MiWay

Orion VIII

12 hours ago, Orion_II said:

If these are the 22XX XDE40s, then these should replace the last of the remaining D40LFs. Personally, I'll be glad to see the 03XX and 05XX units go; I hate the interior in those things, its so drab and depressing. Its almost like those interiors were designed to make you feel bad for taking public transit. I'm glad that MiWay switched to using seats other than the 6488.

That interior didn't change until the 08s.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orion_II said:

If these are the 22XX XDE40s, then these should replace the last of the remaining D40LFs. Personally, I'll be glad to see the 03XX and 05XX units go; I hate the interior in those things, its so drab and depressing. Its almost like those interiors were designed to make you feel bad for taking public transit. I'm glad that MiWay switched to using seats other than the 6488.

They're also almost 20 years old, cut them some slack. Trust me when I say you'll miss them when MiWay runs an electric fleet with hard plastic seats lol. 

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

They're also almost 20 years old, cut them some slack. Trust me when I say you'll miss them when MiWay runs an electric fleet with hard plastic seats lol. 

I know they're old, and I can appreciate how they're time capsules of sorts, allowing us a window into the past of transit for those of us who never got to experience it when it was current, either because they didnt care or because they werent born yet. I like the new seats they have though; I feel like they're much bigger and support me better when I'm sitting in them. The 6488s seem small and I hate how the back is just hard plastic, while on the newer seats you have the covering on the entire seat.

The only seats which are uncomfortable for me and some people are the novas. It hurts a lot while you sit on them during a long period of time. The plastic seats are pretty nice imo, they are also easier to wash compared to the other models.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, drum118 said:

MiWay finally put out a notice on their website about the Hurontario/QEW detour:

image.thumb.png.79f44df759c9bc3389ff327f555d874f.png vs. image.thumb.png.92bd0139e3adb93258b23faf502644bf.png

Is the closure at Hurontario and South Service Rd. such that detour traffic cannot turn left onto Hurontario?  I'm guessing motorists will take the first (South Service Rd.) or second (Atwater/Mineola) opportunity to get back to Hurontario, neither of which are the official designated detour route for southbound motorists.

In other news are they doing some sort of work along Dixie Rd. north of Dundas?  There was a notice that the Bloor St. stops would be relocated while the existing stops were being rebuilt.  The temporary stops are much closer to Bloor St. making for a shorter walk when transferring.  Other stops along Dixie have had their glass removed and the sidewalks are all marked up to indicate the utilities underneath.  Are they shelters being relocated to accommodate some sort of multi-use trail which only partially exists along stretches of Dixie or is there some other utility work that requires the spaces current shelters occupy?

I'm still somewhat stumped by the placement of the stops at Dixie and Bloor.  It looks like a holdover from when a route ran east on Bloor and then north on Dixie, but nothing like that service seems to have existed.  The gas station would force any farside stop that far north for the northbound stop, but why wasn't there ever a nearside stop?

The Dixie/QEW interchange is also progressing to the point where approaches to a new (temporary? - the alignment isn't the one shown in the final plans) overpass across the QEW.  The area south of the Burger King has been recently resurfaced and I think will be the new (temporary?) home of the "bus terminal" at Dixie Mall.  The road realignments will affect the internal roads within the mall meaning an adjacent location is needed to maintain the terminal while work is ongoing.

I guess having both the Hurontario and Dixie interchanges closed for reconstruction and demolition/installation respectively at the same time would be a recipe for disaster!

On 10/1/2022 at 3:05 PM, AWEChess1 said:

Any word on when we might see articulated buses on route 110, or some sort of adjustment to UTM service in general? I'm a student who also happens to be a transit geek and the current issues I'm seeing on the ground are concerning. 110 normally appears to be scheduled at 15-minute headways but there are numerous times when the buses have bunched together leading to situations like a 5-minute gap followed by no buses for at least 20 minutes. Route 44 appears to be acting as a feeder for Eglinton and Burnhamthorpe from to the campus, which means it is packed to the doors-closed point but then empties out significantly after reaching Eglinton. This is also leading to long lineups at the campus bus stop during peak times which will become very uncomfortable once the weather gets colder.

Curious if the more experienced folks here have any insights.

