MiWay

Orion VIII

Wondering if Mississauga had issues like a number of US Systems had for their Nova Buses that NovaBus issue a recall on various buses back on Aug 10 regarding the steering system. Supposed to be an 3 hour fix

"Canada-based Nova Bus issued a recall notice Aug. 10 for defects in steering equipment on some buses"

January 2, 2023 service changes
2 - weekday evening schedule adjustments (will continue to interline with route 17 in late evening)

17 - weekday schedule adjustments, no longer interlining with route 18 (will continue to interline with route 2 in late evening)

18 - extended east along Derry to Westwood, replacing route 42A service. Route 18 will run between Sheridan College and Westwood via McLaughlin and Derry. Frequency every 12-13 minutes during weekday rush hours. 

42 - weekday service service rescheduled with 42A branch eliminated. Route 42 will run between Meadowvale Town Centre and Westwood. Weekday frequency every 12-13 minutes during weekday rush hours and midday; late evening service reduced from 12 to 14 minutes.

Note: Route 42 midday frequency unchanged compared to current service levels. Combined route 18/42 rush hour frequency is same as existing 42/42A service levels however the routes will not have integrated or coordinated scheduling on the common portion of the routes along Derry.

44 - Additional service added during October will continue during the January 2023 board period.

57 - weekday rush hour frequency increased from 17 to 13 minutes

61 - weekday rush hour frequency increased from 16 to 12 minutes; weekday midday frequency increased from 21 to 17 minutes

66 - additional weekday trips from CCT at 634a, 643a, 739a, 748a, 353p, 412p and additional weekday trips from Sheridan College at 814a, 824a, 430p, 450p, 540p, 600p. Earlier/later trips on Saturdays and Sundays. See related route 99 below

99 - New route 99 'College Shuttle' with non-stop service between City Centre Terminal and Sheridan College. Two weekday SB trips from Sheridan College at 704a and 719a, two weekday NB trips from CCT at 515p and 530p. Integrated as part of vehicle blocks for new 66 trips shown above

101 - Weekday rush hour frequency reduced from 10 to 12 minutes; weekday midday frequency reduced from 14 to 18 minutes.

103 - Earlier/later trips on weekdays and Saturdays/Sundays

110 - Additional service added during October will continue during the January 2023 board period.

On 11/10/2022 at 1:54 PM, Bus_Medic said:

Steering boxes affected were made by Sheppard between June 2021 and February 2022 only.

They were available from Volvo group as aftermarket parts only, and no new builds had these parts installed. 

37B03829-30BB-471A-B486-ED2280DD0987.thumb.jpeg.d5a4c877ca0d5a355c969e64b582c9a2.jpeg

This just popped up after Portland did an inspection of their artic fleet:

Dated November 15th.

1 hour ago, Toro said:

Does anyone know where miway buses go for scrap?

Information like that isn't posted in these forums to avoid people from trespassing onto private property, and to avoid owners to hate us like in the past. MiWay buses are bidded off and who ever has the highest bid is awarded the decommissioned buses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTio said:

Information like that isn't posted in these forums to avoid people from trespassing onto private property, and to avoid owners to hate us like in the past. MiWay buses are bidded off and who ever has the highest bid is awarded the decommissioned buses.

I see, makes sense 

New bus bays on Dixie Rd have been built that are longer than the current one at Dixie Mall.

Both Dixie Rd Stops at Bloor under construction with stops south of Bloor

The driver of 1019 on route 3 should be given a holiday and pay back the riders he rip off by not telling then that the printer wasn't working and pay their fare on the next bus they get on like all the drivers that I have seen saying this. The driver said nothing until riders ask for a transfer and said the printer was working. Over a dozens riders were caught with no transfer after paying their fare after I got on until I got off and expect a lot more were going have the same thing happening to them until the problem was fix. Went up to the driver after a few cases and said why don't you cover the fare box and tell them to pay on the next bus like other do when the system crap out. His response was you pay your fare to ride my bus regardless if the printer/system not working. No customer service person who waiting for that retirement day.

A number of riders going to complain about this driver. All riders will have to pay a double fare thanks to this driver. It leaves a black eye on the system and other drivers.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, drum118 said:

New bus bays on Dixie Rd have been built that are longer than the current one at Dixie Mall.

