GOA transit news, info etc

I already posted this article link in the Confederation Line thread, however this paragraph is of interest: http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/oc-transpo-wants-to-spend-4-8m-on-lrt-training

The fleet of hybrid buses are being retired in 2018, freeing up a pile of cash. It would be big money to overhaul the batteries to keep those buses running, and besides, the hybrids were never really suited for the city’s large and relatively high-speed transit network.

The fleet of hybrid buses are being retired in 2018, freeing up a pile of cash. It would be big money to overhaul the batteries to keep those buses running, and besides, the hybrids were never really suited for the city’s large and relatively high-speed transit network.

I guess our future is double deckers and light rail.

1 hour ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

I guess our future is double deckers and light rail.

OC have already stated Double Deckers won't be used on either all day services or services serving Downtown, there will have to be further investiment in 40" buses as the Invernos are approaching retirement age, even those which are being refurbished. 

3 hours ago, JCL said:

I was never really a big fan of the hybrid buses. Especially being a complete drain on resources which could be better utilized elsewhere.

Though the bigger question is with the Inveros, will be they last long enough even with refurbishment holding them together until the first stage and possibly the second stage until the network is further extended to make an impact on fleet reduction.

Final comments:

If OC Transpo does decide to purchase new 40 ft regular buses, avoid buying them all at once. Have a certain amount be made available at an interval rather than risk having an entire fleet crippled with issues. Have a regular replacement cycle than one large replacement cycle.

This was posted on Twitter:

I know double deckers are restricted from operating the hospital ring road due to clearance issues. Though not sure which stop this one was at or if the transit operator took the wrong direction not realizing the issue. 

EDIT: Another view which the bus involved was 4456

Edited by GTAmissions1
Another view of the incident found on Twitter

Drove through the new Hurdman Station today. It looks great, and it's actually quite expansive.

Of concern: Stop B, for all the downtown-bound buses, is quite short. Can fit two articulated buses comfortably with doors open. The scaffolding prevents additional buses from opening their doors, although it does not mean there will be a backlog of buses, as there is a second lane. Stop D currently has no shelter and is strangely far away from Stop C. The current shelter capacity at Hurdman has also been drastically been reduced from what was available at Temphurd Station.

2 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

Drove through the new Hurdman Station today. It looks great, and it's actually quite expansive.

Of concern: Stop B, for all the downtown-bound buses, is quite short. Can fit two articulated buses comfortably with doors open. The scaffolding prevents additional buses from opening their doors, although it does not mean there will be a backlog of buses, as there is a second lane. Stop D currently has no shelter and is strangely far away from Stop C. The current shelter capacity at Hurdman has also been drastically been reduced from what was available at Temphurd Station.

If you look, there are holes drilled in the ground for an additional shelter at stop D.

48 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

The LRT is really starting to take shape! Only wish the station platforms could be directly adjacent to the bus bays so the walking distance would be minimal.

With Hurdman that's not possible givin it's layout. Blair and Tunney's however is planned to be closer to the station building. 

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:

With Hurdman that's not possible givin it's layout. Blair and Tunney's however is planned to be closer to the station building. 

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

The LRT is really starting to take shape! Only wish the station platforms could be directly adjacent to the bus bays so the walking distance would be minimal.

When the scaffolding is removed, a drop-off platform (Stop A) will be added, which will be adjacent to the western set of stairs.

Well at least this time the station at Hurdman have doors on the shelters and assume are heated?

Question does anyone know why as you come in off Riverside/Terminal leading into Hurdman Station just off to the right wqhere the LRT goes towardsTrain Staion there's a bridge/overpass? Will buses eventually use that underpass?

I don't think anyone posted this but:

http://www.kitchissippiward.ca/content/proposed-changes-kitchissippi-oc-transpo-routes

kwardroutemap.jpeg?itok=Hj8ZiC-T

No surprise to anyone, in roughly mid-2018 the Confederation Line light rail will begin running between Tunney’s Pasture and Blair Station. This will be the beginning of a profound transformation in how residents of Ottawa move around the City, and there will be multiple changes to how public transit offered by OC Transpo will work.

