BusFanForever

TTC GM Life Extension

They sure did!

Burlington_Transit_7047-82-b.jpg

I believe there is a photo floating around of five transit fans posing in front of that bus, one of whom is sitting on the folded down bike rack. No names mentioned... :D

No, the TTCs currently got Fishies from the 80s.

No shit Sherlock.

If you did any research whatsoever though, you would have found out that the New Look design dates back to 1958.

Dan

I believe there is a photo floating around of five transit fans posing in front of that bus, one of whom is sitting on the folded down bike rack. No names mentioned... :D

Wow. It actually looks decent.

I have wondered how a bike rack would look on a fishbowl.

Try picturing it. If you're having trouble then try picturing a classic or a dreadful D40HF with one. A bus having it is a bus having it. It's that simple.

I don't need to picture a D40HF with one, because I remember when Denny Yip had an avatar of a photoshopped D40HF wearing a bike rack. :D

No shit Sherlock.

If you did any research whatsoever though, you would have found out that the New Look design dates back to 1958.

Dan

I've know that for a long time. When I said "80s bus" I was talking about the period that the Fishies for the TTc were built. I know the New Look was introduced in 1959.

I've know that for a long time. When I said "80s bus" I was talking about the period that the Fishies for the TTc were built.

This stretch of the thread was talking about the design and appearance of the New Look - which is no where close to the 1980s.

At no point whatsoever did the age of the vehicles come into question.

Dan

I completely agree, Fishbowls RULE, Hybrids bow to the FISHBOWL.....

For Sure!! GM buses are a class act. Back in the late 50's, they were overengineered and the proof of that is still on the road today in many cities. Pretty sad case for Orion when the TTC has to rebuild 25 year old buses because the BRAND NEW ones can't stay running :D

For Sure!! GM buses are a class act. Back in the late 50's, they were overengineered and the proof of that is still on the road today in many cities. Pretty sad case for Orion when the TTC has to rebuild 25 year old buses because the BRAND NEW ones can't stay running :D
Given that Orion's contribution to the bus is just the shell and assembly of parts into a bus, you can't really fault them for the problems that the TTC buses are having. The problems are due to defective (or ineffective) batteries which are not manufactured by Orion.

GM on the other hand built the engines and transmissions themselves so if the bus didn't run due to mechanical problems it was a GM problem .

Not that I'm complaining or anything..because I really love the GMs and older buses...

but isnt the TTC suppose to be 100% Accessible by 2010?

It would be nice, but is'nt that date a little optimistic? What with all the GM rebuilds going to take place, does'nt seem realistic.

I noticed that it's using a bigger rack. Is it possible for the ttc to use the bigger racks on the GMs to save money on getting more racks??

whichever we have more of in stock i guess.

I noticed that it's using a bigger rack. Is it possible for the ttc to use the bigger racks on the GMs to save money on getting more racks??

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure the TTC is trying to stick to one bike rack model. Plus, the extra ones that would (possibly) be used on the GMs can be reused as spares once the GMs are retired just like all the other bike racks will when the buses that they are currently on are retired.

2291 is almost ready to be painted and should be the first one completed (probably early in the new year). I'm not sure if they will recieve bike racks or be renumbered. I will post any changes noted in this thread.

How about 2482 and 2818? Both were reported in the process of some repair before.

I believe 2818 was retired. 2482 is still dormant at Hillcrest (has been for months) but is still plated.

2291 is almost ready to be painted and should be the first one completed (probably early in the new year).

That was fast! How long does it take to rebuild a New Look?

That was fast! How long does it take to rebuild a New Look?

2291 needed less body work than the others so far. Keep in mind this is not a full rebuild, just body repair as needed (bulkhead, floor and side skins and a

paint job) as well as powertrain module replacement. They may perform other work on them while they are at Hillcrest but since none have gone through the full process yet I can't be sure.

2291 needed less body work than the others so far. Keep in mind this is not a full rebuild, just body repair as needed (bulkhead, floor and side skins and a

paint job) as well as powertrain module replacement. They may perform other work on them while they are at Hillcrest but since none have gone through the full process yet I can't be sure.

In other words, cosmetic only. :lol:

2468 is now in rebuild.

Would the fishies that recieves the rebuilt would most likely be allocated to mount dennis after the rebuilt or it stays where it was from??

Would the fishies that recieves the rebuilt would most likely be allocated to mount dennis after the rebuilt or it stays where it was from??

I was wondering the same thing...