MiWay

Orion VIII

With yesterday being a holiday, MiWay updated their maps today (reflecting the start of most of the service changes).  While the weekday map was the only one that actually needed updating (as far as I can tell) with the new 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY route, they've updated all of the others which hadn't been done since last October.  For some reason the map is displaying May 2011 as the title even though everything on it (effective date and file name) say February 2022.

The 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY is a bright magenta colour, but is missing from the Brampton inset map.  Sheridan College's Davis Campus should really get its own terminal box with now three MiWay routes plus several Brampton Transit routes serving it.  The inset's size and position don't really give them much room to expand it however.  I noticed Humber College's terminal box is missing the connecting symbols for GO, TTC, Brampton Transit and YRT, likewise for Pearson's Terminal 1 (minus YRT).

The base map itself is somewhat dated with the extension of Milllcreek Dr. south to Britannia and Hogan Dr. missing even though they've been in use for several years now.

Weekday Map, Express Map, Saturday Map, Sunday Map  

4 minutes ago, Gil said:

With yesterday being a holiday, MiWay updated their maps today (reflecting the start of most of the service changes).  While the weekday map was the only one that actually needed updating (as far as I can tell) with the new 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY route, they've updated all of the others which hadn't been done since last October.  For some reason the map is displaying May 2011 as the title even though everything on it (effective date and file name) say February 2022.

The 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY is a bright magenta colour, but is missing from the Brampton inset map.  Sheridan College's Davis Campus should really get its own terminal box with now three MiWay routes plus several Brampton Transit routes serving it.  The inset's size and position don't really give them much room to expand it however.  I noticed Humber College's terminal box is missing the connecting symbols for GO, TTC, Brampton Transit and YRT, likewise for Pearson's Terminal 1 (minus YRT).

The base map itself is somewhat dated with the extension of Milllcreek Dr. south to Britannia and Hogan Dr. missing even though they've been in use for several years now.

Weekday Map, Express Map, Saturday Map, Sunday Map  

They have 3 buses on that route.... which seems odd to me. I was expecting only 1 bus to be on that route for non rush hour times but I was wrong.

4 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

They have 3 buses on that route.... which seems odd to me. I was expecting only 1 bus to be on that route for non rush hour times but I was wrong.

They're interlining the 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY with the 17 HURONTARIO.  Given the length of the route there can only be so many buses on it at any one time.  The schedule lists a run time of just under 20 minutes (as of 2:30 when I checked).  Operating it separately at the headways they wanted (every 15 minutes or so) would eat up more resources.  Keep in mind that MiWay's budget for this year was the same as last year with no new net increase, meaning any new service comes at the expense of others.  The increased frequency on the the Hurontario corridor in conjunction with the introduction of the 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY came at the expense of other routes that saw a decrease in their frequency as seen in the Service Change announcement.

For the uninitiated, interlining is running the same bus over two routes through a common terminal.  In this case, once the 17 HURONTARIO reaches the 407 GO Terminal it becomes the 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY and continues on to Sheridan College.  On the way back once it reaches the 407 GO Terminal the 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY becomes the 17 HURONTARIO.  The route only operates when the two Hurontario routes are operating separately.  Effectively until 10pm when the 17 HURONTARIO and 2 HURONTARIO are interlined at CCTT (recreating the 19 HURONTARIO).

Given the propensity of MiWay to use the route direction in the route number displayed, giving the two halves separate names like HURONTARIO NORTH and HURONTARIO SOUTH would likely have caused confusion.  Seeing as it no longer enters Brampton, reusing the old route name BRAMPTON wasn't an option either.  Thankfully they didn't go with their other favourite (though unimaginative) naming convention of using the terminal points which would have given us something like 407-CITY CENTRE and CITY CENTRE-PORT CREDIT.

• Like 1

Seems like some CP buses and Malton buses keep shifting between both garages. Been notching this mostly on the 06s 03s, and 05s. And 1909 is at Malton, my guess is their putting that bus their to test how the hybrids would do at Malton considering we’re getting 165 new Xcelsiors but I may be wrong.

With in-person classes resuming at Humber on March 7, Miway is resuming service on the 107 MALTON EXPRESS.

Route 107 Malton Express Resumes Service on March 7

On March 7, MiWay will restore service on Route 107 Malton Express as more courses and programs at the Humber College North Campus in Toronto move to in-person delivery.

Updated schedules for the Route 107 Malton Express will be available in our online trip planner a few days prior to March 7.

Route 107 was temporarily suspended on Jan. 7 in response to schools delaying in-person learning, which reduced customer demand, and transit operator staff shortages due to COVID-19 self-isolation requirements.

While MiWay continues to implement temporary service adjustments across the network in response to COVID-19 related staff shortages (symptomatic and isolations) to free up resources for re-allocation, MiWay express services are being restored as staffing levels stabilize.

Route 110 University Express resumed service on Feb. 7, as in-person learning at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) campus resumed, and Routes 101/101A Dundas Express resumed service on Feb. 21.

