MiWay

Orion VIII

On 1/24/2021 at 1:36 PM, nfitz said:

Ah, interesting. Looking at the timetable, they have 3 minutes to get from the corner of Auckland and Dundas to the new terminal!

Though all the buses I use use Dundas rather than Bloor

Route 3 use Bloor 100% from Aukland to Mississauga Valley Blvd. Route 26 now use Bloor/Dundas in both direction.

Until Jan 4, all buses used Bloor/Dundas to/from Islington other than 26 that only did it outbound.

It taken a long time to get 53 to Cooksville GO Station as plan.

Something new:

Holiday service on Good Friday

On Good Friday (Friday, April 2, 2021), buses will operate on a holiday schedule and some routes will not operate.

Service will not operate on the following routes due to low customer demand:

• 28 Confederation
  • 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line
  • 46 Tenth Line-Osprey
  • 48 Erin Mills
  • 68 Terry Fox

#KiplingTerminal

a few pics.

43188E4E-873B-4FB1-9291-80087217A31F.jpeg

F062AA9B-05CD-4F49-B345-F6E60479DA44.jpeg

FC39D0F4-C465-4389-9C08-1124F7C20444.jpeg

I did a full 3hr intensive Accessibility Audit at the Kipling Terminal on opening morning (545am-845am) it has a lot of issues.

posted a few pics, but didn’t want to use huge amounts of site storage, so just posted 3 of about 75 that I took.

I’m working deeply with City of Mississauga & MiWay, on Accessibility issues.

After having in-depth discussion with with MiWay & Metrolinx staff, found out that none of them, bothered to access the knowledge of any of the 3 area Accessibility Advisory committees, due to Covid, and unfortunately, it shows.

over 35 issues were found, upper level staff of both MiWay & Metrolinx were present on opening day & were advised, some even asked to have me walk them around & show major issues.

• Thanks 1

MiWay will be purchasing 5 more XDE60s for delivery this year. They will be in MiLocal scheme and replace the remaining 2008 D60LFR buses. 

The purchase is being made by an extension of the existing contract for the previous XDE60 buses. New Flyer has also offered significant price reductions for orders placed in Q1 of 2021, resulting in these buses costing $56,000 less than the 2020 XDE60s. 

-Delivery of buses in 9 months (fall 2021)
-Base price reduction of $13,000
-Provide 2021 Cummins engine at no additional cost $11,000
-Waive all inflation related costs $32,000
Total savings $56,000

https://pub-mississauga.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=9324

• Like 3

On 2/3/2021 at 1:08 AM, buschic said:

#KiplingTerminal

a few pics.

43188E4E-873B-4FB1-9291-80087217A31F.jpeg

F062AA9B-05CD-4F49-B345-F6E60479DA44.jpeg

FC39D0F4-C465-4389-9C08-1124F7C20444.jpeg

I did a full 3hr intensive Accessibility Audit at the Kipling Terminal on opening morning (545am-845am) it has a lot of issues.

posted a few pics, but didn’t want to use huge amounts of site storage, so just posted 3 of about 75 that I took.

I’m working deeply with City of Mississauga & MiWay, on Accessibility issues.

After having in-depth discussion with with MiWay & Metrolinx staff, found out that none of them, bothered to access the knowledge of any of the 3 area Accessibility Advisory committees, due to Covid, and unfortunately, it shows.

over 35 issues were found, upper level staff of both MiWay & Metrolinx were present on opening day & were advised, some even asked to have me walk them around & show major issues.

First of all, this is not a miWay problem to a point, but a Metrolinx thing. Metrolinx is not great when it come to accessibility that it one of the vary last thing to be done and open for most their projects. Its all about people who drive to stations and are able body in the first place. If you use transit or walk-in, you are low on the pole and don't count.

Name a station that has seen accessibility added to it as either a new station or remodel and I can tell you what was no ready on opening day for most of them. Cooksville saw 2 elevators in service before opening day. Opening day saw The Walkway bridge open only to be taken out of service about a week later to finish work on it as it was a show and tell thing. The east entrance elevator didn't open until a few weeks after the official opening.

As for TTC Kipling, one elevator for TTC doesn't cut it and it force riders to use the outside to get to TTC entrance if the elevator out of service. Good thing there are 2 elevators for Kipling Hub at 3 locations.

