Jump to content

MiWay


Orion VIII
 Share

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, Gil said:

Judging by the posts in the YRT thread they'll be piloting a few route with open-door boarding as well.  Will the handful of Brampton Transit and DRT routes be included as well or do they have to be added individually? 

Regarding cross-fare boundary implementation, it is done by each agency which they have to budget the costs of providing the service and any additional service to cover the gap. Having to ensure that any new software changes is tested and implemented to ensure correct fares are charged between the boundaries via GPS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2021 at 1:08 AM, buschic said:

#KiplingTerminal

I did a full 3hr intensive Accessibility Audit at the Kipling Terminal on opening morning (545am-845am) it has a lot of issues.

 

over 35 issues were found, upper level staff of both MiWay & Metrolinx were present on opening day & were advised, some even asked to have me walk them around & show major issues.

Accessibility advocates should contact the South Etobicoke News to set the record straight. It just published an article entitled "Riders love the new terminal". It sounds like it was written by Metrolinx flunkies.

https://torontonewswire.com/riders-love-the-brand-new-73m-transit-hub-at-kipling-go-station/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

With GO Buses on a reduced schedule and MiWay revising service to Cooksville, I've been taking advantage of the 38 CREDITVIEW's new routing.  (I'm on the bus anyway to Erindale GO, but the scheduling allows me to catch the same bus at Cooksville GO with a lesser fare to Union!)  The operator change at Central Pkwy. is time-consuming and usually results in a delayed arrival which stresses out the passengers making the same trip as me.  I've now factored it into my trips now as the trip planners don't!

I'm all for the operators having a safe work environment, but some go into full decontamination when they switch on which makes me wonder what they think of their co-workers! 

MiWay also needs to either figure out the content they want to display on the screens at the GO stations that Metrolinx is installing or put a notice on the signs at the 28 CONFEDERATION and 53 KENNEDY bays that the buses only come by on weekdays.  There isn't even a system map to tell you that anywhere (obvious) at the station.  I had to tell someone waiting at the 28 CONFEDERATION stop on a weekend that she'd have to walk to catch her bus if she didn't want to wait for one of the other routes to take her there.

I've already filled out their comment form regarding the operator changeovers and the signage at Cooksville.  Just wondering how long before they take action.

IMG_20210515_2001068.jpg

IMG_20210515_1958341.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, Gil said:

I'm wondering if a farside stop westbound at Burnhamthorpe and Mill will be installed or the existing nearside stop moved to accommodate a rerouted 20 RATHBURN.  Those passengers along Rathburn Rd. in Mississauga trying to connect to the Burnhamthorpe corridor buses have few opportunities with only two common stops eastbound and none (currently) westbound.

Eliminating the TTC 50 BURNHAMTHORPE will eliminate a required bay in the redeveloped Islington terminal.  The attached document also mentions having shared terminal facilities once the Fare and Service Integration is implemented.  Given the current conditions I doubt much will happen at Kipling, but there may be implications at Finch if/when the subway gets extended further north.  If service were improved on the 30 REXDALE and 37 ISLINGTON/937 ISLINGTON ROCKET I suppose the 37A branch could be eliminated as well. 

I wonder how the TTC will display the integrated MiWay routes.  I presume the integration will apply system-wide and not just on certain corridors like Burnhamthorpe and Bloor.  It would allow for faster trips on the the 112 WEST MALL for example with passengers wanting to reach the northern end of the route to take a MiWay bus to Renforth Station  (which would essentially be an express service) and then transfer to the TTC.  There will obviously have to be a lot of promotion along both the Burnhamthorpe and Bloor corridors in Etobicoke that MiWay will be providing the service which will take some getting used to!  I've always thought that at the common MiWay and TTC stops where a shelter and map exist the connecting MiWay service should be shown at least going off the map.  Perhaps Metrolinx will standardize the map?  Or will we see the return of the GTA transit map?

I'm also hoping the broader Fare and Service Integration with GO and TTC results in the return of some sort of co-fare agreement.

So does it mean that we don't have to pay another fare when transferring between Miway and the TTC at either Kipling or Islington Station?? (or vice versa)

I live in the corridor where I can use both 49 Bloor West and 50 Burnhamthorpe, and I want to know what will happen once the routes are integrated? Does it mean we can transfer to the TTC subway without extra fare?? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, raptorjays said:

So does it mean that we don't have to pay another fare when transferring between Miway and the TTC at either Kipling or Islington Station?? (or vice versa)

I live in the corridor where I can use both 49 Bloor West and 50 Burnhamthorpe, and I want to know what will happen once the routes are integrated? Does it mean we can transfer to the TTC subway without extra fare?? 

