GOA transit news, info etc

4 hours ago, Loud-Invero said:

I feel like this happens once or twice every year. Drink your coffee or energy drinks people... 

why would drinking coffee or energy drinks, which actually aren’t good for you anyway, have avoided an accident here?

As far as I am aware CBC have no idea what caused this accident, be it it human or mechanical error, or simply an accident. 

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, Loud-Invero said:

Person killed at Bayshore station after somehow ending up under the wheels of a bus

I'm confused... I've read a couple articles, and some articles mention the stop at 50 Woodridge, and some mention the station itself... RIP to the victim. To be fair though, that station is really bad for pedestrian crossings and I've seen several close calls in the past few weeks.

29 minutes ago, bsnider001 said:

I'm confused... I've read a couple articles, and some articles mention the stop at 50 Woodridge, and some mention the station itself... RIP to the victim. To be fair though, that station is really bad for pedestrian crossings and I've seen several close calls in the past few weeks.

The station's civic address is 50 Woodridge Crescent. By the looks of the photo, it happened on the paved area to the right of the bus loop, right ahead of the eastbound 57/85 service stop. Pedestrians are not supposed to use that, and many use the roadway in the winter, when the sidewalk becomes inaccessible due to ice and snow. It's possible the pedestrian in this collision slipped off an ice/snow bank and under the bus between the two wheels. Similar incidents have happened throughout the city in the winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Special R1 buses will be operating tomorrow. during the rush hour until the RTG is able to provide 13 double trains. Today, they were short 3 double trains during rush hour (only operating 10 double trians).

A screenshot of a memo from General Manager John Manconi to City Councillors that the media was copied on (posted by Graham Richardson):

59 minutes ago, JCL said:

Special R1 buses will be operating tomorrow. during the rush hour until the RTG is able to provide 13 double trains. Today, they were short 3 double trains during rush hour (only operating 10 double trians).

A screenshot of a memo from General Manager John Manconi to City Councillors that the media was copied on (posted by Graham Richardson):

How many spare trains are there? 13 are required for service but how many are available in total?

1 hour ago, andreasv said:

Two trainsets of which the CBC reports are not sufficiently tested yet to even be used on the line. 

CBC says that, but I was under the impression that every train has been in service on the line and is in regular service. They're testing additional trains for the expansions now.

49 minutes ago, Centralsmt said:

It’s an utter shambles, but still only excuses and no accountability from senior OC Management. They seem to be out of their depth on this.

I don’t know the full bio of everyone at the top of OC Transpo but I seem to remember that Manconi was in charge of City surface operations (plows etc) before this.

Now that OC Transpo is starting to have a system that resembles “big city transit”/“world class”, maybe its time to bring in someone who actually has experience running a system of this caliber.

Problem with the eastern switch out of the MSF late morning/early afternoon too (I passed through around 11:30 or so), the eastbound trains had to change tracks between Tremblay and St-Laurent. Minor impact to service with maybe a five minute wait tops, but still, these things add up. Not to mention all the eastbound platform signs say trains ending at St-Laurent which is false. ?

22 hours ago, JCL said:

This morning (around 8am or so), Transit Control repeatedly issued Code 50s "begging" operators who would normally have been finishing their last trips into Tunney's Pasture Station on a 200-series route from Kanata/Stittsville/Barrhaven to immediate continue beyond Tunney's Pasture as R1 to Downtown before deadheading to the garage. 

In the afternoons, service to Hurdman will be signed "SPECIAL HURDMAN"; to Tunney's Pasture it will be signed "SPECIAL TUNNEY'S PASTURE" (in all-caps rather than mixed case). Details on specifics were posted today: https://www.octranspo.com/en/alerts#alerts-23345

Once again, today, R1s were laying up at MacKenzie King Bridge. Below are pictures that I took:

R1_a.thumb.jpg.3db0848d5e53655a0465cb52ad071fe8.jpgR1_b.thumb.jpg.74193abfb20b14ba9ce57f831660c825.jpgR1_c.thumb.jpg.d5b737cf581fe7d2e4570f1e52b01060.jpg

• Thanks 2

Apparently the issue has to do with the fact that the train wheels have flat spots. 

How is it possible that so many trains have flatspots? Can't they machine the wheels to be smooth again in a few hours? 

Do they not have spare wheel sets available? 

Or is this just an example of poor resources management? 

Why not have the phase II cars tested so they can be used in service incase this type of issue comes up?

Or is that RTM is cash strapped because the city is not paying them, hence there trying to cheap out on maintenance. There owed millions by the city and I think RTG/RTM is pissed off that there not getting paid not to mention multi law suits against them from various sub contractors.

They would be paid if they where doing the job there being contracted to for-fill but are not.

If this was a private operation run by private investors RTG/RTM contract would of been terminated , but its government so they think they can get away with shoddy work ethics.

In all honesty I wonder how many people(not just from Ottawa)think this whole RTG LRT issue(or real joke/p ethic) has become?

Yes the LRT has issues but this is ridicules.

21 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Apparently the issue has to do with the fact that the train wheels have flat spots. 

How is it possible that so many trains have flatspots? Can't they machine the wheels to be smooth again in a few hours? 

Why not have the phase II cars tested so they can be used in service incase this type of issue comes up?

Supposedly, RTM hasn't been able to keep up with getting that maintenance done in time. Why? Who knows.

The Stage 2 trains are currently being tested, but as I'm sure anyone would tell you: that can't be rushed. Once they're fully tested, they'll be brought into service.

12 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

If this was a private operation run by private investors RTG/RTM contract would of been terminated 

The city does have an option to terminate the contract (as was being discussed by some councillors on Twitter today). Whether that's appropriate at this point is entirely up for debate.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

Rumor I have heard is literally just that the wheel lathe has been acting up lately, and that's slowed down the work. Alstom is responsible for train maintenance, under contract with RTG.

Not sure the best thread to post this since it is more of GOA sighting, but twice this week around 3:30 to 4pm I saw what looked like a 2nd gen LFS heading northbound on Nicholas... the bus was all white and had a sign on the side in the ad mount that said “La Québécoise”. I know that is a Quebec bus operator but does anyone know what service it is providing, or maybe 2 of them just happened to be passing through Ottawa? I spotted it Friday and Wednesday but I can’t really say if it was carrying passengers or even if it was the same bus both times since it was quick glimpses.

5 hours ago, whistler said:

Not sure the best thread to post this since it is more of GOA sighting, but twice this week around 3:30 to 4pm I saw what looked like a 2nd gen LFS heading northbound on Nicholas... the bus was all white and had a sign on the side in the ad mount that said “La Québécoise”. I know that is a Quebec bus operator but does anyone know what service it is providing, or maybe 2 of them just happened to be passing through Ottawa? I spotted it Friday and Wednesday but I can’t really say if it was carrying passengers or even if it was the same bus both times since it was quick glimpses.

I saw a La Québécoise H3-45 loop past Lees Station around the same time yesterday and stop out front to pick people up. I did the loop a couple of times while R1 was operating.