GOA transit news, info etc

I was talking to my friend (works for OC), and he said that OC Transpo will be getting AAs soon. I also heard about this in the news (sometime last month), so, just as confirmation, is OC Transpo really getting AAs soon? The only dates that I know so far, is that they might get them at around the end of this year.

ISMichael. :(

I was talking to my friend (works for OC), and he said that OC Transpo will be getting AAs soon. I also heard about this in the news (sometime last month), so, just as confirmation, is OC Transpo really getting AAs soon? The only dates that I know so far, is that they might get them at around the end of this year.

I heards sometime in 2010?

but with this AA will it anounce every single stop or just the main ones?

I know the TTC has it but I'm not sure if annouces ervery single stop like two streets you really never heard of.

example two side streets in Orleansd on some local route and will it be bilingual?

I heards sometime in 2010?

but with this AA will it anounce every single stop or just the main ones?

I know the TTC has it but I'm not sure if annouces ervery single stop like two streets you really never heard of.

example two side streets in Orleansd on some local route and will it be bilingual?

The TTC AAs does not announce every stop. Just the ones that have been programmed into the system. (Ask a T.O. Cptdb member for more info, prolly knows more about it then me)

ISMichael :(

From my observations they do not. Next time your in Toronto pal, ride the 6 BAY from Bloor to Ferry Docks and see for your self. The announcements doesn't say every stop once it gets near Queen.

ISMichael :P

On the southbound #6 that I was on this past Monday, every southbound service stop was announced between Hagerman St. (where I boarded) and Harbour St. (where I disembarked).

And to the best of my recollection, every single service stop has been announced on every TTC bus or streetcar I've ridden since automated announcements began.

6-transfer.jpg :-)

From my observations they do not. Next time your in Toronto pal, ride the 6 BAY from Bloor to Ferry Docks and see for your self. The announcements doesn't say every stop once it gets near Queen.

ISMichael :)

The TTC announcing system does announce every single stop. Here's an example of a video that was uploaded recently by "046547717" -

On the southbound #6 that I was on this past Monday, every southbound service stop was announced between Hagerman St. (where I boarded) and Harbour St. (where I disembarked).

And to the best of my recollection, every single service stop has been announced on every TTC bus or streetcar I've ridden since automated announcements began.

6-transfer.jpg :-)

All TTC surface stops are announced. If announcements are missed it's due to a problem with the system. On 6 BAY, announcements can sometimes be missed due to the GPS not seeing the bus through the tall buildings in the area south of Queen... but it's not intentional and I'm sure they'll find a way around that eventually.

1986 STATION LAYOUTS

(Big images on purpose for detailed viewing)

station_layout1.png station_layout2.png

I was bored, so I made a timetable from a real route from my copy of the Sept 1986 map. The dates on the timetable is made up (except the Sept 86 of course).

For entertainment use only, and feel to print it out. I made it in it's size so that when you print it out, and cut it, it's almost the same size as the current timetables.

timetable_128.png

I was bored, so I made a timetable from a real route from my copy of the Sept 1986 map. The dates on the timetable is made up (except the Sept 86 of course).

For entertainment use only, and feel to print it out. I made it in it's size so that when you print it out, and cut it, it's almost the same size as the current timetables.

timetable_128.png

ISMichael. :)

I remember old route 128, but it never went to Shopper's City East. It was actually a two-way loop that turned right onto Ogilvie from Bathgate and went straight to St. Laurent from there. Runs that operated first along St. Laurent, Donald, and Cummings were signed Local North while those that ran along Ogilvie first were signed Local East. The route was replaced in 1989 by the 198 (now 129) and a route 5 extension from downtown. Also, on Sundays the buses ran in only one direction.

Another interesting bit of trivia is that before the system-wide renumbering in the mid-1980s the 128 was numbered 185. I lived only three blocks away from the route at the time and got to ride it extensively. It was mostly served by 30' Orion I buses. :lol:

OLD BAYSHORE TERMINAL (PRE-TRANSITWAY)

Today, I spent the day with M.Wright to go find the old Bayshore terminal. To our amazement, this is our result of what was left.