I guess there was enough feedback that MiWay made a visit to UTM and as per the posters visible in this tweet, the 44 and 110 will recieve additional trips on weekdays. However no implementation date was provided on the posters so who know when the extra trips will actually materialize. 

16 hours ago, Gil said:

I'm still somewhat stumped by the placement of the stops at Dixie and Bloor.  It looks like a holdover from when a route ran east on Bloor and then north on Dixie, but nothing like that service seems to have existed.  The gas station would force any farside stop that far north for the northbound stop, but why wasn't there ever a nearside stop?

The 7 'Malton-Dixie' (as it was called then) ran west on Bloor and north on Dixie as per the October 21, 1974 system map but was revised in February 1975 to run via Dundas. I't possible the stop on Dixie was located on the north side of Bloor to accommodate easy transfers between the routes 3, 5 and 7 as the 7 was the only route that connected to Malton at the time. It could have also been just based on what the demand/transfer patterns were at the time (more people transferring westbound to northbound for work in the industrial areas) and the same could hold true for some of the stop placements in all the old industrial areas where some are placed close together, and often right beside the driveways of various facilities.

What does it mean when a bus mysteriously appears at stations along a given route, but is not shown on the tracker or the schedule? Example: today a 110 bus showed up at the Erin Mills Transitway station. The bus was labeled "110 University Express" (rear sign "110"). Note that there was no N or S added to the end like there usually would be. The only special message was "ENDS AT UTM" appearing on the front board every so often. The bus made every southbound stop along the way to UTM and then went out of service rather than going north.

This is the second time I've seen this happen. Is it a run-as-directed bus like the TTC sometimes uses? Quite curious.

8 hours ago, MiExpress said:

I guess there was enough feedback that MiWay made a visit to UTM and as per the posters visible in this tweet, the 44 and 110 will recieve additional trips on weekdays. However no implementation date was provided on the posters so who know when the extra trips will actually materialize. 

The 7 'Malton-Dixie' (as it was called then) ran west on Bloor and north on Dixie as per the October 21, 1974 system map but was revised in February 1975 to run via Dundas. I't possible the stop on Dixie was located on the north side of Bloor to accommodate easy transfers between the routes 3, 5 and 7 as the 7 was the only route that connected to Malton at the time. It could have also been just based on what the demand/transfer patterns were at the time (more people transferring westbound to northbound for work in the industrial areas) and the same could hold true for some of the stop placements in all the old industrial areas where some are placed close together, and often right beside the driveways of various facilities.

I saw that, but as you mentioned the route ran west along Bloor then north on Dixie.  A nearside stop on Dixie would have sufficed for the 5 DIXIE with the 3 BLOOR and 7 MALTON-DIXIE serving the stop situated just east of the gas station's Bloor driveways.  The gas station's driveways probably also forced the stop to be located that far north in the absence of a nearside stop.  The walking distances are probably the same between a nearside and farside stop, but the farside stop does not require passengers to cross Bloor to make transfers between the 3 BLOOR and 5 DIXIE.  The routing of the 7 MALTON-DIXIE meant there wasn't really a need to transfer in the west to north direction unless you didn't want to wait for the one-seat ride.

1 hour ago, AWEChess1 said:

What does it mean when a bus mysteriously appears at stations along a given route, but is not shown on the tracker or the schedule? Example: today a 110 bus showed up at the Erin Mills Transitway station. The bus was labeled "110 University Express" (rear sign "110"). Note that there was no N or S added to the end like there usually would be. The only special message was "ENDS AT UTM" appearing on the front board every so often. The bus made every southbound stop along the way to UTM and then went out of service rather than going north.

This is the second time I've seen this happen. Is it a run-as-directed bus like the TTC sometimes uses? Quite curious.

Buses which don't display the cardinal direction are short-turns, with "ENDS AT..." on the desto.  The 110 UNIVERSITY EXPRESS has a few trips, high school trippers (when they were in use) and buses going out of service at some point other than the end of the route (usually at a point they can easily access a garage like Creditview/Central Pkwy.)

1 hour ago, Gil said:

I saw that, but as you mentioned the route ran west along Bloor then north on Dixie.  A nearside stop on Dixie would have sufficed for the 5 DIXIE with the 3 BLOOR and 7 MALTON-DIXIE serving the stop situated just east of the gas station's Bloor driveways.  The gas station's driveways probably also forced the stop to be located that far north in the absence of a nearside stop.  The walking distances are probably the same between a nearside and farside stop, but the farside stop does not require passengers to cross Bloor to make transfers between the 3 BLOOR and 5 DIXIE.  The routing of the 7 MALTON-DIXIE meant there wasn't really a need to transfer in the west to north direction unless you didn't want to wait for the one-seat ride.

