Newark, New Jersey - New York City

Hey, I need some information/help with taking transit to and from Newark and New York City. I'm going there in a couple of weeks, so I need to be informed on how to get around, I already heard about how expensive a taxi ride from NYC to Newark is. My friends and I will be staying at the Sheraton Newark Airport Hotel. So far I have identified two ways of geting to New York from my hotel.

1) Take airport shuttle/ or taxi from hotel to Newark Ariport Railroad then take the Northeast Corridor train to Newark Penn Station, take PATH into NYC.

2) Take airport shuttle/ or taxi from hotel to Newark Ariport Railroad then take the Northeast Corridor train to New York Penn Station

I also, need some information about NJ Transit fares (are they time based? or trip based? and are tickets line based), for PATH are the fares time based and are tranfers free?

So what are some opinions with the methods I have outlined?

Ohh and what is the frequency like on the Northeast Corridor

I believe the local service on the Northeast Corridor (NJ Transit) runs every 20-30 minutes off peak. I don't see the point of taking Amtrak for such a short trip.

PATH is more frequent, it runs on subway like frequencies.

Is that the easiest way to get to NYC? Like we aren't driving so we have to find some way of getting to Newark Penn Station. Does anyone know how much it would be to take the taxi to Newark Penn Station from Newark Airport?

The cheapest way to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station is the New Jersey Transit #62 bus, which costs $1.35 to ride (payable in cash or coins.) The bus goes from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station where you can take the PATH train into New York City for $1.75.

Ohh are the transfers on the PATH free? Or must you pay another fare if you want to transfer from one line to another?

Ohh are the transfers on the PATH free? Or must you pay another fare if you want to transfer from one line to another?

You can transfer between the individual PATH lines for free. If you want to transfer from PATH to the NYC subway, or from the NYC subway to PATH, or from PATH to Hudson-Bergen Light Rail or Newark City Subway, then you must pay an additional fare.

why not stay in Manhatten area? (I know its expensive) Its so much easier to get around, you can reasearch on craiglist for serviced apartments for around $100 a night in Manhatten's upper east and upper west sides. Thats what I do all the time when I am in NYC for personal matters.

Hell even staying near laguardia airport is easier to get to the city than newark, just take the M60.

From a Transit-Fan point of the view, the PATH system is must see, and ride.

I am not sure, but are the new PA5 Cars in service?

Be sure to ride the Newark Airtrain too!

they should be soon if they arent already in service cause when i was there in July they had a couple of train sets in the yard for testing