Clarkson, Oakville, Burlington And Erindale parking structure elevators were not working on opening day and took months to get the 2nd elevator in the new Burlington station to be in service.

Port Credit elevators are a joke as the centre platform is down more than most station. 

You can say what is needed to miWay, but at the end of the day, they have no say or can they force Metrolinx to fix things. Best to go to Phil to get him to deal with accessibility issues.

There are a lot of issues with Kipling and run of the mill since its a Metrolinx thing.

End of the day, 2 elevators are require for any platform or walkway and this applies to any transit system that have elevators.

56 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

It appears some 2010 D60LFR buses have been converted to MiLocal service, an expensive repaint considering MiWay doesn’t seem to care where express and local buses end up

I thought the 1051-1071 series were to retire at 12 years in 2022? If they're investing money in repainting 11 year old buses now I wonder if they're going to keep some of them until its time to retire the 1351-1360 series around 2025? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2822 said:

I thought the 1051-1071 series were to retire at 12 years in 2022? If they're investing money in repainting 11 year old buses now I wonder if they're going to keep some of them until its time to retire the 1351-1360 series around 2025? 

Here's some pics my buddy sent me
unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

• Like 8

2 hours ago, 2822 said:

That is what I am thinking since they don't usually refurbish the articulated buses. More focusing on the regular 40 ft buses to keep them at an 18 year lifecycle. They have ordered 40 ft regular buses the last few years for MiExpress routes other than the 2010 for articulated buses and the recent XDE60 batch.

Especially since the articulated buses are more frequently used on the long haul routes 101 Dundas, 109 Meadowvale and previously 110 University Express. I remember seeing a 1051 to 1072 articulated bus operating at all-times during regular schedule. They have accumulated a lot of mileage over the years with the limited stops. 

2 hours ago, mikenoza said:

Here's some pics my buddy sent me
unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

Thanks for posting the photos. Especially I didn't think they would change the branding of 1051 to 1072. 22 articulated buses being shifted from Express to local routes. Still have plenty of 40 ft MiExpress buses to spare with currently around 83 of them. 

With COVID-19 reductions, they are definitely trying to manage with what is currently available in their fleet and what can be shifted between MiLocal and MiExpress. From the last order dividing the total cost by the units purchased, it is almost $1.26 million/unit for an articulated bus compared to just over $750,000 years ago. 

Buses aren't getting cheaper being around $650,000/unit depending on what kind of options they can get from Nova or New Flyer along with bulk buying power if possible. 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:03 PM, MiExpress said:

70/71/108 - routes changed to no longer use 60' buses with 40' buses used at all times.

Additional COVID service changes

29/36 - Will use Saturday schedule on weekdays (30 minutes frequency all day). Route 29 and 36 will interline.

I guess the 70/71/108 will still see a mix of blue and orange 40 foot buses anyway.

Regarding the 29 and 36. Where and how would they interline? The 29 goes as far north as Erin Mills Station whilst the 36, AFAIK, goes as far south as Dundas and Liard & Ridgeway.

16 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Regarding the 29 and 36. Where and how would they interline? The 29 goes as far north as Erin Mills Station whilst the 36, AFAIK, goes as far south as Dundas and Liard & Ridgeway.

They interline via the Transitway- once 36 gets to WC Station it will go on the Transitway and switch to 29 at Erin Mills Station. iirc they've already been doing this on Saturdays for a while

Just a couple of curiosities...

Have any of the 08 D40LFRs (as well as those in the 09 series), have had any banner ads applied to them along the driver or door sides and/or any half wraps? Seems like the only ads they've had once they were delivered are just a couple of full wraps or only rear ones.
Related, any half wraps to the driver sides of the Novas or XD60s (including the trailors having any banners on the driver-sides?

The MiExpress XDE60s only being in the 101 or the 109. Are these the current routes that they're being tested on or any reason why they haven't been put on perhaps the 103?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 5:17 PM, drum118 said:

First of all, this is not a miWay problem to a point, but a Metrolinx thing. Metrolinx is not great when it come to accessibility that it one of the vary last thing to be done and open for most their projects. Its all about people who drive to stations and are able body in the first place. If you use transit or walk-in, you are low on the pole and don't count.