Will the 104 DERRY EXPRESS ever make a comeback or has the 42A DERRY (strange it wasn't given a branch name) pretty much filled the need?  Also, once the bridge work at the Credit River and Old Derry Rd. is completed are there plans to restore service to Meadowvale Village?  If they want to gradually re-introduce it (given the limitations of MiWay's budget) could they extend the 42A along Old Derry Rd. and loop at Financial to at least give some connections to the rest of the MiWay network?  Perhaps next year they could also either extend the 68 TERRY FOX up to Financial or figure out a way to have both the 38 CREDIVIEW (which would stay on Creditview, serve Financial and rejoin the route at Meadowvale Blvd. and 38A CREDITVIEW-ARGENTIA run during the week.  Since the restructuring of the 61 MAVIS, the Financial  Dr. area has lost a connection south into the rest of Mississauga.

12 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Seems like some CP buses and Malton buses keep shifting between both garages. Been notching this mostly on the 06s 03s, and 05s. And 1909 is at Malton, my guess is their putting that bus their to test how the hybrids would do at Malton considering we’re getting 165 new Xcelsiors but I may be wrong.

Yes, this has been the arrangement for many years now. Malton does not have full maintenance facilities (no need when Central is fully capable), so Malton buses occasionally get cycled down for major work/inspections. While at Central they sometimes get put into service until they can be returned home. A Central bus will cover for it at Malton until they're ready.

It still remains to be seen what fleet goes to Malton once the 06s start retiring. They usually try to keep the less-mechanically-complicated buses out of there, because as mentioned their maintenance department is less extensive than Central. Also remember that it is closed on weekends, so you might not want to keep all of your new buses there.

• Like 1

Structural work and any work that is body shop related is the one big thing Malton is not equipped to do, so buses requiring this work will get transferred temporarily. Many of the 2006 D40LFRs are needing another round of structural work to remain roadworthy until the new buses start arriving later this year and into 2023.

Some other factors that can impact bus movements is change offs, service calls and tows. These are often handled by the closest garage which can result in buses temporarily being swapped; and buses needing a tow are also towed to the closest garage. 

About 15 years ago Malton's maintenance was expanded and in 2019 it was expanded again and received a second wash bay, so the limitations are not as great as they were in the past.

• Like 1

Malton also parks their buses Vertically instead of horizontally on the west lot. And also is MiWay keeping the retired buses until the new order arrives? Haven’t seen anything come up on Mississauga tenders for about a year now.

4 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Malton also parks their buses Vertically instead of horizontally on the west lot. And also is MiWay keeping the retired buses until the new order arrives? Haven’t seen anything come up on Mississauga tenders for about a year now.

The tender for disposal of the decommissioned buses at Malton was posted yesterday afternoon. Most of these buses have been retired during 2020 and 2021. 

While past tenders have followed the practice of each unit being bid on individually, it appears based on the bid submission and pricing form that this is not a option with this tender and the city seeks one bid for all 31 buses. 

https://mississauga.bidsandtenders.ca/Module/Tenders/en/Tender/Detail/f5af3b4c-d5cd-41c1-8eeb-d3f55878488f

86628E84-BB6B-4F16-8658-1E78DD87FF48.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MiExpress said:

Structural work and any work that is body shop related is the one big thing Malton is not equipped to do, so buses requiring this work will get transferred temporarily. Many of the 2006 D40LFRs are needing another round of structural work to remain roadworthy until the new buses start arriving later this year and into 2023.

Some other factors that can impact bus movements is change offs, service calls and tows. These are often handled by the closest garage which can result in buses temporarily being swapped; and buses needing a tow are also towed to the closest garage. 

About 15 years ago Malton's maintenance was expanded and in 2019 it was expanded again and received a second wash bay, so the limitations are not as great as they were in the past.

Speaking of structural work, is MiWay doing anything related with the 2008 LFRs? I’ve never seen any of them receive body work and new paint jobs like the 2003-7 buses. Only thing new I see are those shiny new rims.

2 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Speaking of structural work, is MiWay doing anything related with the 2008 LFRs? I’ve never seen any of them receive body work and new paint jobs like the 2003-7 buses. Only thing new I see are those shiny new rims.

They are due for replacement in 2023 and that is saying something if the 15 year cycle has return.

The number of buses should remain the same as today once the LRT is up an running by the end of 2024. This will allow some expansion buses currently not been order at this time, but not that many. Seen a lot more 40-60 express buses on local routes these days.

43 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Wait so why do they want those 31 buses to be scrapped only? Can’t they be sold off to different companies and get refurbished or something like that, and get sent off to other agencies?

That’s not how it works, the buses are well beyond their service life and the city wants to recoup whatever costs they can off them. If someone wanted to buy them and refurbish and sell they can but it’s not Mississaugas prerogative to sell to someone to rebuild. They want them off their property and that’s it. 

• Like 1

There was a detour notice earlier today for southbound routes on Hurontario south of Britannia which has since been removed presumably after clearing up.  Buses were to divert west on Britannia, south on Avebury and east on Sandstone.  I don't recall seeing one for the 39 BRITANNIA, but Google Maps is still saying the intersection is closed to eastbound and southbound traffic.

