Ontario Human Rights Comission

D4500

Buschic, maybe your fighting too hard and need some rest.. :(.... but we do appreciated all your efforts.. *thumbs up*

lol, Nope, I NEVER quit fighting for my friends, and EVERY TRANSIT driver deserves a hug, if it was not for Transit drivers, I wouldent be here.... long story, but suffice to say, I've had a hard life and I thank god EVERY DAY for them...

Hugs to You..

lol, Nope, I NEVER quit fighting for my friends, and EVERY TRANSIT driver deserves a hug, if it was not for Transit drivers, I wouldent be here.... long story, but suffice to say, I've had a hard life and I thank god EVERY DAY for them...

Hugs to You..

and same to you!

QUOTE (buschic @ Jan 22 2009, 03:04 AM)

in⋅de⋅pend⋅ence

   –noun

2. freedom from the control, influence, support, aid, or the like, of others.

This is a major issue. I don't believe anybody here is arguing the need for stops to be called out. This is not an argument between the sighted and sight impaired, IMHO. But to expect driver's (HUMAN BEINGS) to take the place of a machine until Waterloo Region decides to spend the money is BS. If they can find 25 million to implement rapid transit along with a job posting for a Rapid Transit Director at 100,000 to 127,000 salary per year (NOT A NECESSITY) then they can certainly implement an automated system for the visually and hearing impaired. (A NECESSITY). Human rights are applicable to ALL - whether they can or cannot see, hear, talk, walk, touch - whatever the disability or degree of functioning.

There is the right way and then there is the easy way out. There are certain people who just don't get it and mostly these are the people who discriminate. Just as some people are discriminating against the blind out of ignorance of their disability, other people are discriminating against the driver's out of their ignorance of what their job requires of them. There IS a solution here that doesn't trample on anyone rights.

Buschic can see it, which is more than I can say for the Region of Waterloo and sadly the Human Rights Commission itself.

• 3 weeks later...

CKtransit has a pilot project that uses a new cd player with remote and a disc with the stops for each route on it and have it announce on the PA system instead of the driver...so far its not to bad but not all the driver are getting a hang of it. So far the drivers are announcing the stops without the help of any device(mic,etc) just with the power of there own voice.

Arguments all around over the implementation of the automated stop announcements in Sudbury:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1453062

It's funny how yet another transit director says right of the bat that it's too much of a distraction for the drivers... yet GRT continues to put it's hands in the air and say "we're in complience it's the union that wont do it". I wihs Regional Management would grow a pair and stand behind what it knows is right.

It's funny how yet another transit director says right of the bat that it's too much of a distraction for the drivers... yet GRT continues to put it's hands in the air and say "we're in complience it's the union that wont do it". I wihs Regional Management would grow a pair and stand behind what it knows is right.
It looks like you are right. It looks as though the union has stand up and do it because management just dumped it on the workers and said "here now its your problem". I think they have a rough road to go. Win or lose at least they tried.

Thunder Bay's bus stops didn't have names, so they gave them names. They range from "Brown Street at Brock Street" to "Opposite 570 Fort William Road at Opposite Transit Office". No problem at all! :blink: Earlier today I was at "Memorial Avenue at Opposite Wendy's" and I have to tell you, the Opposite Burgers they sell at Opposite Wendy's are very Opposite Good.

• 2 weeks later...
The City of Greater Sudbury is turning into the City of Greater Nova.

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/LocalNews/...ry=bus120309005

It's amaizing how all the other property's on Ontario seem to have the money to implement an auto-stop system but the RoW. It must be harder times than we thought.

Oh BTW hows the rapid train system working out. OOoops theres that nasty sarcasm-itis kicking in again.

Oh BTW hows the rapid train system working out. OOoops theres that nasty sarcasm-itis kicking in again.

:D They're finishing up phase 2, step 3, and phase 3 (they're done at the same time apparently) and will be having public meetings to complete phase 2 & 3 in the spring. After the public meeting results are worked out, the EA will be complete and sent off to council.

In fact, it appears that they are right on schedule, and perhaps even ahead of schedule: http://transitea.region.waterloo.on.ca/ind...2&Itemid=14

So the rapid transit system is working out just nicely. Thanks for asking. :D

• 3 months later...

Thread Bump:

Barbara Hall and her cronies are at it again, I'm a little surprised they haven't come after GRT yet considering our AA system won't be in till next year (at the earliest), yet Sudbury's and Hamilton's will be finished within 2 months ...

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/596102

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/LocalNews/...y=transit070709

Thread Bump:

Barbara Hall and her cronies are at it again, I'm a little surprised they haven't come after GRT yet considering our AA system won't be in till next year (at the earliest), yet Sudbury's and Hamilton's will be finished within 2 months ...

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/596102

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/LocalNews/...y=transit070709

Barbara Hall must be bored and needs some proof that her job is needed.. LOL.... Maybe she should go announce stops for the systems that have not yet been announcing stops.. either that or give the money to provide funds for automated systems...

I wouldn't say that they are a joke.. just that they overstep their boundries too many times thinking they are all high and mighty!

I definitely wouldn't say they are a joke and I think saying so is offensive. I don't think they are trying to be high and mighty either; I do, however, think that they can loose sight of what is fair and ideal, and what is practical. Then again, it's not their job to investigate the practicality of their rulings - something which perhaps should be reviewed.

The OHRC needs to stop whining learn some practical thinking skills. Hamilton is doing very well in accommodating the disabled and their moving forward faster than most other systems I can think of (can't speak for the other two systems listed).

I remember when they were on London's ass for not having their automated system up fast enough. Sigh.

I'm so glad OC Transpo falls under federal regulation. Because of this, we are only forced to call out the major stops and we don't have the OHRC complaining about everything we do, as I'm sure if we were under provincial regulations they would be complaining about how we only call out the major stops.