GOA transit news, info etc

3 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Fare gates & Machines are currently being installed at Carling Stn

Per this tweet (Thanks goes to @GTAmissions1 for the heads up on the tweet)

Went by Carling & Confederation stns this evening 
Carling looks to be done and Confederation is ready for instalation of the fare gates.
20170816_201250.thumb.jpg.7581a586d1d92f3af1b465cbf74ba296.jpg

Confederation 
20170816_204910.thumb.jpg.58aa1d62c58251774700542006a89763.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 9:27 AM, JCL said:

Technically, this isn't transit-related. However, this transportation-related project does have an impact to OC Transpo. 

The City is considering to grade-separate the rail crossing all along Barrhaven and Merivale, which includes the Southwest Transitway. Link to report and appendices: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=6995&doctype=agenda&itemid=363176

To be discussed tomorrow at the Transportation Committee. 

A new staff report has been posted on the City's web site and will be considered by the Transportation Committee on September 6: http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=7010&doctype=agenda&itemid=364211

Staff is recommending that the Committee to approve the Statement of Work in order to begin the Environmental Assessment study. 

• 2 weeks later...

OC Transpo is complaining about declining ridership citing many different factors such as LRT construction detours and people taking alternative options.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/are-lrt-construction-detours-finally-taking-a-toll-on-bus-riders

Final comments:

I think they are just banking too much on the Confederation line to reverse the trend if it is even going to be completed on time. Knowing the roof is just being installed at Tunney's.

Not sure about the other components such as the rail and overhead wires that far out. Personally, I don't even think they are that close to completion knowing they need the time to also do through testing and field training. 

2 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

An unverified tweet I saw this afternoon suggested that completion of Blair station may be 10 months behind schedule!!

Well, I remember seeing a timeline schedule saying that the stations between Blair and Hurdman would be done of been done Summer 2016. And, they all looked substantially completed.

16 minutes ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

Well, I remember seeing a timeline schedule saying that the stations between Blair and Hurdman would be done of been done Summer 2016. And, they all looked substantially completed.

Based on archived versions of some of the station web pages on the Confederation Line website, some stations were supposed to be done last winter. 

The first station that is supposed to be completed (as of checking the current version of the website) is Tremblay by "Summer 2017" (taken literally, that would mean Friday..), followed by the rest of the eastern stations in the winter, and then the western stations later on.

I haven't been past Tremblay in a few weeks, but it did seem fairly close to completion.

1 hour ago, OCCheetos said:

Based on archived versions of some of the station web pages on the Confederation Line website, some stations were supposed to be done last winter. 

The first station that is supposed to be completed (as of checking the current version of the website) is Tremblay by "Summer 2017" (taken literally, that would mean Friday..), followed by the rest of the eastern stations in the winter, and then the western stations later on.

I haven't been past Tremblay in a few weeks, but it did seem fairly close to completion.

Presently, Blair looks closer to completion than Tremblay.

Some new transit screens will be installed at select stations to replace the older screens. 

Here is the article (posted below): 

Starting this week and throughout October, we will be installing transit screens at a number of stations. These screens will provide real-time bus and train departure times and live service updates (such as detours, delays and elevator outages).

Some areas in the stations, including shelters, may be temporarily unavailable during the installation. Please follow all signs and directions. Thank you for your patience.

Transit screens will be installed at the following stations and will replace the outdated screens at the stations where they are currently found:

• Terry Fox
  • Bayshore
  • Baseline
  • Lincoln Fields
  • St-Laurent
  • Mackenzie King
  • South Keys
  • Greenboro
  • Billings Bridge
  • Place d’Orléans
  • Hurdman
  • Carleton, Carling, Confederation Trillium Line Stations

Final comments:

Finally replacing the older ones that are often inaccurate or not real-time. Just default schedules considering there are more accurate ways such as GPS along with getting the info out to passenger that don't have a smartphone, text message alerts or emails. 

Some news for next booking!

Main changes is the 95 midday and evening service will be reduced to an unknown frequency yet, but in turn Double Deckers will be on it all day long (Unknown if after the sun goes down). ALSO the 95 and 177 will be combined into one route. 

Some Connexction's  route changes in Kanata, and Orleans. With new routes going in the La Cite area. 

Another batch of number changes but not as many as past bookings.

Now, this is early and I know some people will say "No way this is true" so take it with a grain of salt if you wish :) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OCtranspo10 said:

Main changes is the 95 midday and evening service will be reduced to an unknown frequency yet, but in turn Double Deckers will be on it all day long (Unknown if after the sun goes down). ALSO the 95 and 177 will be combined into one route. 

Some Connexction's  route changes in Kanata, and Orleans. With new routes going in the La Cite area. 

Now, this is early and I know some people will say "No way this is true" so take it with a grain of salt if you wish :) 

Only double deckers on that route? No artics at all? So they are combining two routes into one, basically.

I don't remember if I posted this or not, but they are also doing the exact opposite with another route, the 14. The route as we know it now will be split in two. Part of the 14 will be the 53, effective next year. It's supposed to be helping Carlington residents get to the Confederation Line faster. 

46 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Only double deckers on that route? No artics at all? So they are combining two routes into one, basically.

I don't remember if I posted this or not, but they are also doing the exact opposite with another route, the 14. The route as we know it now will be split in two. Part of the 14 will be the 53, effective next year. It's supposed to be helping Carlington residents get to the Confederation Line faster. 

No artics will still run on the 95 as well as double deckers.