Name a station that has seen accessibility added to it as either a new station or remodel and I can tell you what was no ready on opening day for most of them. Cooksville saw 2 elevators in service before opening day. Opening day saw The Walkway bridge open only to be taken out of service about a week later to finish work on it as it was a show and tell thing. The east entrance elevator didn't open until a few weeks after the official opening.

As for TTC Kipling, one elevator for TTC doesn't cut it and it force riders to use the outside to get to TTC entrance if the elevator out of service. Good thing there are 2 elevators for Kipling Hub at 3 locations.

Clarkson, Oakville, Burlington And Erindale parking structure elevators were not working on opening day and took months to get the 2nd elevator in the new Burlington station to be in service.

Port Credit elevators are a joke as the centre platform is down more than most station. 

You can say what is needed to miWay, but at the end of the day, they have no say or can they force Metrolinx to fix things. Best to go to Phil to get him to deal with accessibility issues.

There are a lot of issues with Kipling and run of the mill since its a Metrolinx thing.

End of the day, 2 elevators are require for any platform or walkway and this applies to any transit system that have elevators.

I’ve been working with Metrolinx in many ways, over the last 20yrs. (As you know well)

Some things..

Port Credit:

NONE of the shelters on track level are wheelchair accessible, never have been, won’t be until reconstruction is completed.

(during construction, the way out for ppl in wheelchairs is a massive maze, especially from MIWAY & when main station is closed )

Elevators are far past their lifespan, have been since 2011, glass blocks in front are constantly breaking & it’s a huge tripping hazard.

Aldershot:

it’s not even properly AODA compliant, especially stairs & wayfinding between buses & trains.

Cookesville:

Have been working with Metrolinx for a long time on this station, many issues, many accessibility issues & it’s a damm joke.

Dixie:

doors on shelters (accessibility buttons) are constantly being broken by able bodied people KICKING the buttons & slamming doors ( Motors, buttons, are getting destroyed)

New USBT:

So many issues, omg, even the ‘elevator’ from Scotiabank Centre to bus Bridge to NEW USBT is not even able to lift large Power Wheelchairs, nor can most Medical Mobility scooters fit at all.

The bus terminal itself has a lot of issues too!

(Ok I could go on, but I’m not, because the accessibility issues with Metrolinx could fill a massive book.)

ON TO KIPLING..

NONE of the accessibility committees were allowed access to do final walk through last year, (blamed on COVID) nothing has been even discussed with either AAC at metrolinx nor the cities  of Mississauga or Toronto.

(I’m on 2 committees that SHOULD have been deeply involved!, but we haven’t had updates since FALL 2019!)

Kipling GO, doesn’t have wheelchair accessible shelters on train platform & platform is NOT level, will have to be totally replaced within 5yrs.

AODA standards were not even followed, especially in Tunnel, wayfinding (outside path)

I listed over 70 issues.

(I spoke with several high ranking ppl while there, did a 38 page report, with over 40 photos.)

On 2/16/2021 at 5:05 PM, newflyerinvero said:

Just a couple of curiosities...

Have any of the 08 D40LFRs (as well as those in the 09 series), have had any banner ads applied to them along the driver or door sides and/or any half wraps? Seems like the only ads they've had once they were delivered are just a couple of full wraps or only rear ones.
Related, any half wraps to the driver sides of the Novas or XD60s (including the trailors having any banners on the driver-sides?

The MiExpress XDE60s only being in the 101 or the 109. Are these the current routes that they're being tested on or any reason why they haven't been put on perhaps the 103?

Have seen/ridden on it, deadhead from CPG to SQ1/City Hall, was also on it as a photo shoot & accessibility features review last week.

sweet ride & new bus smells are awesome!

http://transit55.com/Mississauga is your friend.

nerdy, very very nerdy. (MiWay, Brampton, Hamilton are all on it)

hope your doing well @newflyerinvero good to see you out here.

MiWay will be adding additional service to Cooksville GO for the April 26 service changes. This follows route 53 being extended to the station effective yesterday (February 22).

Route 4 will be extended to Cooksville GO via Mavis Road and Hillcrest Avenue, replacing route 91 service along Hillcrest. The route will no longer serve Huron Park Recreation Centre.

