GOA transit news, info etc

7 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

So the person stepped out IN FRONT of the bus ???  I agree that she did indeed contribute to her own misfortune. I do hope she learned a valuable lesson but perhaps not. People like her feel they can do no wrong. After reading this I will just be shaking my head at this all day.

That’s why you look both ways before crossing the street...

8 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

So the person stepped out IN FRONT of the bus ???  I agree that she did indeed contribute to her own misfortune. I do hope she learned a valuable lesson but perhaps not. People like her feel they can do no wrong. After reading this I will just be shaking my head at this all day.

well if you really think about it , if she crossed in front of the bus she would have hit the windshield and front end of the bus before she got run over, which did not happen, she was pinned under the middle wheels which would mean she started to cross after the bus already started to make the turn. 

also in an article it said "she looked up and saw a pedestrian in the crosswalk already. Giama began crossing too when she says the bus made a right turn and pinned her underneath." which would mean she was looking down at something (most likely her phone) when she started to cross. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4960841

10 protective shield for OC Drivers pilot project delayed until Q1 2019. Maybe those 5 are for the 5 of the 9 LFS we're getting in Q1. The other will probably be for the Invero, 60lf, 60lfr, Enviro500 (2012), and enviro500 (2015, 2017).

Where do you get the conclusion that they’ll be installed on each type of bus?

It would cost more to do a trial like that versus one where they focus on a specific bus type.

Just now, CanadaGoose said:

It would cost more to do a trial like that versus one where they focus on a specific bus type.

4 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

10 protective shield for OC Drivers pilot project delayed until Q1 2019. Maybe those 5 are for the 5 of the 9 LFS we're getting in Q1. The other will probably be for the Invero, 60lf, 60lfr, Enviro500 (2012), and enviro500 (2015, 2017).

Read properly, you twit.

7 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Last I heard from someone on the working group for this project Double Deckers will not be a part of the trial as they apparently did not have many incidents onboard

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CanadaGoose said:

And why wouldn’t you test it on all models? I’m surprised the double deckers aren’t on the list for testing because assault is assault, they don’t decide what bus they’re going to do it on.

besides the LFS will require a much different shield then the invero or LFR 

14 hours ago, NewFlyerFan said:

And why wouldn’t you test it on all models? I’m surprised the double deckers aren’t on the list for testing because assault is assault, they don’t decide what bus they’re going to do it on.

besides the LFS will require a much different shield then the invero or LFR 

agreed, assaults can happen on any bus. In my opinion DDs should have the Shields because If anything happened the driver couldn't save himself because of the door.  It will be interesting to see what the shields will be like and what designs they are testing 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

I would not post stuff like that as it was not publicly released by OPS/Octranspo. 

8155 was the bus involved. 

I didn't get that info from anyone within OC, friend told me.? it's clearly a single-vehicle accident. Thanks for the fleet #.

Posted with permission: Back view of the bus and the damage. Seems to suggest what I said earlier... Photo by Michael Burns.

FB_IMG_1547242813400.jpg

In other news amid chaos; OC Transpo monthly pass users no longer need to have an STO/OC Transpo smart card! so you can use your OC Transpo monthly pass at any time anywhere within the sto Network and no longer have to wait until after 9 a.m. or be within Hull or the rapid bus corridor. 

As of Jan. 10, 2019, riders with an OC Transpo monthly pass no longer need to tap their STO-OC Transpo Smart Card when boarding STO buses.

The STO-OC Transpo Smart Card allowed riders to use their OC Transpo pass on STO routes before 9 am. Now, there are no restrictions for OC Transpo pass holders on STO.

What should I do with my STO-OC Transpo Smart Card?

You do not need to return your STO-OC Transpo Smart Card to STO. You may keep your card as a keepsake or dispose of it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I didn't get that info from anyone within OC, friend told me.? it's clearly a single-vehicle accident. Thanks for the fleet #.

Posted with permission: Back view of the bus and the damage. Seems to suggest what I said earlier... Photo by Michael Burns.

FB_IMG_1547242813400.jpg

Unfortunately this reminds me of the Lee's Station incident where a D40 lost control and took out the shelter.

Update: there seems to be no fatalities and CBC reports that only four people were injured.

there are photos and video of the accident however I cannot post them directly due to not be given permission yet, however they are on the CBC Twitter page which I will directly link to. https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCOttawa/status/1083838938081566720  

Ottawa Citizen: Serious bus collision with multiple critical injuries at Westboro Station, say Ottawa police

The driver hit ice, which launched the bus into the side of the Westboro Transitway, taking out a sign and then hitting an overhang on the side of the shelter, said an eyewitness who preferred not to be named. The damage "goes back about 10 rows."

40 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Update: there seems to be no fatalities and CBC reports that only four people were injured.

there are photos and video of the accident however I cannot post them directly due to not be given permission yet, however they are on the CBC Twitter page which I will directly link to. https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCOttawa/status/1083838938081566720  

Sounds like 3 fatalities so far now