If you click the route map attached to this post, you’ll see a bigger version. To some degree, it will look familiar (with some changes to route numbers and tweaks to some routes). But, there are some key changes that represent a new approach to transit. With the LRT operational, I’d characterize transit planner’s new priority as moving people from their neighbourhood to the nearest LRT station.

One of the key shifts is that many journeys will now require passengers to transfer to the LRT or another bus. I’m comfortable with this. Even with a transfer, most journeys will be quicker by incorporating rail into them. The stations have been thoughtfully designed, and key transfer points will have fare-paid zones that obviate the need for proof-of-payment. At most times of the day, the train will arrive around every 5 minutes, and its trip won’t be subject to the delays we currently experience trying to shove too many buses through the core. Bus trips will also be more reliable for the same reason.

Some of the key changes in our ward that I believe need to be highlighted are:

• The current 14 will now arrive at Gladstone/Parkdale, turn north, and terminate at Tunney’s. Those who wish to go to Carlington will now take a new route 53 that also terminates at Tunney’s. That does have implications for residents particularly in the Civic Hospital neighbourhood. I recognize that there are some trips generated in Civic that are currently a single route straight downtown. And, there are some trips that will go to destinations along Gladstone. Going straight to Gladstone/Bank is a quicker way to get to the Glebe than catching a 1 or 7 further north. Staff are getting back to me with those numbers.
  • The 11 (former 2) will now leave the corridor to serve Tunney’s instead of Westboro.
  • The 16, after serving Champlain Park/Westboro Beach, will now terminate at Westboro. The 50 and 51 will now serve Westboro and McKellar Park.
  • While the detour on Scott Street of Transitway buses will end, some Rapid route 75, 61 and 63 trips will continue to use Scott during weekday peak to avoid to serve Gatineau without requiring two successive quick transfers.

Both Councillor Brockington and I are engaged in discussions with OC about these changes, taking into account feedback we’ve already heard. If you have a concern, please let me know.

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Question does anyone know why as you come in off Riverside/Terminal leading into Hurdman Station just off to the right wqhere the LRT goes towardsTrain Staion there's a bridge/overpass? Will buses eventually use that underpass?

For future Alta Vista Parkway expansion towards Lees Ave

5 minutes ago, sdgta2008 said:

Really...?  Hasn't that project been deferred to around 2025...?  I'm surprised they've built an overpass so soon.

54 minutes ago, CyrusKafaiWu said:

I don't think anyone posted this but:

http://www.kitchissippiward.ca/content/proposed-changes-kitchissippi-oc-transpo-routes

For future Alta Vista Parkway expansion towards Lees Ave

i highly doubt that bridge is for the parkway as there's no viable way to link the Nicholas off ramp to it!

from a CBC story

"The parkway would start at the Nicholas Street exit of the Queensway and run south to Conroy and Walkley roads."

The proposed extension would run south through the park to the hospital link overpass at Lycee Claudel 

Map for reference

3.thumb.JPG.3e07a0eb10730d8851b4b87508f01267.JPG

11 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

Well at least this time the station at Hurdman have doors on the shelters and assume are heated?

It's a planned extension of Industrial Avenue. See page 58.

6 hours ago, sdgta2008 said:

Really...?  Hasn't that project been deferred to around 2025...?  I'm surprised they've built an overpass so soon.

It's currently used as a construction access, and appears to be vital in not having construction traffic interfere with the general flow of public transit too much.

6 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

i highly doubt that bridge is for the parkway as there's no viable way to link the Nicholas off ramp to it!

from a CBC story

"The parkway would start at the Nicholas Street exit of the Queensway and run south to Conroy and Walkley roads."

The proposed extension would run south through the park to the hospital link overpass at Lycee Claudel 

Map for reference

3.thumb.JPG.3e07a0eb10730d8851b4b87508f01267.JPG

See page 58.