The cause of the shutdown was an accidental natural gas leak just after noon.  Was this related to the Hurontario LRT construction (again, it won't be renamed the Hazel McCallion Line until it opens and enters service)?  If so, it appears they may have jinxed themselves be congratulating themselves last week for hitting 2 million safe work hours on the project.  Ironically, the photo used in that story isn't far from where the accident took place!  It looks like it was taken from the southwest corner of Hurontario and Sandstone.

Mississauga Hurontario LRT

I was going throw the tender for those miway buses which need to be scrapped and I noticed Femar Paving Limited is one of the plan takers. Anyone know why a paving company would want to purchase the buses? and what's 1338668 Ontario INC? I kept on getting an error searching up that company

3 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

I was going throw the tender for those miway buses which need to be scrapped and I noticed Femar Paving Limited is one of the plan takers. Anyone know why a paving company would want to purchase the buses? and what's 1338668 Ontario INC? I kept on getting an error searching up that company

Maybe they need it to shuttle workers? 

Just because a company registers as a document taker doesn't mean they actually have any interest in placing a bid, it could be simply a case of curiosity. Not all documents are available for preview and seeing as these companies would have a subscription to Bids and Tenders it costs them nothing to do so. 

Secondly I don't think posting about document takers is really necessary here for the reason stated above. 

None of these vehicles are roadworthy and they all have to be towed out. We're talking about buses that have been retired owing to their condition and many parts have been salvaged out of them. These buses require mechanical and/or structural repairs to gain their MTO certificates.  That doesn't mean they can't be brought back to a driveable condition, but as it stands they need to be towed out. MiWay will not allow repairs to be undertaken on their property to have these buses brought back to a driveable condition. 

Edited by MT0603
Fixed typo
  • Like 1

MiWay Electrification Feasibility Study

MiWay Hydrogen Fuel Cell Electric Bus Update – March 2022

• MiWay will continue to purchase hybrid buses to replace diesel buses until 2028.
  • Beginning in 2028, only electric buses will be purchased with conversion of the full fleet to electric buses by 2042. Based on testing and evaluation, it could be a combination of fuel cell and battery buses. 
  • Investigate the possibility of a pilot order, subject to available funding, of 30 electric buses to be purchased in 2025 to gain operational experience. The 30 buses will be assigned to the CX Annex Garage. The buses would be long range buses and charged overnight. This is in addition to the hydrogen fuel cell bus pilot.
  • Long range electric buses appear to be preferred, with on route charging ruled out due to constraints on route schedules and available locations to install chargers (many terminals are not actually MiWay property).
  • The main CP garage is currently not capable of supporting a full fleet of electric buses due to capacity reductions that would occur from charging installation. The garage would also require electrical infrastructure upgrades which Alectra is not willing to undertake unless major development occurs in the area.
  • Given the current constrains at CP garage, the new Meadowvale West Credit garage will have to be built by 2028 to accommodate the transition to electric buses. It will be capable of accommodating electric buses from day one.
  • By 2033, demolish and fully rebuild the Malton garage to accommodate electric buses.
  • By 2050, modifications to existing CP garage to accommodate electric buses.
  • The hydrogen fuel cell pilot continues with deployment of 10 buses from Malton targeted for 2023. Depending on the results of the test fuel cell and battery electric fleets, the fleet plan for 2028 and beyond could include a combination of fuel cell and battery electric buses. 
  • The acquisition of the test fleet of BEBs and major infrastructure requirements such as garage modifications and construction of West Credit Garage remain unfunded. There is always the possibility that timelines could slip.
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, DiltonPlayz said:

I rode it on the 20 a few weeks ago.. it sounded a little off when it slowed down, you could hear a "vrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm" on it..

If I’m not mistaken, that’s normal on any other unit In the fleet.

• Like 1

The Federal news release on the announcement if anyone wants more details.  CTV Toronto has the details in an infographic/chart:

mississauga-transit-info-1-5805862-1646416248097.png

I know I've seen a list or map of the intersections getting the queue jump lanes and signals that were piloted (not sure if the signalling was activated) at Dundas & Erin Mills but can't seem to find it right now.  But we know here that 8 intersections along both Derry and Eglinton and 9 intersections along Dixie are getting them.  Presumably they wouldn't be double-counted if the intersections of Derry & Dixe and Eglinton & Dixie were to get them.  If someone knows what I'm talking about or if I find it, I'll post it here.

37 minutes ago, Gil said:

The Federal news release on the announcement if anyone wants more details.  CTV Toronto has the details in an infographic/chart:

mississauga-transit-info-1-5805862-1646416248097.png

I know I've seen a list or map of the intersections getting the queue jump lanes and signals that were piloted (not sure if the signalling was activated) at Dundas & Erin Mills but can't seem to find it right now.  But we know here that 8 intersections along both Derry and Eglinton and 9 intersections along Dixie are getting them.  Presumably they wouldn't be double-counted if the intersections of Derry & Dixe and Eglinton & Dixie were to get them.  If someone knows what I'm talking about or if I find it, I'll post it here.

For the 314 buses, what year will those hey ordered?