BCT-3122-D800-10240

General Motorcoach Spottings & Photos

A. Wong   

Spotted Diversified 2507, 2510, 2520, 2522, and 2524 all nice and clean in a span of about 10 minutes. Probably coming back from Fort McMurray. I was expecting an XL-II in there somewhere, but they were all new buses!

I must go to PWT and check out what's going on there soon.

Anyone spotted a higher X3-45 than 2528?

A. Wong   

dt2517-2524.jpg

I'm afraid that the XL-45s are retired. (I mean this in a sense that they are likely retired, not that I know it as a fact!)

We'll have to see the next time I encounter a convoy of Diversifieds!

A. Wong   

Subject: History Book - Dusty Trails to Divided Highway - Now Available

NOW AVAILABLE!

Dusty Trails to Divided Highways

A History Of Intercity Bus Lines in Manitoba

This book represents four years of research by the authors Alex Regiec, Dennis Cavanagh & David Anthony Wyatt into the history of the intercity bus industry in the Province of Manitoba, Canada.

The is a 66-page book featuring a collection of over 150 black & white vintage and contemporary photographs, a detailed history of the various companies listed chronologically by their year of establishment and duration of operation, documentation of the routes that were established and recognition of the pioneering individuals of bus services in Manitoba.

Price per book (including postage & handling) is $31.00 Canadian or $28.00 U.S.

To order your copy of this exciting new book, send a Canada Post Domestic Money Order or US Postal Service International Money Order in the appropriate amount made out to Dennis Cavanagh, and include your name and mailing address to:

Dusty Trails to Divided Highways Book

P.O. Box 61038

RPO Grant Park

Winnipeg, Manitoba

Canada R3M 3X8

Hurry and order today! Available copies are limited.

Please direct any inquiries to historyofintercitybuses@yahoo.ca

kevlo86   

I'm afraid that the XL-45s are retired. (I mean this in a sense that they are likely retired, not that I know it as a fact!)

We'll have to see the next time I encounter a convoy of Diversifieds!

They very easily could have been delegated to other runs that Diversified operates.

Sorry Ashton I don't see them being retired either, they are too new to be retired.

Kevin and Karl are both correct. You need to remember that Diversified still runs many older regular Le Mirages, MC-9's, 102DL#'s and others which would probably be retired long before the XL-45's. But most of these older units stay up north and work regular daily work runs to the work sites.

A. Wong   

I see the logic, but I haven't seen one in a while. Just wondering how big Diversified is cashing in on all the oil company transports.

I should ask my cousins who live up there about it sometime.

Kevin and Karl are both correct. You need to remember that Diversified still runs many older regular Le Mirages, MC-9's, 102DL#'s and others which would probably be retired long before the XL-45's. But most of these older units stay up north and work regular daily work runs to the work sites.

There was still at least 1 MC-5C operating when I was last in Fort McMurray.

At least one of the contracts that Diversified has requires buses be no older than a certain number of years.

It seems this particular contract does a lot of work between Edmonton and Fort McMurray. That would be why the XL-45's have been bumped from this work by the X3-45's.

Edmonton doesn't seem to have many Diversified units based here as it is.

I go by the Red Arrow garage from time to time. You never really seem to see many coaches hanging around.

A. Wong   

Greyhound 1263 - New D4505! - heading to Calgary with a trailer. First one I've seen. :huh:

Saw a Gray Line E4500 heading into Edmonton.

kevlo86   

Not too sure how many here would actually care too much about his but,

Seems To-tem may be the new coach operator for Backside Ski/Snowboard Tours. Saw 4 of their coaches today outside of Lister Centre (at the U of A) loading up for a weekend trip.

For atleast the two previous two years, this trip was operated by Banff Transportation and Tours. Better for all those on the trips perhaps, given that To-tem Transportation has better kept/newer coaches then Banff Transportation and Tours does.

Among the coaches spotted were:

Prevost H3-45 #818 and 831 with the current front and rear caps.

Prevost H3-45 #834, old style front and rear caps, all white coach (kind of rare for To-tem) and seamless windows on the outside. Could this be what use to be #1933?

MCI 102EL3, #808, which To-tem claims is still for sale on their website.

Also is there any difference between Traxx Transportation and To-tem Transportation? Based on the fleet they have and common number system, they might as well be the same company.

Additionally, does anyone have a roster of some sort for To-Tem/Traxx? or even which of the coaches are recaps and which are actually 2002 and newer (when the new caps were introduced on new H3-45's).

When i was in High school, our band trip to Vancouver was operated by Banff Transportation and tours, as opposed to the pretty much standard golden arrows. We had two newer MCIs and an older 102 model. Though it was not uncommon for one of our busses to break down or come under troubles, Golden arrow was able to right the problem the two previous trips beforehand. The 102 wasn't able to climb the Coquihalla on the way back to Edmonton with a load of passengers and at more than half of the passengers on the bus were transfered to the other two busses. Upon cresting the summit it was decided that the bus would be left in merrit, for the some 12 hours it takes to reach Edmonton from Merrit, the two remaining busses had to accomidate the additional passengers which led to a large number of people having to sit and sleep in the aisles. Quite unimpressive.

A. Wong   

So which was the trouble company, Banff Transportation & Tours, or Golden Arrow?

When I went on a band trip to BC, more of the luggage was loaded into the bus with the automatic transmission when in the mountainous areas, so that it was easier for the driver of the standard transmission coach to shift.

We had bus troubles with both companies, however golden arrow as able to switch coaches or fix the problem bus so that we were never short a bus. To my knowledge all of the busses were automatic, i think it was simply an engine or transmission problem in the case of the Banff Trans. and Tours bus.

A. Wong   

Ah.

Some spottings for today:

Universal Coach Line 221 spotted, it is a metallic orange/bronze color, and is of the new style. Wonder if this is actually a purchased coach...

ucl221.jpg

One of the Golden Arrow Thomas Saf-T-Liner C2s around as well, near NAIT/City Centre Airport.

Ah.

Some spottings for today:

Universal Coach Line 221 spotted, it is a metallic orange/bronze color, and is of the new style. Wonder if this is actually a purchased coach...

ucl221.jpg

I've seen that bus a couple of times in Vancouver. Think I might have even saw it on Granville Island once last summer while I was working there.

Here's an all-white MC-5 I saw in Calgary last month, just east of the LRT ROW and north of 39th Avenue Station. The destination sign reads "Deadhead". The exposure was hard to get right; I got the shot at about 3:30 PM, and the sun was on the wrong side of the bus. Anyone have any info on its ancestry?

IMG0011.JPG

IMG0011.JPG

post-100-1169345949_thumb.jpg

post-100-1169345949_thumb.jpg

A. Wong   

I would assume Greyhound, but I have nothing to back that up. <_<

Speaking of Greyhound, I saw 1118 (102-DL3) and 1277 (D4505) at the Edmonton depot today.

Also, Golden Arrow 247 eastbound on 118 Avenue at 97 Street.