1 hour ago, drum118 said:

miWay new bus..................haaaaaaa

1617317124683-png.309681

That would effectively double the number of bicycles a bus could carry.  If they could figure out a way to ensure the security of the bikes on the rear rack and how a driver can tell when it's safe to drive when a bike is being loaded or unloaded from the rear rack then we may be onto something here.  I know GO drivers are hesitant to take more than the 2 bikes in the rack as they would have to be stored in the luggage bins underneath or on board a double decker.  Municipal transit buses don't come with the extra storage option underneath and are likely just as wary of taking additional bikes especially on a popular route where space us at a premium.  I don't see them going the way of TTC streetcars and adding bike racks inside (tradeoff for not being able to mount them in the front) any time soon. 

12 hours ago, Gil said:

That would effectively double the number of bicycles a bus could carry.  If they could figure out a way to ensure the security of the bikes on the rear rack and how a driver can tell when it's safe to drive when a bike is being loaded or unloaded from the rear rack then we may be onto something here.  I know GO drivers are hesitant to take more than the 2 bikes in the rack as they would have to be stored in the luggage bins underneath or on board a double decker.  Municipal transit buses don't come with the extra storage option underneath and are likely just as wary of taking additional bikes especially on a popular route where space us at a premium.  I don't see them going the way of TTC streetcars and adding bike racks inside (tradeoff for not being able to mount them in the front) any time soon. 

Someone missed the fact that it was April fool’s day yesterday lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
16 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Someone missed the fact that it was April fool’s day yesterday lol

I know the image was an April Fool's gag, but I was serious about a rear bike rack on a bus.  I don't know if they're a better solution than larger front-mounted racks to accommodate more bikes.  I've also wondered, what measures would a driver take if someone other than the owner attempted to remove a bike from the rack, say when the bus is stopped or stuck in traffic? 

25 minutes ago, Gil said:

I know the image was an April Fool's gag, but I was serious about a rear bike rack on a bus.  I don't know if they're a better solution than larger front-mounted racks to accommodate more bikes.  I've also wondered, what measures would a driver take if someone other than the owner attempted to remove a bike from the rack, say when the bus is stopped or stuck in traffic? 

Two things make it a non starter. 
1. it impedes access for maintenance.

2. It’s not in the operator’s direct line of sight.

• Like 3

I saw a notice on Britannia for a road closure on the evening of April 6 between Erin Mills and Winston Churchill but no explanation as what it's for.  The Service Update reported at MiWay.ca and Transit Toronto are just as vague with a Forensic Investigation cited as the reason for the closure.

Looking at the detour map, with the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK already at reduced frequency, would it be possible to run it along Windwood and Oka?  The only stop that would really be missed would be the Britannia and Winston Churchill one.  By 8pm you'd likely only catch the last run or two with the closure.  Either transfer to the 45 WINSTON CHURCHILL at Oka or the 39 BRITANNIA on the common section before the detour.  The 39 BRITANNIA being more frequent and running later into the closure, so the detour along Thomas seems appropriate.

Detour_Britannia-Apr6.jpg

Alternate detour?

image.thumb.png.ca0b0496cd8666f1180620e384ad2828.png

I guess with all of the confusion (the Britannia closure was revised to Wednesday night) not all of the drivers got the message.  I was following on Transit55 and missed a few screenshots but you can see what happened:

NOTABLE-00003.jpg   NOTABLE-00004.jpg

The 39 BRITANNIA buses had no problem with the detour, but it did delay them.  The 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK (0820) came upon the closure and waited while dispatch advised them of the detour routing.  It was probably in the right lane and needed to make the left onto Erin Mills.  Meanwhile the 13 GLEN ERIN (0805) got all the way up to Britannia and could not cross it and radioed dispatch.  It then turned around, and used Castlebridge Dr. to get to Winston Churchill and continued all the way to Battled before resuming regular routing.  Other 13 GLEN ERIN buses seemed to follow the prescribed detour later in the night.

