GOA transit news, info etc

1 hour ago, chimo said:

What I am writing is not directed strictly to Centralsmt but you bring points others have and it's getting frustrating. 

Just as we don't know if they will dump the hybrids, we don't know if OC does have a replacement policy. While it's frustrating for us on the board, they are not even required to have one or to disclose it. Better to keep manufacturers on their toes and run a tender whenever you are ready to buy buses. Bulk buying gives purchasing power not only for the buses themselves but also for the parts contract. So it can make sense to buy artics in bulk. Furthermore, in such a no density city if we had a high frequency network all day and evening 7 days a week (read 10 min or less network not the 15 min or less we will get) we would not need as many artics if at all. The issues is that we know we won't get that kind of frequency hence artics. Buses today are not built like the GM New Look, it's really about the US Market where 12 years max is the norm otherwise your system can't get funding from the FTA. Manufacturers wanted Canada to do the same but we don't even have multi year stable funding for transit so it's irrelevant. So we should instead ask OC if it's really worth it to rebuild buses that were designed to last only 12 years.

That being said there will always be a tension between politicians desperate to run a budget instead of a city and the transit professionals. OC may very well have a good idea of what they need to do, but let's not forget that they had to fight council hard to make them understand that the LRT won't save money but instead avoid costs. So OC can't really come on publicly and say here's the replacement plan for the bus fleet which will cost XXX millions. Hence we cannot really guess if they have a replacement policy or what it is. You could try access to information but with commercial information that could cost the city a lot, I would be surprised if we could get that info. If I were in their shoes, I would not write down any replacement plan for fear the politicians would kill it. Instead you go to council every time it's required. Gives us the same result but keeps the politicians off our back.

I am not sure I entirely agree with HB_1024 that because they are hybrids those buses would necessarily cost more to rebuild. However that specific model has been determined by various investigations (Auditor General of Ontario, committee of the legislature and OC itself ) that they were badly designed and assembled. Furthermore the manufacturer is long gone bankrupt. Those are I believe important factors in the decision making process. I do agree with HB_1024 that at 8-10 years of age they are due for a rebuild, but because of what I mentioned no one in their right mind would attempt to rebuild those buses even if there are Inveros and artics in worse shape, which I would not be surprised there were. 

I think though that the complaints about the fleet plan miss the most important part. OC is not authorized by city council to actually improve transit in Ottawa! So please stop complaining about the bus replacement plan, considering the constraints it's quite good actually. 

We won't get better service because OC is not buying more buses or not rebuilding the Hybrids. No,  we won't get more buses because we won't need them with the current crappy service plan! That's the plan we all need to worry about. Why buy buses that you refuse to run? OC is not a bus collector's club, it's our transit system. I use it to go to the hospital every day and go to work and generally have a life. So it gets to me when I keep reading the same thing over and over. Yes I get emotional because I see here so much energy being wasted on the wrong things. I didn't wait 30 minutes today for the 94 eastbound from St-Laurent because we don't have enough buses (heck on the 106 to St-Laurent I see plenty enough parked outside of peak service), it's because that's what our city has decided to provide.

There's no way even with detours for stage 2 that we will need that many buses for the current crappy service plan. Let's not forget that buses will stop at Tunney's Pasture, Hurdman or Blair, each bus and driver will be more productive. So please anyone do tell me why we need OC to come up with a better bus replacement plan? The same complaint keeps coming back and back from many here. 

We need better service which may indeed require more buses, but until the city gives OC the means and the OK to do so, OC doesn't need many buses. It just doesn't. No point in buying very expensive buses that we will just park.

CBC reported that OC told them they estimate they won't need between 170-180 buses when stage 1 comes online. Hence why I and many here I suspect that to mean the hybrids are gone. Which is fine, they are not reliable and they are gaz guzzlers, not because OC won't use them correctly but because in a city bus hybrid you don't put a standard diesel engine but instead a turbine. So it doesn't matter how OC uses them, it's a bad bus, they need to go. That number is probably too high but then again most of our councillors represent wards where car usage is high and less transit usage means to them a smaller budget. They are just fine with pulling another Transitway debacle where ridership collapses. Of course it's short sighted but we need better politicians.