Still in the works as well how you will have access to your current TTC station. I don't think you will have to pay an extra fare if you are paying for a TTC fare now. If you live in Mississauga and can use 49, you are part of the cause for a blood bath for 3 business case for taking over TTC 49 before now with 20 being added to the picture when it does happen.

Since Mississauga is about to start the 2022 budget process, guess it time to come off the sideline and deal with the lack of new buses that are past due to be order and not wait for the Fed's funding process. We got buses going into their 16-18 years of service long after the plan 15 and most likely will be 17-20 years old when replace. No order for the 400 plus has been place or tender with no sign as to when. Standard BS and cheapness by council related to transit these years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know the reason for the closure of the eastbound platform at the Dixie Transitway Station?  Transit Toronto makes it sound rather vague as the source material from MiWay's Service Update has very little in terms of details regarding the closure.

From Transit Toronto:

MiWay has announced that, starting Friday, June 11, it’s closed the eastbound station building at Dixie Station on the Mississauga Transitway. It has not explained why it’s closed the station.

All passengers must enter or exit the station through the westbound side of the station. Passengers who must exit the station or connect to other services can do so from the north station building. Security staff will escort eastbound passengers across the transitway roadway to and from the eastbound platforms.

The elevator in the eastbound station building is also unavailable.

The station closure affects eastbound passengers travelling aboard GO Transit buses along these routes:

  • 19 Mississauga / North York; and
  • 40 Hamilton / Pearson / Richmond Hill.

It also affects MiWay passengers aboard buses along these routes:

  • 5 Dixie;
  • 73 Kamato;
  • 74 Explorer; and
  • 109 Meadowvale express.

 

From MiWay:

  • The Dixie Transitway Station building (eastbound) is closed. Click here for details. Staff will be on platform level to assist customers until further notice. Customers who need to exit the station or connect to other services can do so from the north station building. For customer safety, MiWay requires that all customers be escorted by designated MiWay/Security staff. The eastbound elevator at Dixie Transitway Station is out of service.
ServiceUpdate_DixieStation_8-5x11.jpg

In an ideal world, there would have been accesses from the northbound Dixie Rd. stop down to the Transitway platforms.  It would create some useful redundancies and eliminate the need to either walk down to Eastgate Pkwy. to cross at the signal or the riskier dart/jaywalk across Dixie Rd. to get to the existing entrances to the Transitway station.  A stop or a pair of them at the Transitway access road off would facilitate transfers between the 5 DIXIE and the routes using that access road without the need to access the station itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Gil said:

Does anyone know the reason for the closure of the eastbound platform at the Dixie Transitway Station?  Transit Toronto makes it sound rather vague as the source material from MiWay's Service Update has very little in terms of details regarding the closure.

From Transit Toronto:

MiWay has announced that, starting Friday, June 11, it’s closed the eastbound station building at Dixie Station on the Mississauga Transitway. It has not explained why it’s closed the station.

All passengers must enter or exit the station through the westbound side of the station. Passengers who must exit the station or connect to other services can do so from the north station building. Security staff will escort eastbound passengers across the transitway roadway to and from the eastbound platforms.

The elevator in the eastbound station building is also unavailable.

The station closure affects eastbound passengers travelling aboard GO Transit buses along these routes:

  • 19 Mississauga / North York; and
  • 40 Hamilton / Pearson / Richmond Hill.

It also affects MiWay passengers aboard buses along these routes:

  • 5 Dixie;
  • 73 Kamato;
  • 74 Explorer; and
  • 109 Meadowvale express.

 

From MiWay:

  • The Dixie Transitway Station building (eastbound) is closed. Click here for details. Staff will be on platform level to assist customers until further notice. Customers who need to exit the station or connect to other services can do so from the north station building. For customer safety, MiWay requires that all customers be escorted by designated MiWay/Security staff. The eastbound elevator at Dixie Transitway Station is out of service.
ServiceUpdate_DixieStation_8-5x11.jpg

In an ideal world, there would have been accesses from the northbound Dixie Rd. stop down to the Transitway platforms.  It would create some useful redundancies and eliminate the need to either walk down to Eastgate Pkwy. to cross at the signal or the riskier dart/jaywalk across Dixie Rd. to get to the existing entrances to the Transitway station.  A stop or a pair of them at the Transitway access road off would facilitate transfers between the 5 DIXIE and the routes using that access road without the need to access the station itself.

A car crashed into the platform entrance at Street level

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

A car crashed into the platform entrance at Street level

Thanks!  I don't recall hearing about it in the news.  You'd think there would be even a brief explanation as to why the platform was closed.  Again, a second entrance on the west side of Dixie would have eliminated the need for the closure.  As to whether or not it would be an accessible entrance would be up to MiWay to decide if it was worth spending the funds on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Gil said:

Thanks!  I don't recall hearing about it in the news.  You'd think there would be even a brief explanation as to why the platform was closed.  Again, a second entrance on the west side of Dixie would have eliminated the need for the closure.  As to whether or not it would be an accessible entrance would be up to MiWay to decide if it was worth spending the funds on.