In other detour news, the temporary detour on the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE at Kipling announced in March will become permanent with the next Service Change on April 26.  The Kipling-bound (as the eastbound route is currently running westbound on Bloor at this point) routing will continue to Kipling Ave., turn left and then right onto Dundas St. and continue to Subway Ct. to access Kipling Terminal.  While the South Common-bound routing will follow the original routing along Dundas St. through Six Points to Bloor St. and on to Islington Station. 

Aside from the schedule changes resulting in the routing changes already discussed here, the following routes also see their schedules modified: 2 HURONTARIO, 5 DIXIE, 7 AIRPORT, 16/16A MALTON, 17 HURONTARIO, 22 FINCH, 26 BURNHAMTHORPE, 35 EGLINTON, 42 DERRY (which includes "new late-night, Saturday, and Sunday trips"), 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA, 46 TENTH LINE-OSPREY, 49 McDOWELL, 53 KENNEDY, 66 McLAUGHLIN, 68 TERRY FOX, 71 SHERIDAN-SUBWAY, 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK, 90 TERRAGAR-COPENHAGEN and 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS.

I did an update to the wiki pages to reflect buses that have been decommissioned over the last few months.

To provide a summary of decommissioned in the last few months by fleet:

2003 D40LF: 0324 is the most recent retirement from this series. This leaves 20/44 buses still active.

2005 D40LF: 0512, 0520, 0527, 0540, 0565, 0570 

2006 D40LFR: 0602, 0603, 0620 (collision), 0632, 0653

2008 D40LFR: 0831 

2008 D60LFR: 0866, 0876 and 0878 have been retired. This leaves 0862, 0880, 0883 and 0884 as the final 4 remaining buses from this series. There is no guarantee they will remain until the 5 XDE60 buses arrive in the fall.

MiWay applied for federal infrastructure funding (ICIP program) which included funding to replace a large portion of the fleet but the funding still has not been approved almost 2 years after the fact which has put a wrench into bus replacement plans. It appears from here on out buses will be decommissioned based on condition, with both structural and mechanical issues being determining factors. Also, with MiWay's approach to doing major mechanical and structural work on an as needed basis rather than a scheduled rebuild/refurb the condition of buses in a subfleet can vary widely, especially structurally. Corrosion is a issue on many of the New Flyer LF/LFR buses. 

Finally, there was some discussion of the MiWay Infrastructure Growth Plan on the last page and while the city council report only included the executive summary and some maps, the full report with all appendixes has been posted on the website (large 500+ page pdf): https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MIGP_FINAL_with_Appendices_2020.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
4 hours ago, MiExpress said:

I did an update to the wiki pages to reflect buses that have been decommissioned over the last few months.

To provide a summary of decommissioned in the last few months by fleet:

2003 D40LF: 0324 is the most recent retirement from this series. This leaves 20/44 buses still active.

2005 D40LF: 0512, 0520, 0527, 0540, 0565, 0570 

2006 D40LFR: 0602, 0603, 0620 (collision), 0632, 0653

2008 D40LFR: 0831 

2008 D60LFR: 0866, 0876 and 0878 have been retired. This leaves 0862, 0880, 0883 and 0884 as the final 4 remaining buses from this series. There is no guarantee they will remain until the 5 XDE60 buses arrive in the fall.

MiWay applied for federal infrastructure funding (ICIP program) which included funding to replace a large portion of the fleet but the funding still has not been approved almost 2 years after the fact which has put a wrench into bus replacement plans. It appears from here on out buses will be decommissioned based on condition, with both structural and mechanical issues being determining factors. Also, with MiWay's approach to doing major mechanical and structural work on an as needed basis rather than a scheduled rebuild/refurb the condition of buses in a subfleet can vary widely, especially structurally. Corrosion is a issue on many of the New Flyer LF/LFR buses. 

Finally, there was some discussion of the MiWay Infrastructure Growth Plan on the last page and while the city council report only included the executive summary and some maps, the full report with all appendixes has been posted on the website (large 500+ page pdf): https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MIGP_FINAL_with_Appendices_2020.pdf

Wait hold on... What happened to 0831?