1) This shows the exact spot where the old terminal was. All that is left is the old green bench, and the platform.

old_bayshore_1.png

2)Another thing that was found at the platform, was evidence of the markings where the Red Transitway Sign was placed. (As circled in red.)

old_bayshore_2.png

3)This here shows how the old platform that served 'all' bus routes (available at Bayshore) was very convenient as it was right in front of the Bayshore S.C. Entrance.

old_bayshore_3.png

4)After figuring out where exactly the bus entered the parking lot, we found that the only possible way was from the ramp that was connected from Richmond which would get buses from it, and on the 417, into the terminal. In the other picture with the yellow circle, it shows proof that buses ran there, because of the traces of carbon that came from the buses exhaust pipe when they had to stop at the Stop sign at the end of the ramp, then accelerate.

old_bayshore_4.png

5)The actual layout of the Bayshore terminal (from 1984) before the Transitway was built, proving that the location we assumed was the old location, was accurately true.

old_bayshore_5.png

ISMichael. <_<

I was bored, so I made a timetable from a real route from my copy of the Sept 1986 map.

Bored? Try route 4 from the 1984 map. Destination signs were "Overbrook" and "Gloucester South/Sud".

Starting at St. Laurent terminal, the route followed Coventry, St. Laurent, Sandridge, Birch, Hemlock, Beechwood, St. Patrick, Cobourg, Rideau, Wellington, Bank, Catherine, Bronson, Riverside into Billings Bridge, Data Centre, Heron, Riverside, Brookfield, Flannery, Springland, Walkley, McCarthy, Plante, McCarthy, Paul Anka, Uplands, Downpatrick, and Hunt Club to Bank Street where the route ended. The reverse was the same except the buses used Chamberlain and Kent Streets instead of Bank and Catherine.

So basically the route is now covered by the 7, 4, 140, 146 and 87 on various parts of its old route. :P

ST.LAURENT TRANSITWAY STATION - BUS BAYS (Upper Level)

Thanks to Wright for showing me.

After the transitway was built, the original station layout was built with a number of bus bays. Years later, the bus bays were removed and the platforms were all straightened out. But today, M.Wright noticed traces of the old bus bays all over the station, and myself, notice the old markings on the pavement of the locations of the old bus shelters.

As a reference, this 1984 layout will give the general idea of where the bus bays were located.

station_layout3.png

The following pictures were taken today, and for each image, their will be the original picture, and a picture highlighting the bus bays.

stl_bays_1.png stl_bays_2.png stl_bays_3.png

It is expected, that the upper level will be closed for the summer, due to renovations (have not yet been confirmed) so now is probably the only time you will ever get the chance to see the traces of the old bus bays.

ISMichael. <_<

Looking at those pics right now I figured out why they might of used bus bays in the olden days. This way while walking down the platform, you could easily see what the bus is signed up as.

I'm pretty certain on this theory as the pylon rollsign would be in the correct position for it to be highly visible.

Bored? Try route 4 from the 1984 map. Destination signs were "Overbrook" and "Gloucester South/Sud".

Starting at St. Laurent terminal, the route followed Coventry, St. Laurent, Sandridge, Birch, Hemlock, Beechwood, St. Patrick, Cobourg, Rideau, Wellington, Bank, Catherine, Bronson, Riverside into Billings Bridge, Data Centre, Heron, Riverside, Brookfield, Flannery, Springland, Walkley, McCarthy, Plante, McCarthy, Paul Anka, Uplands, Downpatrick, and Hunt Club to Bank Street where the route ended. The reverse was the same except the buses used Chamberlain and Kent Streets instead of Bank and Catherine.

So basically the route is now covered by the 7, 4, 140, 146 and 87 on various parts of its old route. ^_^

I just followed the route, that would actually make a great charter route.

So basically the route is now covered by the 7, 4, 140, 146 and 87 on various parts of its old route. ^_^

I just followed the route, that would actually make a great charter route.

I checked the old map and I forgot to mention that the route also served Island Lodge and Carleton U., so add routes 5 and/or 306 to the mix. :)

Transit Terminal Diagrams dating from a March 1984 System Map. (Reusing and crediting as your own is prohibited)

Enjoy, and Happy Easter!

BTW, I have attached a shot from Google Maps showing what the old St. Laurent terminal looks like today.

St_Laurent_Google.jpg