Credit to the instagram poster,

 

A722C638-89BF-4F1C-A1F2-DDC433EBDE0D.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For posterity's sake here are the upcoming Service Changes for June 28:

June 28, 2021 Service Changes

MiWay continues to provide a safe and reliable transit system, and is committed to delivering the right service at the right time while being responsive to changes in transit ridership demand.

Customer demand has grown on some routes and declined on others as many people have changed their travel patterns to work and school in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. MiWay is adjusting service frequencies across the network to ensure that service is available where and when customers need it, and the potential for overcrowding is reduced.

MiWay is committed to monitoring all routes in the transit system network so that service levels are responsive to customers’ needs and can change with shifts in demand as travel patterns continue to evolve.

MiWay will be implementing the following service changes on Monday, June 28, 2021:

Adding More Service on Corridors where Demand has Increased: Routes 42, 51 and 61

  • Route 42 – Derry will provide more Saturday service.
  • Route 51 – Tomken will provide more early morning service on weekdays.
  • Route 61 – Mavis will provide more late evening service on weekdays.

Service Frequency Reductions to Match Customer Demand: Various Routes

Schedules will be adjusted on the routes below; these routes will continue to be monitored for changes in customer demand:

  • Weekday: Routes 3-Bloor, 8-Cawthra, 13-Glen Erin, 20-Rathburn, 26-Burnhamthorpe, 28-Confederation, 42A-Derry (midday only), and 48-Erin Mills.
  • Saturday: Route 3-Bloor, 26-Burnhamthorpe, 46-Tenth Line-Osprey, and 109-Meadowvale Express.
  • Sunday: Route 109-Meadowvale Express.

MiWay will monitor these routes so that service levels can be adjusted as needed in the fall.

Service Changes due to Road Construction: City Centre Transit Terminal Bus Stop Changes and Route 44

  • Bus stop locations at the City Centre Transit Terminal will change due to upcoming construction on Rathburn Road for the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (LRT) project. Click here to view the terminal map.
  • Route 44 – Mississauga Road will return to its original routing because the construction on Mississauga Road, between Burnhamthorpe Road and Eglinton Avenue, is complete. Click here to view the routing.

Schedule Adjustments to Improve Service Reliability: Various Routes

Schedules will be adjusted on these routes in response to changes in traffic conditions:

  • Weekday: Routes 5-Dixie, 9-Rathburn-Thomas, 10-Bristol-Britannia, 23-Lakeshore, 30-Rexdale, 34-Credit Valley, 39-Britannia,  45-Winston Churchill, 45A Winston Churchill-Speakman, 53-Kennedy, 68-Terry Fox, 109-Meadowvale Express.
  • Saturday: Routes 5-Dixie, 9-Rathburn-Thomas, 10-Bristol-Britannia, 13-Glen Erin, 20-Rathburn, 23-Lakeshore, 28-Confederation, 30-Rexdale, 34-Credit Valley, 39-Britannia, 45-Winston Churchill, 45A Winston Churchill-Speakman, 48-Erin Mills, 61-Mavis.
  • Sunday: Routes 3-Bloor, 5-Dixie, 9-Rathburn-Thomas, 10-Bristol-Britannia, 13-Glen Erin, 20-Rathburn, 23-Lakeshore, 26-Burnhamthorpe, 28-Confederation, 34-Credit Valley, 39-Britannia, 45-Winston Churchill, 45A Winston Churchill-Speakman, 48-Erin Mills, 61-Mavis.

Seasonal Service Changes: Summer School Routes and Canada Day Service

  • Summer school routes will not operate this year due to summer school closures and online learning. Regular school service routes will continue to be suspended.
  • On Canada Day (Thursday, July 1, 2021), buses will operate on a holiday schedule and the following routes will not operate due to low customer demand: Routes 28 Confederation, 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line, 46 Tenth Line-Osprey, 48 Erin Mills, and 68 Terry Fox.

There are also revised Weekday, Saturday and Sunday system maps.

With the seemingly same slate of routes not operating on Holidays, they could create a Holiday map as well.  Perhaps they can just use a rush hour line treatment (hollow or dotted/dashed lines) on the Sunday route to identify which ones don't operate on holidays? 

