mike from edmonton

Edmonton BBC's

2,912 posts in this topic

OMG # 111 getting refurbed ! :lol: The first bus to get brought up to snuff and now it's getting refurbed. Wow. Great News.

I was randomly looking through Ashtons ETS Pictures and I came across this picture and according to the fleet number it's a BBC but the front says otherwise. So what is it? It's 159

ets160-159.jpg

159 is a BBC trolley. It picked up the "GMC" plate at some point in its life, presumably when it went to Toronto in the early 1990s. 159, incidentally, is now in storage and not in active service.

See Martin's photo here.

159 is a BBC trolley. It picked up the "GMC" plate at some point in its life, presumably when it went to Toronto in the early 1990s. 159, incidentally, is now in storage and not in active service.

See Martin's photo here.

Okay thanks.

post some shots of 117

those were obviously from just after they brought it over from cromdale i take it

Actually that picture was taken on the south road at Westwood about two - four weeks after she had been pulled from Cromdale.

Upon arrival from Cromdale she was parked on the north road, far east end of the line, then moved to the south road for about two more weeks.

She then disappeared for two weeks, but re-surfaced on November 4th when she appeared behind 162 fresh from cromdale

**word of warning, my pictures from November 4th are with Martin, she looks worse, LOTS worse :angry:

Actually that picture was taken on the south road at Westwood about two - four weeks after she had been pulled from Cromdale.

Upon arrival from Cromdale she was parked on the north road, far east end of the line, then moved to the south road for about two more weeks.

She then disappeared for two weeks, but re-surfaced on November 4th when she appeared behind 162 fresh from cromdale

**word of warning, my pictures from November 4th are with Martin, she looks worse, LOTS worse :angry:

# 162 was a VERY GOOD bus. It was Don's favorite. It is so sad to hear about the fate of this bus. Sorry, but it holds a lot of fond memories. :)

# 162 was a VERY GOOD bus. It was Don's favorite. It is so sad to hear about the fate of this bus. Sorry, but it holds a lot of fond memories. :angry:

here is the very good 162 at the very good southgate :)

Thanks for the pics. It's not Don driving it, but Unit #162 still looks very majestic. I like how trolleys kick up the snow. Geoff likes that too most of all. He's very sweet. It's difficult to believe he used to be a renegade. But then there are those who just naturally defy normal and rise above it. I think the best trolley drivers are those that are a bit 'renegade' in nature. Those who just 'blend in' never rise above their limitations.

They end up at Ferrier driving diesel (with all due respect to Ernie, who should be driving a trolley).

Unit # 193 was on Run 502 today. It was suffering some rear door / interlock /air issues. It got C/O at 95 Street and 118 Avenue with Unit # 181.

I remember riding 181 a while ago. Is it the only one in service that still has the small TTC fleet numbers?

181mc9.th.jpg

I remember riding 181 a while ago. Is it the only one in service that still has the small TTC fleet numbers?

181mc9.th.jpg

I believe it is. If you look closely at the fleet numbers, you can also see the telltale residue of where the "9" used to be. TTC tacked a 9 onto the beginning of the fleet numbers of all the ETS units they leased.

181noui2.jpg

ets181g.jpg

It seems also that up until a year or so ago, the attempt at scratching off the 9 on the front of the bus wasn't very effective, and there is now a black sticker covering the residue.

It is also the only one to have large fleet numbers on the rear window, as per TTC specs. :P

Yep, 181 is the only one with small fleet numbers, as all the other ones put back into service in 2004 were either non-TTC BBC's (102,125,143,179) or had been returned to service in the 1990's, before being sent into storage and thus had their big ETS replaced (163,168,172,180,189,192 (which never the ETS numbers in Toronto)). At the same time as these ones were brought out, a fair number of trolleys that had been in storage since their return from Toronto were considered for return. Ultimately, only 181 was put back into service, and the rest were sent back to Cromdale.

Also, some notes on 193. During its refurb, it has lost its front BBC nameplate (anyone want to own up). Also, the rear window area has been replaced, but it still has its old fleet numbers (like 121,140 and 161).

181mc9.th.jpg

During its refurb, it has lost its front BBC nameplate (anyone want to own up). Also, the rear window area has been replaced, but it still has its old fleet numbers (like 121,140 and 161).