Also our dear mayor has told media he's excited about self-driving vehicles potentially eliminating the need for cities to buy buses, he's been active on that front actively lobbying the provincial government (several trips to Toronto) to amend regulations to help the industry and he wants Ottawa to become a centre for this tech. 

Nevermind the fact that there are significant issues that may never be resolved which makes self-driving a non-starter. Our mayor believes in it and believes it will allow him to force us to use that instead of a bus to connect to the O-Train system. He clearly said that in the next few years this tech will allow cities like Ottawa to avoid buying so many buses to serve the periphery. So that's another reason why OC can't buy the buses I am certain they know we need. 

So please people stop complaining about OC not having a bus replacement policy, the problem is the mayor who won't lobby his buddies at Queen's Park for better transit funding but instead wants to prop up a technology that can only (if it works) force us into the hands of a monopoly or oligopoly; can you say Lyft or Uber? 

Me too I believe we are ready for electric buses and want more and better transit. But right now, the problem is not the fleet plan at all. It's the service plan. 

Watson announced he wants to run for a third term. So when the time comes to choose who to vote for, please take into consideration that Watson is not friendly to transit, our wallets (private oligopoly or monopoly aren't cheap) or proper governance. 

As far as transit is concerned, we need a different mayor. 

He may be good for other things, but not for transit. Time for fresh thinking at city hall.

I wrote way too much but it just gets to me, because I think those who take time on this forum could be a force for good in transit, but if we who care about transit can't even understand what is going on, we can't expect politicians to do so. When I read comments like that I know that I should just give up and get a car. 

So the call to arms:

Tell your Federal MP: cities need stable multi-year funding for transit

Tell your MPP: Province needs to reverse long standing cuts to transit funding, province needs to fund operations instead of capital expenses. Let the cities borrow interest free from the infrastructure bank the province keeps talking about

Tell your city councillor: we need a high-frequency transit system 7 days a week in both directions (not just to go downtown in the morning and back in the PM). Transit usage will grow only when citizens know it will be there and convenient for them when they need it. 

Tell our mayor: self-driving tech is not ready for deployment that much is clear with all the leaks and scandals that keep popping up. We need a good transit system and if he still has influence at Queen's Park he needs to ask for funding. If Toronto doesn't know what to do with the money, we do. 

You do know that transit operators the world over, irrespective of where they are,  generally have a cohesive fleet replacement plan?

Personally I'm frustrated at travelling on buses on a daily basis that are up to 14 years old and even those that have received a superficial refurbishment are on their last legs with many falling to bits, sometimes literally, buses that are so noisy with rattles you cant even hold a conversation with the person sitting next to you without shouting. These buses are on frontline service out sometimes over 20 hours a day.

Yes the service plan is lousy, and its going to get even worse when LRT begins for those who don't live in the areas where a nice shiny double decker is going to take them to a LRT station, but their services are also going to be chopped, leaving them to transfer onto another ancient, noisy overcrowded 40" bus to complete their journey to work, or hospital. You also need to invest in Infrastructure and you need do it regularly.

PS Have you any bright ideas where they are going to find the money to replace 320 articulated buses in 6 or 7 years time along with the cash to replace 300+ time expired 40" and the 40 or so artics that need to be replaced within the next 5 years maximum? (that is assuming that the hybrids are being withdrawn).

Here's the thing, outside this board the majority of bus riders(probably 98%)could care less  what type of bus shows up as long as one shows up.

Once LRT opens those that presently have one bus trip(Point A to Point B), in most case will need to transfer at least once or (twice if going to Gatneau)are going to be pissed, but there's not much you can do.

As for Hybrid buses true the Orion VII was crap, but what other manifactures> There are plenty of therm out there besides Novabus & NFI? there are 

Setra

Scania

Volvo

Van Hool

Man

Mercedes

NABI 

just to name a few. Why does it only need to be Novabus or NFI. If these European manifacturs have Eletric/Desiel or just Electric versions of buses and are have presumablying having success, then lok towards them?

