chair Allan Hubley had been looking for "a low-impact, low-cost day for no-charge transit, so residents can come out and try LRT."

The mayor hopes that by providing free service on November 11, it will encourage participation in Remembrance Day ceremonies across the city.

Watson credited River ward City Councillor Riley Brockington and the ByWard Market BIA for the suggestion.

"This will not have a big impact on revenue or the system, as we will have a lot of capacity on our trains. It will also be a great show of support to our veterans," said the mayor.

This article basically mentioned the intent of the free fare on remembrance day, which was supposed to be a day to test out the LRT (which was in fact suggested by River Ward Councillor Riley Brockington at the Transit Commission on many occasions prior to November 11, 2019)

Therefore, it was introduced as a way to allow people to test out the LRT, but it appears to have continued as a free service day.

I spotted one of the new supervisor vehicles this morning. The Ford Police Interceptor Utilities (Explorers) are being replaced with Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cabs with white caps on the bed. Like the PIUs, they have push bars on the front, and now have a nice looking red and white conspicuity marking on the tailgate.

Edited by Flalex72

On 11/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, Flalex72 said:

I spotted one of the new supervisor vehicles this morning. The Ford Police Interceptor Utilities (Explorers) are being replaced with Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cabs with white caps on the bed. Like the PIUs, they have push bars on the front, and now have a nice looking red and white conspicuity marking on the tailgate.

I've seen one like that before that said "Superintendent" on the side where it would usually say Supervisor.

Edited by Flalex72