• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A message for all participants of this discussion board, but particularly this thread as the admin team seems to constantly receive reports from here: Please keep your conversations civil. There is

Precisely.     I know I'm not around here as much as I used to be but this thread is out of control. Can no one relax? How about thanking those who post info and photos instead of immediately ju

Good sir, I'm finding that you're posting a lot of useless inane drivel in this thread. I assume that given that you are (pretending?) to be a MiWay operator that you have a degree of maturity ab

Posted Images

I saw a notice on Britannia for a road closure on the evening of April 6 between Erin Mills and Winston Churchill but no explanation as what it's for.  The Service Update reported at MiWay.ca and Transit Toronto are just as vague with a Forensic Investigation cited as the reason for the closure.

Looking at the detour map, with the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK already at reduced frequency, would it be possible to run it along Windwood and Oka?  The only stop that would really be missed would be the Britannia and Winston Churchill one.  By 8pm you'd likely only catch the last run or two with the closure.  Either transfer to the 45 WINSTON CHURCHILL at Oka or the 39 BRITANNIA on the common section before the detour.  The 39 BRITANNIA being more frequent and running later into the closure, so the detour along Thomas seems appropriate.

Detour_Britannia-Apr6.jpg

Alternate detour?

image.thumb.png.ca0b0496cd8666f1180620e384ad2828.png

I guess with all of the confusion (the Britannia closure was revised to Wednesday night) not all of the drivers got the message.  I was following on Transit55 and missed a few screenshots but you can see what happened:

NOTABLE-00003.jpg   NOTABLE-00004.jpg

The 39 BRITANNIA buses had no problem with the detour, but it did delay them.  The 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK (0820) came upon the closure and waited while dispatch advised them of the detour routing.  It was probably in the right lane and needed to make the left onto Erin Mills.  Meanwhile the 13 GLEN ERIN (0805) got all the way up to Britannia and could not cross it and radioed dispatch.  It then turned around, and used Castlebridge Dr. to get to Winston Churchill and continued all the way to Battled before resuming regular routing.  Other 13 GLEN ERIN buses seemed to follow the prescribed detour later in the night.

In other detour news, the temporary detour on the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE at Kipling announced in March will become permanent with the next Service Change on April 26.  The Kipling-bound (as the eastbound route is currently running westbound on Bloor at this point) routing will continue to Kipling Ave., turn left and then right onto Dundas St. and continue to Subway Ct. to access Kipling Terminal.  While the South Common-bound routing will follow the original routing along Dundas St. through Six Points to Bloor St. and on to Islington Station. 

Aside from the schedule changes resulting in the routing changes already discussed here, the following routes also see their schedules modified: 2 HURONTARIO, 5 DIXIE, 7 AIRPORT, 16/16A MALTON, 17 HURONTARIO, 22 FINCH, 26 BURNHAMTHORPE, 35 EGLINTON, 42 DERRY (which includes "new late-night, Saturday, and Sunday trips"), 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA, 46 TENTH LINE-OSPREY, 49 McDOWELL, 53 KENNEDY, 66 McLAUGHLIN, 68 TERRY FOX, 71 SHERIDAN-SUBWAY, 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK, 90 TERRAGAR-COPENHAGEN and 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS.

I did an update to the wiki pages to reflect buses that have been decommissioned over the last few months.

To provide a summary of decommissioned in the last few months by fleet:

2003 D40LF: 0324 is the most recent retirement from this series. This leaves 20/44 buses still active.

2005 D40LF: 0512, 0520, 0527, 0540, 0565, 0570 

2006 D40LFR: 0602, 0603, 0620 (collision), 0632, 0653

2008 D40LFR: 0831 

2008 D60LFR: 0866, 0876 and 0878 have been retired. This leaves 0862, 0880, 0883 and 0884 as the final 4 remaining buses from this series. There is no guarantee they will remain until the 5 XDE60 buses arrive in the fall.

MiWay applied for federal infrastructure funding (ICIP program) which included funding to replace a large portion of the fleet but the funding still has not been approved almost 2 years after the fact which has put a wrench into bus replacement plans. It appears from here on out buses will be decommissioned based on condition, with both structural and mechanical issues being determining factors. Also, with MiWay's approach to doing major mechanical and structural work on an as needed basis rather than a scheduled rebuild/refurb the condition of buses in a subfleet can vary widely, especially structurally. Corrosion is a issue on many of the New Flyer LF/LFR buses. 

Finally, there was some discussion of the MiWay Infrastructure Growth Plan on the last page and while the city council report only included the executive summary and some maps, the full report with all appendixes has been posted on the website (large 500+ page pdf): https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MIGP_FINAL_with_Appendices_2020.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
4 hours ago, MiExpress said:

I did an update to the wiki pages to reflect buses that have been decommissioned over the last few months.

To provide a summary of decommissioned in the last few months by fleet:

2003 D40LF: 0324 is the most recent retirement from this series. This leaves 20/44 buses still active.

2005 D40LF: 0512, 0520, 0527, 0540, 0565, 0570 

2006 D40LFR: 0602, 0603, 0620 (collision), 0632, 0653

2008 D40LFR: 0831 

2008 D60LFR: 0866, 0876 and 0878 have been retired. This leaves 0862, 0880, 0883 and 0884 as the final 4 remaining buses from this series. There is no guarantee they will remain until the 5 XDE60 buses arrive in the fall.

MiWay applied for federal infrastructure funding (ICIP program) which included funding to replace a large portion of the fleet but the funding still has not been approved almost 2 years after the fact which has put a wrench into bus replacement plans. It appears from here on out buses will be decommissioned based on condition, with both structural and mechanical issues being determining factors. Also, with MiWay's approach to doing major mechanical and structural work on an as needed basis rather than a scheduled rebuild/refurb the condition of buses in a subfleet can vary widely, especially structurally. Corrosion is a issue on many of the New Flyer LF/LFR buses. 