The 14 is only one of many routes that will be split, curtailed or rerouted when LRT eventually goes live.

1 hour ago, OCtranspo10 said:

The 95 during mid-day runs every 10 minutes except for summer, the headway is every 12 minutes. Covering only Barrhaven Town Centre to Trim. No trippers or special branches attached to this analysis. 

Assuming that drivers are given 90 minutes (1 hour and 30 minutes), it would require 9 articulated buses and maintaining both directions would equal 18. Maybe two spares just in case for bus breakdowns or if one is significantly behind due to other variable factors. 

Should they switch the articulated buses out for double deckers, the frequency would decrease to every 12 minutes and remove 3 buses for a total of 15 buses running. 15 minute frequency would remove 6 buses for a total of 12 buses running. 

Citing that when using higher capacity buses (double deckers in this case), they carry a lot more passengers reducing labour costs. At the same time, I don't think they want to tinker too much with the frequency. I can get if the wait is an extra two minutes or so (like I said, summer is when the 95 full route runs every 12 minutes). 

95 during the evening:

The difficult part with this is because the 95X Baseline trippers take over along with some starting at Tunney's (last departure is 21:51 or 9:51 PM towards Orleans). When you add both the 95 full routes and 95 that run between Orleans and Baseline (Algonquin College), the frequency is every 7.5 minutes (both branches run 15 minute frequency). At the same time, also want to evaluate the demand carefully since I have seen fully loaded buses up until at least midnight on the flagship route.

95 and 177:

Not sure why they want to combine the 177 into the 95. I do know that the 177 interlines into the 95 during the morning peak periods. Most likely take an approach from 97 alternating between Bayshore and Bells Corners (additional coverage west of Bayshore). 

Final comments:

Right now, I will take it with a grain of salt since I did once say on Twitter, "I never believe anything unless it is from citing official sources. It applies to a lot of areas. Not only music." At the same time, I do think there is some credibility in some of your comments such as the double decker project (running them outside of peak periods).

Hard to gauge some of the info. But only time will tell since it is almost October and service changes take place in December knowing that anything could change. A lot of things a work in progress. 

14 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The 95 during mid-day runs every 10 minutes except for summer, the headway is every 12 minutes. Covering only Barrhaven Town Centre to Trim. No trippers or special branches attached to this analysis. 

Assuming that drivers are given 90 minutes (1 hour and 30 minutes), it would require 9 articulated buses and maintaining both directions would equal 18. Maybe two spares just in case for bus breakdowns or if one is significantly behind due to other variable factors. 

Should they switch the articulated buses out for double deckers, the frequency would decrease to every 12 minutes and remove 3 buses for a total of 15 buses running. 15 minute frequency would remove 6 buses for a total of 12 buses running. 

Citing that when using higher capacity buses (double deckers in this case), they carry a lot more passengers reducing labour costs. At the same time, I don't think they want to tinker too much with the frequency. I can get if the wait is an extra two minutes or so (like I said, summer is when the 95 full route runs every 12 minutes). 

95 during the evening:

The difficult part with this is because the 95X Baseline trippers take over along with some starting at Tunney's (last departure is 21:51 or 9:51 PM towards Orleans). When you add both the 95 full routes and 95 that run between Orleans and Baseline (Algonquin College), the frequency is every 7.5 minutes (both branches run 15 minute frequency). At the same time, also want to evaluate the demand carefully since I have seen fully loaded buses up until at least midnight on the flagship route.

95 and 177:

Not sure why they want to combine the 177 into the 95. I do know that the 177 interlines into the 95 during the morning peak periods. Most likely take an approach from 97 alternating between Bayshore and Bells Corners (additional coverage west of Bayshore). 

Final comments:

Right now, I will take it with a grain of salt since I did once say on Twitter, "I never believe anything unless it is from citing official sources. It applies to a lot of areas. Not only music." At the same time, I do think there is some credibility in some of your comments such as the double decker project (running them outside of peak periods).

Hard to gauge some of the info. But only time will tell since it is almost October and service changes take place in December knowing that anything could change. A lot of things a work in progress. 

Is it possible that they'll have route 91 extended to operate in the evenings?

8 hours ago, Gregory said:

Is it possible that they'll have route 91 extended to operate in the evenings?

I have asked OC Transpo years ago and they simply stated there were no plans to extend it beyond the end of the PM peak. Especially when the time difference is really not significant during the evening/weekends/holidays.

I also asked them about extending the 98 on Saturdays to be consistent when the 97 takes over at 10 PM (currently the 98 stops running from MacKenzie King just after 7 PM where as Sunday to Friday, it is consistent to the transition). No plans on changing that scheduling either.

Final comments:

A lot of the measures are just temporary. Considering how late it is now, I don't think there is any plans to change it now.  

On 9/28/2017 at 8:25 PM, OCtranspo10 said:

The news about the 177 is close to what I heard, but not quite. I would expect a rush hour peak direction extension of the 95 into the area served by the 177, but following a different route serving more new development in the area. It would likely replace the 177 interlining, improving on that by operating in both AM and PM.

1 hour ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

This is a list some routes that were renumbered in the fall, or are going to be renumbered or combined into another route, in the new year.

Left is new routes, middle is old route numbers, right is effective date. all routes that say Sept 17 were changes that happened this booking 

1 minute ago, OCCheetos said:

So... They're combining the 293 with the 93, and then introducing a new 293?

Do not know right now, will get the details on that in a week or two.