• Haha 1

I am surprise that there are still 2008 60's on the road today given the fact that most 60's use to make 11 years with a number only hitting 10. Those 4 60's are entering their 13 years. Then you got 2003 entering their 18th years and 3 years past retirement.

miWay staff and personnel are nearing the point of what to do and thank COVID-19 for delaying what to do if ridership keep growing to put service on the road when there are no buses to do so.

Council still think with their feet as if you have access to a car you can get around your safe and we can keep your taxes low while those who don't, deal with the crush load or start walking.

Council hasn't change much since 2000 when I started to deal with then on transit as they still want low density that does not support transit nor help to fund it in the first place.

Getting expansion buses and more service 7 days a week been a joke as well not increasing the model split for transit in that same time frame which is about 3% more than 2001 before COVID-19 hit.

Council knew a few years before ICIP came out that they had a huge bus order coming as well moving to the HEV buses in place of diesel that will become E buses in the coming years that will cost more than the past.

We should be receiving 2003 bus replacement now starting late last year if council had open wallet than lets wait another year or two. Almost have to say Hazel was running council and her close purse for buying buses.

You got to thank the people who can keep putting old buses on the road to service riders that should be working on new ones.

At this stage, 2003-2008 will remain in service until it too costly to do so as well meet the standards to be on the road in the first place.

23 hours ago, drum118 said:

I am surprise that there are still 2008 60's on the road today given the fact that most 60's use to make 11 years with a number only hitting 10. Those 4 60's are entering their 13 years. Then you got 2003 entering their 18th years and 3 years past retirement.

miWay staff and personnel are nearing the point of what to do and thank COVID-19 for delaying what to do if ridership keep growing to put service on the road when there are no buses to do so.

Council still think with their feet as if you have access to a car you can get around your safe and we can keep your taxes low while those who don't, deal with the crush load or start walking.

Council hasn't change much since 2000 when I started to deal with then on transit as they still want low density that does not support transit nor help to fund it in the first place.

Getting expansion buses and more service 7 days a week been a joke as well not increasing the model split for transit in that same time frame which is about 3% more than 2001 before COVID-19 hit.

Council knew a few years before ICIP came out that they had a huge bus order coming as well moving to the HEV buses in place of diesel that will become E buses in the coming years that will cost more than the past.

We should be receiving 2003 bus replacement now starting late last year if council had open wallet than lets wait another year or two. Almost have to say Hazel was running council and her close purse for buying buses.

You got to thank the people who can keep putting old buses on the road to service riders that should be working on new ones.

At this stage, 2003-2008 will remain in service until it too costly to do so as well meet the standards to be on the road in the first place.

Maybe the 03 and 08s artics were just built really well? lol

Brampton still has their 02/03s active.

Looks like a return somewhat of the old 54 HERSHEY EXPRESS with the introduction of the Paramount Vaccine Clinic Shuttle.

Paramount Vaccine Clinic Shuttle

Starting Monday, April 19, 2021, a round-trip shuttle service between the City Centre Transit Terminal and the Paramount Fine Foods Centre Sportsplex Vaccination Clinic will be available to help residents get to and from COVID-19 vaccination appointments.

The shuttle is a three-week pilot project that runs from April 19 to May 9 and is part of the Region of Peel’s Transportation Assistance Program. The shuttle service hours align with the clinic’s hours of operation.

A MiWay fare is required to ride the Paramount Vaccine Clinic Shuttle. Customers can use PRESTO or a paper transfer to board and transfer between different buses on MiWay, or to transfer to public transit in neighbouring cities.

With PRESTO, your transfer is active for two hours from when you first tap your card on the bus (and you don’t need a paper transfer).

Bus Schedule

The shuttle runs Monday to Sunday, about every 40 minutes between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Click here for the bus schedule, effective April 19, 2021.

Note: Clinic and shuttle hours of operation are subject to change.

