GOA transit news, info etc

Service disruption expected tomorrow due to ongoing issue with Line 1 Confederation Line..

Highlights:

What is important is that Citizen Transit Commissioner and City Councillor received communication from OC Transpo Staff earlier tonight indicating that 50 morning bus trips/75 afternoon bus trips will be cancelled in order to run special parallel service. Unfortunately, no official information has been posted on OC Transpo's web site as I write this, but refer to the following tweets from Citizen Transit Commissioner Sarah Wright-Gilbert that I'm about to embed:

7 hours ago, JCL said:

Service disruption expected tomorrow due to ongoing issue with Line 1 Confederation Line..

Highlights:

What is important is that Citizen Transit Commissioner and City Councillor received communication from OC Transpo Staff earlier tonight indicating that 50 morning bus trips/75 afternoon bus trips will be cancelled in order to run special parallel service. Unfortunately, no official information has been posted on OC Transpo's web site as I write this, but refer to the following tweets from Citizen Transit Commissioner Sarah Wright-Gilbert that I'm about to embed:

The cancellations are now on the website, included in the cancellations of "high frequency" (OC's words not mine) services are peak hour runs on routes 5 and 9, I suppose no service on hese routes for a minimum of 40 in peak hours is perfectly acceptable to OC's inept management.

It is noticeable that the OC Social media cheerleaders have gone very quiet recently.

Time for an independent review on the workings of OC Transpo as an organisation, this cant go on much longer.

Behind the Scenes : Transit Operations Control Centre (TOCC)

O-Train Fans goes Behind the Scenes at OC Transpo's Transit Operations Control Centre (TOCC). The TOCC is the multi-modal nerve centre of OC Transpo's entire operations, which include rail (O-Train), bus, para and security (Special Constables).

https://www.otrainfans.ca/confederation/behind-the-scenes-transit-operations-control-centre-tocc

• Like 1

Cancellations, cancellations, and... more cancellations. Day 9 of S1/R1 service in effect. https://web.archive.org/web/20200130121806/https://www.octranspo.com/en/alerts

Looks like they're changing what Routes are cancelled, but some runs like the 8 AM Route 9 run from Hurdman is cancelled which may leave a much more packed bus for Foreign Affairs employees.

Oh boy...

Image - Weekday supplemental bus service to resume on February 3

ServicesnewsLine 1news

Weekday supplemental bus service to resume on February 3

Until further notice, weekday supplemental bus service will continue to run between Tunney’s Pasture, Hurdman, and Blair stations and the downtown core starting February 3. There is no requirement for S1 supplemental bus service over the weekend.

Supplemental service will run during morning and afternoon peak.

Looks like the daily trip cancellations will continue unless somehow the 20 R1 novas will meet the demand, which it won't...

55 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Oh boy...

Image - Weekday supplemental bus service to resume on February 3

ServicesnewsLine 1news

Weekday supplemental bus service to resume on February 3

Until further notice, weekday supplemental bus service will continue to run between Tunney’s Pasture, Hurdman, and Blair stations and the downtown core starting February 3. There is no requirement for S1 supplemental bus service over the weekend.

Supplemental service will run during morning and afternoon peak.

Looks like the daily trip cancellations will continue unless somehow the 20 R1 novas will meet the demand, which it won't...

Responding to what you wrote (highlighted in red):

I guess it depends on how many trains RTG/RTM are able to make service. If they can get can put 11 or 12 double trains to maintain an approximate 5 or so minute frequency, then the 20 R1 Nova LFS's might be sufficient do S1. Although there will likely passengers who never liked riding the LRT (Line 1) since Day 1 will continue use S1 until they can't.

If RTG/RTM continues to put out only 8 or 9 double trains (or less), then I can see them continuing to cancel trips from other runs to cover S1. 

16 hours ago, JCL said:

Responding to what you wrote (highlighted in red):

I guess it depends on how many trains RTG/RTM are able to make service. If they can get can put 11 or 12 double trains to maintain an approximate 5 or so minute frequency, then the 20 R1 Nova LFS's might be sufficient do S1. Although there will likely passengers who never liked riding the LRT (Line 1) since Day 1 will continue use S1 until they can't.

If RTG/RTM continues to put out only 8 or 9 double trains (or less), then I can see them continuing to cancel trips from other runs to cover S1. 

Seems they are still missing trains. 40 AM  and 75 PM trips cancelled... https://www.octranspo.com/en/alerts#alerts-23616

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Seems they are still missing trains. 40 AM  and 75 PM trips cancelled... https://www.octranspo.com/en/alerts#alerts-23616

They say that those buses "may be reassigned". I would assume the real number of cancellations varies from day to day.

I've personally taken trips even when they were published on the list.

https://www.octranspo.com/en/alerts#alerts-24490

O-Train Line 1 - February 5

Routes: 1 O-Train

Date effective: February 04, 2020

O-Train Line 1 schedules have returned to normal during peak periods. Line 1 will be the most efficient way to travel to and from downtown. We do not expect to cancel any regular bus trips to support S1 service.

Now that RTG is delivering enough trains to accommodate customer volumes on O-Train Line 1, the buses that were providing additional capacity on the S1 service can be returned to their regular routes.  This will increase the reliability of bus routes across the city.