Finally, there was some discussion of the MiWay Infrastructure Growth Plan on the last page and while the city council report only included the executive summary and some maps, the full report with all appendixes has been posted on the website (large 500+ page pdf): https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MIGP_FINAL_with_Appendices_2020.pdf

Wait hold on... What happened to 0831?

• Haha 1

I am surprise that there are still 2008 60's on the road today given the fact that most 60's use to make 11 years with a number only hitting 10. Those 4 60's are entering their 13 years. Then you got 2003 entering their 18th years and 3 years past retirement.

miWay staff and personnel are nearing the point of what to do and thank COVID-19 for delaying what to do if ridership keep growing to put service on the road when there are no buses to do so.

Council still think with their feet as if you have access to a car you can get around your safe and we can keep your taxes low while those who don't, deal with the crush load or start walking.

Council hasn't change much since 2000 when I started to deal with then on transit as they still want low density that does not support transit nor help to fund it in the first place.

Getting expansion buses and more service 7 days a week been a joke as well not increasing the model split for transit in that same time frame which is about 3% more than 2001 before COVID-19 hit.

Council knew a few years before ICIP came out that they had a huge bus order coming as well moving to the HEV buses in place of diesel that will become E buses in the coming years that will cost more than the past.

We should be receiving 2003 bus replacement now starting late last year if council had open wallet than lets wait another year or two. Almost have to say Hazel was running council and her close purse for buying buses.

You got to thank the people who can keep putting old buses on the road to service riders that should be working on new ones.

At this stage, 2003-2008 will remain in service until it too costly to do so as well meet the standards to be on the road in the first place.

23 hours ago, drum118 said:

I am surprise that there are still 2008 60's on the road today given the fact that most 60's use to make 11 years with a number only hitting 10. Those 4 60's are entering their 13 years. Then you got 2003 entering their 18th years and 3 years past retirement.

miWay staff and personnel are nearing the point of what to do and thank COVID-19 for delaying what to do if ridership keep growing to put service on the road when there are no buses to do so.

Council still think with their feet as if you have access to a car you can get around your safe and we can keep your taxes low while those who don't, deal with the crush load or start walking.

Council hasn't change much since 2000 when I started to deal with then on transit as they still want low density that does not support transit nor help to fund it in the first place.

Getting expansion buses and more service 7 days a week been a joke as well not increasing the model split for transit in that same time frame which is about 3% more than 2001 before COVID-19 hit.

Council knew a few years before ICIP came out that they had a huge bus order coming as well moving to the HEV buses in place of diesel that will become E buses in the coming years that will cost more than the past.

We should be receiving 2003 bus replacement now starting late last year if council had open wallet than lets wait another year or two. Almost have to say Hazel was running council and her close purse for buying buses.

You got to thank the people who can keep putting old buses on the road to service riders that should be working on new ones.

At this stage, 2003-2008 will remain in service until it too costly to do so as well meet the standards to be on the road in the first place.

Maybe the 03 and 08s artics were just built really well? lol

Brampton still has their 02/03s active.

Looks like a return somewhat of the old 54 HERSHEY EXPRESS with the introduction of the Paramount Vaccine Clinic Shuttle.

Paramount Vaccine Clinic Shuttle

Starting Monday, April 19, 2021, a round-trip shuttle service between the City Centre Transit Terminal and the Paramount Fine Foods Centre Sportsplex Vaccination Clinic will be available to help residents get to and from COVID-19 vaccination appointments.

The shuttle is a three-week pilot project that runs from April 19 to May 9 and is part of the Region of Peel’s Transportation Assistance Program. The shuttle service hours align with the clinic’s hours of operation.

A MiWay fare is required to ride the Paramount Vaccine Clinic Shuttle. Customers can use PRESTO or a paper transfer to board and transfer between different buses on MiWay, or to transfer to public transit in neighbouring cities.

With PRESTO, your transfer is active for two hours from when you first tap your card on the bus (and you don’t need a paper transfer).

Bus Schedule

The shuttle runs Monday to Sunday, about every 40 minutes between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Click here for the bus schedule, effective April 19, 2021.

Note: Clinic and shuttle hours of operation are subject to change.

NAV_ParamountVaccineShuttle_825x754-1.png

Initial news reports had stated that the service was free.  They've clarified that it's a paid route on MiWay's website.  Given that the schedule allows for 15 minutes travel time I'm not sure if it will be making any stops along the way at transfer points (Rathburn & Central Pkwy, Central Pkwy Stn., Eglinton, Bristol, Matheson or Kennedy & Coopers).  Google says the trip along that routing takes 9 minutes and it's not advertised as an express route.  This follows the TTC's 200 MITCHELL FIELDS ARENA SHUTTLE which Transit Toronto recently reported on.

UPDATE: According to CP24 the shuttle will run express between CCTT and the Paramount Centre Vaccination Clinic.

Despite surrounding vaccination clinics in Toronto and York shutting down early due to lack of vaccine supplies, Peel has said it currently has enough supply and is not concerned about having to prematurely shut the clinics down.  I wonder if the route has a (likely internal) route number or if it will show up on trip planning websites seeing as the next service change is a week away.

In other news, I thought I'd share a hastily drawn map (the internal airport roads were missing for one) of the overnight services in Mississauga I had posted in the DRT thread.  I opted for blue as the orange didn't really contrast well with the TREB boundaries on the base map.  The next service change had mentioned later service on the 42 DERRY, but there's still a 4-hour gap in service overnight, so it's not quite an addition to the network.

image.thumb.png.a4741ade51fd488a95fc48c6738fd2fc.png

Edited by Gil
Updated details
  • Like 1