NAV_ParamountVaccineShuttle_825x754-1.png

Initial news reports had stated that the service was free.  They've clarified that it's a paid route on MiWay's website.  Given that the schedule allows for 15 minutes travel time I'm not sure if it will be making any stops along the way at transfer points (Rathburn & Central Pkwy, Central Pkwy Stn., Eglinton, Bristol, Matheson or Kennedy & Coopers).  Google says the trip along that routing takes 9 minutes and it's not advertised as an express route.  This follows the TTC's 200 MITCHELL FIELDS ARENA SHUTTLE which Transit Toronto recently reported on.

UPDATE: According to CP24 the shuttle will run express between CCTT and the Paramount Centre Vaccination Clinic.

Despite surrounding vaccination clinics in Toronto and York shutting down early due to lack of vaccine supplies, Peel has said it currently has enough supply and is not concerned about having to prematurely shut the clinics down.  I wonder if the route has a (likely internal) route number or if it will show up on trip planning websites seeing as the next service change is a week away.

In other news, I thought I'd share a hastily drawn map (the internal airport roads were missing for one) of the overnight services in Mississauga I had posted in the DRT thread.  I opted for blue as the orange didn't really contrast well with the TREB boundaries on the base map.  The next service change had mentioned later service on the 42 DERRY, but there's still a 4-hour gap in service overnight, so it's not quite an addition to the network.

image.thumb.png.a4741ade51fd488a95fc48c6738fd2fc.png

Edited by Gil
Updated details
  • Like 1

For posterity's sake since it hasn't already been posted the April 26, 2021 Service Changes (we've already seen the changes to the 4 SHERWAY GARDENS, 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS, 38 CREDITVIEW and 91 HILLCREST which were announced earlier):

April 26, 2021 service changes

MiWay will implement these changes on April 26:

1. Schedules will change on various routes to respond to ridership demand and ensure service reliability (see list below).
  2. Route 91 – Hillcrest-Cooksville GO will be cancelled. Route 4 Sherway Gardens and Route 6 Credit Woodlands are alternate routes.
  3. Route 4 Sherway Gardens will have new routing and schedules. It will be extended to service the Cooksville GO Station.
  4. Route 38/38A – Creditview will have new routing and schedules. It will be extended to service the Cooksville GO Station.
  5. Route 6 Credit Woodlands will be revised to service Webb Drive and Duke of York Blvd (previously serviced by cancelled route 91).
  6. Route 42 Derry will provide new weekday and weekend trips to respond to increasing demand.
  7. Route 51 Tomken will provide new weekday trips to respond to increasing demand.
  8. Route 66 McLaughlin will provide new weekday and weekend trips to respond to increasing demand.
  9. On Victoria Day (Monday, May 24, 2021) buses will operate on a holiday schedule and some routes will not operate due to low customer demand (see list below).

1. Schedules will change on various routes to respond to ridership demand and ensure service reliability.

Please check for updated schedules, starting April 26, 2021, on these routes:

• Route 2 Hurontario
  • Route 4 Sherway Gardens
  • Route 5 Dixie
  • Route 6 Credit Woodlands
  • Route 7 Airport
  • Route 16/16A Malton
  • Route 17 Hurontario
  • Route 22 Finch
  • Route 26 Burhamthrope (East)
  • Route 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line (West)
  • Route 38 Creditview
  • Route 38A Creditview – Argentia
  • Route 42 Derry
  • Route 43 Matheson-Argentia
  • Route 46 Tenth Line – Osprey
  • Route 49 McDowell
  • Route 51 Tomken
  • Route 53 Kennedy
  • Route 61 Mavis (North)
  • Route 66 McLaughlin
  • Route 68 Terry Fox
  • Route 71 Sheridan-Subway
  • Route 87 Meadowvale-Skymark
  • Route 90 Terragar-Copenhagen
  • Route 101 Dundas Express
  • Route 103 Hurontario Express (North)

2. Route 91 – Hillcrest-Cooksville GO will be cancelled.

This route will be cancelled due to low customer demand.