Both Dixie Rd Stops at Bloor under construction with stops south of Bloor

The driver of 1019 on route 3 should be given a holiday and pay back the riders he rip off by not telling then that the printer wasn't working and pay their fare on the next bus they get on like all the drivers that I have seen saying this. The driver said nothing until riders ask for a transfer and said the printer was working. Over a dozens riders were caught with no transfer after paying their fare after I got on until I got off and expect a lot more were going have the same thing happening to them until the problem was fix. Went up to the driver after a few cases and said why don't you cover the fare box and tell them to pay on the next bus like other do when the system crap out. His response was you pay your fare to ride my bus regardless if the printer/system not working. No customer service person who waiting for that retirement day.

A number of riders going to complain about this driver. All riders will have to pay a double fare thanks to this driver. It leaves a black eye on the system and other drivers.

You would think that the operator should just cover up the fare box OR advise to pay the next bus if needing to change buses. Not everyone uses debit/credit/mobile payment/Presto card which doesn't require having a transfer printed. 

There are some people who aren't cut out for the job while others feel that their money is impacted. Of course, revenue loss is accounted for in their budget and laws prevent employees having to cover losses due to theft. Especially I know I wouldn't want to double pay if I can do my trip within the two hour transfer window. 

17 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

You would think that the operator should just cover up the fare box OR advise to pay the next bus if needing to change buses. Not everyone uses debit/credit/mobile payment/Presto card which doesn't require having a transfer printed. 

There are some people who aren't cut out for the job while others feel that their money is impacted. Of course, revenue loss is accounted for in their budget and laws prevent employees having to cover losses due to theft. Especially I know I wouldn't want to double pay if I can do my trip within the two hour transfer window. 

This driver was just been an ash hole since he is the only one I have seen not telling riders not to pay a fare and to pay it on the next bus.

Drivers do not have to cover any short falls since there are no short fall between what put in the fare box and what the system says. In many cases, there is more money in the fare box than should be as various riders don't have the correct change and put in larger bills to cover the trip. There are times drivers will allow riders on that are short in change.

For the senior, that $1 2 hour transfer trip became a $3.10 trip as their round trip was after 3:30pm. That may seem small to some ppl, but not to some of the riders based on current cost of living on a fix income. A $1 here, $1 there adds up very quickly.

I have stated for over a decade that not every riders has the funds to buy tickets, passes, Presto Card and have funds on it or be top off as they only earn money on a daily base nor a bank account

Does anyone know why route 18 is being cancelled during the holiday season?

I understand that it serves Sheridan College and that it is being cancelled in conjunction with the 107 service to Humber College, but it still provides an important connection to GO Transit services at Hurontario and 407 from Brampton. Is this to give people enough time to forget it in advance of its extension to replace the 42A?

17 minutes ago, blue.bird.fan said:

Does anyone know why route 18 is being cancelled during the holiday season?

I understand that it serves Sheridan College and that it is being cancelled in conjunction with the 107 service to Humber College, but it still provides an important connection to GO Transit services at Hurontario and 407 from Brampton. Is this to give people enough time to forget it in advance of its extension to replace the 42A?

They likely cancelled it for the holiday board so they can have another bus to use somewhere else. I often see the 18 on derry with zero people on it and thats with the college open, so i doubt anyone would be on it with the college closed.

• 4 weeks later...

Why haven't they posted an updated system map on their website yet? A new route 99, and the 18 bypassing the 407 park and ride and extended to Westwood to replace 42A is a major change, and it's only 3 days away, right? Or am I missing something?

18 serving Derry instead of 42A is confusing enough, but they don't even bother to post an updated map. I find it strange.

56 minutes ago, ngdvd said:

Why haven't they posted an updated system map on their website yet? A new route 99, and the 18 bypassing the 407 park and ride and extended to Westwood to replace 42A is a major change, and it's only 3 days away, right? Or am I missing something?

18 serving Derry instead of 42A is confusing enough, but they don't even bother to post an updated map. I find it strange.

I don’t think they will post it till the actual board change starts, makes more sense.

14 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

I don’t think they will post it till the actual board change starts, makes more sense.

In the past they always posted the future system map weeks in advance alongside the current map. That makes more sense as riders have to see which routes to take. Posting the map on January 2 is too late. People might avoid 18 and crowd onto the 42 buses not realizing that the 18 replaced the 42A.  If they had renumbered it to 41, then it would be more obvious that is a companion to route 42, but instead they kept number 18 which made more sense when it was companion route to 17.

The service change also makes it sound like 18 will be a rush hour only route, but according to the schedule it actually operates during the midday as well. All this is not clear without the map.