Yes it maybe more expensive, but if you want quality over quantity then prehaps thats the way to go. Not saying we should, but just look at it.

As for service I agree with Centralsmt, service is not reliable presently and I'm guessing it doing to get worst with Phase 1 opens, even more worst when Phase 2 opens. 

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

Here's the thing, outside this board the majority of bus riders(probably 98%)could care less  what type of bus shows up as long as one shows up.

Once LRT opens those that presently have one bus trip(Point A to Point B), in most case will need to transfer at least once or (twice if going to Gatneau)are going to be pissed, but there's not much you can do.

As for Hybrid buses true the Orion VII was crap, but what other manifactures> There are plenty of therm out there besides Novabus & NFI? there are 

Setra

Scania

Volvo

Van Hool

Man

Mercedes

NABI 

just to name a few. Why does it only need to be Novabus or NFI. If these European manifacturs have Eletric/Desiel or just Electric versions of buses and are have presumablying having success, then lok towards them?

Yes it maybe more expensive, but if you want quality over quantity then prehaps thats the way to go. Not saying we should, but just look at it.

As for service I agree with Centralsmt, service is not reliable presently and I'm guessing it doing to get worst with Phase 1 opens, even more worst when Phase 2 opens. 

Setra - Do not make city buses 

Scania - committed to liquid biogas technology

Volvo - although committed to electric technology they own Novabus 

Van Hool - unlikely to return to the North American market on a large scale

Man - have no desire to enter the North American market

Mercedes - did bring a Citaro to North America but nothing came of it, also they owned Orion

NABI - No longer exist

of other manufactures ADL only produce lightweight single deckers of their own manufacture or they also body Scania chassis and now electric vehicles with a Chinese chassis. The Chinese are the largest manufacturers of electric vehicles and are way ahead of other manufacturers in that technology.

There are also trials of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles manufactured by the likes of Van Hool commencing in various parts of Europe.

What you have to remember is two main things, with trade restrictions it is extremely difficult for any manufacturer to gain a foothold in North America if it is not a North American company, and under the current US administration likely to get significantly more difficult.

Also North America is very parochial when it comes to their vehicles, they want big heavy gas guzzling machines, not lighter more fuel efficient environmentally friendly vehicles, which may have a shorter working life, but in fact are more common now all over the world, and what operators in those countries want.

• Like 2

LRT Ottawa<--->Gatnaue

With the mayor wanting a possible link with the LRT between OIttawa & Gatnaue, using the Prince Of Wales Bridge I see a way that OC & STO could no longer "Classified" as inter-provincial service and ther for would fall under Ontario instead of Federal rules.

I've seen a pic

slide3.jpg

Now where that Island is between the two bridges I do believe that the provincial board runs down the middle of the Island, Now OC only needs to stop the train before it hits the Quebec side, put the LRT station on the Ontario side, while on the Quebec side you out a STO Rapid Bus station and convert the outher bridge to Bus, and you remve all STO Bus service from Ottawa and you remove all bus service from Gatnaue.

If the Aylmer LRT goes through, it'd be cool if it turned down the Place du Portage bridge or Prince of Wales Bridge

Alternative 1: Prince of Wales Bridge -> Bayview -> follow SJAM onto Wellington -> continue down Wellington to Rideau -> serve ByWard and then back into Gatineau (through either Alexandra ou Macdonald - Cartier)

Alternative 2: Chaudière -> Place du Portage -> Portage bridge -> continue on Wellington towards Rideau -> serve ByWard via Dalhousie or Sussex -> back to Gatineau (through either Alexandra ou Macdonald - Cartier)

Gatineau would be able to force a transfer at Portage :P, make it's downtown busier :P

On 2017-03-09 at 2:32 PM, Centralsmt said:

You do know that transit operators the world over, irrespective of where they are,  generally have a cohesive fleet replacement plan?

