MiWay

Orion VIII

The new bus is the standard bus on the wrong route based on colour due to lack of buses.

Seen routes that are almost 100% express buses on a local route. Then it been almost the opposite with local on express route and 2152 is an example of being local on express 109.

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Anyone know why the 21xx artics have the MiExpress type seats instead of the MiLocal seats found in the LFSes? Were they ordered as MiExpress but last minute painted into MiLocal scheme due to needing more orange buses?

The 21xx were ordered as local buses and have the seat fabric found in local buses. 

It looks like MiWay may have decided to standardize the seating type as the most recent tender for buses also specified the same seat style for both local and express.

According to a Facebook group, 0854, 0864, and 0857, also formerly Niagara Region transit 2830, 2831, and 2833 are currently En-route to Boulder Colorado to be used as Buff Buses. 2830 is reportedly heading to Boulder in the coming weeks. That makes 0855, 0873, 0879, and the other 3 I mention being used by the University. 

53 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Hopefully everyone including both drivers and the kids were alright. Does anyone know if there going to fix that? And give it a new front end or just write it off?

As long as there is not major damage to the frame. Seems MiWay buses have been victims of accidents these days.

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2021 at 1:47 PM, Cityflyer said:

Anyone know why the 21xx artics have the MiExpress type seats instead of the MiLocal seats found in the LFSes? Were they ordered as MiExpress but last minute painted into MiLocal scheme due to needing more orange buses?

No. The 2021 XDE60s dont have MiExpress seating inside. If you watched the video they have the MiLocal fabric design. You could be thinking of the D60LFRs that were converted over to MiLocal service which those still have the MiExpres fabric seating.

• Confused 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, hamilton.area.transit said:

No. The 2021 XDE60s dont have MiExpress seating inside. If you watched the video they have the MiLocal fabric design. You could be thinking of the D60LFRs that were converted over to MiLocal service which those still have the MiExpres fabric seating.

They're clearly referring to the seat design and not the fabric design.  

The 2021 XDE60s do have seating that since 2010 has been exclusive to the express fleet. 

Although as MiExpress mentioned the most recent bus tender spec'd the same seats for both the local and express buses so it appears they are moving away from having two different seat designs for the express and local buses. 

• Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 9:28 PM, PrimeTio said:

Yea, 0617, 1128, now 1739. As for 0617  it could be a write off but I haven’t heard anything about it yet.

I'm sure they could order a new front end from NOVA and fix it up. It's less than 5 years old. 

22 hours ago, Byfold said:

Or take the front end off 1738 that's currently sitting at a fire dept training center near Milton.

I don’t think they would use 1738s front end considering that bus has been used by the fire department. Mississauga Fire will probably use the front of the bus for training purposes but it’s all up to them and MiWay. Also 1739 is parked at one of the sick bays

New Flyer Has officially Been awarded the contract for 165 next Generation hybrid Electric buses. 

(74) 40 foot MiLocal buses must be delivered by December 12th 2022.

(16) 60 foot MiLocal buses must be delivered by December 12th 2022.

(53) 40 foot MiLocal buses must be delivered by June 5th 2023.

(22) 60 Foot MiExpress buses must be delivered by June 5th 2023. 

im not sure what the replacements will be but I know the 10xx artics will be replaced by the (22) MiExpress artics in 2023.

• Like 5

On 12/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, H4 5600 said:

Looks like route 57 will be modified in january. It will go from renforth station to sheridan college in brampton, and will no longer go to meadowvale.

Screenshot_20211206-192014_Chrome.jpg

This is going to be interesting, Sheridan is already cramped with the 61 & 66 filling the main area by the B building with space for really only 2 max and sharing essentially the same stop. Then you have the 53, 54 and 56 (BT) right behind it.

Then there is the the BT only lane which is full to the max so its going to be interesting to see how they manage to make another MiWay route work on the campus.

Imo if sheridan was thinking smarter they should've cut down some of the land in the massive island they have between the B building and BT bus lane to add another 2 bus stops for future proofing but i guess its too late for that now. Not that Sheridan would even budge to spend money on that anyway

57 to Sheridan seems like overkill to me. 66 seems getting out of control based on what I've seen, but maybe it's just temporary will all the construction and disruption along Hurontario?

66 could relieve Hurontario even better if it was combined with 28 as was originally planned years ago. A single route along the McLaughlin/Confederation corridor from Steeles to Queensway would do wonders for the system. Right now, between Glen Erin and Hurontario, the 38 Creditview is only continuous north-south route from Derry to Dundas. 48 Erin Mills only goes to Burnhamthorpe, and 61 Mavis and 66 McLaughlin go no further than Rathburn. They need another north-south connection to Dundas, complete the grid. Even 44 doesn't go all the way south to Dundas anymore.

Look how the ridership exploded when they finally extended 39 Britannia past Kennedy to Renforth. Another continuous east-west route to close the huge 5km gap between Derry and Eglinton was badly needed. Now they need to close the remaining 4km gap between Creditview and Hurontario.

In addition to merging 28/66, they should also consider merging 8/53 Cawthra/Kennedy, to give riders a second option to go from Derry to Lakeshore. Even Hurontario doesn't do that right now with the 103 going to further south than Queensway. And of course 5 Dixie, the one route from Derry to Lakeshore, is not direct to Lakeshore, it makes detour along Ogden.

