Jump to content

MiWay


Orion VIII
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Can I just say, I can't imagine being a passenger on the 2 these days; that is just such a sad state of affairs (referring to south of Queensway). Its a great way to sum up the general attitude towards transit in these parts. Contruction? To hell with the buses, they can sit and rot in the mess. 

I've noticed the mess at the QEW interchange going south where the right lane leads you into QEW west, I saw other drivers having to make a last second lane change when they want to continue going south on Hurontario.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Anyone know if bus 0302 is still active?

As of right now yes, it just had a semi-annual inspection a few weeks ago. Depending on what work is needed as a result not uncommon for a bus to be out of service a couple weeks waiting on parts stock, shop space, manpower etc. especially in COVID times.

If a bus needs structural work or major engine/transmission work it could result in it being out of service for up to 2-3 months. Given all this, a bus being out of service a month in the case of 0302 isn't a indicator that it is retired.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Oh okay.  I am new riding and fanning Miway.  Any idea when the D40lfs will be phased out? I heard early 2023. 

Prob once the hybrids arrive and enter service. Nothing quite sure because I‘ve heard that those new buses have not started being produced yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Screenshot_20220806-111521~2.png

Looks like they targeted the more frequent service or those with alternatives to minimize the impacts on routes that have more limited frequency or service. 

Especially with the current labour shortage and trying to retain and hire new transit operators is an industry wide problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Byfold said:

What do you propose they do?  There is a shortage all over Canada! 

Yea it’s that but not only that. MiWay is in a really bad shape due to how bad management is doing their work. In the last few months, more than 150+ Drivers have quit their jobs due to them being stressed out completely and (etc). They don’t get enough layover times, they most of the times can’t even use the bathroom, most of the times can’t eat their lunch (etc). They get no time on any of the routes in the city and schedules are so tight. MiWay is also low on buses which makes it even harder. Theirs also major issues on Mavis but they haven’t done anything which would help solve the issue. From my understanding, and sources from other operators, MiWay employees should be going on strike in the next few months or possibly next year. They also have issues in the Union Rep department, where the reps sometimes don’t get access to the stuff they need, and their trying to expose that matter. This is the first time I’ve seen MiWay this bad imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Every single issue you posted above are a common problem at most transit systems in North America. 

It's very easy to point the blame on management.   However they can only do so much with the funding provided from the city council.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Byfold said:

It's very easy to point the blame on management.   However they can only do so much with the funding provided from the city council.

It's not just funding. You can't hire people who don't apply.

 

Dan

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MiWay isnt helping themselves with applicants who may not get through the first initial rounds of the process; they reject them and they dont continue on in the process. I've heard of other municipalities (ie: Waterloo) who re-open and reconsider certain applicants who may have been rejected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, lip said:

MiWay isnt helping themselves with applicants who may not get through the first initial rounds of the process; they reject them and they dont continue on in the process. I've heard of other municipalities (ie: Waterloo) who re-open and reconsider certain applicants who may have been rejected.

I have a feeling it's this latest crop of new hires that I've run into where they've skipped requested stops, not seen people standing at a stop and continue past it or who are driving well below the speed limit as they are still getting used to driving something as big as a bus (let alone an artic). On my commute into work today I got to see all 3.

I also witnessed a senior with her presumably 12-year old granddaughter board a bus. She paid a $1 and let her granddaughter go on for free.  The driver told her she had to pay.  Did grandma assume she was boarding a TTC or GO bus where kids are free?  She said she didn't know (about the child fare), but she knew about the $1 fare.  She was muttering something to her granddaughter that I didn't catch, but still got away without her paying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gil said:

I have a feeling it's this latest crop of new hires that I've run into where they've skipped requested stops, not seen people standing at a stop and continue past it or who are driving well below the speed limit as they are still getting used to driving something as big as a bus (let alone an artic). On my commute into work today I got to see all 3.

I also witnessed a senior with her presumably 12-year old granddaughter board a bus. She paid a $1 and let her granddaughter go on for free.  The driver told her she had to pay.  Did grandma assume she was boarding a TTC or GO bus where kids are free?  She said she didn't know (about the child fare), but she knew about the $1 fare.  She was muttering something to her granddaughter that I didn't catch, but still got away without her paying.

Been noticing operators have been letting ppl on without paying (which I don’t care about) most don’t have money or didn’t refill their presto. I also noticed most new drivers pick crews which are less busy most of the times. I’ve heard they’ve taken school routes and the 76. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/20/2022 at 2:49 PM, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

Prob once the hybrids arrive and enter service. Nothing quite sure because I‘ve heard that those new buses have not started being produced yet.

Well they have a few weeks ago. I believe we’re looking at 10 buses a month. We’re supposed get them by the end of this month, or the start of next month and should hit the road fairly quick! According to what a UR said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...