Alternate routes:
  • Route 4 – Sherway Gardens: Offering daily service on Hillcrest Avenue. Customers can travel to Cooksville GO and transfer to Route 2 or Route 28 to connect to the City Centre Transit Terminal.
  • Route 6 – Credit Woodlands: Offering service on Webb Drive east of Confederation Parkway and connections to the City Centre Transit Terminal.

Click here to view alternate route options: Route 4 and Route 6.

3. Route 4 Sherway Gardens will have new routing and schedules.

• This route will be extended to service the Cooksville GO Station via Hillcrest Avenue (previously serviced by cancelled Route 91) and improve transit network connections.
  • It will no longer service Glengarry Road or Cedarglen Gate or part of the Huron Park area west of Mavis Road.
  • There will be a trip in the morning and in the midday to service Huron Park Community Centre and St. Martin Secondary School.
  • Customers who need to transfer to Route 38 – Creditview can do so at Cooksville GO Station or Mavis Road and Dundas Street.
  • Schedules will be revised.

Click here to view the revised routing.

4. Route 38/38A – Creditview will have new routing and schedules.

• This route will be extended to service the Cooksville GO Station via Hillcrest Avenue (previously serviced by cancelled Route 91) and improve transit network connections.
  • It will no longer service Glengarry Road and Cedarglen Gate.
  • Customers who need to transfer to Route 4 – Sherway Gardens can do so at Cooksville GO Station or Mavis Road and Dundas Street.
  • Schedules will be revised.

Click here to view the revised routing for Route 38.
Click here to view the revised routing for Route 38A.

5. Route 6 Credit Woodlands will have revised routing

Route 6 Credit Woodlands will be revised to service Webb Drive and Duke of York Blvd, between Burnhamthorpe Road and Confederation Parkway (previously serviced by cancelled route 91).

Click here to view the revised routing.

6. Route 42 Derry will provide new weekday and weekend trips.

New weekday, late-night trips, and weekend trips will be added to respond to increasing demand – check for updated schedules.

7. Route 51 Tomken will provide new weekday trips.

New weekday trips will be added to respond to increasing demand – check for updated schedules.

8. Route 66 McLaughlin will provide new weekday and weekend trips.

New weekday and weekend trips will be added to respond to increasing demand – check for updated schedules.

9. On Victoria Day (Monday, May 24, 2021) buses will operate on a holiday schedule.

The following routes will not operate due to low customer demand:

• Route 28 – Confederation
  • Route 35 – Eglinton-Ninth Line
  • Route 46 – Tenth Line-Osprey
  • Route 48 – Erin Mills
  • Route 68 – Terry Fox

Next service change – Monday, June 28, 2021.

New System Maps are also available: Weekday, Express, Saturday, Sunday/Holiday

The 91 HILLCREST being cancelled "due to low demand" but aside from the segment of Mavis between Central Pkwy. and Hillcrest is being entirely replaced by other routes.  What part of it was low demand then? 

The 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA/87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK are slated for schedule changes, but it only looks like a tweak in scheduling and not some restoration of full pre-COVID service.  Also, this pair of routes runs between Meadowvale Town Centre and Skymark Hub/Renforth Station as does the 39 BRITANNIA.  The former are designated as north-south routes while the latter is an east-west route.  The 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA does go further north along Argentia before doubling back to get to Meadowvale TC while the 39 BRITANNIA goes marginally further south actually entering Renforth Station.  Don't get me started on the inconsistencies of all of the hyphenated routes!

They did add a link to the MiWay Infrastructure Growth Plan in the Service Updates dropdown menu with a link to the actual report at the end.  I still think they made a mistake with their symbology for categorizing terminals.  Following the logical progression of the symbols (Through Terminal, Turnaround Terminal, Connect Terminal and Connect and Turnaround Terminal) the symbols for the last two should be switched. 

image.thumb.png.b9fe4e15189947e5e1c8fb9f874e1a5a.png

There are some interesting scenarios also presented in the report on improving terminal facilities.  This looks to probably form the basis for the next MiWay5 plan which is still in the works.