Starting Wednesday, S1 service will be operating less frequently from Tunney’s Pasture, Hurdman, and Blair Stations to downtown in the morning and from downtown to those stations in the afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Weekday supplemental bus service to resume on Monday, Feb. 17

From Monday to Friday (including Family Day) until further notice, S1 service will be operating from Tunney’s Pasture, Hurdman, and Blair Stations to downtown in the morning and from downtown to those stations in the afternoon. We do not expect to cancel any regular bus trips to support S1 service. Line 1 continues to be the fastest way to travel to and from downtown.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

STO BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING HIGHLIGHTS - Feb. 27th 2020

The STO will be running buses from the Gatineau garage on weekends for spring booking (starting march 30th) for a 12 month period! This means that weekend service will be operated mostly by hybrids (as the may send the 14XX buses out - they are diesel).

The opening of Gatineau garage will mean that renovations can be done at Hull garage.

In other news, the STO confirms that 26 of the 43 2020 hybrid buses are now on the road with the rest expected to be put into service in the summer.

Lastly, I can confirm that 9225 is retired. It was sitting on “death row” and administrative staff confirmed the retirement, marking an end to the Classic era at the STO.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With agencies in Toronto, Montreal, and Kingston stepping up their cleaning efforts in response to COVID-19 fears, the president of ATU 279 is calling for Ottawa to do the same. However, the union is blaming staff shortages at OC Transpo for the lack of response.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/union-says-oc-transpo-buses-not-cleaned-disinfected-daily-1.5491267

He adds that on a daily basis, mainly only garbage is removed from buses and the floors are swept. Wiping down hard surfaces inside the bus occurs less frequently.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mayor-says-oc-transpo-should-have-run-downtown-buses-for-longer-after-lrt-launch-1.4846324

Found this interesting piece from CTV this evening. The Mayor basically admits that the parallel bus service should have been run for another month or two after October 6, to provide commuters with a more gradual transition from bus to LRT, and to avoid a sudden onslaught of major train issues, like what we went through after October 6.

OC Transpo's website finally has a page on its response to the on-going COVID-19 situation:

https://www.octranspo.com/en/news/article/attention-octranspo-customers/

Quote: "OC Transpo is asking all transit customers to help slow the spread of COVID-19 in Ottawa. OC Transpo is committed to keeping its customers and staff safe."

The page makes 3 main points:

• 1) if you feel sick, please stay home (don't use transit if: you have a fever and/or new onset of cough or difficulty breathing; you have been in close contact with a confirmed or probable COVID-19 case);
  • 2) protect yourself while riding public transit (cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand; avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth; consider social distancing when possible (ideally 2 metres));
  • 3) wash your hands thoroughly or use hand sanitizer as soon as possible or when you reach your destination.

Worth Noting: Unlike the TTC, GO Transit/Metrolinx, and the STM, among others; there is nowhere on the page that outlines how OC Transpo is stepping up cleaning on buses, on trains, and at stations in response to COVID-19. These other agencies have outlined on their respective pages what they are specifically doing regarding cleaning on public transit.

40 minutes ago, OC Transpo Route 95 said:

Worth Noting: Unlike the TTC, GO Transit/Metrolinx, and the STM, among others; there is nowhere on the page that outlines how OC Transpo is stepping up cleaning on buses, on trains, and at stations in response to COVID-19. These other agencies have outlined on their respective pages what they are specifically doing regarding cleaning on public transit.

I believe Its mentioned in the above "willing to walk out" article that I posted. If not, I read that ATU 279 is not happy that OC isn't stepping up their game because they're short staffed and what not. It's pretty simple: they have no people to do it.

1 hour ago, Loud-Invero said:

I believe Its mentioned in the above "willing to walk out" article that I posted. If not, I read that ATU 279 is not happy that OC isn't stepping up their game because they're short staffed and what not. It's pretty simple: they have no people to do it.

Thank you for the reference. I also realized I posted an article on Tuesday in this forum regarding the lack of staff available to do cleaning on buses.

Edited by OC Transpo Route 95

Rear-door boarding: For the health and safety of our operators, and to keep our service running, customers are asked to board and exit using the back doors only.

• Customers with accessibility requirements can still board at the front;
  • Please do not approach operators;
  • We will not be accepting cash fares or paper transfers from customers boarding at the rear of the bus; and,
  • Due to the configuration of some of the buses in our fleet, some customers will not be able to tap their Presto cards when they board.

Also @OC Transpo Route 95, They've finally released their disinfection plans here for their fleet https://www.octranspo.com/en/about-us/oc-transpos-efforts-to-help-prevent-spread-of-covid-19

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Loud-Invero said:

Also @OC Transpo Route 95, They've finally released their disinfection plans here for their fleet https://www.octranspo.com/en/about-us/oc-transpos-efforts-to-help-prevent-spread-of-covid-19

Thank you @Loud-Invero

I read through the page. Very detailed information on what they are doing. Nice to see additional staff are being brought on to clean the trains.

4 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

Rear-door boarding: For the health and safety of our operators, and to keep our service running, customers are asked to board and exit using the back doors only.

• We will not be accepting cash fares or paper transfers from customers boarding at the rear of the bus; and,
  • Due to the configuration of some of the buses in our fleet, some customers will not be able to tap their Presto cards when they board.

Here is a visual here:

EDIT: Additional visual included on what the taped off configuration will look like. Noting that for articulated/double decker buses, it is from the closest rear door up to the nearest pole. 

In effect until further notice.

Edited by GTAmissions1
Tweet with visual inside for reference
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

From Sto’s FB page 

• Thanks 1