favorite transitway station

rider1

St. Laurent Station, since it is the only "subway"(It is underground, to some degree), and Campus station. I like how Campus is intergrated with U of O campus.

Also close to the new Somerset Street footbridge, which more than a few people, including some councillors, thought wasn't needed. From the day it opened it's been well used.

My favorite stations were

Hurdman because it was the first real station in the east( imho)

St. Laurent as its partly underground

And even tho i only saw it from a distance Fallowfield station looked cool.

Stupidest station was Orleans and then Iris lol calling THAT a station.

• 3 years later...

My Favorite is a toss-up between Lincoln Fields and St. Laurent. I'm new to the CPTDB and would like to also say hi to all. I currently live in Edmonton(past 5 years) but raised in Ottawa and am an OC Transpo junkie!

My Favorite is a toss-up between Lincoln Fields and St. Laurent. I'm new to the CPTDB and would like to also say hi to all. I currently live in Edmonton(past 5 years) but raised in Ottawa and am an OC Transpo junkie!

welcome to the board ;)

my fav station in ottawa would be billings bridge & hurdman

Well I like Billings Bridge

Since we're talking about Transitway Stations and such from a booklet that was published when the transitway first opened. It should be noted that alot has changed when the transitway first open til now

Route Changes

Bus Route renumbering

even heated stations!!

When they first opened the stations had no heat or total enclosed areas with doors.

the first 15 pcs show the Transitway when it first open with routes & numbering and info about the Transitway.

The last 3 pics are pic 16 shows modifacations to the Shelters for being enckosed with doors and such, pic 17 & 18 tells about a downtown core.

The last 3 pics are courtesy of Transit News Canada/CPTDB member Mark Walton.

To bad its no longer produced it was a good sourcew on Canadian transit especialy on OC Transpo.

Batch 1

Batch 2

Batch 3

batch 4

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0013.jpg

scan0014.jpg

scan0015.jpg

scan0016.jpg

scan0017.jpg

scan0018.jpg

Well I like Billings Bridge

Since we're talking about Transitway Stations and such from a booklet that was published when the transitway first opened. It should be noted that alot has changed when the transitway first open til now

Route Changes

Bus Route renumbering

even heated stations!!

When they first opened the stations had no heat or total enclosed areas with doors.

the first 15 pcs show the Transitway when it first open with routes & numbering and info about the Transitway.

The last 3 pics are pic 16 shows modifacations to the Shelters for being enckosed with doors and such, pic 17 & 18 tells about a downtown core.

The last 3 pics are courtesy of Transit News Canada/CPTDB member Mark Walton.

To bad its no longer produced it was a good sourcew on Canadian transit especialy on OC Transpo.

Interesting how they describe the "Ageing [sic] 5307" in pic 18. Assuming this was published in the late 1980's, I wonder if they could foresee that the 78xx buses would still be running in 2006? ;)

BTW, my favourite station is St. Laurent because it most resembles a subway station with a local bus platform. I have a newspaper photo on my website from the mid-1980s, and yes, that is a T6H-5305 in the foreground. Also, every bus in the photo been retired. Talk about change!

OC7015.jpg

The whole idea of placing the stops on the other side of the intersection with Iris still confuses me.
I realize I am replying to a post that is 4 years old but I will say it for the record. The reason Iris is designed like that is to allow buses to not have to stop for the traffic light as if the stop is after the traffic light, the bus can load and unload while the light is red and still continue on it's way. Since the loop is placed far enough away, if the bus is going the speed limit, it won't have to stop at all. Of course this doesn't work if a bus went through the light before your bus.

This is a common practice in Ottawa at intersections, even on the street.

Anyway to reply to this topic, my favorite has to be the current Cyrville Station. No one uses it so you have the entire station to yourself late at night, in the winter it is heated all the time (not one of those push buttons) and for those 2 reasons, I love it. It's kept me warm at least 5 times this winter. There is one thing I hate about it and that is to change directions. You have to cross Cyrville where cars are doing like 80 kph with no traffic light in the immediate area.

Among my favorites:

St. Laurent (Always has been a favorite since my first visit in August 2003), because it's the only underground Transitway station, with a subway/LRT feel, and a transit center right above it. The buses really roar through there in both directions, and you can blaze through there relatively fast without stopping.

Hurdman (Always has been a favorite since '03), because of the many directions that buses seem to fly, it's the last transfer between the East and Southeast Transitways, and because of the layover lot right next to it...

Mackenzie-King (Always has been a favorite since '03), because it's by the mall, and the queue of buses during rush hours (sometimes 10-15 buses deep in either direction) makes for some interesting busfanning...

Place d'Orleans (A new favorite of mine, first time visited June 2009), because of the activity over there, the overpass, the two different bus stations, and it's off 174

Tunney's Pasture (Another new favorite of mine since April 2008), because it's below the surface, has this cavernous LRT feel, and you can blaze through at relatively high speed, and because of it's walls...

--Dr. Casca

Live from New York

I realize I am replying to a post that is 4 years old but I will say it for the record. The reason Iris is designed like that is to allow buses to not have to stop for the traffic light as if the stop is after the traffic light, the bus can load and unload while the light is red and still continue on it's way. Since the loop is placed far enough away, if the bus is going the speed limit, it won't have to stop at all. Of course this doesn't work if a bus went through the light before your bus.

This is a common practice in Ottawa at intersections, even on the street.

Anyway to reply to this topic, my favorite has to be the current Cyrville Station. No one uses it so you have the entire station to yourself late at night, in the winter it is heated all the time (not one of those push buttons) and for those 2 reasons, I love it. It's kept me warm at least 5 times this winter. There is one thing I hate about it and that is to change directions. You have to cross Cyrville where cars are doing like 80 kph with no traffic light in the immediate area.

Not to mention supervisors/enforcement shouting at you if you open the salt storage container. <_<

The one(s) I would like to see(though technically not built yet)Lebreton & downtoewn tunnel stations. True there is a station built there(Lebreton), but with the "supposely" LRT (if it ever gets built) would need to modified as well the downtown LRT stations when they "actually get built. thats something I"d like to see at least before I retire or am 6 feet under.

True youhave a CGI of what it mioght look like, but actually see it would be better or at least a model you could see and touch at least then you'd get a "feel" what it might look like.

The one(s) I would like to see(though technically not built yet)Lebreton & downtoewn tunnel stations. True there is a station built there(Lebreton), but with the "supposely" LRT (if it ever gets built) would need to modified as well the downtown LRT stations when they "actually get built. thats something I"d like to see at least before I retire or am 6 feet under.

True youhave a CGI of what it mioght look like, but actually see it would be better or at least a model you could see and touch at least then you'd get a "feel" what it might look like.

In the diagram in the LRT plan, Lebreton will look NOTHING like it does today. If anything it'll look more like what Lees looks like.

But I agree, I would like to see the real deal. Not some diagram.

Blair has an honest and decent design to it... a friend whose a civil engineer made me appreciate it more than St. Laurent which I loved when I first went through it. Pretty much agreed with most of Dr. Casca's post above... really like Mackenzie King and I'm alright with Hurdman especially approaching it from the river and seeing this major transit terminal in the middle of a field. I love the untapped potential at LeBreton. I like the original Baseline... I guess I'll miss it when it's gone. Bayshore also hasn't been tapped to its fullest potential.

Dominion is my least favourite "station".