Also in the plan regarding terminals, it alludes to the hospitals (Credit Valley in particular) not wanting to allow other routes in or expand the existing facilities.  This seems rather short-sighted.  Given the changing demographics of Mississauga, it seems strange to want to shut out those who do not have access to a car.  Granted, both Trillium and Credit Valley have their transit terminals right next to the ambulance entrances which is probably why they don't want additional bus traffic.  But could the hospitals not work with MiWay to find a better location on the respective sites?  Trillium is easier to walk in to off the street from Queensway, Credit Valley unfortunately due to the way it's positioned is more of a hike to the main entrance from either Eglinton or Erin Mills whether you stay outside or cut through the hospital.

Seeing as the Paramount Centre Vaccine Shuttle is a temporary service it doesn't show up on transit feeds, so you're left to pull up the schedule on your phone at either end.  Both MiWay and the Region of Peel shared a tweet about the service.  No route number, which looks strange.  With the removal of the 53 KENNEDY from Paramount in order to make it to Cooksville GO in time, once life returns to normal should there be additional service?  Right now, the only other way to get there (off peak) is to take the 39 BRITANNIA.  It was a terminal point early on in the MiWay5 planning stages that was subsequently dropped.

I checked Transit55 around the date and time the tweet originally went out.  Bus 1135 didn't show up as being in service doing the shuttle runs during its prescribed times.

MiWay hasn't posted a detour notice about Erin Mills being closed between Britannia and Thomas including both intersections due to a collision involving downed hydro lines (as reported elsewhere) affecting the 9 RATHBURN-THOMAS, 10 BRISTOL-BRITANNIA, 39 BRITANNIA, 48 ERIN MILLS, 49A McDOWELL and 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK at the height of rush hour. 

GO Transit does have a notice for its 21D MILTON bus service through the area:

Bus detour - Route 21D
Westbound route 21D GO Buses are detouring around the area of a police investigation and resulting road closure. The stops on Erin Mills Pkwy at Thomas St., Vista Blvd., Britannia Rd. and Battleford Rd, will not be served. Please use Streetsville GO. 

According to Transit55 the Thomas-based routes (in brown) are detouring via Vista and Wickham to Bell Harbour and then back to Thomas.  The Britannia-based routes are detouring via Millcreek and Erin Mills with the 10 BRISTOL-BRITANNIA (in orange) seeing the shortest detour.  The 39 BRITANNIA (in blue) uses Battleford and Glen Erin to return to route.  The 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK (in red) strangely continues to Aquitaine and then to Meadowvale Town Centre completely bypassing all stops west of Millcreek.  The 48 ERIN MILLS (in green) uses a combination of Glen Erin between Erin Mills Town Centre to Battleford and Erin Mills Town Centre to Windwood before returning to route.  It's a shame there isn't an extension of Windwood between Erin Mills and Hogan so that traffic can bypass the intersection if needed.

image.thumb.png.df5f9da7d2ba5727483aa1ccd4696911.png

Depending on whether or not the drive makes stops along the detour routing, the westbound passengers on the 39 BRITANNIA headed to Meadowvale Town Centre could get off at Glen Erin and shorten their trip.  The rain is holding off this afternoon.  

I'll presume the GO Buses are either using travelling through Streetsville or somehow finding their way directly to Winston Churchill after leaving Streetsville GO station.

This is on the Planning Committee list for May 10 Regarding Dundas BRT stating on PAGE 45

Starting shortly, all southbound lanes from Robert Speck will see 2 lanes close for construction and all bus stop move out from the curb like it is to the north.

Construction starts in June for the elevated LRT over the 403 as well on the Hurontario Overpass. No idea why the overpass is part of the LRT work other than the city getting a free ride or close to it. Traffic lanes will be reduce to 4 lanes and will have some impact on transit service for both cites.

ML has the Port Credit parking lot up for sale and to build a P3 project on it.

Construction has started on the Port Credit LRT Station with the building of the tunnel that will be push under the rail corridor over a few weeks at the end of the year.