Personally I'm frustrated at travelling on buses on a daily basis that are up to 14 years old and even those that have received a superficial refurbishment are on their last legs with many falling to bits, sometimes literally, buses that are so noisy with rattles you cant even hold a conversation with the person sitting next to you without shouting. These buses are on frontline service out sometimes over 20 hours a day.

Yes the service plan is lousy, and its going to get even worse when LRT begins for those who don't live in the areas where a nice shiny double decker is going to take them to a LRT station, but their services are also going to be chopped, leaving them to transfer onto another ancient, noisy overcrowded 40" bus to complete their journey to work, or hospital. You also need to invest in Infrastructure and you need do it regularly.

PS Have you any bright ideas where they are going to find the money to replace 320 articulated buses in 6 or 7 years time along with the cash to replace 300+ time expired 40" and the 40 or so artics that need to be replaced within the next 5 years maximum? (that is assuming that the hybrids are being withdrawn).

Actually most operators being public organizations the world over they have to buy whatever the politicians tells them to in order to "save jobs" when there's a bus plant. Hence why growing up in Québec we got whatever GM and MCI and now Novabus produced in St-Eustache. Same thing in Ontario, we had to save jobs at Orion hence we got those buses, hence why the TTC got stuck with the RT in Scarborough. 

There are examples all over the world like that. So no, please no simply not true that there fleet replacement plans at most operators, this is the stuff of scandals and how local/provincial elections are fought and lost.

14 years old is only an issue because the bus nowadays are designed to fail at the 12 year mark. I spend my youth on much older new look and because the windows were made of glass there was rattle straight off the assembly line. We simply don't have that kind of rattle. Our buses are surprisingly in good shape considering and kudos to the staff in the garage for pulling that feat. 

The noise is because when manufacturers switched from 2 cycle engines to 4 cycles they could not be bothered to put insulation in the engine bay, because profits you know? That's why you can't have a decent conversation not because of the rattle or that the buses are old. 

I don't think local services are going to get chopped. They are inadequate as it is but shouldn't get worse. I think you are underestimating how many buses and drivers we are wasting at peak hours going through downtown. It's huge. 

Thats why with the same level of service we won't need as many buses as before. 

Its been explained here before by many others. On the previous booking on the 20B my driver explained that he would after that run deadhead to do the old 67, after that run deadhead to St-Laurent and do the 101 to Bayshore. Once in a while he could pick up something after that, that was the morning, afternoon different runs but still 3 runs. So typically 3 runs across town where there are multiple occasions for that buses to be late out of position and mess up planning. 

With the LRT that bus won't be going across town like that. It will do 4-7 runs at rush hour in the same area, going no where near downtown or any place where it could get stuck in traffic, be late and out of position.

That's what I am talking about here. For the same level of service we won't need that many buses. We won't have as many 20+ km routes anymore which of course is abuse of bus. Buses will finally be used for what they are designed, short local runs to the higher order transit service. 

The problem with overcrowded buses is that politicians hate seeing buses that appear empty, so you will never have a system where most runs are comfortable. It's called mass transit for a reason. If you want a comfortable ride the politicians expect you to drive your car. And believe me, they are surprised if not in disbelief if you tell them you don't have a car. I know it happened to me.

Regarding your PS I thought I explained what the issue was. Our dear mayor has clearly said in various statements to the media that he believes that autonomous vehicles will allow our city to be able to avoid buying expensive buses outside of trunk routes.

I believe it's idiotic to believe that people will buy a car and allow that car to be put in service to pick people for fares. But that's exactly what Mayor Watson believes, he went to Queen's Park recently to see his old buddies (he was Minister of Municipal Affairs so he knows people there) to lobby not for better transit funding but for the government to relax regulations and come with a plan to make Ottawa a centre for that tech. 

So I don't need to come up with bright ideas about how to pay for the replacement of buses. Our mayor believes we won't need to replace them, artics?? Forget them at stage 2 they are gone if Watson returns. He thinks you will Board someone's autonomous car with other people you don't know to get to your LRT station. I disagree with that vision but that's the vision that's being proposed here, for there's a lot of money to be made for some, while for the rest of us it won't be good.