Another north-south corridor to consider is Tenth Line-Ridgeway.

Yesterday, I saw articulated buses being used even 51 Tomken. These continuous north-south and east-west routes are badly needed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ngdvd said:

57 to Sheridan seems like overkill to me. 66 seems getting out of control based on what I've seen, but maybe it's just temporary will all the construction and disruption along Hurontario?

66 could relieve Hurontario even better if it was combined with 28 as was originally planned years ago. A single route along the McLaughlin/Confederation corridor from Steeles to Queensway would do wonders for the system. Right now, between Glen Erin and Hurontario, the 38 Creditview is only continuous north-south route from Derry to Dundas. 48 Erin Mills only goes to Burnhamthorpe, and 61 Mavis and 66 McLaughlin go no further than Rathburn. They need another north-south connection to Dundas, complete the grid. Even 44 doesn't go all the way south to Dundas anymore.

Look how the ridership exploded when they finally extended 39 Britannia past Kennedy to Renforth. Another continuous east-west route to close the huge 5km gap between Derry and Eglinton was badly needed. Now they need to close the remaining 4km gap between Creditview and Hurontario.

In addition to merging 28/66, they should also consider merging 8/53 Cawthra/Kennedy, to give riders a second option to go from Derry to Lakeshore. Even Hurontario doesn't do that right now with the 103 going to further south than Queensway. And of course 5 Dixie, the one route from Derry to Lakeshore, is not direct to Lakeshore, it makes detour along Ogden.

Another north-south corridor to consider is Tenth Line-Ridgeway.

Yesterday, I saw articulated buses being used even 51 Tomken. These continuous north-south and east-west routes are badly needed.

I don't know if part of the 57 COURTNEYPARK being routed up to Sheridan has to do with eliminating the duplicated service on Derry due to the bridge reconstruction on Old Derry.  If this is a permanent change then MiWay is hedging their bets that no one in Meadowvale Village will miss the bus service once the bridge reopens to traffic.  Maybe extending the route to Second Line will work if there is a demand for service?  It would mean a transfer at Mavis to either the 42 DERRY or 61 MAVIS.  

Another part may have come from Brampton with the move being made to facilitate passengers travelling from the Courtneypark industrial corridor up to Brampton.  A single-seat ride would free up capacity on the transfer routes heading north into Brampton.  I see similar trips on the 39 BRITANNIA with the majority switching northbound to the 502 ZÜM MAIN and the rest with the 66 McLAUGHLIN and a handful to the 61 MAVIS (unless they're actual Mississauga residents).  I don't see MiWay diverting that route and it's just far enough south to dissuade Brampton Transit from making a route of their own.

There are quite a number of people who board the 39 BRITANNIA around Tomken apparently bound for Brampton.  If the 51 TOMKEN were extended north into Brampton, where would be a suitable northern terminus?  Bramalea GO or Brampton Gateway on Steeles or further north to Bramalea City Centre?  Or perhaps just a large on-street loop on Advance to replace the temporarily cancelled 40 CENTRAL INDUSTRIAL?  I doubt there are many people willing to travel to Dixie to go north as it would require first transferring to MiWay's 5 DIXIE and then BT's 18 DIXIE to continue further north.  The 53 KENNEDY doesn't come often enough to make the connection with the BT 7 KENNEDY service or with the other Huronatrio corridor services at the 407 GO terminus.

As for filling in the gaps in the grid network in Mississauga I don't know what kind of demand there is on say Mavis.  When the 61 MAVIS was initially introduced it ran all the way down to the Mississauga Hospital, then was cut back to Dundas, then to City Centre.  The replacement 91 HILLCREST didn't fare much better.  If the route did not serve City Centre, would the forced transfers have sustained the route or are most of the passengers looking to go to Square One/transfer at City Centre?

The planned reconfiguration of the Transitway stations to turn them into terminus points for local routes has me thinking that something like a Kennedy-Cawthra route is on the radar.  Both Central Parkway and Cawthra are proposed to get bus bays, so I'm thinking the 10 BRISTOL and 8 CAWTHRA will eventually get evicted from City Centre.  Possibly to avoid having to deal with crossing Hurontario while the LRT is under construction.  If that's the case, it remains to be seen how they'll serve areas like Meadows and Mississauga Valley if the routes are truncated.

I'd like to see them actually have a continuous route along Ridgeway (with a terminal being planned at Dundas) and either Tenth Line or Churchill Meadows Blvd.  The current setup in Churchill Meadows (neighbourhood) means that there isn't a continuous 2-way route though it with the only options being to make multiple transfers or travel around the perimeter of the neighbourhood.  I don't know if that will induce demand or if it's just the result of travel patterns to key destinations in the community.

If the connections are convenient then I don't have a problem with transfers along a through route.  It's when they are not that I'd be more willing to find an alternate that is.  It could be a while before ridership rebounds to the point where there is talk of improving service.  The current budget for 2022 looks to maintain the existing service.  So any new service will be just a redeployment of existing service and not net new service to the network. 

• Like 1