Is there an app out there that gives real time for stops for miWay as the 3 I have are off the mark with one still using Islington?? Went to use a 26W a few days ago and saw a bus before Robert Speck that turn out to be a 76. App said I miss one by 2 minutes and the next was in 18 minutes only to show up 5 minutes later. I have yet to see a bus show up as schedule or ahead of schedule.

@drum118

unfortunately, only Transit55 is showing actual service issues, Transit app, has & is the ONLY app, that actually shows the screwed up times.

I lived on the 26/76 for the entire time I lived in Mississauga ( moved back to Toronto, 1 month ago- glad I did)

The MiWay drivers I got to know on those 2 routes, absolutely HATE the routing to Islington-Kipling , most are pissed that they don’t just do the 76 routing from Burnhamthorpe & Westmall, the only reason they don’t, & still service Islington is the whiny/lazy ppl that still DEMAND service to Islington, it’s slated to be reviewed after 6 months of Kipling terminal being opened, (ridership is ridiculously low along that stretch even now.)

(I still work in Mississauga, so still will be using MiWay)

@Gil

I’ll miss running into you, I met a lot of fellow transit ‘geeks’ while living in Mississauga, several actually are in Brampton also!

Thank You for your comments, they mean a lot, I’ll be on here from time to time, I don’t have a lot of ‘spare’ time anymore (working full time, mainly 12hr shifts)

I still have friends who are MiWay & Brampton Transit ops, as I still work in Mississauga, after covid, I’ll be a daily rider again..

#MiwayAccessibility 

The terminal at Westwood won’t change anytime soon, as it’s considered a ‘regional hub’ as 3 systems have buses that go there, MiWay/Brampton Transit had asked the regional accessibility committee for input on a couple of proposed redesign ideas (very early sketches), I was a volunteer on this project, as they know I’m a full time conventional system user (unlike most of the Mississauga AAC members).

I no longer am on the committee, but still have (friends) within city hall, so will keep an eyeball on this.

@drum118

just a heads up, the terminal redesign at DVM, is on hold indefinitely, due to recent massive condo development proposals.

IMO it’s a horrible terminal (major accessibility issues) but as it’s on private property, that’s part of the proposal, it may not exist in 3-5yrs.

I’m keeping an eyeball on it too, as that mall is kinda special to me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tramguy said:

Sunday May 2nd, 1117, southbound on Kennedy, below Rathburn, out of service.

Okay? Buses deadhead all the time out of service.

3 hours ago, Tramguy said:

Sunday May 2nd, 1117, southbound on Kennedy, below Rathburn, out of service.

34 minutes ago, G.A said:

Okay? Buses deadhead all the time out of service.

Plus there is already a thread (which hasn't really been used in nearly 2 years, hence it's been buried by others) in the Sightings section:

5 minutes ago, Gil said:

Plus there is already a thread (which hasn't really been used in nearly 2 years, hence it's been buried by others) in the Sightings section:

The Mississauga Transit Sightings thread has been buried because it has been superceded by the Today's Sightings and Today's Special Sightings threads, both of which cover all GTA transit agencies. Those would be the preferred location for sightings.

3 hours ago, Gil said:

Only reason why it hasn't been used is there's nothing good on the road anymore. Only Nova and Flyer with the few oddballs out there.

This seemed to come out of the blue.  Then again, they did say they were monitoring ridership levels to make sure there was enough capacity on the Derry corridor.

More Service on Derry Road

Starting Monday, May 10, 2021, MiWay will increase passenger carrying capacity on the busiest sections of Derry Road by providing more service in response to ridership demand.

New Route 42A – Derry

• Route 42A – Derry will travel westbound between Westwood Square Transit Terminal and Mavis Road on weekdays between 5 a.m. and 7 p.m. to provide more service on Derry Road.
  • Route 42 – Derry will continue to travel between Westwood Square Transit Terminal and Meadowvale Town Centre.
  • Customers at stops between Westwood Square Transit Terminal and Mavis Road will be provided with five-minute service frequencies using Route 42 – Derry and the new Route 42A – Derry.
  • Customers at stops between Mavis Road and Meadowvale Town Centre Transit Terminal will be provided with ten-minute service frequencies using Route 42 – Derry.
  • No changes to weekend schedules on Route 42 – Derry.