You want better newer buses and better service? Then we need a different mayor, unless you believe in his vision. Which I doubt as your complaints would then be irrelevant. 

That's why I insist that the key is the service plan. I understand how decisions are made about infrastructure believe me, you plan for the infrastructure that will allow you to deliver the service plan. 

Watson believes we won't need the bus to get to the LRT. I strongly disagree about that. But to keep coming here and harp about how are we going to get buses without a fleet replacement plan when the plan is to do without is to miss the point. You don't buy buses you don't intend to run! 

Keep in mind also who elects Watson: transients who will move out of Ottawa in 4-5 years. 

We are the national capital, so we get a lot of :

-federal politicians and their staff

-military on rotation

-RCMP on rotation

- federal public service (to a lesser degree)

-private sector trade association

all these come to Ottawa for a few years, buy a house in Kanata, Barrhaven or Orleans. Almost all of those have a car, so they take transit to go to work mostly Downtown and that's it. I am sure you have noticed that most people put their bus pass with their work pass. That's the clearest signal that these people won't be caught dead in a 40' on a Saturday afternoon.

the rest of the time they drive. That's why we can't get the proper infrastructure, all these people want is for low taxes and their house value to go up at least enough to cover the closing and moving costs. That's what Watson delivers. Had O'Brien understood that he might still be the mayor (not that I like him, it's the analysis).

What about the rest of us? We need to identify the issues and vote accordingly. 

10 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

LRT Ottawa<--->Gatnaue

With the mayor wanting a possible link with the LRT between OIttawa & Gatnaue, using the Prince Of Wales Bridge I see a way that OC & STO could no longer "Classified" as inter-provincial service and ther for would fall under Ontario instead of Federal rules.

I've seen a pic

slide3.jpg

Now where that Island is between the two bridges I do believe that the provincial board runs down the middle of the Island, Now OC only needs to stop the train before it hits the Quebec side, put the LRT station on the Ontario side, while on the Quebec side you out a STO Rapid Bus station and convert the outher bridge to Bus, and you remve all STO Bus service from Ottawa and you remove all bus service from Gatnaue.

I don't even know if that's possible or if it resolves an issue.

However we need to keep in mind that anything that affects the STO's federal status is a non-starter with the city of Gatineau.

The labour regime under federal rules is much more favourable than under Québec rules. 

That's why I don't believe we will ever see STO buses disappear from Ottawa streets.

On 2017-03-09 at 6:59 PM, MCIBUS said:

Setra

Scania

Volvo

Van Hool

Man

Mercedes

NABI 

I agree with you that most people don't care what type of buses there unless they get really bad. 

Service will be difficult until we complete stage 2. Of course even then it depends on what council wants to give us. 

I am glad I rarely if ever have to get to Gatineau as indeed this is the weak point of the new system.

I agree with Centralsmt that most manufacturers are not interested in the North American market for the reasons he/she brought up.

However Green Power http://www.greenpowerbus.com/

of BC seems to be racking up orders. BYD certainly wants to pick up orders in Canada. 

It remains to be seen if Proterra can be enticed to bid in Canada, however their hands are full in the US. 

Too bad about Van Hool, their Exquicity line would have been great for the long routes that will continue to exist after the LRT such as: 12, 118(88) and a few others. It's not just the vehicle layout but also the fact that they have multiple propulsion systems including inductive power (not yet in service, but Bombardier has success for some tramways using that). This could help bring electric propulsion to OC 

Right now OC is buying in small batches which gives a chance to smaller players to get involved. 

GreenPower? Didn't even know they existed? Nice line of buses?

The issue of bus purchases Bulk vs small quantity is debatable and depends on how one views it.

True you get a better price if you buy in bulk.

The only one draw back about buying in bulk is if a Transport Canada recall/defect in which that bus model are ordered off the road. (Vary rare )but if it happens. You SOL if you have 200+ of that model?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

GreenPower? Didn't even know they existed? Nice line of buses?

