OC Transpo an essential service?

OC Transpo an essential service?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think OC Transpo is deemed as essential service?

• Yes
    • No

My opinion on things, is that I believe they are an essential service, because without them, I can't get to school, or go shopping, or basically hang out with friends. With other people, you make a living by traveling to work, and rely on public transportation to get from point A to point B. Not everyone in the City of Ottawa have a car, or can get access to one, and to make things worse is the bad weather we had this morning. With tomorrow, school buses back on service (they were cancelled today), traffic may be more like traveling along the DVP (Don Valley Parkway) in Toronto. I just hope this strike doesn't last longer then three days.

Point55. :)

I believe not because Carling is a ghost station today, I tried getting a photo as nothing was stopping me but all my batteries were dead. It's not often you see Carling like that.

Plus OC Transpo isn't that bad if they go on strike, it's only bad if you live in a car-oriented area, which you happen to live in one. If you live in a walking oriented area like my area, you can get by month on end without a strike.

Btw your school isn't that far, I'm quite sure you can walk.

Btw your school isn't that far, I'm quite sure you can walk.

The thing is, I'm not sure if the Blair pedestrian bridge is open. If not, then it would mean I'd have to walk along Blair Road on the bridge that goes over the RR174, with a sidewalk that is only about 20cm long.... and whos not to say that their is a wall of snow covering it?

Point55. :)

I believe public transit in general is an essential service.

I have to go to school, and to work by bus. As much as I hate how insanely long it takes compared to a car, I have no other choice at the moment. Not to mention that I probably have more friends on the Ottawa side of the river that I currently can't see due to the strike.

Plus OC Transpo isn't that bad if they go on strike, it's only bad if you live in a car-oriented area, which you happen to live in one. If you live in a walking oriented area like my area, you can get by month on end without a strike.

Maybe, maybe not. I drive but my mother doesn't, and even though she lives in a part of the city with lots within walking distance, there are still times when wheels are needed (e.g. grocery shopping).

Maybe, maybe not. I drive but my mother doesn't, and even though she lives in a part of the city with lots within walking distance, there are still times when wheels are needed (e.g. grocery shopping).
Well if you live in a area like mine, there is a store within a 2 minute walk from where ever you live, so keep going back for more.

• 2 weeks later...
You make transit essential, and you damn well better treat it the same way the police, and fire services are treated.

Essential services settle disputes via arbitration. I'd like to see them take that one step further, to "final offer arbitration/selection". Both sides put their final positions on the table before an arbitrator or arbitration board (usually 3 members, each side appoints its own member, then those 2 between them pick the chairman). The arbitrator or board then picks one final position over the other outright - no cherry-picking between them, no bridging any gaps, one side wins, the other loses.