Having the northbound Dixie stop be on the nearside would mean that it would only be served by the route 5, and the route 7 would serve a different stop. This means that anybody who was boarding at that intersection (or transferring from the eastbound route 3 for example) would have to make a choice of 2 different stops to wait at if they wanted to go north. If someone chose wrong, they'd have a longer wait, or a frantic run across traffic. Having a farside stop would allow all northbound services on Dixie use the same stop, meaning people didn't have to guess which bus was coming first. Safer and more customer-friendly.

Why the stop has never moved to the more conventional (and possibly more convenient) nearside position seems to be a classic case of bureaucratic inertia.

9 hours ago, AWEChess1 said:

7 hours ago, Gil said:

Buses which don't display the cardinal direction are short-turns, with "ENDS AT..." on the desto.  The 110 UNIVERSITY EXPRESS has a few trips, high school trippers (when they were in use) and buses going out of service at some point other than the end of the route (usually at a point they can easily access a garage like Creditview/Central Pkwy.)

This is the signage that the short trips between City Centre and UTM have used. In past years when UTM is in session the 110 was scheduled with short turn trips that only operated between City Centre and UTM with every second bus on the route going to Clarkson allowing for 8 minutes service between City Centre and UTM at the busiest times of the day, and 15 minutes during the midday. This year MiWay didn't implement that service design and used the summer service frequency of 15-20 minutes which is why there's been so many issues with the 110. 

Currently there are none of these short turn trips officially scheduled, however it sounds like MiWay may be running additional trips here and there when possible to try and alleviate the overcrowding. A bus won't appear on any trackers unless it is actually in the existing schedule. So yeah, "run as directed" is a good way of putting it.

As it stands, buses are been allocated to routes that need more service than others regardless of size and colour that there is an imbalance of both colour and size fleet wise.

Some of those so call extra trippers are buses schedule to go into service on X route for peak service and this is killing 2 birds with one stone.

With the delivery of the first 165 hybrid buses to to start showing up mid-late Nov and fully deliver in 2023, the issue with imbalance within the fleet cannot be fully address until then. Surprise surprise, late delivery is due to supply chain issues. Don't expect to see any new buses in service until Jan 1st, unless there are more failure with the buses due to retire before then.

As for the northbound stop at Bloor on Dixie is both an safety issue as well a non accessibly stop. Time to close off those turning lanes to build the side walkout along closing the south entrance to the gas station and put the bus stop there, or put it at the corner on the south side. They are doing this on Hurontario now with Eglinton being the first one done.

More buses are been assign to route 2 for Oct 28-31 to dealing with traffic delays as well longer trips time and staying with the schedule time. Route 8 will remain as is.

Is it normal for a bus's interior lights to go out when the driver switches into reverse? I was on the 48S about an hour ago and when we were reversing out of Meadowvale the interior lights turned off; we were on a D40, so I'm wondering if thats a thing with all busses or if its just a D40/New Flyer thing

26 minutes ago, Orion_II said:

Is it normal for a bus's interior lights to go out when the driver switches into reverse? I was on the 48S about an hour ago and when we were reversing out of Meadowvale the interior lights turned off; we were on a D40, so I'm wondering if thats a thing with all busses or if its just a D40/New Flyer thing

Normal yes, its so the driver can have better visibility vs having the reflections of the lights coming off the windows. Its also why some buses have the first few lights up front turned off at night. 

48 minutes ago, Orion_II said:

When a bus goes in reverse, the interior lights turn off yes. It is for visibility at night.

4 hours ago, AWEChess1 said:

Interesting. On Google Maps and the Transit app there no longer seems to be any real-time data.

I just checked google maps and your right, it doesnt seem to currently be working at all for MiWay. My guess is its some kind of issue with google maps as transsee and T55 still seem to be working fine.

I have never used the transit app, but i have noticed google maps often shows the wrong info for MiWay buses, and doesnt seem to be very reliable. I reccomend using transsee, it seems to be the most reliable for tracking MiWay buses.