42A_IRM_Apr26_Cropped-762x484-1.png

View the Route 42A – Derry route map (effective May 10).
View the Westwood Square Transit Terminal map (effective May 10).

Any bets on whether this survives once all the COVID restrictions are lifted or is the 104 DERRY EXPRESS a better use of resources?  Both branches will leave from the same platform at Westwood.  What about possible overnight service?  Seeing as Meadowvale Town Centre currently doesn't have any routes serving it overnight, this 42A branch could be a reasonable alternative as it would link Hurontario and Westwood.  It's just the residents along Envoy that might be concerned.  Perhaps routing it to the Hurontario/407 Loop?  It would miss the area between Hurontario and McLaughlin unless they used Maritz as an on-street loop which might seem like a better option.

Also, it's only stated as westbound (the map does too).  Does it return eastbound as a 42 DERRY or deadhead?  A short turn service or perhaps an extension of the 15 DREW might be more useful throughout the day.  It's been a while since MiWay had a unidirectional route (that runs throughout the day and doesn't switch directions at rush hour).

13 hours ago, Gil said:

This seemed to come out of the blue.  Then again, they did say they were monitoring ridership levels to make sure there was enough capacity on the Derry corridor.

More Service on Derry Road

Starting Monday, May 10, 2021, MiWay will increase passenger carrying capacity on the busiest sections of Derry Road by providing more service in response to ridership demand.

New Route 42A – Derry

• Route 42A – Derry will travel westbound between Westwood Square Transit Terminal and Mavis Road on weekdays between 5 a.m. and 7 p.m. to provide more service on Derry Road.
  • Route 42 – Derry will continue to travel between Westwood Square Transit Terminal and Meadowvale Town Centre.
  • Customers at stops between Westwood Square Transit Terminal and Mavis Road will be provided with five-minute service frequencies using Route 42 – Derry and the new Route 42A – Derry.
  • Customers at stops between Mavis Road and Meadowvale Town Centre Transit Terminal will be provided with ten-minute service frequencies using Route 42 – Derry.
  • No changes to weekend schedules on Route 42 – Derry.

42A_IRM_Apr26_Cropped-762x484-1.png

View the Route 42A – Derry route map (effective May 10).
View the Westwood Square Transit Terminal map (effective May 10).

Any bets on whether this survives once all the COVID restrictions are lifted or is the 104 DERRY EXPRESS a better use of resources?  Both branches will leave from the same platform at Westwood.  What about possible overnight service?  Seeing as Meadowvale Town Centre currently doesn't have any routes serving it overnight, this 42A branch could be a reasonable alternative as it would link Hurontario and Westwood.  It's just the residents along Envoy that might be concerned.  Perhaps routing it to the Hurontario/407 Loop?  It would miss the area between Hurontario and McLaughlin unless they used Maritz as an on-street loop which might seem like a better option.

Also, it's only stated as westbound (the map does too).  Does it return eastbound as a 42 DERRY or deadhead?  A short turn service or perhaps an extension of the 15 DREW might be more useful throughout the day.  It's been a while since MiWay had a unidirectional route (that runs throughout the day and doesn't switch directions at rush hour).

I have no idea what ridership was for 42 before COIVD as been too long since I rode the route to say if the 42A is a good option. The 42A route is a good option as it service the employment area compare to 42 where ridership falls west of Hurontario/Mavis. Not sure how to loop the 42A at Mavis other than using the shopping plaza and not sure if the Plaza's will like that.

My take the map is showing the 2 routes that have service in both direction and a waste of resources doing the 15 route.

With the 42A it kills the 142 that I saw as a waste of resources with low ridership from the day it was announce and before going into service.

As for 24 hour service, you need 3 24 hour lines feeding a 42N. Need a route for Meadowvale, Hurontario and a new route from Westwood to the airport to connect with TTC 300's lines.