Jump to content

MiWay


Orion VIII
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Well they have a few weeks ago. I believe we’re looking at 10 buses a month. We’re supposed get them by the end of this month, or the start of next month and should hit the road fairly quick! According to what a UR said.

Would it be that quick lol People said they are not gonna be there until December

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

By the way are the 60 fts gonna to retire the D60LFRs we have now?

I believe so. If they're MiExpress, then yeah. I believe MiWay's minium for retiring artics is 10 years or 12 years. So yeah, they'll retire.

The D60LFRs are awesome ngl. The seats are so COMFY!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, DiltonPlayzYT said:

I believe so. If they're MiExpress, then yeah. I believe MiWay's minium for retiring artics is 10 years or 12 years. So yeah, they'll retire.

The D60LFRs are awesome ngl. The seats are so COMFY!!

Generally, buses are expected to hit a minimum age in their useful life (12 years for 60 footers & usually 12 or 18 years for 40 footers) before they are often considered for retirement.

However, @Articulated mentioned this once in another thread where there are other factors at play here and agencies are quite flexible with their retirement schedule. For example, if there is a existing shortage of buses, agencies typically try to use the buses they have on hand for as long as they can before they retire them. As well, in the event of service increases, they generally would keep extra buses around. One key example of this is the MTA where they kept some retiring D4500CLs due to the acquisition of two routes from Academy Bus.

With that said, buses can also prematurely retire usually as a result of bus fires or issue with parts.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gamer Studios said:

Generally, buses are expected to hit a minimum age in their useful life (12 years for 60 footers & usually 12 or 18 years for 40 footers) before they are often considered for retirement.

However, @Articulated mentioned this once in another thread where there are other factors at play here and agencies are quite flexible with their retirement schedule. For example, if there is a existing shortage of buses, agencies typically try to use the buses they have on hand for as long as they can before they retire them. As well, in the event of service increases, they generally would keep extra buses around. One key example of this is the MTA where they kept some retiring D4500CLs due to the acquisition of two routes from Academy Bus.

With that said, buses can also prematurely retire usually as a result of bus fires or issue with parts.

 

True. Besides, look how LONG the D40LFs have lasted? 19-20 years?!

 

They're impressive..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, hamilton.area.transit said:

i know that but im asking what units are beinf produced right now... not whats on order.

Just wait and see that's what I do. If you look at some older posts, there should be an estimated timeline for when buses will be delivered. Dont listen to him right now. He is stirring the pot again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

The D60LFRs will most likely to retire next year with 22 MiExpress XDE60s on order. I highly doubt that Miway will replace the MiExpress artics with MiLocal artics.

Express and local have been a mess already now in Miway lol Actually who will care what kind of buses to ride on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DiltonPlayzYT said:

True. Besides, look how LONG the D40LFs have lasted? 19-20 years?!

 

They're impressive..

It’s because they’ve been maintaining the 03s and 05s with extra care I guess. If they weren’t, they would have been breaking down, and would have many different issues, frame corrosion (etc). They’re 17-19 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

^ What I meant was that MiWay is a fleet shortage. Apparently at one point it gotten so bad, ops have to sit around to wait for buses to "free up"

Next ti.e edit your first post. No need to double post.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

^ What I meant was that MiWay is a fleet shortage. Apparently at one point it gotten so bad, ops have to sit around to wait for buses to "free up"

Is this the common phenomenon for GTA bus agencies currently as many of them have not had large-scaled bus shifting during these 2-3 years? Like the yrt they still keep the early D40LFs and the TTC keeps the roaring Orion diesels. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

Is this the common phenomenon for GTA bus agencies currently as many of them have not had large-scaled bus shifting during these 2-3 years? Like the yrt they still keep the early D40LFs and the TTC keeps the roaring Orion diesels. 

In the case of the TTC, they currently have a huge bus surplus. I can't speak to the other GTA agencies, however.

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So the 61 and 66 going all Blue bus operation, is it specific to artic, or any bus that's blue?

Is it that the local artic allocation is tight or not enough?

I'm also curious about the 110, one route that used to be very heavy ridership-wise and lots of artics used. It'll be interesting to see if the 110 gets to that level again abd the artic allocation is already accounted for on the 1/1C, 5, 35, 39(?), 42, 61, 66, 101/101A, 103 and 109.

Lastly, I see that with MiWay not bringing back the 185, guessing Brampton isn't doing the sane?

Could there be a chance to see one agency providing that route while the other stands ididly by?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gamer Studios said:

Most agencies usually account to have some extra buses (i.e. just in case some go into the shop and get stuck there for a bit).

All agencies need to keep a certain spares for routine maintenance. They also need to employ enough mechanics to keep the entire fleet up to date. TTC sucked at this a decade ago so MDBF was like 5,000 km and buses keep breaking down. I'm glad they made major changes in this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Most agencies usually account to have some extra buses (i.e. just in case some go into the shop and get stuck there for a bit).

I'm well aware - it's called the spares ratio, and in public transit, it usually is about 15% to 18% of the total size of the fleet.

 

If an agency - such as Mississauga Transit - is having trouble getting enough vehicles onto the road, then their ratio is going to be at the lower end of that range.


Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...