16 hours ago, ngdvd said:

53 minutes ago, ngdvd said:

In the past they always posted the future system map weeks in advance alongside the current map. That makes more sense as riders have to see which routes to take. Posting the map on January 2 is too late. People might avoid 18 and crowd onto the 42 buses not realizing that the 18 replaced the 42A.  If they had renumbered it to 41, then it would be more obvious that is a companion to route 42, but instead they kept number 18 which made more sense when it was companion route to 17.

The service change also makes it sound like 18 will be a rush hour only route, but according to the schedule it actually operates during the midday as well. All this is not clear without the map.

Ever since the city's website was redesigned the system map has been posted the day of the service change. Regardless it's not like the changes aren't well publicized, with the front page of the website containing a separate announcement explaining the changes on Derry in addition to the usual service change announcement which also includes new individual route maps. There's also been a fair amount of targeted/paid ads on twitter advertising the service changes, as well as notices posted at stops.

The 18 is a rush hour only route and has the same service spans as the current 42A, there is no continuous midday service between the AM and PM peaks. The PM peak service starts between 12:30-1:00pm due to ridership demand. Many routes have rush hour service that starts building up before what is/was generally considered the start of rush hour service periods. 18 McLaughlin-Derry service overview

The 42A actually used to have midday service when it was first introduced in May 2021 where combined 42/42A service operated every 5 minutes between 5:00am and 7:00pm. However it was determined to be too much service and was revised in January 2022 to cut the midday service and also reduce the combined frequency during rush hour from 5 to 6 minutes.

City of Mississauga 2023 proposed budget

MiWay 2023 operating budget proposal

• Total operating budget of $218.9 million; $94.7 million fares, $18.5 million provincial gas tax, $105.7 million subsidy from property taxes
  • Net increase in operating budget of $15.8 million compared to 2021, all of which is to maintain existing service levels
  • Major cost impacts driving cost increases - $10.8 million diesel fuel; $3.9 million labour costs; $1 million increased PRESTO commission fees; $800,000 fleet maintenance expenses; $475,000 contractor, utilities, building supplies increase. $275,000 overall savings due to various efficiencies found.
  • No service hour (net service level) increase for 2023, however 1% service hour growth (15,000 hours) requested in 2024. 12 net new operators, 1 service person, 1 route supervisor and 1 scheduler to be hired in 2024.

MiWay 2023 Capital budget projects - unless noted in brackets, funding is from tax capital reserve/debt financing

• Total capital budget $168.2 million -  $70.9 million property tax capital reserves, $85.2 million ICIP fed/prov funding, $9.7 million development charges, $2.2 million federal gas tax
  • 75 replacement hybrid buses; already on order as part of 165 bus order being manufactured - $83.8 million (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • Major engine/transmission rehabilitation or replacement; annual budget item - $6.1 million (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • 2010 Orion hybrid battery replacement; annual budget item since 2016-2017 - $80,000
  • 2010 Orion hybrid motor/generator replacement; annual budget item since 2016-2017 - $165,000 (100% federal gas tax)
  • Driver assault barriers - $3 million
  • Hurontario LRT implementation - $6.5 million
  • Dundas BRT assessment - $3 million (100% development charges)
  • Begin Dundas BRT design/construction Confederation to Etobicoke; multi-year project - $12.2 million (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • Dundas BRT land acquisition - $25 million
  • Begin Lakeshore BRT design/construction Dixie to East Ave; multi-year project - $5.7 million (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • Lakeshore BRT land acquisition - $500,000
  • Downtown Transitway connection  - $4 million (100% federal gas tax)
  • Transit terminals/stops minor repairs - $150,000 (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • Bus stop pads - $140,000 (100% federal gas tax)
  • Transit shelter program - $540,000 (75% ICIP fed/prov funding, 25% development charges)
  • Additional bus shelters; above annual program amount - $432,000 (100% development charges)
  • Enhanced stops/shelters on Dixie, Derry, Eglinton, Erin Mills/Southdown - $5.9 million (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • Customer satisfaction survey - $250,000
  • CP Garage fencing/gate - $500,000
  • Carmen Corbasson CC Bus loop/on street stops - $1 million 
  • On Street transit infrastructure - $450,000 (100% development charges)
  • Transitway glass partitions - $100,000 (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • Cawthra Station bus loop/operator washroom - $2,000,000 (100% Development charges, federal gas tax)
  • Burnhamthorpe layby/operator washroom - $1,500,000
  • CX garage electric bus study/modification - $1,000,000
  • Transit IT systems upgrade phase 2 - $3,000,000 (75% ICIP fed/prov funding)
  • Replacement change-off cars/equipment - $450,000
  • Replacement supervisor/maintenance vehicles - $200,000 (100% federal gas tax)
  • Growth supervisor cars/change-off cars/maintenance vehicles - $495,000 (100% development charges)

On 12/31/2022 at 2:43 PM, ngdvd said:

I did notice the new maps in the shelters on Jan. 1, they weren't there a few days earlier when I checked.