What does it have in place of the GM nameplate, or do we have another bus like 4012 running around nameplate less?

If the rear window area has been replaced, so have the numbers as the numbers are on the rear window area.

Circled in red, is what I call the "rear window area". I have a pic of this piece off of a bus sitting in a scrap bin... somewhere....

0316.jpg

0316.jpg

0316.jpg

post-47-1164242522_thumb.jpg

I noticed that 4012 doesn't have a nameplate. I see that bus every second day or so, so this has been driving me crazy :P

What does it have in place of the GM nameplate, or do we have another bus like 4012 running around nameplate less?

If the rear window area has been replaced, so have the numbers as the numbers are on the rear window area.

Plateless.

And I think the paint around the rear window was just touched up, rather than replaced entirely.

At least the thing is running. On Monday 193 was changed off because there seemed to be no air in the rear door line. Post-refurb post-traumatic stress disorder?

I noticed that 4012 doesn't have a nameplate. I see that bus every second day or so, so this has been driving me crazy :P

Yep. That bus has been like that ever since it was sent down to the old Telus, now DATS garage, by Paterson a few summers ago. Someone must have thought it was being retired and decided to hang onto a souvenir.

On Monday 193 was changed off because there seemed to be no air in the rear door line. Post-refurb post-traumatic stress disorder?

Exactly, however not serious as it was doing fine on the Route 135 yesterday and today :lol: I swear, every refurb comes down with a PTSD of some sort. Although I don't think Unit # 155 came down with anything yet :P

Plateless.

And I think the paint around the rear window was just touched up, rather than replaced entirely.

At least the thing is running. On Monday 193 was changed off because there seemed to be no air in the rear door line. Post-refurb post-traumatic stress disorder?

Bill has 193 this morning and it is running awesome

Bill has 193 this morning and it is running awesome

Sweet. Gotta Run and catch him ! No Fires yet today :P:lol::blink:

It's about half and half for refurbs that get PTSD. 128,133,148,155,179,195 and 198 all had almost nothing go wrong with them once they came back. 121,124,135,193 all had some minor problems on coming back. 129 and 183 has some major issue post refurb, and vanished for months. And, of course, dear old 140 is still nowhere in sight after vanishing in January.

Exactly, however not serious as it was doing fine on the Route 135 yesterday and today :lol: I swear, every refurb comes down with a PTSD of some sort. Although I don't think Unit # 155 came down with anything yet :P

Pre-refurb 193 has some corrosion on the lower-left side of the rear window, and some rust right underneath the window. Those are both gone now, but it still has its old rear numbers, again, just like 121,140 and 161. So, 193 may have gotten the rear window area repaired, not replaced.

Circled in red, is what I call the "rear window area". I have a pic of this piece off of a bus sitting in a scrap bin... somewhere....

Pre-refurb 193 has some corrosion on the lower-left side of the rear window, and some rust right underneath the window. Those are both gone now, but it still has its old rear numbers, again, just like 121,140 and 161. So, 193 may have gotten the rear window area repaired, not replaced.

Briefly looking... with out thinking... at 193 today... It looks to me as though the entire rear window area was replaced.

AFAIK, 161's entire rear window area was replaced... and I took a good look at it as it was one of the few (only?) non refurbed trolleys to get it replaced... after virtually the entire diesel fleet had had that area replaced years before.

There was fresh white paint up along the sides of the windows... I won't know until I see my photos tomorrow, but, I'm sure there was fresh white paint above the rear window as well. If there was fresh white paint above the rear window... and it was the original rear window area and it was just patched up rather than replaced... and it really does have it's orginal numbers... that means someone took the time to mask off the letters and/or hand paint around them...

It probably has the same style of lettering as it did pre-refurb, but, I suspect the whole rear window area was replaced.

After all... you note that the corrosion was below the window... so if that was just fixed (probably Bondo), why paint all the way up the sides of the window if that area wasn't fixed up?

I don't know if this is ironic, but 4012 was involved in some kind of incident with a trainee behind the wheel. I guess more than the nameplate is missing now.

A lady was apparently giving birth, or about to, on the Churchill platform - ambulance took her to the hospital though.