In addition, route 38 will operate to Cooksville GO via Dundas, Confederaton and Hillcrest. Having routes 4 and 38 serve Cooksville GO gives a proper terminal point for both routes without a on-street loop and better driver washroom facilities.

In addition, route 6 will be modified in the City Centre area to serve the full length of Webb Drive. 

With all these changes, route 91 will be eliminated as most of the routing will be covered by routes 4 and 6.

• Thanks 4

Assuming that Route 39 has been fully transferred over to Malton, as it seems that all buses on the route have been from Malton garage this week. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Got into thinking about what the requirements are/what the process is for transferring a route between garages. Wonder if some of you that are more experienced on this topic can shed some light?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:57 PM, buschic said:

http://transit55.com/Mississauga is your friend.

nerdy, very very nerdy. (MiWay, Brampton, Hamilton are all on it)

hope your doing well @newflyerinvero good to see you out here.

Great to see you back here @buschic I've missed having you around!  I may have also run into on the bus last year.

When Brampton was added to Transit55 I sent them a message asking if it were possible to eventually show both MiWay and Brampton Transit on the same map.  It'll probably take some tweaking to distinguish between the two networks, but seeing how interconnected they are it would be useful.  Currently on Hurontario, I flip between the Mississauga and Brampton maps to see whose bus is coming first!

On 2/23/2021 at 7:24 PM, MiExpress said:

MiWay will be adding additional service to Cooksville GO for the April 26 service changes. This follows route 53 being extended to the station effective yesterday (February 22).

Route 4 will be extended to Cooksville GO via Mavis Road and Hillcrest Avenue, replacing route 91 service along Hillcrest. The route will no longer serve Huron Park Recreation Centre.

In addition, route 38 will operate to Cooksville GO via Dundas, Confederaton and Hillcrest. Having routes 4 and 38 serve Cooksville GO gives a proper terminal point for both routes without a on-street loop and better driver washroom facilities.

In addition, route 6 will be modified in the City Centre area to serve the full length of Webb Drive. 

With all these changes, route 91 will be eliminated as most of the routing will be covered by routes 4 and 6.

Here's a link to the details of the changes for anyone interested: https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/service-changes/upcoming-changes-to-route-4-38-and-91/

IRM_Route4_Apr26.pngIRM_Route38_Apr26-1.pngHillcrestAve-Map_Apr26.png

Why the abandonment of Westdale Mall?  Are residents on Cedarglen complaining about too many buses?  The extension of the 38 CREDITVIEW makes up for the loss of the interlined 68 TERRY FOX/91 HILLCREST, which I guess will be running solo when these changes take effect.  The few times I was on the 91 HILLCREST, the schedule was so padded that the drivers usually waited out their time on Mavis north of Hillcrest.  As for the 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS I hope that once all of the work on Duke of York is done it'll be a more direct route into City Centre without having to slalom all around the place!

I'm hoping that with the changes to the 4 SHERWAY GARDENS they decide to rename it, ideally back to its original name APPLEWOOD.  It seemed strange that they'd name a route after one of the terminus points.  Though given MiWay's penchant for long hyphenated names, APPLEWOOD-COOKSVILLE (GO) would be acceptable.  COOKSVILLE (GO)-SHERWAY GARDENS seems like a worse, though very plausible option too.  If you're heading east of Hurontario and happen to miss the 4 leaving Cooksville GO, if you hurry you may be able walk down to King St. to catch the same bus!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems not everyone is following the movements and retirements recently. I have seen the posts off from a Facebook group. To summarize:

• #1357-#1360 were transferred to Malton.
  • #0876, #0878 and #0884 have been retired with #0858, #0861, #0865, #0875 and #0881 scrapped.
  • Like 1

It's still a month out from the next Service Change so the revised schedules aren't available just yet, but I'm wondering what the schedule on the 68 TERRY FOX will be like without the interline on the 91 HILLCREST.  The current weekend schedule when the 91 HILLCREST doesn't run is a 50-minute headway.  Doubling the number of buses will get us up to a 25-minute headway which I don't know would be frequent enough for rush hours.

