GOA transit news, info etc

5 hours ago, JCL said:

One of the train sets had derailed shortly before all 3 were replaced with the Alstom units.  Although there is no indication from this URL, there was talk that specific unit was a write off.  Anyone know if that's still the case?

12 hours ago, JCL said:

Interesting that they are selling off the three Bombardier Talents. I would hope they keep at least one for historical purposes like they do with some old buses and the streetcar. 

Going to be a tough sell. Especially with the kind of wear and tear involved in the train sets. 

Hopefully the qualified bidder will take good care of these Bombardier Talent trains. Especially when the O-Train was a trial before they hoped to further expand. 

11 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

From what I have been told from a very reliable source driver shortages were the explanation for the excessive amount of cancellations last weekend

With Christmas holidays, I guess some really wanted to take the day off by calling in sick. Or just didn't want to travel the long distance depending on distance from the assigned transit yard. 

Though, I do think driver shortages shouldn't really happen. Especially when people depend on them to get from Point A to B in a timely manner. 

I would have liked to see at least the two working Talents used for the Stage 2 airport service (as opposed to that stupid trunk/shuttle arrangement that was proposed that IMO has no hope of ever working), that way a whole bunch of new equipment wouldn't need to be purchased all at once. Then again, this is the city of Ottawa we are talking about here.

12 minutes ago, HB_1024 said:

I would have liked to see at least the two working Talents used for the Stage 2 airport service (as opposed to that stupid trunk/shuttle arrangement that was proposed that IMO has no hope of ever working), that way a whole bunch of new equipment wouldn't need to be purchased all at once. Then again, this is the city of Ottawa we are talking about here.

Would be nice , though they are incompatible with the lints (Operational and Compatability issues with mixed fleet operations) 

Givin that the Talents do not meet current Transport Canada Regulations I can see them heading back over the pond ( more then likely Db or another rail operator in Europe)

Any news on the STO possible strike? In the news it was mentionned that they were deciding back during the week of December 19th if it should be deemed an Essential Service or not, but no news since if this was passed.

Also, any pictures of the fare gate installations at the Trillium line stations?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, sseguin said:

Also, any pictures of the fare gate installations at the Trillium line stations?

Thanks.

Here's Confederation Stn taken back at the beginning of December. Greenboro is becoming a Fare Paid Stn ( must pay to enter both the bus platform and Trillium line (extension to the Main Entrance. )

IMG_1710.JPG

12 hours ago, sseguin said:

Thanks for the picture. Any idea which fare gate system is being used? Will it be the same the TTC have in their subway stations or similar?

OC Transpo is purchasing the faregates from Scheidt and Bachmann, the same company that made the TTC gates. I expect them to be the same model (PG20 I believe) that the TTC has, but with the addition of a barcode reader to read bus transfers. They are also purchasing TVMs from Scheidt & Bachmann, but unlike Toronto's SSRMs, these models will be off-the-shelf and take cash and/or coins.

7 hours ago, OCtranspo10 said:

Indy is open on New Years Eve for Extra's only. Possibility for Double Deckers to be coming out :) 

2 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Highly unlikely as Oc doesn't want the DD's out late at night (even though it's happened in the past) 

Confirmed. No double deckers will be scheduled for tomorrow evening, despite extras being dispatched out of Industrial Garage. 

There are 150 additional extras out tomorrow night. Any of these runs that start out of the garage prior to 8pm will have one inbound scheduled trip (an additional supplement trip to the existing Saturday schedule) on a route that goes through Downtown before becoming an extra for post-event activities (similar to Canada Day after the fireworks). 

An article regarding the Baseline Road rapid transit corridor: 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-baseline-road-transit-corridor-concerns-1.3919275

The cost is $160 million dollars to build 13.8 kilometres of bus rapid transit. At the same time, it will require a lot of property acquisition and dealing with opposition from residents against this project. Along with how some prefer curbside transit stops instead of median. 

It is going to be a difficult and long battle before anything does get built.

Comments on the situation: 

I know that the current route 118 has reliability problems. Especially if one doesn't show up, another one will have to carry the additional load. Along with traffic during certain time periods also not helping with reliability problems. I know one friend he would simply take a different route to the college. Especially when it is well known that 118 is the most direct way to get to Algonquin from Billings Bridge. 

Route 111 also goes there, but takes a much longer path towards the college. It drops people off at Baseline Station where as with the 118, it drops people off in front of residence and register's office when the college is open of course. 

Final comments:

It is going to be a long battle before any construction starts. Especially when they are hoping for 2018 to start work. It may be delayed another few years if there is funding issues or opposition still going on. Especially with the property acquisition issue. 

On December 1, 2016 at 11:55 PM, tomsbuspage said:

The STO announced today that a new transferable, no-photo Occasional Multi card is now available at its customer service locations.  The card normally costs $8 and requires a minimum initial balance of $10, but it will be issued for free until the end of January.  The per-ride fare will be the same as the PME fare, and will include a two-hour transfer on the STO or OC Transpo.

I picked up an STO Occasional Multi card this morning, which is available to all customers, not just Quebec residents--the STO's website is unclear about this detail as it says that only Quebec residents may obtain a Multi card, and then lists the Occasional card as a sub-type.  I was told that it will replace paper tickets and that it is specifically intended to allow OC Transpo customers to start a trip on an STO bus if their Presto card is set up with an e-purse.  I was asked for photo ID and they enter your name, address and phone number into their computer system, and your name is printed on the card.  However, the card has no photo and is transferable as indicated on the STO's website.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

I picked up an STO Occasional Multi card this morning, which is available to all customers, not just Quebec residents--the STO's website is unclear about this detail as it says that only Quebec residents may obtain a Multi card, and then lists the Occasional card as a sub-type.  I was told that it will replace paper tickets and that it is specifically intended to allow OC Transpo customers to start a trip on an STO bus if their Presto card is set up with an e-purse.  I was asked for photo ID and they enter your name, address and phone number into their computer system, and your name is printed on the card.  However, the card has no photo and is transferable as indicated on the STO's website.

Got mine tonight, though the agent on duty @ De La Citè at first said it was for Quebec residents only but Double checked and issued it. 

Unlike the Presto card where it can be shared with anyone, The Multi Occasional can only be shared with members of the same family (Since ones family name is printed on it) 

The Occasional Multi

Simple and easy to use, as its name suggests, this pass is ideal for occasional trips! In addition to using it like an e-wallet, this new Multi is transferable so it can be shared easily among riders in the same family. No matter who uses it, the Occasional Multi lets you pay for your trip using an e-fare. It can be loaded at the service points and retail outlets.