Among the most notable change in bus stop locations at CCTT is that the 502 ZÜM MAIN bus will be the sole occupant of Platform O, currently the home of the 109N MEADOWVALE EXPRESS which shifts over to Platform N with the 20W RATHBURN.  The 76 CITY CENTRE-SUBWAY takes the 91 HILLCREST's old spot at Platform B.  While this makes for easier transfers between the 109 and other routes at CCTT, it will require the 502 change its routing in the area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, TDE said:

 Came across this tweet earlier today:

image.thumb.png.e558809b5a98243d0cd9bec8fd03de67.png

 

https://twitter.com/MiWayHelps/status/1419615995598188545

 

Saw that one. I know some transit agencies lock the foldable forward facing seats on the D40LF buses. It is the first row after the sideways seating where the accessibility space is. Not sure how MiWay Transit buses are setup since each transit agency has different specifications for how they want their seating layout to be between different models. 

Most likely someone flew out of their seat as a result of hard braking which led to injuries and even death. I can't find the exact post that responded to a similar situation where a transit agency was locking the forward facing seats that are foldable. Since it has been many years ago. 

Get ready for people trying to fold them down and being told "they don't fold down." 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, sdgta2008 said:

Route 11 Westwood has all Mi-Express buses assigned to it (2013s).  Do they do this often...?

The 11 has had MiExpress buses assigned regularly for most of the Summer.

Malton has 10 MiExpress buses (1301-1310) that are normally used on the 104 and 107, but with both routes currently suspended since December, it makes sense to still use the buses elsewhere rather than have them sitting in the garage collecting dust. There are also a number of Malton's 2006 local buses (0601-0653) either decommissioned or having to undergo major structural work which takes the bus out of service for 1-2 months.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MiExpress said:

The 11 has had MiExpress buses assigned regularly for most of the Summer.

Malton has 10 MiExpress buses (1301-1310) that are normally used on the 104 and 107, but with both routes suspended since December, it makes sense to still use the buses elsewhere rather than have them sitting in the garage collecting dust. 

 

That makes sense....  I wonder if 107 and 100 will be restored in September with the return of international travel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, sdgta2008 said:

That makes sense....  I wonder if 107 and 100 will be restored in September with the return of international travel.

The 107 will be restored in September (see summary below) however the 100 will not. As part of the city's 2021 budget, the 100 and 185 will remain cancelled in 2021.

The following changes will occur for September 6, 2021, which are mostly additional service reductions:

2: Saturday midday service reduced to 14 minutes from 12 minutes (-1 bus)

4: Revised routing to Sherway Gardens via Dixie, Queensway, West Mall, Evans

6: Weekday rush hour service reduced to 25 minutes from 18 minutes (-1 bus)

7: Saturday service between 5am-10am and 7pm-end increased to 38 minutes from 60 minutes

17: Saturday midday service reduced to 17 minutes from 13 minutes (-1 bus)

23: Weekday rush hour service reduced to 20 minutes from 17 minutes (-1 bus)

45: Weekday rush hour service reduced to 17-18 minutes from 14 minutes (-2 buses). Schedule adjustments to evening trips

57: Detour routing via Derry due to Old Derry bridge construction

61: Additional late evening trips on weekdays. Saturday/Sunday detour routing via Derry due to Old Derry bridge construction.

68: Sunday service eliminated

90: Saturday service eliminated

107: Route reinstated on weekdays only, operating all day between City Centre and Humber with 20 minutes frequency

109: Weekday midday service reduced to 20 minutes from 15 minutes (-2 buses)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am surprised there are still reductions coming as things are opening up more. Restrictions have eased and there will be more students in universities and colleges as well as more people going back to work. Word is that the 11-7 mall restrictions are going to loosen up too so that means most malls will be open longer hours. I can see reductions coming and more overcrowding. As it is I have seen buses with lots of people on them. Especially the 23. Everytime I get on it the bus is fairly full even with people standing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are the service reductions a result of reduced revenue?  With things tentatively reopening I would have presumed there’d be more service to deal with the additional passengers.  With schools returning to in-class learning, the high school specials should also be returning?

The 4 SHERWAY detour I believe is a long-term one connected to the Dixie Rd. interchange reconfiguration.  The detours for the Old Derry Rd. bridge will likely leave a significant section unserved as there are few alternate routes in the area. Given MiWay’s budget crunch I doubt they’ll have TTC-style shuttle service for the section of routing that is cut off due to the construction activity.

The loss of Sunday service on the 68 TERRY FOX is likely the result of a death spiral, where reductions in service led to fewer people riding it. I would make more use of it if it has a better schedule.  It already doesn’t see Holiday service, cutting Sunday service wasn’t a surprise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Gil said:

Are the service reductions a result of reduced revenue?  With things tentatively reopening I would have presumed there’d be more service to deal with the additional passengers.  With schools returning to in-class learning, the high school specials should also be returning?

Just because the restrictions are loosening doesn't mean that ridership is going to rebound back to where it was 2 years ago.

 

Ridership is has only recovered to about 50% of what it was on the TTC prior to March of last year. It's only about 20% on GO. The other transit agencies in the GTA are somewhere between those two numbers.

 

Dan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...