The new 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY and 99 COLLEGE SHUTTLE are both shown as regular routes, even though it's been noted that the initial schedule only has the 18 running during peak periods and the 99 only making 2 trips in each direction also during rush hour.  So both should be shown with a dashed rather than solid route line.

The 90 COPENHAGEN LOOP aside as it's due to be replaced, will the 90-series become non-stop routes?  I'd like to see one between CCTT and Kipling, which currently only exists as a deadhead.  The bus is going there anyway, why not take passengers and run non-stop along the Transitway?  It would meet the budget's guideline of no new net hours (see MiExpress' excerpt below).

The old 200-series designation for express routes only running during rush hours (while the 100-series was for all day service) could be used here.  Along with a possible renumbering of the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK as the last remaining 80-series route.  Aside from the fact that it doesn't use the Transitway (well neither did the 185 DIXIE EXPRESS when it was in service) for a majority of its route - aside from the east/southbound stop at Dixie and Crestlawn, why not keep it on Eglinton to provide a transfer at Dixie?  What is the difference between the 100-series express routes and the last 80-series limited stop routes?  Aside from the fact that this one doesn't run both ways when in operation, giving it an "express" designation may clarify the nature of the route so the driver doesn't have to.

As for passenger notice, I'm sure signs went up on every single bus stop the 18 and 42A served warning of the impending service change when they were announced in early December and will likely stay up for a few weeks after implementation just to make sure everyone gets the message.

Weekday System Map

Express Network Map

No changes to the following maps:

Saturday System Map 

Sunday/Holiday Map (they should make/show a distinction between the two since they seem to have a set list of Sunday and Holiday routes)

On 1/3/2023 at 11:05 PM, MiExpress said:

City of Mississauga 2023 proposed budget

MiWay 2023 operating budget proposal

• Total operating budget of $218.9 million; $94.7 million fares, $18.5 million provincial gas tax, $105.7 million subsidy from property taxes
  • Net increase in operating budget of $15.8 million compared to 2021, all of which is to maintain existing service levels
  • No service hour (net service level) increase for 2023, however 1% service hour growth (15,000 hours) requested in 2024. 12 net new operators, 1 service person, 1 route supervisor and 1 scheduler to be hired in 2024. ...

More rearranging the deck chairs/robbing Peter to pay Paul with no net service level increases.  There has to be a more creative way of getting more service without cannibalizing the system.  A hopefully significant bump in ridership might do that.  What does the City do if they get more ridership than anticipated and have the additional revenues that it entails?

Given the budget limitations, I guess any new service like to the Premium Outlet Mall is off the table until 2024 (unless they or Halton Hills decides to foot the bill).  I noticed a gap in service when I decided to bike (?!) to the outlet mall.  There's no service on Argentia west of Lisgar GO and several warehouses all the way to Ninth Line.  There were several people walking, presumably to Lisgar GO to access transit.  Likewise people waiting on Winston Churchill not boarding a 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA bus after missing a 38 CREDITVIEW bus since it didn't connect/go to Lisgar GO (unless they were headed to somewhere along Meadowpine or Meadowvale Blvd.).  Anyway, a route west of Lisgar GO on Argentia has very few terminus points.  The outlet mall being one (didn't know there was an armoury next to the fire department's training facility) and Churchill Meadows CC being the other running into a bit of route duplication.  Continuing down Ninth Line to South Common via Burnhamthorpe or Laird/Vega Loop (once it's built) via Dundas would be other options even if it were to start off as a rush hour route.

The Meadowvale area both residential (around Meadowvale TC and Meadowvale Village) and industrial areas need some sort of overhaul probably in conjunction with the final implementation of the changes in Churchill Meadows if only to provide better connections.  A revamp of the loop at Meadowvale Town Centre will likely require some changes or interlining to reduce disruption from having the terminal closed.

IMG_20230101_1049383.jpg

IMG_20230101_1049487.jpg

4 minutes ago, Gil said:

The old 200-series designation for express routes only running during rush hours (while the 100-series was for all day service) could be used here.

Weren't the 100-series routes initially rush hour only as well? I think 101, 102, 107 and 109 were like this, with the 110 being the only exception.