The issue of bus purchases Bulk vs small quantity is debatable and depends on how one views it.

True you get a better price if you buy in bulk.

The only one draw back about buying in bulk is if a Transport Canada recall/defect in which that bus model are ordered off the road. (Vary rare )but if it happens. You SOL if you have 200+ of that model?  

Indeed I only found out about green power recently. Don't know much about them but seems interesting and they are from Canada. 

Have recalls been much of an issue for buses? 

Either way small or large am not too concerned about how buses are bought it's all about the funding will we get enough of it? 

If we get funding we will buy buses. 

EXTRA EXTRA! GET REDUCED EQUIPASS IF UNDER STATISTICS CANADA SET LOW INCOME CUT!!!

Learn about it here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-low-income-pass-applications-1.4018182

NOUVELLES NOUVELLES!!! OBTENEZ TON EQUIPASS À UN PRIX RÉDUITE SI VOUS ETES SOUS LA CATÉGORIE DES PERSONNES À FAIBLE REVNEU! :)

Apprenez plus ici: http://www.octranspo.com/tarifs/a_compter_du_printemps_equipass

Final comments

Good to see the city actually cares

-------------------------

EXTRA EXTRA BUS DRIVER SAVES THE DAY, BY USING BRAKES, BLAME PUT ON GOVERNMENT FOR NOT BUILDING PERMANENT SOLUTION! READ ALL ABOUT IT!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-via-train-hard-brake-1.4015759

MY COMMENTS

Build an underpass

Kudos to OC Transpo maintenance for finding a solution to the air flow problem on the top floor of the double decker buses.  I hated getting the cold air directly blown onto your head but now they have these new regulators that make the ride much more comfortable.

IMG_5085.JPG

• Like 1

It doesn't say how many though? I do know in the last round of Gas Money" the provnce gave OC money to buy two extra trains. The catch here is who wil bid and who wil win? If Alston wins they'll simply supply the sa,e trains presently. If Bombardier  wins not sure what type of trains tey give. Using two types of trains on the system is that good?

17 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

It doesn't say how many though? I do know in the last round of Gas Money" the provnce gave OC money to buy two extra trains. The catch here is who wil bid and who wil win? If Alston wins they'll simply supply the sa,e trains presently. If Bombardier  wins not sure what type of trains tey give. Using two types of trains on the system is that good?

Two diffent types of trains running at the same time isn't the issue (TTC is a good example)  The issue would be if the other type of train running would be compatible with the current stock (if they were to be coupled in an emergency or multi unit operations in the future)

The above is the reason why the Talants were retired and sold as they were incompatible with the current stock and station layout.

Any new equipment would have to be compatible with the Alstom lints and other aspects of the line. 

I was actually surprised OC Transpo didn't add options for more lints when the first 6 were ordered.

But this is for the Trillium Line not Confederation line. Ones Electric the other Diesel.The thing is they have 6 trains presently and asuming Stage 2 gets its funding from the Feds and still gets it from the province, who many will thewy need.

Airprt Link 1 or 2)Thats where they should of run the Bombardier Talents.

Main line? at present 4? How many more? I have a feeling OC will run full service during rush hour 6-9/3-6 the whole lenght but between 9-3 &6-midnigh I only see 15-30 min service between South Keys & Bowmanville or what ever the name is for the farest new station.

I think they should sray with the Alstons Diesel trains.And when stage 2 opens up for the Confederation Line buy a few more Alstons(not sure how many)for the Confederation Line. This way tour system stays the same.

If there only going to use 1 train for the Airport link(from my understanding it'll be a seperate operation from the main link) why get rid of the Talents use them there 1 train for service the other as spare.

4 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

But this is for the Trillium Line not Confederation line. Ones Electric the other Diesel.The thing is they have 6 trains presently and asuming Stage 2 gets its funding from the Feds and still gets it from the province, who many will thewy need.

Airprt Link 1 or 2)Thats where they should of run the Bombardier Talents.

