MiWay

Orion VIII

On 9/12/2021 at 5:44 PM, Gil said:

Steve Munro has outlined the TTC Service Changes for October 10, 2021 and there's no mention about the potential handover of service on Burnhamthorpe and Bloor in Etobicoke.  Was there a timeline envisioned or are they still trying to work out the details (revenue and cost sharing) including amending the legislation to permit MiWay to provide the service within Toronto? 

I did notice a sign at the Kipling Terminal on how stops within Toronto are served.  I've been on more than a few trips where passengers don't realize how the Closed Door policy works and then get mad at the driver for enforcing those rules.  Placing the sign either more prominently in the Terminal or even at each bay might help as would an audio/visual message on board to the effect of "passengers may not exit the bus until reaching Mississauga" which on the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE wouldn't be played until it reaches Islington Station.  I wonder if the change to the Closed Door policy will apply just to the routes replacing the TTC service on Burnhamthorpe and Bloor or if it will apply to any MiWay route operating within Toronto?

Once MT takes over TTC routes, the close door policy will be history for those 2 routes only.

One one route is to see the change this year and more toward the end due to funding issues and both systems signing off to the plan, especially TTC

MT is sure running out of buses due to not ordering new ones while waiting for the Fed's to pay for them. Since council decided only hybrid buses are to be order, there is an extra cost doing so that council hasn't wrap their head around as well low ridership due to COVID-19.

With the Churchill Meadows Community Centre finally set to open next week, will that get the route restructuring in the Lisgar and Churchill Meadows back on track?  Pre-pandemic it was originally slated for October 2020 (see the excerpt from the 2020 Annual Service Plan below as a refresher).  Currently there is no way to directly access the new community centre by transit once it opens.  It'll require a bit of a walk from the Ninth Line and Erin Centre stop to get to.

image.thumb.png.d7663a89d68eb3730fbe0ace0cb9ba86.png

At the rate things are being planned along Ninth Line (and probably better to implement once all of the road improvements are completed) it might make some sense to have a route running down it from either Meadowvale Town Centre or Lisgar GO down to the proposed terminal in the Laird/Vega area.  It doesn't make much sense for Oakville Transit to service Ninth Line from a network connectivity standpoint unless it gets extended further south along Ford Dr. into Clarkson GO.  Peak period to start and increase service as ridership builds.

13 minutes ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

Two of our EZ Riders are parked in Hoboken NJ. I’m not sure what the Vins are or the fleet numbers since they were taken off.

Photos from an Instagram post.

2EC4B7D9-CCA8-4325-98DD-1818AE88A625.jpeg

6CC984F9-3EF8-4AD3-8710-B1C9C1ED91C7.jpeg

Academy Bus Lines purchased MiWay Transit 0930 to 0941 except for 0932 which was used for parts to support the remaining buses. The fleet numbers used by Academy Bus Lines is 2901 to 2911. I can also tell by the ex-London Transit Commission units and the NYU university bus shuttle. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Academy Bus Lines purchased MiWay Transit 0930 to 0941 except for 0932 which was used for parts to support the remaining buses. The fleet numbers used by Academy Bus Lines is 2901 to 2911. I can also tell by the ex-London Transit Commission units and the NYU university bus shuttle. 

930 through 941 (without 932) were bought in 2018, they became 2901-2911 and are already wrapped for Academy.

I do recall seeing these two in the photo back in December 2020, so I don't know which ones these are, but they are definitely not 2009 units.

8 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

930 through 941 (without 932) were bought in 2018, they became 2901-2911 and are already wrapped for Academy.

I do recall seeing these two in the photo back in December 2020, so I don't know which ones these are, but they are definitely not 2009 units.

These could be the 07s or 08s but we need Vins for confirmation.

10 minutes ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

2152 has arrived today, parked at CX thanks to Chad King on Facebook.

Saw the photos. They changed the seating and disabled one of the back seats so it cannot be sit on after how select seats on the existing fleet are closed off.

Moving forward, the seating configuration accounting for a different design that decreases the risk of falling out risking severe injury due to hard braking or unexpected stops. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Saw the photos. They changed the seating and disabled one of the back seats so it cannot be sit on after how select seats on the existing fleet are closed off.

Moving forward, the seating configuration accounting for a different design that decreases the risk of falling out risking severe injury due to hard braking or unexpected stops. 

In my opinion it’s pretty stupid what they did… I remember the driver on my bus breaking very hard and the person in the middle back seat didn’t move an inch. When it comes to rush hour I’ve seen many people sit on top of the cylinders they installed on the 19-20xx buses.

Edited by SpadinaAve2134
Grammar lol

2 hours ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

2152 has arrived today, parked at CX thanks to Chad King on Facebook.

Mind sharing the link or screenshots to the photos? Curious at how the interior is different.

Given it's an XDE60 with the BAE HDS300, I expect it to be highly similar to Vancouver's RapidBuses.

12 minutes ago, anyfong said:

Mind sharing the link or screenshots to the photos? Curious at how the interior is different.

Given it's an XDE60 with the BAE HDS300, I expect it to be highly similar to Vancouver's RapidBuses.

The Facebook groups are called:

Ontario Transit Enthusiast Group

Official Mississauga Transit/MiWay Group

And also 2152 displays “MiExpress” instead of MiLocal underneath the drivers windows which is pretty funny, can’t wait to see these on Express routes😜

2 hours ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

In my opinion it’s pretty stupid what they did… I remember the driver on my bus breaking very hard and the person in the middle back seat didn’t move an inch. When it comes to rush hour I’ve seen many people sit on top of the cylinders they installed on the 19-20xx buses.

