GOA transit news, info etc

RE: Nova LFS electric bus demonstration.

I received information that the bus is suppose to be arriving tomorrow, and will be with OC Transpo until Friday, October 12. Supposedly there will be a media event on this as well. It is suppose to be on display at the garage. Don't expect to see the bus be put into service. 

• Like 4

On 10/1/2018 at 6:29 PM, JCL said:

RE: Nova LFS electric bus demonstration.

I received information that the bus is suppose to be arriving tomorrow, and will be with OC Transpo until Friday, October 12. Supposedly there will be a media event on this as well. It is suppose to be on display at the garage. Don't expect to see the bus be put into service. 

Dropped off at Indy this morning

not my photo

9CC68041-54A0-4757-958E-4C8323F71C70.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Is there actually gonna be a public run with the new bus?

Not till an en-route fast charging station has been installed, of which I have found no news of - unless this could be Nova's first extended-range e-bus.

3 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Not till an en-route fast charging station has been installed, of which I have found no news of - unless this could be Nova's first extended-range e-bus.

The charging station in the photo that was posted last week seemed to be a pop-up station. If they could set those up (instead of installing permanent ones) then I guess it could work.

There will be some kind of demonstration tomorrow.

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/oc-transpo-hosting-demonstration-electric-bus

13 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

The charging station in the photo that was posted last week seemed to be a pop-up station. If they could set those up (instead of installing permanent ones) then I guess it could work.

There will be some kind of demonstration tomorrow.

https://ottawa.ca/en/news/oc-transpo-hosting-demonstration-electric-bus

Wow no shuttle back to city hall. They really cut costs here.

unless they are taking the electric bus to city hall and back ;)

i guess that’s what taxi chits are for.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Possible 60Lf

Definitely a D60LF. The way you can tell is by the rounded windows on the rear doors. The video also shows a shot of the front from far away which confirms it.

Doesn't seem to be a good month for artics so far. Another D60LFR was also smoking and caught fire while on route 12 yesterday as per a reddit post. Couldn't get the fleet number. 

Note: Video is not mine, neither is the post. Credit goes to Nicktastick for capturing this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

The D60LFs are currently being refurbished from what I've been told. Is it possible that this one will be refurbished?

Youre not the only one who has been “told”, as evidence states in the D60LF refurbishment thread, they are being refurbished. As for 6390 being refurbished, highly likely as the only difference is they must do a bit of extra repairs in the rear end of the bus, the cost to refurbish the bus was already budgeted for so ?‍♂️

5 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

6390 overheated on me late-April. I wonder if the incidents are related.

Like I said, I think it was an electrical short near battery compartment. Yesterday, when I got my bus, I noticed an entire section of 60 footers at the garage with batteries shut off

3 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Question?

I'm just curious as how long does it take to re-charge one of OC buses when the basttery is dead?

Also if someone leaves the lights and other 'stuff' on without the engine running how long will it take before the battery 'dies'?

It’s quicker to remove the batteries and swap them. Garages have equipment to charge many batteries at once out of the vehicle. Usually six hours minimum....just leave them on trickle charge overnight.

depending on the age of the battery, the interior light load can draw them flat in as little as a half hour. If there’s something to be done in the shop with the electrical on, but engine off, (software uploads on the hybrids springs to mind- power interruption during that is disastrous ) then a cart mounted charger is used to continuously top it off. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Snapped two photos of the electric bus demonstrator at Industrial Garage this morning.

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 20.38.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 20.38.21.jpeg

Photo's look great! Though I hope OC still goes with a diesel variant since come winter the battery won't last as long since the flow of electrons will be reduced *due to cold temperatures*, not to mention the battery is a reason as to why we're retiring the hybrids after 10 years. Of course, that's just my opinion.