The route is scheduled around a timed transfer with the 38 CREDITVIEW at Britannia, so they'd obviously keep that connection in place.  It just makes for some non-clockface scheduling without padding the route at the ends to make it a full hour round trip.  The revised routing at the south end of the 38 CREDITVIEW will likely also impact the schedule of the 68 TERRY FOX.

Once the bridge work at the 401 is completed, would extending the 68 TERRY FOX up to Financial make sense?  Still waiting for the City to reveal its Next 5 plan (which should really just use the target year -- what do we call the subsequent plan?) while we wait for the last pieces of the first plan that were delayed by COVID. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, Gil said:

It's still a month out from the next Service Change so the revised schedules aren't available just yet, but I'm wondering what the schedule on the 68 TERRY FOX will be like without the interline on the 91 HILLCREST.  The current weekend schedule when the 91 HILLCREST doesn't run is a 50-minute headway.  Doubling the number of buses will get us up to a 25-minute headway which I don't know would be frequent enough for rush hours.

The route is scheduled around a timed transfer with the 38 CREDITVIEW at Britannia, so they'd obviously keep that connection in place.  It just makes for some non-clockface scheduling without padding the route at the ends to make it a full hour round trip.  The revised routing at the south end of the 38 CREDITVIEW will likely also impact the schedule of the 68 TERRY FOX.

Once the bridge work at the 401 is completed, would extending the 68 TERRY FOX up to Financial make sense?  Still waiting for the City to reveal its Next 5 plan (which should really just use the target year -- what do we call the subsequent plan?) while we wait for the last pieces of the first plan that were delayed by COVID. 

The 68's new weekday schedule will be 25-30 minutes during the day (start of service to 9pm) and approximately every 50 minutes during the late evening (9pm to 1am). The service levels during the day almost match the current frequency however the late evening service is cut from 30 minutes to approximately 50 minutes.

Finally made it to the Kipling Terminal tonight, didn't get the chance to do a thorough look around the terminal.  Noticed a few of the automatic doors weren't working, which is probably frustrating for those who rely on them.  The facility is only a few month old and I'm hoping they were simply turned off (why?) rather than broken.  There were also a few screens within the terminal that were off.  I presume these would be the ones displaying ALL of the departures which would be useful given their location.  Without that screen in operation you have to go to the actual platform and consult the individual screen there if you're not consulting an online schedule.  Which led me to discover another terminal without wifi.  Given its location outside of Mississauga I'm not sure if municipal wifi would be a consideration.  Once GO starts their bus service maybe they can provide the wifi?

I was trying to catch the 35 EGLINTON and consulting the terminal map I knew it was at the southwest end.  However the interior of the terminal doesn't go all the way to that end, so what I thought was the door to Platform 15 was actually Platform 14 and missed my bus.  There are the movable signs at each set of doors, but the text identifying the route should be larger to be seen at a distance.  Hopefully more permanent signage over the door like what the TTC does at their stations is coming.  I'm torn between mounting them either immediately over the door or perpendicular to the door for better visibility (as long as it's big enough).

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2021 at 1:29 PM, Eren Jaeger said:

Seems not everyone is following the movements and retirements recently. I have seen the posts off from a Facebook group. To summarize:

• #1357-#1360 were transferred to Malton.
  • #0876, #0878 and #0884 have been retired with #0858, #0861, #0865, #0875 and #0881 scrapped.

0332,0549,0572,0729,0803,1119 and 1751 are at Malton. 

We all know that all the 0601-0653s are at Malton

0301-0302 at Malton

0501-16 at Malton

1301-1310 not including 1303 are at Malton

1351-1357 is at Malton

0851s that are not retired at Malton

The rest are at Central. Please feel free to update my list if there are more at Malton. :)

18 hours ago, ttcbusdude said:

0332,0549,0572,0729,0803,1119 and 1751 are at Malton. 

We all know that all the 0601-0653s are at Malton

0301-0302 at Malton

0501-16 at Malton

1301-1310 not including 1303 are at Malton

1351-1357 is at Malton

0851s that are not retired at Malton

The rest are at Central. Please feel free to update my list if there are more at Malton. :)

0851 already retired and already sold to Niagara Region Transit.

D60LFR 1070 already repainted to MiLocal livery. Just saw it today while on 66. Unfortunately I did not have a chance to take a photos as bus was moving fast.