Main line? at present 4? How many more? I have a feeling OC will run full service during rush hour 6-9/3-6 the whole lenght but between 9-3 &6-midnigh I only see 15-30 min service between South Keys & Bowmanville or what ever the name is for the farest new station.

I think they should sray with the Alstons Diesel trains.And when stage 2 opens up for the Confederation Line buy a few more Alstons(not sure how many)for the Confederation Line. This way tour system stays the same.

If there only going to use 1 train for the Airport link(from my understanding it'll be a seperate operation from the main link) why get rid of the Talents use them there 1 train for service the other as spare.

I know it's for the Trillium line I used the TTC as an example.

As for why the Talents were retired 

They are incompatible with the Alstom Lints (Can't be joined together in an emergency)  i.e  if one was to become disabled somewhere between Walkley and the Airport. 

Liberals defer major tax pledge in 2017 federal budget

BILL CURRY AND ROBERT FIFE

OTTAWA — The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Mar. 22, 2017 4:31PM EDT

Last updated Thursday, Mar. 23, 2017 7:50AM EDT

Finance Minister Bill Morneau has put off tax hikes on wealthier Canadians, delivering a budget Wednesday that promises new money for job training, child care and social housing but offers no plan to improve the country’s debt outlook.

The revenue-strapped Trudeau government will run a $28.5-billion deficit for the coming fiscal year with no timeline to balance the books over the next five years.

As expected, the government’s second budget was largely about carving up the big spending plans announced in its first budget last year, with little new spending over and above what the Liberals had previously announced.

Federal budget highlights: 10 things you need to know

Rob Carrick: Ten ways the 2017 federal budget will affect your personal finances

U.S. President Donald Trump was not mentioned by name, but Mr. Morneau’s budget highlighted the sizable amount of uncertainty facing the Canadian economy largely because of outside factors. The budget noted that any U.S. actions on trade and taxes could potentially have a negative impact on Canada.

On Wednesday, Ottawa chose to hold off on a campaign pledge to raise billions in new revenue by closing tax loopholes that benefit high-income Canadians.

Mr. Trump has promised “massive” tax cuts, but details are not expected to emerge from Washington for months.

The Liberal budget does close some corporate tax loopholes. It also hikes taxes on alcohol, tobacco and ride-sharing services such as Uber and eliminates some targeted tax credits, including one that rewarded public-transit users.

The budget does not include plans to raise taxes on investment income such as capital gains, a topic that had been of particular concern on Bay Street in recent weeks.

But Mr. Morneau is promising to present a paper later this year that will outline potential tax changes that could affect upper-income earners, particularly those who use corporate structures to pay less tax.

Having already eliminated income splitting for families with children in their first budget, the Liberals are now setting their sights on private business structures that still allow couples to split income for tax purposes.

“Going forward, we will close loopholes that result in unfair tax advantages for some at the expense of others,” Mr. Morneau told the House of Commons.

Opposition parties said Mr. Morneau’s talk of taking on the rich is contradicted by the minister’s budget decisions.

Interim Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose slammed the Liberals for failing to rein in spending while nickel and diming working Canadians.

“The Prime Minister has decided to get rid of the benefit for public-transit passes, which of course are used by most low-income Canadians – particularly young people and students,” she said. “He’s also going to tax your beer. … [The budget] even taxes Uber and it clearly demonstrates that the Prime Minister is completely out of step with the challenges that regular ordinary people have when they’re trying to pay for the cost of living.”

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said there was little in the budget for Canadians struggling with rising costs and record household debt and questioned why the government is delaying tax hikes for the wealthy one per cent.

“It’s fair to say when you look at this budget, that the rich are getting what they want and ordinary Canadians are not getting what they need,” he said, pointing to the fact that the Liberals have not acted on a campaign promise to limit stock-option deductions.

The tax review is set to attract considerable attention over the coming year. It drew immediate concern from Canadian Federation of Small Business president Dan Kelly, who said tens of thousands of Canadians could potentially be affected.

Tax expert Kim Moody, who reviewed the budget for the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada, said those concerns are justified.

“It’s pretty obvious that private companies and their families are under the radar and under attack,” he said.

