NE LRT Extension to Martindale and Saddletowne

LRT

Yes, it's the east crossing of Martindale Blvd that's in question. I've wondered why the crossing that will have trains traveling the fastest is the only one without swing gates. All there is at that crossing is arms coming down across the sidewalk. But that's no barrier for small kids.

I was thinking just after they installed stuff that it wasn't done.

I suspect that the city will have to install swing gates there.

I belive they already have swing gates there.

Here's the thing with that crossing..... trains enter the station at a speed limit of 50 KPH, trains stop prior to the level crossing (station stop at Martindale) The Speed limit is 50 KPH out of the station, but because the trains need to power up prior to the speed limit, they would already be at 30 KPH at the most, by that time they would already have cleared the intersection. As soon as the train clears the speed limit is 80 KPH. This goes both directions.

I belive they already have swing gates there.

Here's the thing with that crossing..... trains enter the station at a speed limit of 50 KPH, trains stop prior to the level crossing (station stop at Martindale) The Speed limit is 50 KPH out of the station, but because the trains need to power up prior to the speed limit, they would already be at 30 KPH at the most, by that time they would already have cleared the intersection. As soon as the train clears the speed limit is 80 KPH. This goes both directions.

Is that refering to the crossing leaving the station or the 2nd, eastbound crossing in martindale? It looks like the problems aren't at the first crossing leaving the station because of the setup, as you indicated, where they stop before they cross.. Its the one on the east leg. In between the stations.

It's the east crossing that people are concerned about.

Here's a picture from the Martindale Community Association's facebook page:

https://www.facebook...&type=1

Here, trains will not be stopping before crossing the intersection, and could be going as fast as 80 km/h.

It's the only place on the new extension that does not have swing gates.

Unrelated, but anyone know why route 59 is being dropped, and the replacement in the same area is being called the 159?

I think in some of the first proposed bus route maps, they had the 59 going CW and the 159 going CCW, but now they will just have one route.

It's the east crossing that people are concerned about.

Here's a picture from the Martindale Community Association's facebook page:

https://www.facebook...&type=1

Here, trains will not be stopping before crossing the intersection, and could be going as fast as 80 km/h.

Its up to the parents of the kids in the area to educate them that "bells and lights" mean trains are comming, also the adults need to set the example of not crossing against the gates and lights.

Oh wait! It's 2012 everybody lazy and nobody gives a $h!t anymore!!

What was I thinking!!!

For some small kids that can get around, but not really understand instructions and teaching yet, that's really not an option.

I don't think this is as big a deal as (some in) the community would have you believe. The same dangers exist from cars afterall.

However, I did wonder why - even months ago when the gates were being installed - why the East crossing of martindale Blvd got a different treatment than all of the other crossings.

Maybe budget related!?

budget related might explain why there's only a route now for one of the directions, but not why the change from 59 to 159. Even if the costs overall are small, they still have to change bus stop signs to have the new number.

budget related might explain why there's only a route now for one of the directions, but not why the change from 59 to 159. Even if the costs overall are small, they still have to change bus stop signs to have the new number.

It's just a small decal to change the route numbers on the signs. They don't have to change the signs themselves at all.

Noticed last night on my return to the city that the traffic lights are installed, though still bagged, on saddletowne circle at 60th street and also at 80th avenue.

Jon

Yup, they have been in place for a couple weeks.

I'm thinking that the one at 80th where people come out of the park and ride is going to need some advance flashers yet. Driving around the circle, you can't really see the light until you are almost at them.

http://goo.gl/maps/llCZl

Riders guide to the transit changes arrived in the mailbox yesterday. Also picked one up at MW station last night.

Both have two free transit tickets in them good until sept. 30th. If you wanted to ride with a friend, here's your chance to get them on board free of charge!

The CT team will be at the Genesis centre this afternoon and at MW station on Thursday afternoon.

Jon

No word of swinging gates at the martindale east crossing though?

Jon

It's unlikely that there will be any physical change to the crossing. They have lowered the speed limit for the trains through that crossing to 50km/h from 80km/h. It will seem like a longer trip through there, but the crossing should hopefully be less of a hot button topic now.

It's unlikely that there will be any physical change to the crossing. They have lowered the speed limit for the trains through that crossing to 50km/h from 80km/h. It will seem like a longer trip through there, but the crossing should hopefully be less of a hot button topic now.

I went through the orientation almost a month ago, I don't remember much but have they changed the speed limit there then? Or is it the same? I remember 80km/h out of MW, then 50km/h into Martindale, 50km/h out of Martindale then 80km/h after you clear the station, then back down to 50 km/h through the interlocking and into Saddletowne.

Thats how I remember it, notice how they don't have any 3 car resumes signage?? The 1st time I have ever seen a 80km/h speed sign on the whole system.

New surprises in store for the West leg!! Can't wait wait for them....but thats a whole different topic...

And the bags have been taken off the signals immediately north of McKnight-Westwinds station too. There's also a note at the north end of the platform adjacent to the outbound track for operators to cancel the pedestrian crossing lights?

I didn't think operators had control of those sorts of things, and if they do, how is the connection made between the two? Track circuits? Radio signals?

Jon