Same experience I had on the R4 RapidBus in Vancouver. Was on the middle seat in the very back and during heavy braking I also did not move much. It's weird how MiWay appears to be the only operator that blocks that middle seat on the New Flyers and Novas, something that virtually no other operator does.

• Thanks 1

If Mississauga really wants to start going backwards and screwing up the system that many have worked so hard over the years to improve to what it is today, that's good on them. This is by far one of the most brain numbing, stupid decisions i've heard from any Transit Authority over the past decade.

Why dont they remove all stanchions too? I mean, since the risk is there that someone will hit their head on a hard break scenario right? Also while they're at it, why dont they remove some of the headlights on the Express buses? The risk is there that it might cause severe headaches and migraines to those who are light sensitive.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Don't be dramatic. I'm sure they have their reasons. 

They do, and we're all aware of those reasons it's not a secret. It's an idiotic decision; nothing more, nothing less.

I've seen far more people get injured by stanchions far more compared to people flying off of rear seats. Does that mean stanchions should be removed? No they shouldnt. Actually in fact, i've never seen anyone fly off a bus seat in my life.

1 minute ago, lip said:

They do, and we're all aware of those reasons it's not a secret.

It's an idiotic decision; nothing more, nothing less.

If this bothers you so much, here is an idea. Go work for MiWay. Rise through the ranks and get in a position to change it. 

2 hours ago, Someguy3071 said:

If this bothers you so much, here is an idea. Go work for MiWay. Rise through the ranks and get in a position to change it. 

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way at MT. Like it or not, its a pure BS decision and a poor one at that considering the 10's of 1,000's buses on the road in NA. I haven't heard of another system doing this or have issues as this. Rode 6 systems on the east coast this summer as well talked to a few systems personnel that were not drivers and nothing was stated like MT issues and before MT issue. What about the world?? Why are manufactures still building buses this way if there a safety issue with these seats?? 

Sorry, but far too many drivers have a lead foot regardless which system it is that you are toss around when coming to a stop. One of the 2 drivers for MT gave you a nice toss as well 4 TTC bus and one streetcar driver on Sunday. The other TTC drivers were ok.

3 hours ago, drum118 said:

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way at MT. Like it or not, its a pure BS decision and a poor one at that considering the 10's of 1,000's buses on the road in NA. I haven't heard of another system doing this or have issues as this. Rode 6 systems on the east coast this summer as well talked to a few systems personnel that were not drivers and nothing was stated like MT issues and before MT issue. What about the world?? Why are manufactures still building buses this way if there a safety issue with these seats?? 

So how is whining about it here going to change anything? 

3 hours ago, drum118 said:

Sorry, but far too many drivers have a lead foot regardless which system it is that you are toss around when coming to a stop. One of the 2 drivers for MT gave you a nice toss as well 4 TTC bus and one streetcar driver on Sunday. The other TTC drivers were ok.

I'm rolling my eyes at this comment. People complain that bus is slow. People complain bus is driving too fast.  Not all buses drive or brake the same. But as a passenger if you're not seated, you should be holding a stanchion whenever that vehicle is moving. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

So how is whining about it here going to change anything?

I think you missed the point that this is a "discussion board". Where points/ideas/topics are discussed. If you want to classify it as whining than by all means go ahead.

I’m sure they did it for liability reasons. Blocking out seats like they’re doing on the rear bench is only reducing total bus capacity, which obviously restricts revenue.  Someone must have obviously been thrown from the seat, and at the end of the day an injury is an injury, and they can argue that the exact same thing could happen to them riding any other MT bus. 

I think we’re all scratching our heads at this one, but what I’m saying is they must’ve done it for a reason, because removing seats is not in their best interests.

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I’m sure they did it for liability reasons. Blocking out seats like they’re doing on the rear bench is only reducing total bus capacity, which obviously restricts revenue.  Someone must have obviously been thrown from the seat, and at the end of the day an injury is an injury, and they can argue that the exact same thing could happen to them riding any other MT bus. 

I think we’re all scratching our heads at this one, but what I’m saying is they must’ve done it for a reason, because removing seats is not in their best interests.

Pretty much all it comes down to is risk assessment. Miway had an incident. The risk assessment/insurance department likely had to pay out to a passenger and someone somewhere said “instead of us dealing with this again, let’s just get rid of the risk” 

every major TA has a risk assessment department, some just have better things to do with their day and in reality miway is quite small so they’re able to focus on the “less” important issues a company such as the TTC would choose to not bother with 

just pretend you’re riding an Orion V without the middle seats 

image.thumb.jpeg.beacac59b6547729060090f942094173.jpeg

1 hour ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Pretty much all it comes down to is risk assessment. Miway had an incident. The risk assessment/insurance department likely had to pay out to a passenger and someone somewhere said “instead of us dealing with this again, let’s just get rid of the risk” 

every major TA has a risk assessment department, some just have better things to do with their day and in reality miway is quite small so they’re able to focus on the “less” important issues a company such as the TTC would choose to not bother with 

just pretend you’re riding an Orion V without the middle seats 

Exactly; its not worth paying out settlements and etc. over the losses of a few seats. 

That last line gives me a chuckle...reminded me of TTC's DD Orion 7s with their booster seat in the middle. Your feet couldn't even touch the ground if the bus performed an emergency brake. How things have changed. 

• Like 1