Canada’s high levels of household debt were listed as an ongoing risk to the economy, but the budget did not announce new measures to address concerns about overheated housing markets in Toronto and Vancouver.

The budget did announce $40-million over five years for Statistics Canada to develop a Housing Statistics Framework that will create a national database of residential transactions and track foreign home-buyer activity.

The deficit is forecast to jump from $23-billion in the current fiscal year to $28.5-billion in 2017-18, before declining to about $19-billion by 2021-22. Those figures include an adjustment for risk of $3-billion a year, a cushion that has been reinstated after Mr. Morneau dropped it in his fall economic update.

The budget forecast projects that the federal debt will shrink slightly as a percentage of GDP, from 31.5 per cent this year to 30.9 per cent in 2021-22. However, economists expressed concern that the budget does not include a target for eliminating the deficit. They warn that this puts federal finances at risk in the event of a recession or slower-than-expected growth.

“The problem is when you get some sort of shock,” said Randall Bartlett, chief economist with the University of Ottawa’s Institute of Fiscal Studies and Democracy. “It throws your debt-to-GDP ratio out the window entirely.”

At a news conference with reporters, Mr. Morneau repeatedly declined to offer a timeline for erasing the deficit, pointing instead to the government’s plans to keep the debt-to-GDP ratio in check.

The budget has a special focus on improving the lives of women in the work force. Ottawa will allow women to claim maternity benefits for up to 12 weeks before their due date and extend parental benefits for up to 18 months at a lower rate. Federally regulated businesses will also be required to allow flexible work hours.

The government committed $100-million to combat sexual violence against women – a last-minute budgetary measure as a result of The Globe and Mail’s investigation that found that one in five sexual-assault allegations in Canada are deemed “unfounded” or baseless by police.

The budget breaks down previously announced funds for social infrastructure, giving $7-billion over 10 years to fund child-care spaces and $11.2-billion over 11 years for affordable housing.

As expected, the budget did not provide any spending details on planned increases to the military. Those details will be included when a defence policy review is unveiled later this year. Billions of earmarked dollars to buy new equipment and buildings over the next 20 years was deferred.

There was a sprinkling of money to many Liberal priorities, including better legal aid for asylum seekers, rehabilitating inmates, establishing an LGBTQ2 secretariat within the Privy Council office, money for the arts and free Internet for disadvantaged families.

John Manley, President and CEO of the Business Council of Canada, said in a statement that the budget represents a cautious approach as Canada braces for major change in the United States.

“Right now, the sensible approach is to wait and see what comes out of Washington,” he said. “But make no mistake: if American policy makers move to cut personal and corporate taxes, Canada must respond.”

Breaking

I can't deduct 15% of my transit passes on my personal tax return

• 3 weeks later...

Councillors Mathieu Flurey and Tobi Nussbaum are to have meetings with OC Transpo management to discuss the poor level of service in their respective wards.

In the month of March there were 236 recorded cancellations of service in the area together with numerous delays, recorded incidents include a 90 minute gap on service 1 between Springfield and Rideau, gaps of 60 mins on the 9 at peak hours between Downtown and Hurdman , 20-30 minute gaps in service on the 12 at peak periods and  60 minute gaps on the 19, both councillors offices have been receiving numerous complaints from local residents regarding the level of service, local business have also voiced concerns as staff are often late for work due to cancellations and delays.

5 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

Councillors Mathieu Flurey and Tobi Nussbaum are to have meetings with OC Transpo management to discuss the poor level of service in their respective wards.

In the month of March there were 236 recorded cancellations of service in the area together with numerous delays, recorded incidents include a 90 minute gap on service 1 between Springfield and Rideau, gaps of 60 mins on the 9 at peak hours between Downtown and Hurdman , 20-30 minute gaps in service on the 12 at peak periods and  60 minute gaps on the 19, both councillors offices have been receiving numerous complaints from local residents regarding the level of service, local business have also voiced concerns as staff are often late for work due to cancellations and delays.

Finally, when is this? And who got these numbers! :P